Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Salvia in Tennessee: Soon to be illegal to consume, still legal to grow
    #5508239 - 04/12/06 01:50 PM (18 years, 9 days ago)

Proposal would outlaw consumption of landscaping herb
WSMV.com
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee would make a mint-like herb illegal for consumption while keeping it lawful for landscaping purposes, under a proposal working its way through the General Assembly.

The bill's sponsor, Rep. Parkey Strader said students in his Knox County district use the leaves of the Salvia divinorum A. plant for mood-altering purposes.

The plant, also known by its street name Maria Pastora, is on the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration's "drugs of concern" list, but is not illegal.

The plant can be chewed or smoked to induce hallucinations, according to the DEA.

Strader, a Knoxville Republican, said he is uncertain about the specific effects of the plant.

"I don't know and I don't want our kids to find out either," he told the House Judiciary Committee on Tuesday. "The bottom line is it's not good for students."

The DEA describes the plant as native to Mexico, growing up to three feet high, with hollow square stems, large green leaves and white flowers.

Committee members asked how domestic use of the plant would be protected.

"If I go home and my wife has used this to decorate the patio, am I clear?" asked House Judiciary Chairman Joe Fowlkes, D-Cornersville.

Strader assured the committee that cultivating the plant "for aesthetic, landscaping or decorative purposes" would continue to be permitted.

Strader agreed to delay action on the bill for a week while sorting out some of the questions posed by the committee. The Senate version is scheduled for a floor vote on Thursday.

A Senate committee had earlier watered down the proposed penalty for growing the plant for consumption from a felony to a misdemeanor.

"It doesn't have a lot of teeth in it as a misdemeanor, but at least it lets the students know that they're not supposed to have it," Strader said.

The companion bill's sponsor, Sen. Tim Burchett, said the lower penalty was a compromise because of the cost.

"That's all we could get. You lock somebody up, you've got to pay for it," said Burchett, R-Knoxville. "Until some big shot's kid gets whacked out on it and runs their car through somebody's front door, you probably won't see anything (stricter)."

Several committee members expressed confusion about only classifying a legitimate plant a drug in certain circumstances.

"I've never done that stuff. I've taken my fair share of the spirits, but I've never got into that other part of life," said Rep. Frank Buck, D-Dowellton, referring to illicit drug use.

House Majority Leader Kim McMillan, D-Clarksville, told Strader that it is "unclear about what it is that we are criminalizing here."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleabrad84
Stranger
Male

Re: Salvia in Tennessee: Soon to be illegal to consume, still legal to grow [Re: DNKYD]
    #5508307 - 04/12/06 02:09 PM (18 years, 9 days ago)

Who the fuck has SD as a garden plant? I find it amusing that so many people seem to think that SD and the common garden variety of salvia are one and the same.

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: Salvia in Tennessee: Soon to be illegal to consume, still legal to grow [Re: DNKYD]
    #5508323 - 04/12/06 02:12 PM (18 years, 9 days ago)

Strader, a Knoxville Republican, said he is uncertain about the specific effects of the plant.

"I don't know and I don't want our kids to find out either," he told the House Judiciary Committee on Tuesday. "The bottom line is it's not good for students."

Okay this makes sense...admits he has no idea of anything it does, yet he seems to know that it is very dangerous.

The plant, also known by its street name Maria Pastora

I have never, ever heard Salvia refered to anywhere except on Erowid once or twice by that name.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#5522776 - 04/16/06 09:43 PM (18 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

DNKYD said:"Until some big shot's kid gets whacked out on it and runs their car through somebody's front door, you probably won't see anything (stricter)."

And people say there's no truth in politics... ladies & gentlemen... this is how the US government is operating. Ain't it grand that a Senator wants to criminalize a plant he admittly is ignorant of, and that another Senator free admits that public policy is decided on a big shot's ineptitude at parenting becoming sensationalism.

These people have no idea what they're doing. Absolutely insane.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Offlinepshawny
Mycobian
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Shroomery
Re: Salvia in Tennessee: Soon to be illegal to consume, still legal to grow [Re: Twirling]
    #5522946 - 04/16/06 10:39 PM (18 years, 4 days ago)

"That's all we could get. You lock somebody up, you've got to pay for it," said Burchett, R-Knoxville. "Until some big shot's kid gets whacked out on it and runs their car through somebody's front door, you probably won't see anything (stricter)."

Hmm, I wonder how many drunk drivers a year crash into buildings. These guys are ridiculous!

--------------------

OfflineReal_Poopypants
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: Surrey, B.C.
    #5523038 - 04/16/06 11:09 PM (18 years, 4 days ago)

It's pretty clear that they don't really even know which plant they are banning. Salvia Divinorum have purple flowers, I believe. Maria Pastora is what it is known as to the mazatecs. This reporter doesn't know how to use Google very well. It's kind of weird that they didn't mention how Salvia is "more potent than LSD" or like legal LSD and it's not exactly a plant that you would use for landscaping, in my opinion.

--------------------
Salvia Experiences:

First Time With Salvia

A Visit With The Queen

Mushroom Experiences:

My first mushroom trip changed my life.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Salvia in Tennessee: Soon to be illegal to consume, still legal to grow [Re: Real_Poopypants]
    #5538966 - 04/20/06 07:43 PM (18 years, 20 hours ago)

i don't know what the hell it is so anyone using it must be a criminal!

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Law Illegalizes Naturally-Growing Flower [Re: DNKYD]
    #5778051 - 06/21/06 08:36 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

http://www.newschannel5.com/content/news/20216.asp

Law Illegalizes Naturally-Growing Flower
Posted: 6/21/2006 5:15:00 PM
Updated: 6/21/2006 7:32:23 PM

Law Illegalizes Naturally-Growing Flower

A popular flower that produces a powerful drug will soon be banned in the state of Tennessee. The flower is salvia, and many residents unknowingly have it in their garden.

The new law to ban the flower goes into effect July 1.

The law was made because the flower can be hallucinogenic when smoked in a way similar to marijuana.

“There's a lot of other plants that have chemicals in them and do different things,” a plant expert said.

What has many people confused is the fact that the law makes it an offense to knowingly produce or possess with intent to distribute. It does not apply to those who use it for landscaping or decorative purposes, especially garden centers.

“We produce these for flowers and ornamental purposes. What they do with it once they buy it, we never know,” Hewitt & Garden Center owner Bill Hewitt said.

“Others will Eventually figure out something else they can use. A law will be passed to deal with that,” Bates Design & Garden Center owner David Bates said.

Tennessee will join Missouri, Louisiana and Delaware as the only states with a salvia ban.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

OfflineYayitsme
10-56
Male
Re: Law Illegalizes Naturally-Growing Flower [Re: motaman]
    #5778081 - 06/21/06 08:45 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Acually it isn't rare at all to see Salvia in someones garden...My friends mom has been growing it in her garden for a few years now, long before we heard about it or even tried it.

--------------------
He aint got a cent, supposed to go to management but he spent it getting bent.

Offlinerawtoxic
Stranger
Loc: smokey mountains
Re: Law Illegalizes Naturally-Growing Flower [Re: Yayitsme]
    #5780438 - 06/22/06 01:05 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Please understand SALVIA has many diverse strains and is commonly known as sage.

SALVIA DIVINORUM is one of these strains and is the one that contains active ingredents.

I have some Russian Sage growing in my planting beds.

OfflineStan1989
Stranger
Re: Law Illegalizes Naturally-Growing Flower [Re: DNKYD]
    #9846540 - 02/22/09 08:23 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I think it is BULLSHIT that it is illegal because its not going to hurt anyone it just makes the day better

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag