Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleTheEnd
Strange Daze

First Grow log - PF-Tek w/PF strain - UPDATE 10/19-pics
    #6169276 - 10/14/06 03:19 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Alright, first off I just have to thank the Shroomery for such an awesome website and a community of great people that are always willing to help each other out, thank you EVERYONE that ever made a post or thread that I found useful in any way, those of you that ever replied to any of my posts, and those of you especially that were patient enough with me to answer my stupid questions and point me to the right teks or threads. Even to those of you who simply said: "USE THE FUCKING SEARCH BUTTON!", because eventually we all need to learn that rule of thumb :smirk:.

Now for my first grow! :laugh:

I ordered my spore syringe from Spores101. After reading up on the PF-tek and getting in that sort of mind set, I decided to go with the PF strain for my very first growing experience, I figured if I was going to do the PF-tek, why not go PF all the way?! :wink:

I followed the PF-tek as well as I possibly could, only straying far enough away to steam the jars instead of using a pressure cooker. If I had one available to me I would have.

Before I used anything to mix/measure the substrate or anything else, I wiped it down with a 99% rubbing alcohol.

I used a sharpened nail and made 4 holes in each lid (I used the upside down lid method on all of my jars).

I mixed 1/2 cup vermiculite(fairly coarse because it was the only kind I could find, everyone seemed to be sold out), 1/4 cup BRF(prepackaged flour), and 1/4 cup distilled spring water. Mixed it well with a spoon in a bowl and then loosely filled the 1/2 pint wide mouth Kerr jar. I put the lid on and tighted the band on the jar, slammed it gently on my hand to pack down the substrate, then took off the lid, wiped the lip with a paper towel, an filled the remaining space with dry vermiculite(approximately 1/2-5/8 inch depth). Then I put the lid back on(upside down), and tightened the band. Then placed masking tape over all 4 holes in. Then covered the lids with foil. I did this 5 seperate times, one time for each jar, making sure my ingredients were measured and mixed consistantly.

For steaming, I used a large pot with a glass lid(fit fairly snug). I didn't think to use a towel, instead I unwound a coat hanger and wound it around the bottom of the pot, making a sort of screen to set the jars on(I know, GHETTO :rolleyes:). I tend to MacGyver things more often than needed, lol. I filled the pot with approximately 1 inch of distilled spring water, and brought to a boil. I placed the jars inside the pot, put the lid on, and then used a long peice of duct tape over the lid to keep it down as tight as possible. I turned down the heat gradually over about 5 minutes, making sure to keep a gentle boil bot not a rolling boil. I let them boil for an hour and fifteen minutes, then turn off the heat and let them cool in the pot.

Once the jars were cool enough to touch, I removed them from the pot, wiped them down with a dry cloth, and let them sit overnight to cool.

The next day I inoculated them.

I used rubbing alcohol to flame the tip, but I didn't heat it so that the needle got red hot, thus being that I didn't want the needle to get so hot that it started melting the plastic on the syringe. Anyways...I drew in about 1cc of air so that I could shake the syringe to loosen the spores, then pushed it in again until it dripped once. I poured a little bit of 99% rubbing alcohol onto the top of an upside down glass, stuck the needle in the middle of the flame until it started sputtering water out of the tip of the needle, then pushed out until it started to drip. I injected approximately .25cc into each hole in each jar, making sure that each jar got at least 1cc spore solution. In between jars, I wiped the needle clean and inserted it back into its protective cap. I made sure to shake the syringe before I flamed the needle for each jar.

After inoculation was complete, I placed all 5 jars into my half ass incubator, which consisted of a rubbermaid tub covered with a black blanket, and heated with a small desk lamp with a 60w bulb. Again...GHETTO :spank:  I had a digital thermometer on the inside of the tub, and unfortunately the temp fluctuated quite a lot, usually inbetween 68-80F. I wasn't sure how committed I was to this as a hobby yet, or if it was just a one time thing that might not even work out, so I didn't do things totally right...now I know better and have things situated a lot better.

Here are pics of the jars and their progress:

Day-1: Right after inoculation(9/16/06)

Day-4

Day-7

Day-11

Day-16

Day-20

Day-26: Birth-DAY! Dunked the cakes for just under 24 hours in the fridge in a rubbermaid type tupperware container, completely submerged. Then rolled in dry vermiculite and set them on tin foil on top of the perlite. I strained the perlite under tap water before adding it to the FC, then added a little extra water. Theres approximately 1.5 inches of perlite with about 1/2-3/4 inch water.

This was my FC before I modified it.

And this is after I modified it. I got the plexi-glass from Home Depot for just over $2.00(pre-cut) and sealed it with silicone. I got the weather station at Home Depot also for $17.99.

40w fluorescent bulb(looks dim compared to the flash on my camera)

I mist and fan the chamber 3-4 times a day. I have the fluorescent light directly on it for about 6 hours each day, and there is a little bit of indirect light approximately 18 hours each day(I'm up late and sitting on the computer with my desk lamp on :dancing: The temperature fluctuates in between 68-72F, humidity stays at 95%.

I'll keep updating this post with new pics of the progress as I go. Please feel free to post all/any of your input and suggestions! I greatly appreciate all feedback! Thanks again guys, Shroomery kicks SO MUCH ASS!

--------------------

Edited by g2_93integra_boy (10/19/06 11:16 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinethongster
Home Grown Hero
Male

Loc: Down The Street
Re: First Grow log - PF-Tek w/PF strain - PICS [Re: TheEnd]
    #6169320 - 10/14/06 03:37 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Nice Job I love the growth pics its a very nice time line, i have the same temp gage as you lol

--------------------
"In the land of the limbless the one-armed drummer is king"

Sidewalk Chemist

First Time Tripping My Story

OfflineTahoe58
adapt.....orperish.....
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mongolia
Re: First Grow log - PF-Tek w/PF strain - PICS [Re: thongster]
    #6169575 - 10/14/06 05:32 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

oh man...this looks freakin awesome...ypour stuff looks perfect....by the book....we are so on the same path....I'm at day 3 on my colonization, every jar has a little bit of myc visible...and I AM WAITING.....oh how I hate waiting.....but patience.....things are looking good....what temp/humidity where your incubating at? I used rye flour and verm.....I am scared about the dunking....don't want to fuck things up.....but it would seem like that is the thing to do....yea this is my first grow.....and will be the first time I've done shrooms in more than 20 years....holy crap man....am I stoked or what!

--------------------
Its all about perspective.....spend more time "being, less time "doing"

InvisibleTheEnd
Strange Daze

Re: First Grow log - PF-Tek w/PF strain - PICS [Re: Tahoe58]
    #6170754 - 10/15/06 01:11 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

For about the first 2 and a half weeks they were incubating in a tub where the temp fluctuated in between about 68-80F, but then I made a TiT incubater and had it at a steady 81-83F. I don't have a weather station in my incubater, just a thermometer, theres not really any need to know the humidity when its just the jars sitting inside(at least thats my thinking). So for the most part, these jars were not incubating at the optimum temperatures, but still colonized fairly well. I guess the PF-tek is suggested for noobs for obvious reasons...if you're actually TRYING to do things right, its hard to fuck up.

I'll be using my next jars for casing with hpoo for my next grow, I want to get better yields than what cakes are capable of, plus I want to continue to expand my knowledge of shroom cultivation. But I'm glad I did the PF-tek, so that I can at least say that I did it this way and know what methods I prefer later down the road.

--------------------

InvisibleTheEnd
Strange Daze

#6172449 - 10/15/06 04:35 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

UPDATE!!!

DAY-29: Only 3 days after birthing!

The very first pins showed up this morning! I didn't even notice them when I fanned the FC cause I was so tired, my friend noticed them for me when he did his routine check :dancing: .

But here are the pics! We've counted 4 pins so far.

I named this guy Cartman!

Another view of Cartman

--------------------

Offlineandyspof
Stranger
    #6172565 - 10/15/06 05:04 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Looking Great! Never grown pf strain myself.

OfflineTahoe58
adapt.....orperish.....
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mongolia
Re: First Grow log - PF-Tek w/PF strain - PICS [Re: andyspof]
    #6172603 - 10/15/06 05:12 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

stil looking great....congrats man....keep the pics coming....I should be able to post pics of my colonization soon as it is picking up real fast.....fuck I am excited!

--------------------
Its all about perspective.....spend more time "being, less time "doing"

InvisibleTheEnd
Strange Daze

Re: First Grow log - PF-Tek w/PF strain - PICS [Re: Tahoe58]
    #6173544 - 10/15/06 09:57 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Can anyone estimate for me when these cakes will be be ready to harvest the first flush?

--------------------

InvisibleTheEnd
Strange Daze

#6175653 - 10/16/06 04:10 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

How many times should I be fanning the FC? IDEALLY? And should I mist the walls each time I fan, or just some of the time? I'd like to do the best that I can at controlling the grow, if I can. So if you guys know what I should be doing any better or differently, PLEASE speak up! Thanks guys/gals.

--------------------

OfflineShroomeyfinder
Happy hunting in Humboldt!
Male

Loc: Humboldt County
    #6175742 - 10/16/06 04:34 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I have heard fanning every hour helps alot, but fanning about 5 times a day would probably be fine (once every couple of hours if you can).

--------------------
Let us go dance into the night....and let the vibe of hundreds of awesome people surround us... let us get to know eatchother and everyone else..emotionally..spirtually..and mentally..please..can I hold you close..and protect you...can you hold me close and protect me...because even equivalent exchange must play it's role in a relationship...I want to find you, you are somewhere out there my lover...

Edited by Shroomeyfinder (10/16/06 04:35 PM)

InvisibleTheEnd
Strange Daze

Re: First Grow log - PF-Tek w/PF strain - PICS [Re: Shroomeyfinder]
    #6175898 - 10/16/06 05:15 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Alright cool, thanks. How about misting? Should I mist everytime I fan too? Or is that over doing it?

--------------------

OfflineCryogenicz
what?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #6175910 - 10/16/06 05:19 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

This is a Great example of a PF-tek Log..

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
Mushroom Spawn, Cultures, Fungi Bags, Casings, Master Grain Jars, Bags for In-vitro, Laboratory supplies, and much more!
Mushroom Supplies. Fast Turnaround Times. Great Service.
orders@mycopath.com
enter code shroomery for 10% off product.

www.FungiForum.com

InvisibleTheEnd
Strange Daze

Re: First Grow log - PF-Tek w/PF strain - PICS [Re: Cryogenicz]
    #6176472 - 10/16/06 08:31 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Cryogenicz said:
This is a Great example of a PF-tek Log..

Thanks man! I have a mild case of ocd, so that probably helps :wink:.

--------------------

InvisibleTheEnd
Strange Daze

#6181409 - 10/18/06 06:27 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Well I've got a total of about 13 pins/mushies now, nothing great, but their are still a couple that pop up each day, and it makes me really happy whenever I find a new one.

I've had a strange thing happen though. The biggest shroom(the one I named Cartman) has already broken it's veil, and it's only about 1.5" long and .5" thick. Very strange for this to happen so soon, I wasn't expecting this at all. The rest of the pins have been making somewhat slow but steady growth, and no others have broken their veils.

My card reader isn't working correctly right now, so I'm not able to post any pics at the moment, but I'm going to try to use my friends computer and see if his will upload the pics when I wake up.

Started fanning more often(about 8-10 times a day), and raised the temp of the room a bit so that the FC is around 72-75F, and I'm going to make a point of keeping the temps as close to 76F as possible all day to see if I can't get these shrooms to grow a bit bigger before they break their damn veils. Anyways, it's bedtime. Updated pics VERY SOON!

--------------------

OfflineMophead526
Fuel The World
Male User Gallery

#6181458 - 10/18/06 07:21 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Great Job, Looks awesome. More pics!! It's coming along so nicely. :grin:

--------------------
My First Grow!

InvisibleTheEnd
Strange Daze

Re: First Grow log - PF-Tek w/PF strain - PICS [Re: Mophead526]
    #6183607 - 10/18/06 06:35 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Used my friends comp to upload these pics cause I still can't get my card reader to work, it might be my computer...but anyways, here is the recent progress over the last 3 days.

DAY-30

DAY-31
Alrighty...well yay for upload limits :rolleyes:  I'll have to update this post tomorrow. Sorry guys.

--------------------

OfflineShroomeyfinder
Happy hunting in Humboldt!
Male

Loc: Humboldt County
    #6184191 - 10/18/06 09:00 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

g2_93integra_boy said:
Alright cool, thanks. How about misting? Should I mist everytime I fan too? Or is that over doing it?

Im new to cultivation too but ya I think misting after fanning them is probably good, because fanning causes evaporation.

--------------------
Let us go dance into the night....and let the vibe of hundreds of awesome people surround us... let us get to know eatchother and everyone else..emotionally..spirtually..and mentally..please..can I hold you close..and protect you...can you hold me close and protect me...because even equivalent exchange must play it's role in a relationship...I want to find you, you are somewhere out there my lover...

Edited by Shroomeyfinder (10/18/06 09:01 PM)

Offlinelil_demented
Loner will lone
Male User Gallery
Re: First Grow log - PF-Tek w/PF strain - PICS [Re: Shroomeyfinder]
    #6184232 - 10/18/06 09:09 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

don't mist pins directly, it will cause them to abort

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: First Grow log - PF-Tek w/PF strain - PICS [Re: lil_demented]
    #6184365 - 10/18/06 09:44 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

don't mist pins directly, it will cause them to abort

Not true. Gentle misting will not cause pins to abort. In fact, failing to mist will limit your yields. Remember, mushrooms love water!

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

InvisibleTheEnd
Strange Daze

Re: First Grow log - PF-Tek w/PF strain - PICS [Re: dog]
    #6184530 - 10/18/06 10:36 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I've been misting straight into the air about 2 feet about the cakes with a very fine mist and letting it gently fall, and also misting the sides of the FC. The mushies seem to like the more frequent mistings and fanning, and keeping the temps around 75F has boosted their growth rate. I'll update again tomorrow with the rest of the pics.

--------------------

InvisibleTheEnd
Strange Daze

#6188701 - 10/19/06 11:15 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Well a couple of the shrooms took off last night, and I've got 2 decent sized ones now(comparatively), and the rest are slowly making their way. I didn't get to finish my update last night, so I'll add those pics first, then add the ones from yesterday and today.

Here they are! :rockon:

DAY-31

DAY-32

DAY-33 (10/19)

I have more, but I've reached my upload limit again :banghead: . I'll post again tomorrow night.

What do you guys think so far? I know there aren't very many mushies, and that their not monsters or anything, but I'm hoping that the second flush is stronger. There are about 6 little ones that I expect to grow quite a bit more within the next 2-3 days. When do I decide that the first flush is done, if their are still pins coming up? I don't want the bigger shrooms to go bad or anything while waiting for the rest to try and catch up  :shrug:

--------------------

Offline5t3v3
sirsmokesalot
Male User Gallery

#6188915 - 10/20/06 12:02 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

hells yea my friend. let those big ones open up a little and use em for prints. thats how my cakes are. not alot of shrooms, just a couple biguns. no set flushes. wierd but whatever. you grew some, nice job. :mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:
-steve-

OfflineWestnile
Disease yo!

Re: First Grow log - PF-Tek w/PF strain - PICS [Re: 5t3v3]
    #6188963 - 10/20/06 12:14 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

GJ.
You gonna be moving on to casings? Grains? Bulk subs? for your next grow. With teh success of PF cakes the mushroom world is your oyster. Edibles?

Invisiblegema
Freedom from the Known

Loc: t(here)
Re: First Grow log - PF-Tek w/PF strain - UPDATE 10/19-pics [Re: TheEnd]
    #6189147 - 10/20/06 12:59 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Why don't you post this in the Grow forum?

Offline5t3v3
sirsmokesalot
Male User Gallery

Re: First Grow log - PF-Tek w/PF strain - UPDATE 10/19-pics [Re: gema]
    #6189169 - 10/20/06 01:05 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Are you serious???What the fuck does cultivate mean?

Invisiblegema
Freedom from the Known

Re: First Grow log - PF-Tek w/PF strain - UPDATE 10/19-pics [Re: 5t3v3]
    #6189179 - 10/20/06 01:07 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

He's basically showing a grow log.

Offline5t3v3
sirsmokesalot
Male User Gallery

#6189180 - 10/20/06 01:07 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

my bad. move it to the grow forum. pronto. :bongload:

Offline5t3v3
sirsmokesalot
Male User Gallery

#6189188 - 10/20/06 01:10 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

rabbit would have moved it by now.

Invisiblegema
Freedom from the Known

#6189193 - 10/20/06 01:12 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Might as well keep it here, it's been here long enough. I don't give a fuck.

InvisibleTheEnd
Strange Daze

Re: First Grow log - PF-Tek w/PF strain - UPDATE 10/19-pics [Re: gema]
    #6189250 - 10/20/06 01:30 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Before I ever started this thread, I tried posting in the Grow Log section, and for some reason when I rolled over "Post", it wouldn't highlight and I couldn't click it, so I just figured I would start it in here since a lot of others have their grow logs in here. Trust me guys, I tried!  :shrug:  :sorry:

Oh, and I've got 7 pf jars that are just about 100% colonized on the outside, they'll be done tomorrow morning, and I plan on casing them using the 50/50 verm/peat moss. Do you guys recommend using Calcium Carbonate and crushed oyster shell in the casing mixtures? I was reading Hyphea's Pinning Strategy, and wondering if it will make that much of a difference to add those, or if it's not really worth it since I'm on a tight budget.

--------------------

Edited by g2_93integra_boy (10/20/06 01:40 AM)

Offlinebigshroom
Stranger

#6190743 - 10/20/06 12:17 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I am not 100% sure but I would use ground up egg shells if you are on a tight budget. They will be a long term ph buffer. I used a coffee grinder and turned the shells into a powder. You can never add
to much (from what I heard) because it will only lower it to a certain lvl. This is only for a long term buffer I am pretty sure lime will bring it to the right lvl right away.

--------------------
Everything posted is fake and for fun...

Cheapest Mya Saray Hookahs on the internet. http://www.hookah-nation.com/

InvisibleTheEnd
Strange Daze

Re: First Grow log - PF-Tek w/PF strain - UPDATE 10/19-pics [Re: bigshroom]
    #6191326 - 10/20/06 02:30 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Well I was reading how Hyphae(sp?) said that some people were having problems with their horticultural lime burning up the mycellium and causing it to stop growing, cause the alkaline levels were too
high or something, and he suggested using calcium carbonate instead, thats why I was asking. I think I might just do peat/verm and not do any additives and see how my results turn out.

But we're getting off subject now.

I've cut the cap off of one of the shrooms which veil had completely tore and fully open, starting to turn real dark brown around the edges of the cap, so I clipped the cap off and am making a spore
print at the moment with that one. Another has also torn it's veil, but the cap isn't fully open yet, and there are a few other shrooms that I'm hoping will get close to doubling in size by
tonight(hopeful) if things go well. I think I'm probably about 1-1/2 days until harvest of the first flush. After which I will dunk for about 12 hours and put them back into the FC.

I'll update with more pics when that time has come.

Thanks for all your help and support guys/gals! :peace:

--------------------

InvisibleTheEnd
Strange Daze

#6192501 - 10/20/06 08:55 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

:tongue2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :tongue2:

I have picked 3 of the shrooms so far, one of them was really small but wasn't growing anymore, the other 2 were decent sized. The weight of those 3 were 27g wet. There are 6 others that have good growth rate, which will probably be done and ready to pick either late late tonight, or tomorrow when I wake up. I'm hoping for at least 7g dried for the total dry weight of the first flush. Still can't get my card reader to work, so I'll try to post more pics tomorrow.

--------------------

InvisibleTheEnd
Strange Daze

#6194957 - 10/21/06 05:47 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Alright, well I picked all of the shrooms last night and tripped with my friend. I wasn't getting too many more pins and I wanted to start the second flush(which I have a feeling is going to be a lot better as far as size and the amount of shrooms I get off of them go). There were a few that weren't even close to mature yet, but were picked anyway. The total wet weight of all of them was only 47g, but it sure did the trick! :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineWestnile
Disease yo!

#6195023 - 10/21/06 06:06 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

The products of a successful grow. Awesome that you had a good trip. Also, your new avatar pwns your old one in the face 10x over.

InvisibleTheEnd
Strange Daze

Re: First Grow log - PF-Tek w/PF strain - UPDATE 10/19-pics [Re: Westnile]
    #6195500 - 10/21/06 07:53 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Haha, thanks. I took the photograph then just messed a bit with it in photoshop. Glad you like you. It actually started out as smoke produced from a light bulb without any glass.

I won't bother doing step by step photo's anymore, but I'll probably continue with take a pic of the pins and then mature fruits. I'll be starting some casings real soon, so that'll be my new project :laugh:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates