Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Kid faces possible expulsion for turning in his pocket knife at school
    #5474319 - 04/03/06 11:58 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Some 8th grader accidentally leaves his Swiss Army knife in his pocket, realizes it right when he walks in the door at school and promptly turns it in to the office. What does he get in return? A 10 day suspension and recommendation for expulsion :rolleyes:

----------------------
A Far-Eastside couple say they are stunned that a Warren Township Schools principal suspended their son and recommended his expulsion for possession of a pocketknife even though he turned the knife in to the office as soon as he arrived at school.

After turning in the knife, the eighth-grader was suspended from Stonybrook Middle School for 10 days and may be expelled.
Elizabeth Voge-Wehrheim and Frank Wehrheim, the boy's mother and stepfather, have hired Indianapolis attorney Lawrence T. Newman to represent them.

"This young man made the most responsible choice under any policy possible," Newman said of the boy, Elliot Voge. "They are treating him as the most irresponsible student under the circumstances."
Elliot, 14, said he was walking to the school entrance in the brisk weather March 3 and had placed his hands in his coat pocket when he felt the Swiss army pocketknife in the pocket.

"I went straight to the office right inside (the front door)," he said.

He said he handed the knife to Teri Donahue, the school's treasurer, and told her he had brought it to school by mistake.

As a result of Elliot's actions, the school's principal, Jimmy Meadows, suspended Elliot for the maximum 10 school days as allowed by law and recommended Elliot be expelled. A confidential expulsion hearing is scheduled for April 10.

Suspending and seeking to expel Elliot until June 6 under the circumstances have so stunned Elliot, his mother and stepfather that they agreed to go public with his situation.

"When Mr. Meadows said he was referring Elliot for expulsion, I was in shock," said Voge-Wehrheim.

Jeff Swensson, Warren Township Schools' associate superintendent, said a principal in Indiana has the discretion to suspend a student for virtually any reason for up to 10 school days by state law but can only recommend expulsion.

A "very well-documented" hearing is held before a student is expelled, and there's no foregone conclusion, Swensson said.
On March 21, Superintendent Peggy Hinckley appointed an external hearing examiner. She wrote "there's reasonable grounds for investigation" after she reviewed the charges.

In his expulsion recommendation summary dated March 6, Meadows wrote that "Elliot informed me that he had a knife in his coat pocket because he was working outside on some wooden objects the day before.

"Elliot put the knife into his pocket after he completed the tasks," Meadows' summary continued, "and forgot to remove the knife from his coat."

Elliot said he was stunned to feel the knife in his pocket just seconds after he left a van about 7:20 a.m. March 3 that was driven by a classmate's mother. She had dropped him off near the school's entrance.

Elliot said in an interview that he was on the front porch at his home on Thursday, March 2 -- a day off because it was a professional day for teachers -- with his brother Tristan, 10, using Tristan's Swiss army knife to whittle wood.

Swiss army pocketknives are actually multipurpose tools, which may include a screwdriver, pliers and a bottle cap opener.

Meadows, in his expulsion-recommendation summary, wrote: "Realizing that the knife was an item he should not have on school property, Elliot immediately went into the main office and handed the knife to our school treasurer."

Meadows noted in his summary that "throughout the entire investigation and student due-process, Elliott (sic) was a model student."

The principal pointed out he asked Elliot "if he knew of another situation at Stonybrook where a knife was involved and the consequences given. Elliot acknowledged he knew first-hand of the situation and outcome."

Elliot later explained in an interview that a knife fell out of a pocket of a classmate in February in a fourth-period class, and the boy was suspended and later expelled.

In recommending Elliot's expulsion, Meadows, who could not be reached for comment last week, noted, "I personally wrote to Stonybrook parents twice this year concerning weapons, the school's actions, protocols and procedures. I also reiterated the importance in communication with our students concerning this serious matter."

Besides being notified by letter on March 21 of the expulsion effort against Elliot, the boy's mother received a letter dated March 20 from Michael J. Wallpe, Warren Township Schools' associate superintendent of school improvement.

Ironically, the letter states that Elliot is recommended for advanced placement courses in English, science and social studies for his freshman year at Warren Central High School.

Voge-Wehrheim said her son's suspension already has damaged grades on his latest report card.

She and Elliot note he has always had good grades, has participated in a variety of school activities and has never had any other disciplinary matter arise against him in his school years.

The family's attorney said school officials' actions send students the wrong message.
"Their message is to be dishonest, take more chances," Newman said.

He said Elliot could not be worse off at this point in school discipline than if he had taken the knife to school intentionally, kept it with him in school where it could pose a risk and just happened to get caught.

"What's the incentive?" Newman said of students who want to do the right thing.

School policy requires students "to report knowledge of deadly or dangerous weapons or threats of violence to the school administration."

Elliot "didn't want to keep it (the knife) on his person," Newman said. "The school is saying, 'Don't make this responsible choice.' "

LINK
--------------------------------

Anybody else really feel the urge to shove your foot up the principal's ass?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Re: Kid faces possible expulsion for turning in his pocket knife at school [Re: DNKYD]
    #5474324 - 04/03/06 12:01 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Schools are nothing more than camps to get kids ready for their futures in jail.

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: Kid faces possible expulsion for turning in his pocket knife at school [Re: daimyo]
    #5474332 - 04/03/06 12:03 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Ha.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan
Re: Kid faces possible expulsion for turning in his pocket knife at school [Re: DNKYD]
    #5474334 - 04/03/06 12:03 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

i used to bring to school in like, second grade

--------------------

InvisibleScott Bennett
Lucrative
 User Gallery

Loc: Toronto
Re: Kid faces possible expulsion for turning in his pocket knife at school *DELETED* [Re: DNKYD]
    #5474415 - 04/03/06 12:22 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Post deleted by ThaiLipaYai

Reason for deletion: Cleaning House For Paranoia!

--------------------
It's just some nights, you really want to go out, get some hot bitch to dump Goose down your throat and snort coke off a stripper's tits.

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Kid faces possible expulsion for turning in his pocket knife at school [Re: Scott Bennett]
    #5474422 - 04/03/06 12:25 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, next time STAB everyone in the office.

--------------------

OfflinePOTtismGOD
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Kid faces possible expulsion for turning in his pocket knife at school [Re: HELLA_TIGHT]
    #5474429 - 04/03/06 12:26 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

from like 5-12 grade i had either a like 5 inch foldable knife or a butteryfly knife on me everyday. I never even thought of it as a hazard..it was just a tool. The only reason i dont know is cuz my friend lost all my knives and i havent baught any since.

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Kid faces possible expulsion for turning in his pocket knife at school *DELETED* [Re: POTtismGOD]
    #5474432 - 04/03/06 12:27 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Post deleted by geokills

Reason for deletion: You made your point, reiterations of already borderline inappropriate comments are best kept in OTD.

--------------------

OfflinePinballWizard
Naive and Gullible as usual

#5474448 - 04/03/06 12:31 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Same thing happened to me once, except I just slipped it in my bookbag after I noticed it.  Good thing I didn't tell anyone.  :whoa:

OfflineHitman203
Stranger
Re: Kid faces possible expulsion for turning in his pocket knife at school [Re: POTtismGOD]
    #5474456 - 04/03/06 12:33 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

POTtismGOD said:
from like 5-12 grade i had either a like 5 inch foldable knife or a butteryfly knife on me everyday. I never even thought of it as a hazard..it was just a tool. The only reason i dont know is cuz my friend lost all my knives and i havent baught any since.

A butterfly knife i wouldnt say is a tool. But i carry a leatherman on my belt and have for like 5+ years. I went to a small school that i think is a lot different then most other high schools....

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #5474599 - 04/03/06 01:21 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

This reminds me of the kid who got in trouble for bringing a butter knife to school with his lunch. A fucking butter knife.

This "zero tolerance" bullshit is insane.

OfflineGinseng1
Elegant Universe
 User Gallery

Re: Kid faces possible expulsion for turning in his pocket knife at school [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #5474686 - 04/03/06 01:54 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN!!!

--------------------
Flowing through beginningless time since time without beginning...

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Re: Kid faces possible expulsion for turning in his pocket knife at school [Re: Ginseng1]
    #5474688 - 04/03/06 01:55 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

"Fuck the children" - George Carlin

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#5474724 - 04/03/06 02:06 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I carried a pocket knife all through highschool during the first waves of highschool shootings.  Every teacehr knew I had it, but did nothing... i was an Eagle Scout :smile:

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: Kid faces possible expulsion for turning in his pocket knife at school [Re: Jim]
    #5474732 - 04/03/06 02:07 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Well there ya go. Everybody knows eagle scouts are too pussy to use a knife for anything other than whittling soap bars. :wink:

InvisibleScott Bennett
Lucrative
 User Gallery

Re: Kid faces possible expulsion for turning in his pocket knife at school *DELETED* [Re: Jim]
    #5474735 - 04/03/06 02:07 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------
It's just some nights, you really want to go out, get some hot bitch to dump Goose down your throat and snort coke off a stripper's tits.

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Re: Kid faces possible expulsion for turning in his pocket knife at school [Re: Scott Bennett]
    #5474764 - 04/03/06 02:16 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

my best friend got expelled for selling knives at school freshman year. He ordered em online in bulk, and sold em for like 20 bucks a pop - butterfly knives, throwing knives, and switchblades. lol. Now there's a guy that deserved to be expelled. This kid is a model citizen, why are people so crazy.

--------------------

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#5474776 - 04/03/06 02:19 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

hahaha, no I carried a SOG fighting knife. We weren't fagscouts up here either... We did tons of cool shit.

--------------------

afoaf said:

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#5474782 - 04/03/06 02:19 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

DNKYD said:
Well there ya go. Everybody knows eagle scouts are too pussy to use a knife for anything other than whittling soap bars. :wink:

and you have no idea what you are talking about, --

--------------------

afoaf said:

Edited by blinkidiot (04/03/06 03:35 PM)

InvisibleScott Bennett
Lucrative
 User Gallery

Re: Kid faces possible expulsion for turning in his pocket knife at school *DELETED* [Re: Jim]
    #5474786 - 04/03/06 02:21 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom