Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Agar, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMorelman
LC Master
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between Right and Wrong
Pasteurized LC TEK (Pics)
    #5659034 - 05/22/06 03:55 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Edit (11/19/07)
Times change and so do the techniques we use in mushroom cultivation. After many years of using straight Karo in my LC's. I have turned to a new product that works better IMO. I can't take credit for it's "discovery" no more than I can take credit for the "discovery" of Karo Syrup. Thanks to Agar for alerting us to this product.

The product, in all it's trade names, is basically raw sugar. You can find it in bulk and in individual packages. It just performs better than straight Karo and doesn't get cloudy like honey. So anywhere you see Karo being used in the pictures of this Tek, replace it with the raw sugar product you are using.

(Modified Post)
Someone asked if I would share my LC TEK that I have had much success with. You do not need to boil the LC Broth in the jars for hours as you would for a substrate, like HPoo for example. You don't even need to sterilize.

The reason you need long durations of pasteurization temps with substrate. Is that substrate is bulky and you need to penetrate deep within. LC on the other hand is not so demanding since it rapidly comes to temp and maintains pasteurization temps long enough before coming back down to room temperature.

Raw Sugar Concentration

Whatever size jar you use. The rule is to use at least a 4% sugar to water ratio by weight. The maximum I use is 10% if I intend to store the LC Culture for longer periods at room temperature. If being refrigerated I use the minimum.

Jars Ready
A quick note on the jars I use and the cap configuration. I have only found one jar that is suitable for IMO for LC. They are Golden Harvest Jars and you can buy them at Dollar General for a buck each. They do have jars twice the size of mine. I don't recommend them because a six inch hypo won't reach the bottom.
The advantages I have found are;
1) Three flat sides for easy viewing.
2) Large opening that even I can reach into.
3) Square shape (I'll explain why that is important later.)
4) Short enough for a hypo to reach the bottom.
5) 2.5 Liter capacity.
6) Sold with a plastic cap.
The center of the cap is drilled at 3/8" for gas exchange. I cover the hole with cloth sterile strips or micropore tape. I prefer this method because it is easy to peel back and re-close when collecting mycelium with the hypo.
The injection port is used only once when spores are introduced. To make the hole. I hold a 6 penny finishing nail, with a pair of pliers, and heat it with a propane torch. I poke it through near the outside edge of the cap. I then dab some RTV (High Temp Silicone) on the hole. I use my finger to push down on it lightly a few times to squeeze some into the hole. Then I move it around the hole in a circular motion to make a neat port and wipe to the side. Turn the lid over and do the same to the other side of the injection port hole. This will make a stronger port for repeated use.

You can also substitute the RTV port for a rubber one using commercially available injection ports, aka septums.

Fill'r Up

Heat water in a teakettle until it starts to whistle. Remove the cap and pour the hot water in. Don't worry if it looks like the Raw Sugar is not dissolving completely. The solution will be supersaturated and the mycelium will use it up as it grows. Think of it as a petri dish underwater.

Water Level

The water level should come up just to the shoulder.

Hot enough for ya?

After returning from the stove I put the cap on and took the temp with a meat thermometer. Registering +190 degrees at this point. I keep the jars on an insulating surface so the temp comes down slowly. If the temp comes down too fast there is a greater chance of a bacterial bloom.

Aren't they purdy

With this TEK you don't have to worry about carmelization. The LC Broth stays crystal clear. If you prepare these the night before, they will be ready to knock up in the morning. They will keep forever unless the water evaporates. Haven't had that problem yet.

I am waiting on spore so this thread will be updated soon.

Update 5-26-06
All of these jars were knocked up with two cc's each. Two are Malaysia and the other two are Transkei. Only the jars of Transkei are showing growth after three days in the incubator. Temp is at 82 degrees right now, it was 78 this morning. I put them in right after I plugged in the heater so hopefully growth will speed up now.

The mycelium is much too small at this point to show a good pic. It looks like wisps of polyfill on the bottom right now. If the Malaysia doesn't show growth after a week I will knock them up again with another cc. Both syringes were rather weak IMO. The Malaysian more so than the Transkei.

The only jar I have some good growth in is from a Morchella (White Morel) spore print I took last weekend. The hyphae have pretty much engulfed the print side of the typing paper. In hindsight I used a pretty big piece. I could have gotten away with just an eighth of what I ended up using. The mycelium will eventually digest the cellulose.

I made a short video clip of my "stirrer" in action (5.13MB).

Record Player Stirrer

The square sides of the jar, as I mentioned, act as a baffle to push the water around and break up the mycelium.

I use a 6" x 12 gauge hypo and 10cc glass syringe to retrieve mycelium through the gas exchange port. As you can see, the hypo rests just off the bottom.

I like to load up with at least 1cc of h2o2 after I collect the mycelium. I do this because I swap the hypo for a smaller needle before knocking up substrate.

Edited by Morelman (11/19/07 11:09 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledysphoria
lost soul

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Pasteurized Karo LC TEK (Pics) [Re: Morelman]
    #5659835 - 05/22/06 01:38 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

thanks for sharing
always good to let other ppl that they dont have to have a pc for karo
in fact, ime, i have less luck in the pc with karo than with just simply microwaving them
though your tek looks about as easy as it is to microwave them, so i might switch =)

--------------------

InvisibleFungusMan
I81U812
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Everywhere
Re: Pasteurized Karo LC TEK (Pics) [Re: dysphoria]
    #5659852 - 05/22/06 01:45 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

I seen that FAYGO! You cant hide that shit from a juggalo fool! Nice pictorial.

InvisibleDIRTYMAN
Jesusdon'tcomethrough thecotton.
Female
Loc: CZ NIGGUH
Re: Pasteurized Karo LC TEK (Pics) [Re: FungusMan]
    #5660025 - 05/22/06 02:45 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

So why is the square shape of the jars beneficial? Great write up, +5 for you! :mushroom2:

--------------------
I'm racist.                http://k-k-k.com/

Offlinemajlo
crazy
Male User Gallery

Re: Pasteurized Karo LC TEK (Pics) [Re: DIRTYMAN]
    #5660236 - 05/22/06 03:41 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

what is KARO?

--------------------
Come see our country, but don't stay too long :smile:

Offlinewiggles
Miffed a Milf
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Pasteurized Karo LC TEK (Pics) [Re: majlo]
    #5660281 - 05/22/06 03:52 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Karo is a type of syrup - you can get it at just about any grocery store, and a lot of general stores too.

Out of curiousity, have you tried dark karo instead of light? Have you tried molassas or any other syrups? Any results?

--------------------

You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye.
Hunter S. Thompson

InvisibleTippinthru
contented

Loc: "The Garden"...
    #5660393 - 05/22/06 04:21 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Sadly, IMHO an LC that is only pasteurized, is almost doomed to failure.
Simply because the media content is not sterile.

--------------------
Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time...
[

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
Re: Pasteurized Karo LC TEK (Pics) [Re: Tippinthru]
    #5660425 - 05/22/06 04:27 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

you could add some H202 after you seen some growth . not to much like less then 1.5% to clean the lc up some
Karo = corn syrup am I right about this

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #5660490 - 05/22/06 04:40 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Those temps are a little higher than pasteurization temps, so I would call that sterilization. Nice writeup anyway :thumbup:

Offlinezeegos
Shroomagator
 User Gallery

Loc: bat country
Re: Pasteurized Karo LC TEK (Pics) [Re: FooMan]
    #5660634 - 05/22/06 05:10 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

i just put a bit button mushroom flesh in a LC honeywater solution for the hell of it.
Am i waisting my time?

InvisibleMorelman
LC Master
Male User Gallery

Re: Pasteurized Karo LC TEK (Pics) [Re: zeegos]
    #5675239 - 05/26/06 01:40 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Update (FAQ)
First I would like to thank you all for your support. I got my spore this afternoon and knocked up these jars after I got home from work. I'll post some more pics once mycelia growth starts.

Question 1 - So why is the square shape of the jars beneficial?

Any LC cap configuration has/should have a large diameter hole to allow for gas exchange. The problem is that agitating/mixing/shaking up the culture will saturate any filter covering that hole. This has the potential to introduce contaminates.

By using the square jar you have a built in baffling system. To employ the baffle, you simply spin the jar instead of shaking it. Spinning the jar keeps the gas exchange filter dry.

I bought an old multi-speed record player for $2 at a thrift store. It is set on a timer for a one hour spin twice a day. With the sides of the jar acting as a baffle, the solution quickly matches the speed of the spinning jar. You will know when this happens because the mycelium or spores will stop moving around the jar. When the record player stops, the solution continues to spin for awhile and eventually lumps all the mycelium/spores together in the center of the jar at the bottom.

This speeds up the process since male and female hyphae in a multi spore culture won't have far to go in finding a compatible mate. It might be possible that, at some point, the entire multi spore culture will have fused into one mycelial mat. I'm not certain of this but I do know that this process produces a single "puffball" of mycelium from multi spore inoculations.

This will be my first attempt at fruiting so I'll just have to see what happens.

Question(s) 2 - Have you tried dark Karo instead of light? Ans: No
Have you tried molasses or any other syrups? Ans: No
Any results? Ans: With these? No

Only because I am happy with the results of Light Karo and it was the first carbon source I procured. I would encourage others to experiment with using other carbon sources with this TEK. I enjoy the crystal clarity of the culture grown in Light Karo.

Question 3 - Karo = corn syrup am I right about this? Ans: Yes

I use the non-vanilla syrup. No reason other than that is what was available.

Question 4 - Re; Button Mushroom - Am I wasting my time? Ans: No

You can use this TEK to grow out clones as well as spore. Just be sure you use clean tissue under aseptic conditions.

--------------------
Journals-
Transkei Sunrise  |  Morelman's No-Tilt LC Lid  |  MMM - Morelman's Modified Monotub  |  DIY Desiccant Packs

Offlinedudefromaz
That One Dude
Male User Gallery

Loc: In the Midst of Time........
    #5675472 - 05/26/06 02:42 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

hmm, i just nocked up 4 honeywater containers yesterday, hope they do good...Nice guide tho, i might do this if my first attempt fails

peace

--------------------
Remember, the best drug, is a natural drug.....

Peace, Fratirnityishly, Smoke Da Stuff, Special Chocolate

InvisibleMorelman
LC Master
Male User Gallery

Re: Pasteurized Karo LC TEK (Pics) [Re: dudefromaz]
    #5675838 - 05/26/06 04:59 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Decided to go ahead and add another 2cc's each to the Malaysian LC's. I gave the syringe several sharp snaps with my finger to get things moving around in there.

Next time I'll ask for dark syringes.....

--------------------
Journals-
Transkei Sunrise  |  Morelman's No-Tilt LC Lid  |  MMM - Morelman's Modified Monotub  |  DIY Desiccant Packs

Offlinetrentallica
Lord Trentnar
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virgina Flag
Re: Pasteurized Karo LC TEK (Pics) [Re: FungusMan]
    #5678495 - 05/26/06 11:20 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

FungusMan said:

rusty ax: $25.00
knowing voodo : $15,000
fat bitch named Bridget: $200 per night
little sip of FAYGO: $1.00

not dieing until you get your shit: priceless

yep just one more juggalo

--------------------
The only ones for me are the mad ones..........
                  :ass2mouth:

InvisibleMorelman
LC Master
Male User Gallery

Re: Pasteurized Karo LC TEK (Pics) [Re: trentallica]
    #5680234 - 05/27/06 01:44 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Ok guys, I'll bite....

Plz excuse my ignorance, but what is a juggalo?

--------------------
Journals-

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #5680261 - 05/27/06 01:56 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

The problem I see coming here is bacterial contamination. 190F will kill mold and other fungi, but many bacteria need to be subjected to boiling for five minutes. Lots of mountain backpackers have become very sick because they didn't boil their drinking water from the river for a full five minutes. There's no endospores in karo, so no need for a pressure cooker, but you do need to boil it because there's bacteria floating in the air all around us. You might get lucky a time or two, but it's certainly not going to work every time.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pasteurized Karo LC TEK (Pics) [Re: trentallica]
    #5680376 - 05/27/06 02:57 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

trentallica said:
Quote:

FungusMan said:

rusty ax: $25.00
knowing voodo : $15,000
fat bitch named Bridget: $200 per night
little sip of FAYGO: $1.00

not dieing until you get your shit: priceless

yep just one more juggalo

Do you mean gigolo? As in, a male who is paid for sex?

InvisibleMorelman
LC Master
Male User Gallery

Re: Boiling [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5681530 - 05/27/06 10:32 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Hi Rabbit,

I've been doing this TEK for over a year growing successful mycelium cultures. In that time I have only lost one to black pin mold. That was because I had removed the cap to "go fishing". A morel sclerotia had formed in the culture and I didn't want to break it up with a syringe. If I had done this operation in a glove-box my failure rate would be 0%.

The boiling point of water is a variable. Depending on elevation, hikers in the mountains are boiling water significantly below 212F.
How Hot is Boiling Water?
I believe that mineral content/dissolved oxygen is an issue as well. I think I read somewhere that high levels of dissolved minerals lower the boiling point. I'm pretty sure that 212F/100C is distilled water at sea level.
My parameters;
Water - Artesian Well
Elevation - 10ft ASL

I'm just saying that in my experience this TEK has not failed under my conditions. I do clean the jars and lids beforehand in the sink with a little bleach and anti-bacterial dish soap. Just common sense stuff really.

--------------------
Journals-

Edited by Morelman (05/27/06 10:52 PM)

Invisibletoole
white-thumb (Onewhackmycophiliac)
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: spore #1203 - bas 2.34 - ...
Re: Boiling [Re: Morelman]
    #5681555 - 05/27/06 10:36 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

lmao..

juggalo is not a "gigolo"

--------------------
-the adventures of suse and prescott.9-

..and the neverending triscut of doom !

Offlinetrentallica
Lord Trentnar
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virgina Flag
Re: Boiling [Re: toole]
    #5681770 - 05/27/06 11:49 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

toole said:
lmao..

juggalo is not a "gigolo"

not that a Juggalo can't be a gigolo, or even the other way around.

--------------------
The only ones for me are the mad ones..........
                  :ass2mouth:

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Agar, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation