Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineOmnicow
Magical Cow

Dont buy a Mycogarden.
    #6085326 - 09/21/06 03:17 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

I hope the company that makes this is not a sponser, but I had to warn other shroom growing beginners not to purchase this growkit. This is not a small gripe, this is a major ripoff. First off, the kit that present an image of being professionally made online is far from it. It's all made of stuff you could easily aquire and assemble yourself, such as buckets and disposable plastic plates. That alone wasn't too bad. I said, 'Well, if it works it works. It has a DVD, and if it can show me how to grow shrooms without error for my first batch then I guess it's worth it.' The DVD is useless. There is no sound. No explanation for the things that are going on in the video. It's hard enough to even make out the video anyway. The quality is atrocious. It will often show time-lapses and give you absolutely no sense of how long the lapse was. Was it 5 minutes? Was it an hour? Was it a week? The kit broke after a day. The hot glue holding the aquarium heater came off, causing all the water to leak out, and the heater to run too hot, melting some of the plastic. Also, I bought 5 "myco-jars", supposedly pre-sterilized jars. After 5 days, the terrible smell from my incubation chamber is only getting worse and worse. I've been told that an awful smell is not a good sign WHATSOEVER. So much for pre-sterilized jars. Like I said, I hope that this company (university scientific corporation) is not a sponser of this site, but this grow kit really is not a good buy and I would not like to see any other beginning grower get ripped off like I did.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinedeXtrous
impatience is life valued
Male

Loc: Australia
Re: Dont buy a Mycogarden. [Re: Omnicow]
    #6085378 - 09/21/06 03:33 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Suck for you man :frown: :frown:

Maybe this time you should gather the materials yourself.

OfflineDeception
HopefullyTripping Soon
Male
Loc: Somewhere Over the Rainbo...
    #6085443 - 09/21/06 04:55 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Your best bet is just to trust the advice on this site man.. There are instructions for everything from TIT incubators to wiping your ass.. these people know what they're talking about and care enough to share the wealth of knowledge.. everything I thought I knew about shrooms has been myth-busted since I found this site and everything I've built (while rather cheaply aquired) has turned out and worked awesome for me :smile: Sorry to hear of your misfortune and good luck in the future.

--------------------
If at first you don't succeed..
Hit it till your knuckles bleed..

Offlinemrsage
new hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Closer
Re: Dont buy a Mycogarden. [Re: Deception]
    #6099412 - 09/25/06 07:42 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

HAHAHA man, let me tell you one worse.

Well first of all they stole the whole setup from MycoDome which you can buy at MushBox (a shroomery sponsor) who is a reseller.

Visit the MycoDome's website and they have instructional videos online. University scientific jacked their videos and put it on the DVD, put their logos on it, ship it with the MycoGarden, and claim it as their own. So that worthless instructional DVD? It was originally (sorry mushbox) worthless instructional videos from the MycoDome's website.

University Scientific / UniversityScientific.Com are worthless shitheads.

Had to tag it up for the search feature.

OfflineWayward_Son
Shroomable Action Figure
 User Gallery

#6099672 - 09/25/06 08:53 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Yikes!!!! either YOU are not meant to grow shrooms(but lets not think that!)OR you have just got the bad 'can you take it?' start. I looked at all of this stuff and yes you are right...most is gettable on your own. In fairness to kit sellers..there are MANY things one 'could' make...but many do not want to make it. Since somebody has to do that...then it is a help that these things are available. sounds like you got a bad kit/deal for sure. I make lots of things...if not better(!). Sometimes I have people look at the simplicity designed in for their benefit and only AFTER seeing that I did what they never would have thought of...do they say "I coulda' done that!' People who buy kits HAVE the info available to them to be brave and build or be brave and buy. NOW you get to test your own wits and skills to see if you can get it all together yourself. Obviously there was a time when you did not think you could?
Yet, so many have made it very clear and by many choices the ways you can go and 'do it yourself'. I just started a month ago(researching). I just spawned my first wbs(skipped cakes, thanks to the info on this site)and had NO contam jars in a dozen. I am a careful person and pay attention to details. And it was also, obviously, the abundant help(whether you want to make the grow stuff or need to know how to grow...)that most made that possible. 
While I was waiting for my spores(from a sponsor)I built my glove box and revamped an old fridge to use as an incubator that would be good for jars(one side of, as it is a side by side)and also my spawn trays(larger side). I HAD the old fridge. I HAD the small therm space heater. I HAD the rubbermaid bins. I spent about $50.00(excluding spore syrs)to get the rest of what I needed. 9 days after my first inoc EVER, I had snow white pints(no contams in ANY)and somewhat nervously move onto spawn(as I continue the ever important READING AND RESEARCH). There simply are NO holes here in how to go about either. If you get confused...SOMEBODY...at least will fill that info void FAST.
I feel for your bad luck with the kit. Ask the company to work with you(they may just do that?)as you will find that the 'shroom support club' is NOT like DOW chemical...or many big corps that just want your money and not your issues. I hate to think(but I am not naive either)that anybody in the shroom culture would drop bombs on others trying to support 'what this is about'. There are many ways I could have built my set-up based on the info here. In fact I was going one way and then I read about how to use a fridge! I dismantled my TiT and went to the fridge. With fantastic results. Heck...you can probably get a bad fridge for FREE! (craigslist...free stuff).
Anyway...sorry for the mass verbage...I feel for you. Looking fwd to shrooms is a VERY different feeling than getting ripped off and or so disappointed. Back up...try again. Use YOUR ingenuity...this site posts too many 'clues' and outright shows you how to do just that. Were not geniuses(a few are), just making the best of what we share. Before I even had my first myced jars to spawn, I figured out a way to better a glove box(for more stable inocs via syrs or G2G)that nobody else thought of(which does NOT make me one of the real geniuses here). A couple of experienced growers liked that modification! Even coming from a NEWBIE. I always really think about what I am doing...even when new to something. The people here are VERY supportive of that with what THEY (better than me)know.
Start again. You will be glad you did.
I did not actually find the info on 'how to wipe my ass'here(????) but I know that most toilet paper works. Brawny towels are a good stand in if you eat a pizza AND a pot-roast in the same day; and if your hiking, the biggest leaf you can find(Desert hikers are screwed here)may FEEL funny...but will do dat thang! :thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------

' Call us....We're here to help!'

Edited by Wayward_Son (09/25/06 09:05 PM)

Offlinemushnoon
MushNoob
Male User Gallery
Re: Dont buy a Mycogarden. [Re: Wayward_Son]
    #6099690 - 09/25/06 08:56 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

yeah im giving him a hand, he realizes the mistake he made.

--------------------
I love the feeling when it falls apart. Im slow to finish but im quick to start.

Offlinemrsage
new hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Dont buy a Mycogarden. [Re: mushnoon]
    #6099771 - 09/25/06 09:11 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I thought I saw a post about asswiping, something to do with using both sides to conserve....  :wink:

You made a mistake.  It sucks.  You're out some money.  But it aint the end of the world.

That mass verbiage up there was pretty good stuff.  Start from scratch and look for help here in the forums.  Everyone here has been great, even to me, and I'm a moron.  Before you know it not only will you be trippin' balls, you'll be trippin balls with pride, cause ya did it yaself.

--------------------

Yea maybe sometimes I do feel like shit
I aint happy about it, but I'd rather feel like shit
...than be full of shit! - Suicidal Tendencies

OfflineWayward_Son
Shroomable Action Figure
 User Gallery

Re: Dont buy a Mycogarden. [Re: mrsage]
    #6100814 - 09/26/06 12:30 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah...I tried that both sides of the TP stuff and the girl I was camping with refused to ever come with me again. Nix on that. :mad2:

So what if I met my favorite rock stars WHILE I was shrooming!...at least I got to meet them!!! (offtopic thought #431) :rolleyes: :mushroom2:

--------------------

Edited by Wayward_Son (09/26/06 12:32 AM)

OfflineWayward_Son
Shroomable Action Figure
 User Gallery

Re: Dont buy a Mycogarden. [Re: mrsage]
    #6100833 - 09/26/06 12:37 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah...I tried that both sides of the TP stuff and the girl I was hiking with refused to ever come with me again. Nix on that. :mad2:

So what if I met my favorite rock stars WHILE I was shrooming!...at least I got to meet them!!! (offtopic thought #431) :rolleyes: :mushroom2:

--------------------

OfflineIgnatius
Stranger

Loc: Prague, Czech Republic
Re: Dont buy a Mycogarden. [Re: Wayward_Son]
    #6101851 - 09/26/06 08:30 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

At least you got your order. I ordered from University Scientific only to find out that it's 100% a fraudulent company. Asked my VISA card people and they confirmed. Canceled my order and got my $250 back.

--------------------
The book says, we might be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us

OfflineDrB
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Dont buy a Mycogarden. [Re: Ignatius]
    #6102497 - 09/26/06 12:00 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I ordered from university scientific too, got my jars, nothing like it looked like online, they have been inoculated and are going. there is an aweful lot of condensation inside the jars, im just hoping I can manage to fruit them. I guess thats what I get for thinking I could make it easy on myself and just buy presterilized jars.

--------------------
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Franklin's Contributions to the Conference on February 17 (III) Fri, Feb 17, 1775

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Offlinemrsage
new hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Dont buy a Mycogarden. [Re: DrB]
    #6103013 - 09/26/06 02:24 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Ordering presterilized jars isn't a bad idea, especially to start, because a pressure cooker is a decent sized investment.

However, ORDER FROM A SHROOMERY SPONSOR. :P

--------------------

Yea maybe sometimes I do feel like shit
I aint happy about it, but I'd rather feel like shit
...than be full of shit! - Suicidal Tendencies

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
    #8430206 - 05/21/08 09:36 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks Omnicow, you saved me about $140.00. I was told earlier not to buy any kit-type crap. Close call...

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
Re: Dont buy a Mycogarden. [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #8430214 - 05/21/08 09:38 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Hint... Don't bump old threads..

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Offlinehottamali
Stranger
Re: Don't buy a Mycogarden. [Re: Brainiac]
    #8430289 - 05/21/08 10:02 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Since this old thread was resurrected.
Don't waste your time and money on crap. Buy Roger Rabbit's video or check out his Beta version. It is extremely informative. The other option is to spend many many hours reading and asking questions that you could not find the answers to by making the effort of doing some searching. For a few dollars you can make your own and better grow chamber than you can buy.

Edited by hottamali (05/21/08 10:05 PM)

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Re: Don't buy a Mycogarden. [Re: hottamali]
    #8430469 - 05/21/08 10:45 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

I am willing to bet that old threads get resurrected all the time. I think it may have something to do with new meat joining the site.
Me? Shit, I've been here for a whole day now...

--------------------

Offlinehottamali
Stranger
Re: Don't buy a Mycogarden. [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #8430486 - 05/21/08 10:48 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

you've been busy posting for one day. Welcome and glad you saved $140 from buying junk.

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Re: Don't buy a Mycogarden. [Re: hottamali]
    #8451281 - 05/27/08 06:46 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks!  :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleHoleSnype
I love me some me.
Male User Gallery

Loc: DF DUBS
Re: Don't buy a Mycogarden. [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #8451305 - 05/27/08 06:51 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Why do you insist on bringing this old thread back to life over and over again. It is almost 2 years old man.

--------------------
"I'm sofa king we todd did." ~ Rick James

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation