Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineqwertymkonji
on a stick
Male User Gallery

Loc: Universe
Inducing ego death?
    #6144107 - 10/07/06 05:14 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Is there any way to induce ego death while tripping? The only time I've ever gotten it was on hawaiian baby woodrose and I wasn't expecting it. I was going about my normal business, and all of a sudden I was in a time loop, dying, experiencing "hell", then experiencing bliss and then rebirth.

But is there any way to induce this on different psychedelics? Meditation perhaps? Is there some sort of guide? This is usually the main goal of my trips. Visions, not visuals. So if anybody has any advice they can give me, I'd appreciate it very much.

qwerty

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhishe
Lysergic Bliss
Male User Gallery

Loc: Planet Earth
Re: Inducing ego death? [Re: qwertymkonji]
    #6144539 - 10/07/06 07:47 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

http://www.erowid.org/library/books_onli...e.shtml#2.2.2.1

Edit- Normally eating a lot of mushrooms or acid could take you there.
But i don't advise that.

Edited by Phishe (10/07/06 07:48 PM)

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

Re: Inducing ego death? [Re: Phishe]
    #6144704 - 10/07/06 08:48 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Ego death cannot be 'induced' - induction implies intent.  Intent implies an 'I' - and as the old adage says, "There's no 'I' in 'ego death'."

:tongue:

--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

Offlinejonathanseagull
Cool!
Male

Re: Inducing ego death? [Re: Lion]
    #6144785 - 10/07/06 09:18 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

As long as there is a "you" trying to to induce ego death, you'll never get there. The "you" part means there is still an ego desiring, which means your ego is still to strong to let go.

--------------------
Loving in truth, and fain in verse my love to show, That the dear She might take some pleasure of my pain: Pleasure might cause her read, reading might make her know, Knowledge might pity win, and pity grace obtain.

Offlineyageman
already dead
 User Gallery

Re: Inducing ego death? [Re: jonathanseagull]
    #6144894 - 10/07/06 09:51 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Nah, you can help "ego death" along. Try meditation?

There are ways to consciously induce ego death.

Sensory deprivation is another way to help.

A dark room in silence helps.

So my point is, just because you intend on acheiving any degree of ego-loss, doesnt mean your not going to get there.

Alot of what has been said is misleading.

In the same way that we can fight ego loss, we can get there more easily aswell. You could say one can "induce" ego-loss......

--------------------
[quote]Me_Roy said:
You moron. Material is material is material.  No 'thing' fixes any situation.  If anything were so simple we would be living in a much better world.[/quote] <-----the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life.
Thanks shroomery.

Edited by yageman (10/07/06 10:14 PM)

OfflineShroominFL
crazy man
 User Gallery

Re: Inducing ego death? [Re: yageman]
    #6144962 - 10/07/06 10:12 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I achieved ego loss with about 3.3 grams of very portent mushroom powder soaked in lemon juice for about 15-20 mins. Basically you revert back to an infantile state doing whatever you want not knowing the consequences. After you start to come down and your ego returns its almost if "the parents" got home and you have to face reality again. While in ego loss though i could barley move i had the motor reflexes and grasping ability of a toddler. However, for the most part i was in a visual sea going and doing whatever i wanted inside my own head. I recommend everyone get to that ego loss state in order to explore the universe around us.

--------------------
You only live once...leave with no regrets.

Offlinejonathanseagull
Cool!
Male

#6145014 - 10/07/06 10:30 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

yageman said:
Nah, you can help "ego death" along.  Try meditation?

So my point is, just because you intend on acheiving any degree of ego-loss, doesnt mean your not going to get there.

In the same way that we can fight ego loss, we can get there more easily aswell.  You could say one can "induce" ego-loss......

I agree with what you said, disagreeing with what I said :wink:  I think I was just a little too strong with my explanations.

What I meant was that, someone who has never spent a moment looking inside themself, trying to better themselves and not be under the control of the mind and emotions, etc, is going to have a hard time achieving ego death.  It's not something that's like "the higher a dose I take, the more likely I'll get it".  My first ego death experience could have occurred on one hit of acid, but I fought it because I was scared.  7 months later, it finally happened without any drugs since that time.  It happened with meditation, because throughout that time I had grown enough to "induce" it that way.  So yes, it is inducable, but it's not like you can just hear about ego death and be like "I think i'll try that, how do I do it?".  Not saying that that is the case of the thread maker...eh, you know what i mean!

--------------------
Loving in truth, and fain in verse my love to show, That the dear She might take some pleasure of my pain: Pleasure might cause her read, reading might make her know, Knowledge might pity win, and pity grace obtain.

Offlinekungpow
SeasonedPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: AaAaAaAa
Re: Inducing ego death? [Re: jonathanseagull]
    #6145238 - 10/07/06 11:37 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I was listening to a talk by terrence mckenna on psychadelic salon the other night and while I was listening I heard a nice little phrase. He believe the problem in dosage is that people usually take too little. What this does is show you part of it, but not everything. When you take too little there is still part of yourself there and you tend to fight the ego loss.

I have had this problem with attaining ego loss myself. I really want it but for some reason when I get to a state where it could happen I change my thoughts or get up and do something else. It isn't like I mean to do these things they just happen.

When you take an extremely large dose there is no fighting. No building a fear to the mushrooms. You just get knocked into this experience and you try to bring as much back from it as you can.

Ego loss is something that not every person in the world wants to experience. An experience like that would scare the shit out of some people but for us select few it sort of answers questions in our lives.

You can't die directly from mushrooms, especially if you have a sitter. If you would like to get ego loss my suggestion is to get a sitter and go all out. The worst that could happen is you would get the shit scared out of you but in the end you will be back to normal.

~peace out

--------------------
Monotub #3 - check out my best grow to date!!!!

Invisiblemungojerry
free as a bird
Male User Gallery
Loc: Nappy Dub
    #6145345 - 10/08/06 12:06 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

yageman said:
Nah, you can help "ego death" along. Try meditation?

In the same way that we can fight ego loss, we can get there more easily aswell. You could say one can "induce" ego-loss......

absolutely, I agree %100, lay down, relax and die

ego death is very unpleasant but made me a very outward and ego-less person

We are bonded by our unexplainable presence as beings, as life, not by are egos. Everyone should experience ego death.

Offlineqwertymkonji
on a stick
Male User Gallery

Re: Inducing ego death? [Re: ShroominFL]
    #6145929 - 10/08/06 06:30 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

ShroominFL said:
Basically you revert back to an infantile state doing whatever you want not knowing the consequences. After you start to come down and your ego returns its almost if "the parents" got home and you have to face reality again. While in ego loss though i could barley move i had the motor reflexes and grasping ability of a toddler. However, for the most part i was in a visual sea going and doing whatever i wanted inside my own head.

Heh, yeah. I experienced that infantile thing. I thought I was in trouble for something with my parents and was crying. I was looking at my thumb and it looked like the thumb of a very young person almost. It made me think I had reverted back to my childhood and that I was in my old room.

At one point I was experiencing a sort of "life review" of my entire life. Experiencing my entire life over (all emotions, physical feelings, etc) in super speed. I felt all "karma" and also the feelings of people that I had affected. Basically anybody I came in contact with, during the period of contact I experienced what they felt or thought as well as my own thoughts.

And at one point (while I was in "bliss"/white light) I could experience anything my mind wanted to. Much like a lucid dream, only much more real.

Anyways, I will try meditation next time and see how that goes. I've been using miprocin (4-ho-mipt) and it's chemically similar to psilocin, but I think I'm just going to have to try and get ahold of the real deal.

I am thinking, though, that if I can't induce it on myself through meditation or some sort of "just letting go", that I'm going to have to find a substance that will force it upon me.

I'm thinking either n,n-dmt or 5-meo-dmt should do the trick. Anybody with experience: is it the same thing?

I've read a lot of trip reports on various drugs, and from what I've read, on most high doses of substances you can only go so high until you experience the same type of death/rebirth situation.

Ego death is amazing to me, because it almost feels as though, when you're experiencing it, that it is a forgotten memory that you're remembering. Becoming one with all things, and experiencing life through the eyes/conciousness of all life. It may be a delusion or an illusion, but to me, it was even more real than this life. Sortof like waking up in real life and remembering a dream, and how much more clear the waking life is compared to the dream. Now, apply this to ego death or a "higher state" and compare it to normal waking life, but multiply it times a trillion (or infinity haha). It makes this life seem like a dream. And maybe it is.

qwerty

Offlineqwertymkonji
on a stick
Male User Gallery

#6145933 - 10/08/06 06:35 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Also, if anybody wants to read my experience report on Hawaiian Baby Woodrose where I experienced ego death, here it is:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5992547#Post5992547

You may ask "well if you went through so much hellish pain, why would you want to experience it again?"

It's simple. I believe now that I am sortof familiarized with this state and that I can handle myself better now, and that anything bad I can do away with just by thinking that I'm going to get through it and think about either the light, or the sound, or something. And even if I DO experience that hell again, it will be for a reason (I have my theories on why I experienced the hell that I did), and it will be worth it.

qwerty

Edited by qwertymkonji (10/08/06 06:36 AM)

Offlinegeorg
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #6145937 - 10/08/06 06:39 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

try searching the net for "holotropic breathwork"

I stumbled upon a book by the author of the technique and it seems that the technique enables similar states to psychedelics without any substances, but by overflooding your system with oxygen and a set environment.

Offlineqwertymkonji
on a stick
Male User Gallery

Re: Inducing ego death? [Re: georg]
    #6145941 - 10/08/06 06:52 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

georg said:
try searching the net for "holotropic breathwork"

I stumbled upon a book by the author of the technique and it seems that the technique enables similar states to psychedelics without any substances, but by overflooding your system with oxygen and a set environment.

Thanks. This is what I'd rather do than take a drug to experience it. (even if it is, in fact, DMT flooding my brain when it occurs naturally)

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
    #6146033 - 10/08/06 08:35 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Lysergic_Milkman said:
I understand where you are coming from on this, and you are not alone.

(DISCLAIMER: the information below is drawn from the personal experiences of a seasoned tripper, not from facts or statistics.)

The more you trip, the less sensitive your body becomes to the drug's effects, But also, the more you trip, the more you become aware of smaller changes in consciousness. This paradox is hard to describe, but I think that's what you're experiencing; the transition from the sensational trip to the exploratory trip (not to say that your trips weren't spiritual/exploratory before, they should just be more so now).

Losing one's ego is a difficult task for many, and seemingly natural for others. There really is no 'in-between' that I've seen. Either one extreme or the other.
There is no special trick to 'letting go', just treat it like you would any other problem. If one method doesn't work for you, find a different solution to the problem. Try looking at the problem from a different perspective.
for example, try just wording your goals differently. Instead of trying to 'let go', stop yourself from trying to 'keep control'. From that point of view, I believe the problem appears simpler (it is easier to lose than it is to gain). Next, identify what it is that gives you control, or the want of it.
1.) fear of death is an obvious reason to want control [believe it or not, this is one of the easier ones to get rid of (in my opinion)]. If you eliminate this, then there is less of a need for control. This is one of the first factors that I deal with, and it goes like this:
I never try to eliminate fear of death while sober, too hard. I always do this after dosing, either on the come-up or at the verge of the peak. I recite to myself, "Whatever happens, happens, and that's just what's going to happen. I can't change that, and I accept it." Once you've realized that you really have no control over what happens to you (a profound epiphany the first time it happens), then everything just seems to get better, like a huge weight lifted off of your chest. The "fuck it" attitude comes into play, and you will find yourself filled with bliss as the worries that inhibit your daily life dissolve in front of you (literally, sometimes).
(Note: the "fearless" mantra, as I call it, has also helped me out of several bad spots mid trip. Turned it around completely. Just remember that next time you start going down that black spiral)

2.) Fear of the unknown is another reason people want to keep control. Again, the 'fearless' mantra helps with this, but not always as much. Because the unknown is what it is, unknown, fear of it can spawn out of nothing. To keep it from coming back, one must either repeat their mantra constantly to keep themselves in the fearless state of mind, or keep it embedded in their souls. If you grasp and hold the idea of fearlessness firmly, then it will stick with you long enough for the ego to be killed.

3.) Fear of self is the big one, the one that stops many people dead in their tracks. It is impossible for the human mind to comprehend non-existence (just try and think about what it would be like if there were no universe), and if one is not careful for what becomes of one's self, then one must also not be fearful of wasting one's life, of living without experience. Such an attitude could only be in favor of non-existence. This is the part where the 'I' must go, the part where you struggle. This is where psychedelics come into play.
"So how do we go about getting rid of 'I'?" you ask. Technically, it cannot be destroyed, in part for the complicated reason stated above. Instead, we must "forget" about 'I'. One way to do this is to get so far away from 'I' that one cannot remember what 'I' is like, and must start consciousness over, without 'I'. In other words, you must shift your perspective to the point where 'I' becomes disconnected from 'me'. How you go about this is up to you, as I could not tell you how to forget about I exactly, but I can give you a hint:
You will know when your perspective has shifted enough when you are able to view 'I' objectively, when you are able to look at 'I' and analyze it without being "in 'I's shoes". When this occurs, then you know that you have disconnected 'I' from 'me'.

OfflineExplosiveMango
HallucinogenusDigitallus
Male User Gallery

#6146050 - 10/08/06 08:49 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

qwertymkonji said:
Is there any way to induce ego death while tripping? The only time I've ever gotten it was on hawaiian baby woodrose and I wasn't expecting it. I was going about my normal business, and all of a sudden I was in a time loop, dying, experiencing "hell", then experiencing bliss and then rebirth.

But is there any way to induce this on different psychedelics? Meditation perhaps? Is there some sort of guide? This is usually the main goal of my trips. Visions, not visuals. So if anybody has any advice they can give me, I'd appreciate it very much.

qwerty

I was doing this last night with fairly interesting results.

I was just staring backwards into my mind's eye and focusing, if you can understand what I mean.

And then it split into multiple eyes, and I saw what was through me. Good times!  :mushroom2:

But I imagine there are as many ways to induce this as you can decide there are. You can even do it sober once you get your head around it... but that's a pretty big trip.

--------------------
Know your self.
Know your substance.
Know your source.

The most distorted perspective possible is the perspective that yours is not distorted.

Invisiblekija
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Inducing ego death? [Re: ExplosiveMango]
    #6150082 - 10/09/06 01:39 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Ego Death..

Lie down,

Blindfold, (one that allows you to open your eyes openly while its on)bad ass

Correct music,no music,your choice.(some music is designed for rebirth, 1 hour long at peak Swims choice. David parsons Shaman,Beautiful and perfect death/rebirth experience.)

Learn your plant and learn how to let go with it.Each plant has a different method and its un- word-able.Just "let go" just "Be" just "breathe" until you cannot.

Let the plant take you for a ride and you be the passenger.Do nothing but Be and Breathe.
Practice meditation on substance and off.Do what make you most comfortable in the world.

Best of luck Peace,Kija.

--------------------
Am I breathing up or down? says the speaking fictional character.

OfflineArioch1
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Inducing ego death? *DELETED* [Re: kija]
    #6150205 - 10/09/06 02:19 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by Arioch1

Reason for deletion: ..

Offlineqwertymkonji
on a stick
Male User Gallery

Re: Inducing ego death? [Re: Arioch1]
    #6153066 - 10/10/06 04:12 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Arioch1 said:
Death was obviously the last barrier towards infinite truth.

I did not feel that great afterwards.

Just a reminder, in my case my search almost took me over the edge. Be careful.

That was how I felt, basically. I felt that I needed to die to get back to this to be able to understand it completely and forever. All I could think about was "None of this matters anymore! Choosing to die is my right. Anybody I hurt is only me, anyways." In my mind, I was definitely going to kill myself and there was no stopping it.

For now, though, I will only continue to try to destroy my ego in search of the truth. I don't feel like dying JUST yet.

qwerty

InvisibleReoSpeedwagon153
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chetumal, Mexico
    #6153284 - 10/10/06 07:31 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I don't know if ego death is something important to strive for. What does it even mean? The word ego is ambiguosly defined in this context.
I would think it is important in one's psychedelic paths to refine and master one's ego rather than kill it off. Deep within a psychedelic landscape, would it not be better to retain your faculties of contextualization and understanding instead of floating around with the only thought in your head being "whoaaaa!"?
Isn't that shamanism? Using psychedelics and psychedelic states to create a spiritual "vehicle" (or ego) for which to travel through hyperspace?
Leary spouted a lot of useless garbage in his time, and this whole "ego death" thing is psychedelic poison, especially with LSD. Let the mushrooms handle it, they know what to do with your mind until things clear up enough for you to do it yourself. If your ego must die, let it. If not, leave it alone.

--------------------
“I thought naming myself ‘ReoSpeedwagon153’ on a forum was a funny idea in 2006.”

Offlineqwertymkonji
on a stick
Male User Gallery

Re: Inducing ego death? [Re: ReoSpeedwagon153]
    #6153626 - 10/10/06 10:13 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I want freedom. It is the only thing that answers my questions about life and gives me this freedom. If you don't know what ego death is, then you have no reason to say it isn't important. It is imporant.. To me, anyways. It is the core of all things, returning to the source of the all. It is knowing all. It is returning to your true self. Like an old forgotten memory that you instantly remember.

Think about a lucid dream. Now think about real life. You can tell that real life is much more clear than even a lucid dream. When you experience ego death, it is almost like a lucid dream, and you can do ANYTHING, but it is MORE REAL and has MORE clarity than this "real" waking life. It is the great awakening. This life is like a vague dream compared to that higher state of conciousness. If death is anything, it is the return to that. The true self.

All this universe is, is one big thought which is condensed into light and sound, or "matter". The universe did not come from anything. There was never a beginning, and there will never be an end. It just IS. You can grasp infinity while in this state as well. Real infinity. A neverending loop.

Imagine seeing life through the experience of all life that has ever existed. All at once. And it is all so very clear, like you can process that amount of information. And you know every detail about everything that anything has ever experienced or been through like it is your own personal life, because it is. It is all you. We are all just fooled into thinking we are seperate, when in fact we are all one being or thought, experiencing its power in as many ways as possible. I think our brains are not evolved or not capable of experiencing this amount of information in our constrained conciousness. It is mind boggling and you don't understand it as well as soon as you come out of it, because it's just too much information to process. I still don't understand how only a thought can just EXIST, in my current state, but at the time I got it, and it was like a "well, duh" sortof experience. It's SO obvious once you experience it.

But anyways.. I'd rather eat the apple than live in ignorance/bliss. That's just me.

qwerty

Offlineiamconfused
Happily insane since '06
    #6153666 - 10/10/06 10:28 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

...and all of a sudden I was in a time loop, dying, experiencing "hell", then experiencing bliss and then rebirth.

Interesting. I've experienced all of the negative effects of ego death, but never the good. For some reason my mind/spirit/whatever will not quite let go. The situations where I've approached ego death all seemed to mock me in a way for not being able to handle it. Maybe it's because I've only stumbled into it with drugs, as opposed to preparing myself for it and making a deliberate effort. Very strange.

InvisibleReoSpeedwagon153
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chetumal, Mexico
    #6153994 - 10/10/06 12:19 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Well, I might not label such an experience as ego death. This is a very tricky subject because it deals with subtelties of the workings of the mind we all may have different names for.

I believe that after time the waking ego may intertwine itself into the psychedelic experience, allowing some of the more mechanical aspects of the daily mind to help integrate and refine the realms it may encounter. The ego isn't the enemy, it may be a powerful benefit for exploring these states of consciousness.

Our egos are like roots, and they grow wherever you plant them. You can obsess with world of everyday people and feed them on stale and overused mental nutrition, or you can connect them to the higher organic network where they will be nourished.

--------------------
“I thought naming myself ‘ReoSpeedwagon153’ on a forum was a funny idea in 2006.”

OfflineLozo
Stranger
Male

Loc: Southern California
Re: Inducing ego death? [Re: ReoSpeedwagon153]
    #10413961 - 05/28/09 03:02 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

ReoSpeedwagon153 said:
I don't know if ego death is something important to strive for. What does it even mean? The word ego is ambiguosly defined in this context.
I would think it is important in one's psychedelic paths to refine and master one's ego rather than kill it off. Deep within a psychedelic landscape, would it not be better to retain your faculties of contextualization and understanding instead of floating around with the only thought in your head being "whoaaaa!"?
Isn't that shamanism? Using psychedelics and psychedelic states to create a spiritual "vehicle" (or ego) for which to travel through hyperspace?
Leary spouted a lot of useless garbage in his time, and this whole "ego death" thing is psychedelic poison, especially with LSD. Let the mushrooms handle it, they know what to do with your mind until things clear up enough for you to do it yourself. If your ego must die, let it. If not, leave it alone.

My thoughts exactly. :handth:

--------------------
"As we increasingly master our perceptions, beliefs, and thought/feeling patterns, we magnetically attract that which we most desire."
-Luanne Oakes

Offlinejoe Biggs
Male

#10414364 - 05/28/09 04:29 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

mirror.
fall into your own pupils.
and be like :eek:

--------------------

Offlineiamconfused
Happily insane since '06

Re: Inducing ego death? [Re: joe Biggs]
    #10419296 - 05/29/09 11:56 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Consider this; what is opposite of the opposite?

Ego death is the end of opposites.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder