Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblepsilocybinocean
a healthy mind
 User Gallery

Trying microwave to sterilize substrate.
    #6186975 - 10/19/06 03:31 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I've heard just a little about being able to PF tek your substrate, then instead of mason jars, use a low profile GLADWARE microwaveable container. I've tried this so far, it seems to work, (I just dont' want to waste a syringe in case it isn't possible. Anyone had any experience with this?

--------------------
We got the power, yeah! motherfuckers it's where it belongs.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Trying microwave to sterilize substrate. [Re: psilocybinocean]
    #6187220 - 10/19/06 04:34 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

lots of people have experience with it.  the problem is they all sing the same tune "i'm trying the microwave and will report back!" and then never report back.  probably because they're too embarassed to admit it didn't work.  then of course the people who did get lucky with it raise a stink because they think they're proving us all wrong, when the reality is exactly that: they got lucky.  simply put, you're not going to find a representative or accurate answer as to how well the method works, and if you do some looking around you'll find dozens of threads that show that.

microwave sterilization CAN work, so yes its possible... many things are "possible"... :smile:  however its spotty at best.  if you won't go the route of a pressure cooker, do yourself a favor and steam sterilize in a regular old pot of water - this is proven as a highly successful way to handle your PF cakes.  you'll have lots of chances to screw things up when you're a new grower, why you'd want to leave the fundamental aspect of sterilizing your jars up to chance is beyond me, when considering steam sterilization is an effective alternative already.

Invisiblepsilocybinocean
a healthy mind
 User Gallery

Re: Trying microwave to sterilize substrate. [Re: creamcorn]
    #6189503 - 10/20/06 04:43 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

true true. I just figured it would be easier. but then i thought that if you do 1 container and mic it for 10 mins. that means for appx. 12 containers it would be 2 hours of mic-ing, i'll probably
just PC 8 or so jars, and try to mic a few, just to be exploritave. Thanks for the feeedback.

--------------------
We got the power, yeah! motherfuckers it's where it belongs.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures