Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShroomgobbler
Beginner
Male

Loc: Washington
My first grow.
    #5674716 - 05/25/06 09:20 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I must've read every tek on the shroomery and a good portion of the grow log archives, and I've devided I want to grow some myself. Here's my plan:

inoculate some quart jars of birdseed w/ spores from www."whoever".com, spawn onto 50/50 straw&dung, case with 50/50 verm coir, and fruit my trays in big white plastic containers w/ clear, perforated lids by the window.(I work in restaraunts, they're called Lexans. They're perfect: big, stackable, cheap & durable). The lexans fit perfectly into eachother with an inch at the bottom of them to make an incubator, then I can pour the water out and use them to fruit.

I have a couple of questions though, I don't want to invest in a humidifier quite yet until I get the hang of things. Do I even need something for humidity? I see alot of grow logs don't use one... and can I just use wet perlite under the trays (a la pf cakes) as a substitute while I "practice" with my first couple of attempts? And does anyone who's experienced have some good general advice for 1st time growers that wouldn't be covered in the teks I've already read. Thanks!

-- UPDATE --

So I moved to my new place, got some spores, shot 'em up and got started. Here's my incubator set-up

I got the wrong kind of fish-tank heater, the kind that clips on the edge instead of being fully submersable, so I just mounted it on a water pitcher and enclosed it so I'm not constantly steaming the jars. I saw the first mycellium type action on day 3, and now it's day 5 and my jars are starting to pick up some speed. Here's a couple of them.

Yeah, my camera kinda sucks. Sorry.

I'll put up some more updates as the project progresses... I know these pics of the very beginning are pretty boring and uninteresting.

Edited by Shroomgobbler (06/12/06 05:15 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemonstermitch
Growing in Bags Doesn't Work

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Arizona Bay Flag
Re: My first grow. [Re: Shroomgobbler]
    #5674733 - 05/25/06 09:25 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I would not use verm/coir
I would use verm/peat.

you probably haven't read these:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Board/155280

Use a monotub or a double tub setup.
for Lexans, use a PoorMansPod.
Lexans are bad because you cannot drill holes for poly-fil.
Meaning, no monotub or double tub.
However I'm trying it right now with just holes in the top and alot of fanning.

Perlite in the bottome of the lexan, lots of fanning.

--------------------

Offlinedudefromaz
That One Dude
Male User Gallery

Loc: In the Midst of Time........
    #5674738 - 05/25/06 09:26 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I believe that you can just bag em' or you could just put your trays in a regular plastic box with wet perlite. I think that the perlite method is best, because i have a 50lb bag of it in my garage, and also i think a regular container sitting in a corner of the room looks less strange than a container with hoses and shit stickin out....Plus, a cool' mist is only about 5 bucks at a Good Will or Savers or any of your ghetto ass stores that you buy used stuff from...

just my 22 cetnessstttsnnnnzzzzzzzzssssaaasss

--------------------
Remember, the best drug, is a natural drug.....

Peace, Fratirnityishly, Smoke Da Stuff, Special Chocolate

OfflineShroomgobbler
Beginner
Male

Re: My first grow. [Re: dudefromaz]
    #5674824 - 05/25/06 09:50 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks, i appreciate the input. i'm moving to a new apt in a week, i'll order my spores the same day i move and will have some pics up here shortly after of the set-up and whatever else i'm inspired to photograph/write. untill then, I shall remain dormant and scribble in my notebook.

OfflineShroomgobbler
Beginner
Male

#5750187 - 06/14/06 04:23 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

That's what they look like now, god the wait is excruciating!

--------------------
Light the doobie till it glows like a ruby
After which they couldn't find the villain like Scooby.

Offlinehippie_cune
Nowhere Man
    #5750251 - 06/14/06 04:51 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

what size jars are those?

Offlinemikeownow
Humungus fungus

Loc: WA,USA
Re: My first grow. [Re: hippie_cune]
    #5750255 - 06/14/06 04:52 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

clearly quart

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Offlinehippie_cune
Nowhere Man
Re: My first grow. [Re: mikeownow]
    #5750283 - 06/14/06 05:05 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

i too am doin my first grow..

i used pint jars

Offlinecubensisfrenzy55
Stranger

Re: My first grow. [Re: hippie_cune]
    #5750308 - 06/14/06 05:19 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I thought about stealing some lexans from work, quit before I could. Just make sure the sides are light proof to prevent side pinning and such.

Offlinesplifner180
Student
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, East Coast
Re: My first grow. [Re: mikeownow]
    #5750322 - 06/14/06 05:24 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Just a suggestion but I'd give those jars one good shake-up each. Your growth is localized. If you shake the jars, each of those colonized grains will wind up, most likely, next to an uncolonized grain. Right now only grains at the outside of the mass are making contact with uncolonized grains.

But whenever you shake, remember this; the myc will take 24-36 hours to "re-knit" itself. So while you'll wind up with faster colonization in the long-term, growth will pause for about a day.

Everyone has different opinions on shaking. Personally I've had good results with a good shake at 5% and 30%.

splif

--------------------
First Grow: Ecuador -> LC -> HPoo/Straw -> Monotub
Build a Do-It-Yourself Magnetic Stirrer in thirty minutes with no money.

OfflineShroomgobbler
Beginner
Male

Re: My first grow. [Re: splifner180]
    #5754778 - 06/15/06 06:50 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

splifner you lied to me...

I shook the jars and they actually DID grow a bit in the 24 hour period, i was expecting to come home from work today and see the exact same thing I saw last night. the growth isn't enough to warrant a photograph though, so you don't get to see. Thanks for the tip.

--------------------

Offlinecubensisfrenzy55
Stranger

#5754895 - 06/15/06 07:25 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I shake my jars and it works awesome, give them another day to recover

OfflineShroomgobbler
Beginner
Male

Re: My first grow. [Re: cubensisfrenzy55]
    #5760190 - 06/17/06 10:00 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

it doesn't look like a whole bunch new growth from the pic, but I can see theres alot more mycellium in big white balls everywhere instead of a few dense clusters. I'm thinking maybe another 8-15 days and it's go-time, except for jar #4 on the right really isn't pulling it's weight.

--------------------

OfflineShroomgobbler
Beginner
Male

Re: My first grow -- failure [Re: Shroomgobbler]
    #5786882 - 06/24/06 04:01 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

So my jars were finally at about 50%, so I shook 'em. The first time I shook them, there was still some fluffy white mycellium and they made a rebound. The second time, there was no more fluffyness, there was some dense white balls, but it didn't look healthy. Then there was this greyish slime on the walls of the jars, so I sniffed the polyfil real hard and yep, you guessed it. It smelled like sour apples from our friend Bacillus. Being that my jars were very uniform in their contamination, I'm thinking there was a flaw in my grain prep. I soaked for 24 hours, simmered and PC'ed for 40 minutes. I don't think 40 minutes was long enough, maybe an hour to 90 minutes? If anyone else has any ideas/advice go ahead and reply.

In related news, I'm also the proud owner of a brand new cardboard/plexiglass/dish-glove style still air glove box. I don't think the oven-tek is too solid. I have new spores arriving in a couple days (ordered last saturday) for my sophomore attempt, i'll keep it posted w/ pics.

--------------------

Edited by Shroomgobbler (06/24/06 04:04 PM)

InvisibleMasFina
Snow Shredder
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mountains
Re: My first grow -- failure [Re: Shroomgobbler]
    #5786900 - 06/24/06 04:11 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

yeah you want 60 mins in the PC for grains. Don't start timing till your bobblin and/or reach 15 psi. The best shaking method is what I learned from monster mitch. You shake them at about 30%. Shake em real good and that's the last time you shake em. I shaked mine twice last time and it stalled the growth. After the 30% shake they keep right on trucking. Keep up the good work.

--------------------
A Good Substrate: Poo With Extras
Good Liquid Culture, Step by Step
Timer Modification
PM me if you are interested in buying 140ml syringes. $6 each + $7 shipping

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order