Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMead

Re: Blue-foot Psilocybe caerulipes Found in Ohio [Re: YESSUP]
    #5595767 - 05/05/06 09:13 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the much appreciated habitat update photos.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Blue-foot Psilocybe caerulipes Found in Ohio [Re: Gumby]
    #5595949 - 05/05/06 09:54 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

That Polygonum cuspidatum is a real menace around here, but the blue-foot seem to like it.  :smile:

InvisibleHermes_br
~~~
 User Gallery

Re: Blue-foot Psilocybe caerulipes Found in Ohio [Re: shroomydan]
    #5597246 - 05/06/06 09:12 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I haven't login in a while but...

that's beautiful man !!

thanks for sharing.

I think that even Gastón Guzmán is going to drivel at those pics  :cool:

best regards.

InvisibleMead

#5597524 - 05/06/06 11:24 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

These aren't the same plants are they?
Appear too fat to me.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #5597570 - 05/06/06 11:43 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Shroomy Dan postted this image of Galerina sp. next to a speciment of Psilocybe caerulipes.

Observe that the stem of the galerina is an orange ochraceous clor with an orange veil remnant left on the stipe of the Galerina.

The astipe of the P. caerulipes is whitish to straw-yellow-brown and turns extremely a bluinsh-silver to blui throughout the stipe and the ring is generally a light-brownish color in the veil remnant on the stipe.

Two distinct observations to a new collector.

Aas for the color of the Galerina cap, the P. caerulipes caps, can look exactly that same color at time because the cap colors of P. caerulipes can have many variations of the chestnut look.

mj

Another great day for you Dan.

Kudos on the photography also.

mj

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Re: Blue-foot Psilocybe caerulipes Found in Ohio [Re: Mead]
    #5598813 - 05/06/06 08:14 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

MeadMadeMe said:

These aren't the same plants are they?
Appear too fat to me.

Yeah, that's Polygonum cuspidatum. My photos didn't show how big they were because I wanted people to be able to see the shrooms. That looks like good habitat by the way, but a few weeks too early. Some of the mushrooms I found today were growing under plants eight feet high.

Will update shortly.

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

#5600308 - 05/07/06 07:49 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Yesterday I decided to check a few of the other new spots I scouted over the winter.

I didn't find any mushrooms at all the first two places I checked, but the third was teaming with many species. I didn't find any blue-foot there, but I did find these look-a-likes. I don't have the first clue what they are, but the cinnamon brown spore deposit on the veil rules out Psilocybe. The notched gills also distinguish them from P. caerulipes which has adnate to subdecurrent gill attachment.

I also found these interesting specimens. My first thought was Pasthyrella, but they had a pelicule.

No blue-foot, but the stop was not wasted because I brought out several pounds of yellow morels.  :grin:
It's nice to carry around a bag of morels just in case somebody wants to know what I'm doing.

I was beginning to despair of finding another blue-foot location, but the day wasn't over yet, so I decided to visit a stream I had scouted in Washington County Ohio. 

I was swimming through a dense thicket of P. cuspidatum when I found the first blue-foot. The wavy caps on some of these remind me of P. cyanescens.

I only found a few specimens in the Japanese Knot-weed forest, but when I made my way into a sandy area under some trees (Buckeye, Alder, Elm) I found a few more. The mushrooms along this stream were sparsely dispersed, and difficult to spot due to thick ground cover vegetation.

Despite the difficult hunting conditions, I manged to find about thirty nice specimens in an hour's hunting, including this pretty little cluster.

Now I know there are at least two streams in eastern Ohio that are populated by P. caerulipes. Maybe there are more.  :smile:

OfflineNuggetpouch
Male

#5601011 - 05/07/06 01:18 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

shroomydan said:

Next I encountered these monsters.

[I enhanced the color a little on the first two, couldn't help myself.  :grin:

damn you shroomy dan i just spilled burning hot coffee all over my lap as a result from a  muscle spasm when i viewed those pictures.

--------------------
My statistical assumption is that chemical tapering should begin when the rate of visiting ODD exceeds the rate of visiting Pub, or any other Shroomery forum.

OfflineBuDBuddY
SuppishExtrordinaire...
Male

Loc: Kentucky
Re: Da Bluef00t! [Re: Nuggetpouch]
    #5606389 - 05/08/06 08:00 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Sweet, hopefully there'll be some still growin' by the time I get there...

--------------------
Toadie said:
I call them "mouth-breathers."

People who basically don't use their nose.
You can always hear them breathing and making mouth noises.
-
My "TRIP" Playlist - Musix
-
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Logging Chain of Courteous Debate.
Get yours
-

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Loc: At work, at school, at my...
    #5606462 - 05/08/06 08:22 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

All I can say is wow, I don't visit often anymore... This is absolutly incredible Dan, you are truly the man.... Great photo's and habitat descriptions.... I am sooo glad you have found them.... good luck to all .. Nofindum....

--------------------
My hunting partner is gone, I miss her so!

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Re: Da Bluef00t! [Re: BuDBuddY]
    #5609316 - 05/09/06 03:53 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

BuDBuddY said:
Sweet, hopefully there'll be some still growin' by the time I get there...

You should probably wait for rain before making the drive. It's been really dry here lately. I went out today and only found a handful. They are predicting rain in the area over the next few days, so maybe this week-end. Odds are slim to none that you will find my magic spot, but these things are more common than I originally thought. I found one at a third location today. Details in a few...

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Re: Blue-foot Psilocybe caerulipes Found in Ohio [Re: nofind_um]
    #5609527 - 05/09/06 05:03 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Thank you for the kind words nofind um. When I first showed up here a few years ago you were one of the one's I looked up to. It's good to see you around.  :smile:

-------------------------------------------

Well this morning I woke up with a million things to do, but instead of accomplishing any of them I went mushroom hunting. I don't even like eating mushrooms anymore. I haven't had a good trip in two years, and I have yet to sample these wild blue-foot, yet I am still strangely compelled to spend most of my free time alone in the deep woods documenting these spectacular little creatures.  Maybe I need to see a psychiatrist.  :nut:

I suppose there are worse obsessions.  :smile:

OK, when I found blue-foot at the location in Washington County a few days ago, I was hunting on public land (Wayne National Forest), but I was very near some kind of private property. It wasn't posted, but I knew there was a gated road crossing the stream up ahead, and I could hear a lawn mower running up that way. The closer I got to the mower, the more plentiful the shrooms were on the ground. This didn't surprise me, because I also knew I was approaching the confluence of two streams, and at my magic spot in Belmont county, the shrooms were thickest at the confluence of two streams. That day I never did find any large clusters of mushrooms. Most of them were singular, and a few were in groups of two or three. Because I did not want to be seen I stopped short of the confluence of the two streams and went home.

I had been dieing to know if another patch of thousands existed at that spot, and I figured that maybe nobody would be there during the week, so early this morning I jumped in the metro and headed that way. To make a long story short, I did not find a large patch of shrooms. I found about ten total in two hours of hunting. All of them were growing singly. There were a couple of vacant cabins and an oil well on the gated property. Of course it hasn't rained here for two weeks, so maybe that spot will be rockin after it rains.

There was another spot I scouted over the winter that I had not yet checked, so i drove up to Monroe county to see what I could find. This stream is the largest of the three where I have found blue foot.

The conditions were extremely dry (plants were starting to wilt) and I had little hope of finding them there, but what the hell, I'm obsessed.  :smile:

The trip paid off. I found a single pristine specimen with a few dried ones around it.

Though it was only one, I suspect more will be there after the next good rain. This stream differs from the other two where I have found blue-foot in that it is not infested by Japanese knot-weed.  The place were blue-foot was growing is typical of where I have found the densest populations at the other two locations.

These small ledges a few feet above the stream bed, shaded by a hill (in this case), or trees, or Japanese knot-weed is blue-foot's preferred home.

Though it was only one mushroom (this was the only mushroom of any kind I found along this stream, probably due to dry conditions), it makes for three out of six streams in Eastern Ohio that host Psilocybe caerulipes. That's pretty good odds. The one thing all the streams have in common is that they are big enough to make it difficult to cross without getting your feet wet, but small enough that you can find a place to get across, even if you have to put down a few stepping stones.

I have a feeling more Ohio folks will be posting finds after the next good rain.  :wink:

OfflineDudeyourgone
Gone...
Male User Gallery
Loc: California
    #5609561 - 05/09/06 05:15 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I'm moving to ohio.

Offlineimfrank
Stranger
Re: Blue-foot Psilocybe caerulipes Found in Ohio [Third Location with Habitat Pics Added 09MAY06] [Re: shroomydan]
    #5609695 - 05/09/06 05:59 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

i have been picking now for about 5 years... none of those mushrooms quite look like caerulipies but rather azeurenszens (bad spelling). one question that i have for you is have you noticed a specific tree that these caps need to thrive off of and or plant life... i have found many wavy cap psilocybes that i was led to believe were either caerulipies or cyanescens.... please give me any insite that you have!
thanks
imfrank

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Re: Blue-foot Psilocybe caerulipes Found in Ohio [Third Location with Habitat Pics Added 09MAY06] [Re: imfrank]
    #5609709 - 05/09/06 06:06 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

P. cyanescens is a west coast mushroom. The only active Psilocybe we have in this area is P. caerulipes. If you read this entire post you will see that your questions about trees and plants have been answered.

Welcome to the shroomery imfrank! 
:laugh:

Offlinephishhead
down to fragglerock...
 User Gallery

Loc: roswell, georgia
Re: Blue-foot Psilocybe caerulipes Found in Ohio [Third Location with Habitat Pics Added 09MAY06] [Re: shroomydan]
    #5610415 - 05/09/06 08:51 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Great finds shroomy, Im wondering how well I would do looking down here in Georgia considering they are on our list of actives. Whats the elevation where you are finding them? I wonder if i might have luck up by the appalachians??

--------------------
"Moderation is the key to life..."

InvisibleBobHumboldt
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Awsome Post, Dan! Thank you. [Re: phishhead]
    #5624060 - 05/13/06 10:17 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

You are a master mycologist, Dan. I'm about 270 miles northeast of your area.

Although I don't expect that I'll find the caerulipes right off the bat, if ever, I suspect that you have opened a page that will end up in Psilocybe Mushrooms of the World, and in mjshroomer's work, in terms of documenting the distribution of this wonderful species.

Thank you! May the Gods continue to shine as you foray.

OfflineHIghInOhio
stranger thanyou
 User Gallery

Loc: ohio
Re: Awsome Post, Dan! Thank you. [Re: BobHumboldt]
    #5624841 - 05/13/06 02:24 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

There is so much rain!
Maybe even too much?

What do you think master Dan, is the Little Muskingum much bigger than the streams you have been having luck near?
I'm about to be taking a little fishing/shrooming trip north of Marietta and I'll surely be keeping my eyes open for the blue foot. I'll leave some behind for ya though...

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Re: Awsome Post, Dan! Thank you. [Re: HIghInOhio]
    #5628908 - 05/14/06 03:56 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I don't think the Little Muskingum would be good habitat (at least the parts of it that I have seen), because it is slow moving with really high banks. The blue-foot seem to prefer faster moving streams. You will usually find them in sandy areas too, and from what I have seen, Little Muskingum is more mud than sand. You may do better by searching smaller feeder streams running into it. We just found blue-foot at a forth location in eastern Ohio at the gathering this weekend. That makes 4 out of six places tried, though they were later at the stream we hunted this weekend than at the others. I also heard from an experienced bluefoot guerrilla grower that they can sometimes fruit "in every month of the year" but i would not bother looking in the dead of winter unless you want to move the myc inside to fruit like mushpuppet did.  :sun:

InvisibleJenny
part of thewhole
Male User Gallery

Loc: Columbus, OHIO
    #5629740 - 05/14/06 07:38 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

woo!

Thanks to you I'm going to start posting on the hunting forum..thanks for hosting the campout this weekend, it was fabulous!

--------------------

Mindfulness is the aware, balanced acceptance of the present experience.
It isn't more complicated than that.
It is opening to or recieving the present moment, pleasant or unpleasant, just as it is,
without either clinging to it or rejecting it.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom