Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
Turkey Tail (Trametes versicolor) preperation and dosage?
    #5549749 - 04/23/06 11:59 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Today I found some more Turkey tails, really nice specimens. I am wondering if anyone has any info or advice on using these for their medicinal properties. In particular I am interested in dosage and preperation. Also are there any look-alikes of this species which I could be getting confused with? Here is a pic of the ones I found today if anyone can confirm or dismiss my ID.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Turkey Tail (Trametes versicolor) preperation and dosage? [Re: zee_werp]
    #5549772 - 04/24/06 12:10 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Mrs Rabbit has been picking them for years. She dries them, then simply boils up several whenever she is making broth or soup. You don't want to just boil the turkey tail by itself. For taste, I save the bones from our t-bone steaks and ribs, etc. When ready to make up a broth, I get the bones out and roast them in the oven at 400F until they're well done and starting to smoke a bit. Add to boiling water and let boil for a couple of hours with the turkey tail. Add water as needed. After a couple of hours, strain off the bones and polypores, then use the water to make soup, noodles or rice.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Re: Turkey Tail (Trametes versicolor) preperation and dosage? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5549778 - 04/24/06 12:13 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Hmm, I was thinking more for like a daily health tonic kind of thing. Can I just boil some up in some water and then use that water to make a cup of tea or something? Also you said 'a few'...is dosage not too important? Some more accurate info / links would be great.

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

#5550413 - 04/24/06 08:26 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

i make tea with the turkey tails all the time... highly recommended and enjoyable, one of our favorite wild medicinals mushrooms to use for tea..

dont have too much specific dosage ideas just a handfull or so per 1/2gal of water...

preserving it is a bit tough if you want to do some sort of tonic veryday type of thing you may need to just make tea a few times a week and store the extra in the fridge..

ive also made a double extraction with it to make a more readily available medicine... i dont have my notes here but essentially i break up the mushrooms as much as possible, powder them if possible, then put them in a jar and cover with 50/50 water/grain alchohol, you can also use vodka which is essentially 50% water anyway... pour just enough to cover the mushrooms and shake it once a day for 4 weeks... after 4 weeks strain and you have whats called a tincture... from here i make another extract using hot water, called a decoction.. i take about hte same amount of mushrooms i used for the first process and boil them in 4times the amount of liquid i have left over after straining(DONT BOIL THE ALCOHOL EXTRACT) just use plain water.. boil it down till you have essentially the same amount of decoction as you have tincture and let it cool, once cool add it to the tincture and you have yourself a double extraction.. this way you get the water soluble properties and the alchohol soluble ones.. i like to do my med mushroom extracts this way..

checkout www.christopherhobbs.com he has some medicinal mushroom articles and his book on medicinal mushrooms is one of the best ive seen

have fun

--------------------
"listening for the secret.. searching for the sound.."

InvisibleTheWay
just some dude
Male User Gallery

Loc: free
Re: Turkey Tail (Trametes versicolor) preperation and dosage? [Re: mattymonkey]
    #5550493 - 04/24/06 09:10 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

This post is the first Ive ever heard of turkey tails, herbal/natural medicine is a new interest of mine so I started serching for info.
As far as dosage, I just saw some daily suplement capsules on a website that contained 500mg of freeze-dried turkey tail mycillium if that helps.

these are very interesting fungi, Ill have to add it to my long list of things to research.

--------------------

Offlinecurenado
73rd Man
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Central Arkansas
Re: Turkey Tail (Trametes versicolor) preperation and dosage? [Re: TheWay]
    #5551969 - 04/24/06 06:39 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

The simplest thing is just to eat them as a whole food in any of the above described methods and by powdering them and putting them in capsules. They are a regular crop here and we pick them almost year round by the trash bag.
If you mix them with powdered reishi you can use them in pasta and other dishes too.
I think it is better if you eat them 2-3 times/day as opposed to all at once, and as much as 1/4 teaspoon 3xday is more protective and beneficial than one might think, at least with the hardwood varieties.
They have a lot of ergosterol and coriolan, two of the main benefactors. A commercial drug was made from them for cancers of the alimentary tract.
A true blessing!
We also extract them. Use at least 1/2 cup powdered T. tails per quart of water.

--------------------
Yours in the Natural State!
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep; but I have patches to keep, and jars to sterilize before I sleep...."

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Re: Turkey Tail (Trametes versicolor) preperation and dosage? [Re: curenado]
    #5553760 - 04/25/06 01:49 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the tips guys.

So am I correct in interpreting that these are just as good if you make a tea from them, as in you do not have to consume the physical flesh of the mushroom?

InvisibleTheWay
just some dude
Male User Gallery

#5555665 - 04/25/06 05:52 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I went out checking some areas where I've seen morels and giant puffballs in the past, nothings fruiting yet but I found these decomposing fruits from last year and thought of this post.
  Are these also turkey tails?

They dont have quite the same shape as in your pics or do they? and the colors are duller. but then again theyre dead.

I believe their colors were brighter when they were alive. I'm hoping theseare turkey tails so i'll know where to look for some when mushrooms start showing up here!(any day now) :waits:

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

#5557102 - 04/26/06 12:09 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah that looks like them to me. I've dried mine out and been mixing a couple a day with a hot drink.

InvisibleTheWay
just some dude
Male User Gallery

#5558020 - 04/26/06 10:09 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

excellent, thanks for the id.

--------------------

Offlinecurenado
73rd Man
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Central Arkansas
    #5558708 - 04/26/06 01:31 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Turkey tails, like wood ears dry out completely and reconstitute in rainy weather. If yu think they are dead, check them after a couple days rain.

--------------------
Yours in the Natural State!
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep; but I have patches to keep, and jars to sterilize before I sleep...."

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

#5560061 - 04/26/06 07:57 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

You could always grind them up and encapsulate.

InvisibleFungusMan
I81U812
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Everywhere
Re: Turkey Tail (Trametes versicolor) preperation and dosage? [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #5576518 - 05/01/06 07:50 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

What are the medicinal uses for this fungus?

InvisibleTheWay
just some dude
Male User Gallery

Re: Turkey Tail (Trametes versicolor) preperation and dosage? [Re: FungusMan]
    #5576580 - 05/01/06 08:38 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

It has been used in china to fight cancer.
Ive read that it can suppress the growth of tumors, but I cant find the link.
Here's some links to some stories.
I dont think the U of M intends to "find" anything useful about the turkey tail, it's not in the interest of their benefactors, they seem to be concentrating on the immune system boosting effects(which alot of mushrooms have)

article article

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale