Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChemiker
Stranger
Male
Re: LSD crystal purity [Re: mecreateme]
    #6406983 - 12/29/06 01:08 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

mecreateme said:
But I also meant to address your troll like posting.

I'm fucking sick of this. I actually have relevant information. The only thing that makes any of my posts "troll like" is that sometimes when I do post, what I contradicts the "common knowledge" of most other people here. That's not trolling. Please stop trying to discredit. I don't want to feel that I have to put goddamn references for every sentence.

I don't recall saying that ever, but there is a thing you can do, which is called sending off your chemicals to people that do have this equipment.

In this case, I would just be sending the sample to me.

Someone in the other thread said that illicit LSD was tested using GC/MS. I guess it wasn't you then, but the point is that I think this is really unlikely. I find claims like this really problematic however. I'm hesistant to toss relevant information out the window just because it seems suspect to me, but that particular claim does seem suspect.

However, even in the case of GC/MS, it's a pretty rare skill for someone to know how to operate one. Of about 500 chemists I work with, less than 10 of them know how to operate the spectrometers we have.

As far as I'm aware, it's illegal for labs to assay street samples of drugs, unless they have special permission. So, unless someone wants to admit to committing a crime with a very valuable peice of equipment, then we're never going to find any published GC/MS samples of LSD.

Quote:

I am guessing you are under the guise that nobody would willingly do this, because of the obvious legal ramifications, but in some countries it is no big deal.

I'd be willing to, but I don't know how to operate a mass spectrometer. I also doubt that this crowd would take my specta seriously.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineyageman
already dead
 User Gallery

Re: LSD crystal purity [Re: Chemiker]
    #6406997 - 12/29/06 01:15 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

megalomania with a touch of sophistication. (kidding)

Just try to not be so fuggin snotty..........lol

I dont mind though, I like your style. It reminds me of myself when under a different name.

What you say is obviously entertaining to you, and its good info.
Present it as you wish. You wont get a bad rating from me, thats for sure.

--------------------
[quote]Me_Roy said:
You moron. Material is material is material.  No 'thing' fixes any situation.  If anything were so simple we would be living in a much better world.[/quote] <-----the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life.
Thanks shroomery.

Edited by yageman (12/29/06 01:18 AM)

OfflineChemiker
Stranger
Male
Re: LSD crystal purity [Re: yageman]
    #6407022 - 12/29/06 01:39 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

It just comes down to me reading the forums quickly and only posting when something really strikes me as contradictory to what I know. It's not entertaining to me though. You know, people often refer to my tone, but . . . whyenI type, I hear myself talking to another person pleasantly (and as equals). Text can't carry tone like that.

The only time I'm having fun is when I send people really vicious private messages or leave absurdly negative ratings. I try to keep my fun a little more private than on the forums (otherwise I imagine I'd cause so much havok that I'd be banned within a month). Even when I'm doing something like that though, I'm just trying to get their attention. I really do think that I can be a useful source of information, but that does require me getting people's attention.

The rating is irrelevant to me.

Offlineyageman
already dead
 User Gallery

#6407038 - 12/29/06 01:53 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I understand that.

Its just has to do with your "tone". Texting logic without feeling or emotional connection is dry and has no tone. Thats why people consider it to be almost offensive sometimes. Partially because it is not playful, and they cant attack you back or level with you sometimes.... Thats not their style.

Dont worry about it though man, im the same way, but in real life.

Conversing with me really pisses some people off. I dont mean to cause that. Im just reacting and putting information out there.
Im glad you think the rating is irrelevant, and that what you say most of the time is not entertaining to you.

If I were you, supporting the truth behind my statements would be very entertaining in a weird way, always was, or else I would not be here, getting all dry and snotty with people here and there.....

Its all good. Enjoy the rating. Just wanted to help you help yourself if you want to give good valued information here from now on. That last statement is supposed to be kinda funny..........
I hope you see what I mean.

--------------------
[quote]Me_Roy said:
You moron. Material is material is material.  No 'thing' fixes any situation.  If anything were so simple we would be living in a much better world.[/quote] <-----the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life.
Thanks shroomery.

Edited by yageman (12/29/06 02:07 AM)

InvisibleJAP
Stranger
Re: LSD crystal purity [Re: yageman]
    #6407292 - 12/29/06 06:17 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Edited by JAP (01/01/07 05:11 PM)

Invisiblemecreateme
YoUisMEEMsiUoY
Male User Gallery

Loc: Memphrica
    #6407723 - 12/29/06 10:59 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

In this case, I would just be sending the sample to me.

Someone in the other thread said that illicit LSD was tested using GC/MS. I guess it wasn't you then, but the point is that I think this is really unlikely. I find claims like this really problematic however. I'm hesistant to toss relevant information out the window just because it seems suspect to me, but that particular claim does seem suspect.

However, even in the case of GC/MS, it's a pretty rare skill for someone to know how to operate one. Of about 500 chemists I work with, less than 10 of them know how to operate the spectrometers we have.

As far as I'm aware, it's illegal for labs to assay street samples of drugs, unless they have special permission. So, unless someone wants to admit to committing a crime with a very valuable peice of equipment, then we're never going to find any published GC/MS samples of LSD.

Ever read the Microgram?

--------------------
No ONE wants to know the ultimate TRUTH, as soon as YOU find IT out, YOU want to forget IT.

You are everything's way of feeling itself.

Happy Schwag, everygodly!

InvisibleDark_Star
train driver pervading a desktop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
    #6408093 - 12/29/06 01:06 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Chemiker said:

Have you ever tested different crystal types blind?  If you haven't, then clearly we cannot draw predictive correlations between different crystal types and different effects.

Yes, this was something I noticed long before I had heard of different crystal types.

Quote:

Another thing I'd like to throw out there is that Owsley, widely believed to be the best LSD chemist ever

Probably a myth.  An LSD synthesis is not the "impossible" task everyone thinks it is.  It should be relatively simple to get repeatably good yields of high purity (which is exactly why LSD syntheses are published).

was an alchemist.

What is the significance of that supposed to be?

He approached making LSD as an alchemical act, and valued purity of mind and soul as much as he valued the purity of chemistry.

I doubt that his different approach resulted in any special.

Many people disagree with that, Ken Kesey being one. Did you ever take any genuine Owsley acid? (Speaking of this, I heard kids talking about having "Owsley acid" a couple years ago. :rofl:) I never got that opportunity, so I can't compare. Having said this, I've had plenty of LSD that was exceptionally clean, and I can't see how LSD could get any better than that. That theory I posted is just that, a theory, and not mine either. I was just thowing it out to see what you'd think about it. My personal opinion is that it's just nostalgia, but, I never got to sample any, so......  His LSD WAS special though....all good LSD is.  :laugh:

Quote:

I've taken a lot of LSD over the years, and I have to say that some of the doses out now are the cleanest I've ever had, hands down.

I don't believe that you can know that on the basis of simply ingesting the drug.  What does "dirty acid" feel like and what does "dirty acid" mean?

Well, I suppose "dirty acid" would be LSD with *active* impurities in it.  The problem is two-fold: (1) other than iso-LSD, nobody seems to know what impurities are present.  (2)  Given the highly variable and subjective nature of psychedelic drugs, I don't believe that anyone can guage the purity of their LSD sample by eating it (a lot of this is simply because LSD is so uniquely potent, that it's very unlikely you're going to run into an impurity with any effect).

What I meant by clean was the experience, let me rephrase; some of the doses I've come across this year are the cleanest FEELING LSD I've ever had. It's something  I notice every single time I take doses from that batch.  The 'dirty acid' feeling is a body load, a wierd feeling I get in my bones, my jaw, my back, my left arm, etc. Occasional cramping, and a more "speedy" feeling, not that I feel tweaked or anything, just that I feel like moving around a lot, and can't really stay still. I've had a lot of beautiful and amazing experiences on doses like that, so I'm def. not bashing it.  I'm not going to say what causes it, because I'm not sure about that. What I am positive about is that some doses are definitely  cleaner than others. Whether or not that's due to the crystal used or not I'll leave alone; my personal opinion is that it is, but I can't give you any scientific proof, so I'm going to leave it as an opinion.

What the debate in this thread shows is how cloaked in mystery LSD still is, after all of these years.  Seeing as we've gone back and forth on this subject, I'd like to say that I find the information you're posting very interesting, and well researched. I think the hostility you're recieving because of it is due to peoples' belief systems being called into question, and a misunderstanding of what you're saying (People thinking you're calling their experiences bullshit).  LSD is sacred, and has touched all of us very deeply, hence the high emotions in this thread (ever try to tell a christian that they aren't practicing what they preach?  :smirk:, this is a very different conversation, yet the principal is the same.)  I'm the same way, your posts are trying to shed more light on LSD, and I dig that, and feel no hostility towards you for it, rather I see us as comrades in the cause. :laugh: However, I do get mightily pissed whenever I hear people spreading all the bullshit lies about LSD (the glass of orange juice, strychnine, stuck in your spine, fries your brain, 7 hits and you're insane, etc......) So I can see where the folks are coming from here.

We just have to remember that we're all on the same side.  :heart:

--------------------

OfflineCarbon_Black
Pause/Break
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: State, Country, etc. ';)
Re: LSD crystal purity [Re: JAP]
    #6408877 - 12/29/06 06:38 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

JAP said:
And FWIW, running a GC/MS is about as simple as doing a drive-by in GTA-San Andreas on the PS2!!

A bit exaggerated of course, but I was also under the impression that is easy.  With the chem knowledge required for synthesis of lyserg saure diethylamid, learning gc/ms is a minor step.
There's a free video about running GC/MS online somewhere (might be MIT).  It certainly looked easier than synthesis.
I doubt any but the largest labs have them, due to high cost, suspicion, and availability of easier methods.
Good thread, keep the knowledge flowin!
:mushroom2: :mushroom2:

*Also, Bear stated in an interview that "weird" things happened with ultrapure lsd, like not dissolving in Methanol.

--------------------
As Sure As The Sun Will Shine

Edited by Carbon_Black (12/29/06 06:40 PM)

OfflineChemiker
Stranger
Male
    #6409050 - 12/29/06 08:18 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

JAP said:
Only a noob would try and test the purity of LSD with a GC/MS.

I don't think that most newbies have access to GC/MS, but what you're implying is nonsense (and is more insulting than I usually am). GC/MS is one of the best combinations that could be used to not only test purity but also to identify those impurities.

The compound and the various impurities are not volatile or stable enough to get out of the injection port unless you derivatize them.

That is nonsense and your assertion is simply incorrect.

If what you're saying were true, then no mass spectra for LSD would exist. In fact, there are various ways of analysing LSD via GC/MS. We know that detection of LSD and its metabolites is already accomplished by GC/MS.[1]

If you develop the plate with Ehrlich's reagent, you can scan the plate with an ordinary desktop scanner and use some very basic image analysis to do densitometry on it. This easily gives you a fairly accurate estimate of the ratio of D-LSD to iso-LSD in a sample.

Do you have a reference for this method? What about other impurities? Can they be ruled out?

Please provide a reference for this method. Perhaps instead of implying that we're all newbies, you could back up what you're saying with a reference to a paper.

If you then intentionally degrade the sample with UV light and repeat the analysis, you can identify the impurities by the unique degradation pattern they make on the TLC plate.

Again, reference for this?

Also, does this conclusively identify the impurities?

And FWIW, running a GC/MS is about as simple as doing a drive-by in GTA-San Andreas on the PS2!!

I didn't say that it wasn't simple. I've never tried, but I do know that it is a relatively rare skill to have. Running GC is very easy, I know that. It's tedious. However, most chemists don't know how to run a mass spectrometer, so your comment isn't really relevant. Most chemists with PhDs don't know to run a mass spectrometer. Whether or not it is easy, doesn't matter. Anyway, if it's so easy, then why would only a newbie try to test for LSD and its impurites with this method?

Think of this way: in principle, chemistry is easy, but that doesn't mean that everyone is a chemist or everyone can solve chemical problems at this moment.

[1] Nelson C C. and Foltz, R F. Chromatographic and mass spectrometric methods for determination of lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) and metabolites in body fluids. Journal of Chromatography. 580, pp. 97 - 109.

There are various reviews detailing the characterization of LSD and derivatives via GC/MS.

OfflineChemiker
Stranger
Male
Re: LSD crystal purity [Re: mecreateme]
    #6409057 - 12/29/06 08:21 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

mecreateme said:
Ever read the Microgram?

My understanding was that this publication was not freely available. No, I haven't read it.

Are you trying to make a point?

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

#6409072 - 12/29/06 08:27 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Not sure what the point was, but the bulletins are free:

htt__________p://www.usdoj.gov/dea/programs/forensicsci/microgram/bulletins_index.html

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

OfflineChemiker
Stranger
Male
Re: LSD crystal purity [Re: Dark_Star]
    #6409120 - 12/29/06 08:43 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Dark_Star said:
Quote:

Chemiker said:

Have you ever tested different crystal types blind? If you haven't, then clearly we cannot draw predictive correlations between different crystal types and different effects.

Yes, this was something I noticed long before I had heard of different crystal types.

Hang on a second and clarify what you're saying. If I understand you, then you're saying that (1) yes you have tried different crystal types blind and that (2) you noticed that different crystal types had different effects.

Ok, so how many crystal types did you try? How did you find out what type of crystal it was after you tried it? How many times did you try each different crystal?

Many people disagree with that, Ken Kesey being one.

I don't fall for logical fallacies often, so the appeal to celebrity isn't going to work on me.

Well, I don't care if people disagree that Owlsley's approach made a different. I have very little doubt that if you took two groups of chemists, and instructed one group to take an Owsley-like approach and didn't give the other group any instructions, then told them to use the same synthetic procedure, that they would produce the same LSD.

Maybe people disagree due to the power of suggestion. Maybe they heard about Owsley's approach and it became a self-fulfilling prophecy or their examination of their memory was biased.

Otherwise, you're basically asking me to accept that Owsley had supernatural powers and produced supernaturally good LSD. If I'm misunderstanding you, then please give a physical explanation.

Having said this, I've had plenty of LSD that was exceptionally clean

You can't know the purity of the substance just by eating it. Just because it felt "clean" (whatever that's supposed to me) doesn't mean anything with respect to the purity of what you actually took. I don't even know how you can begin to think that a "clean" feeling should even come close to translating into "pure LSD." It doesn't make sense.

and I can't see how LSD could get any better than that.

The point is, you don't really know. It's entirely possible that someone could give you absolutely pure LSD and you'd think it was garbage. You're not a walking peice of analytical equipment. I don't see anyone could rationally think that they can tell the purity of a substance based on its subjective effects. Honestly, for all you know, you could have had 50% pure LSD and 50% lysergic acid. Since the lysergic acid won't do anything at 100 micrograms or so, then you're not going to notice.

What I meant by clean was the experience

I get that, but I was giving you the benefit of the doubt in my earlier post, because what you're saying now is even a less reliable way of determining purity.

You're calling it "clean" but what are you basing it against? 100 training runs with absolutely pure LSD? How can you account for all the variables and unknowns? H

The 'dirty acid' feeling is a body load, a wierd feeling I get in my bones, my jaw, my back, my left arm, etc.

So? That means nothing. How can you rule out LSD as the cause of these psychosomatic symptoms?

I'm not going to say what causes it, because I'm not sure about that.

Well, as long as we agree in principle that it could have been pure LSD and you don't claim to the contrary, then I have no reason to disagree.

What I am positive about is that some doses are definitely cleaner than others

So am I, but I don't believe that you know which is which based on how they feel.

but I can't give you any scientific proof, so I'm going to leave it as an opinion.

You know, people often take science and scientific evidence as though it were some kind of esoteric magic. You should be able to test your opinion, in principle. If you get two batches of acid, and you believe that one batch is one type of crystal and another batch is a different type, then test them blind. Repeat these tests. If you can distinguish two types of crystal, then this test would reveal it. It shouldn't be hard to do and the evidence is scientific.

I think the hostility you're recieving because of it is due to peoples' belief systems being called into question

That's pretty obvious to me.

OfflineChemiker
Stranger
Male
    #6409420 - 12/29/06 10:43 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Can you provide a reference for the quantitative determination of LSD and iso-LSD using p-dimethylaminobenzaldehyde (DMAB) and TLC w/ UV light?

As far as I can see, the use of DMAB results in a coloured product if an alpha or beta (C2 or C3 on LSD) unsubstituted indole is present. This would not distinguish between psilocybin, psilocin, LSD, iso-LSD, LSA, etc. so clearly TLC or another method would be required.

The use of dimethylaminobenzene to determine ergot alkaloid presence dates back to (at least) 1929 and there have been so many modifications of this procedure that I can't find the one that you (JAP) specifically seem to be referring to.

Note that caffeine reacts to DMAB in a fashion similar to LSD.

Also, dimers of ergot alkaloids range in colour from red to blue to black. Partly this depends on substituents at the 2 or 3 position, but clearly this means that a range of coloured byproducts could come out of an LSD synthesis.

I have three references to add later, but I just typed this and lost the post, so I'll add them later.

OfflineAuroricDistortions
~~~~~~~
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Polar Springs
    #6409468 - 12/29/06 11:04 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

On the Owsley note,
He was starting with PURE lysergic acid and PURE diethylamine, so it was a little easier to achieve superior purity.  Also, his attitude towards synthesis DID make a difference, not because he was "a pure soul" or whatever, but because that kind of devotion will drive a person to really perform.  In other words, he put mad efforts into purification, therefore he made better lsd than a money-grabbing imperialist chemist.  I suggest you continue learing and posting about this subject, since you already have a good chunk of knowledge and experience that we (and me!) don't and shroomerites are sponges for liquid knowledge  :grin:.

*I can't find my source for the Owlsey precursor thing, but since he was making LSD when it was still LEGAL, it don't seem to farfetched.  eeeeeeeeee, if LSD was still legal  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

--------------------

Edited by AuroricDistortions (12/29/06 11:14 PM)

InvisibleJAP
Stranger
Re: LSD crystal purity [Re: AuroricDistortions]
    #6409501 - 12/29/06 11:22 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Edited by JAP (01/01/07 05:13 PM)

~~~~~~~
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6409503 - 12/29/06 11:23 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I hope this fragmented info can be of some use:
I remember reading elsewhere of the thin layer chromo + computer scanner to get accurate readings.  Might have been the bee hive or lycaeum, I really can't remember.  But if anyone can verify this method, I'll buy a scanner just to try it (with legal chemicals of course).

--------------------

~~~~~~~
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6409509 - 12/29/06 11:27 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

goddammit i have to work tommorrow! :tongue:

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd_article1.shtml

scrooll for hplc graphs

The lab we communicated with used high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), ultraviolet (UV) absorption measurements, and liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry (LC/MS) to determine what was in the microdot. Using the same methods, the microdot results [Fig. 1] were compared against both the high quality analytical standard [Fig. 2] and the 10-year-old lab sample [Fig. 4].
Testing Methods
The most useful of the tests performed was HPLC followed by UV absorption.

erowid.org lsd vault

**Only those labs or individuals who are licensed by the DEA are allowed to handle Schedule I substances such as LSD.
In 1972, the BNDD (The Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs) requested that labs collect names and addresses for anyone submitting controlled substances for testing. Then in 1974, the DEA issued firm guidelines that required licensed laboratories to stop providing quantitative results for anonymously submitted samples of scheduled substances. Now, unless a person is willing to walk in to a lab, give their name, show identification (which would be recorded in the lab's records), and then submit the sample (thereby volunteering proof of having committed a crime), labs are not permitted to provide information about how much of any chemical is present in the sample. Not surprisingly, most lawyers would advise against such an action. (shitty)

Edited by AuroricDistortions (12/29/06 11:34 PM)

OfflineChemiker
Stranger
Male
    #6409523 - 12/29/06 11:39 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

AuroricDistortions said:
On the Owsley note,
He was starting with PURE lysergic acid and PURE diethylamine

I would assume that most people involved in LSD manufacture, either legal or illegal, would try using pure lysergic acid and pure diethylamine.

so it was a little easier to achieve superior purity.

That presumes that others don't use pure lysergic acid or pure diethylamine. How can you justify this implication?

Also, his attitude towards synthesis DID make a difference

Evidence of this?

but because that kind of devotion will drive a person to really perform.

I think it's safe to assume that a lot of chemists involved in legal or illegal LSD manufacture are concerned with the purity of the product. Still, even if you aren't especially concerned with purity, that does not neccessarily mean that your product will be any less pure (if a procedure is relatively simple, then taking extra care isn't likely to improve the purity). Also, even if his product was a little more or even a lot more pure than other illicit LSD samples, we still haven't established than any of the impurities will have any effect. Basically, if impurities have no effect, then impure samples should feel "just as clean" as absolutely samples.

In other words, he put mad efforts into purification, therefore he made better lsd than a money-grabbing imperialist chemist.

I don't think that follows.

In industry, if LSD is to be produced for research purposes, then the organization involved in manufacture has a vested interest in distributing a pure product. Further, some chemists involved in illicit LSD manufacture have spiritual views of the drug and thus would be likely to be concerned with purity. Some people are just the types who take pride in their work, even if they have no specific interest in LSD and only want money.

I suggest you continue learing and posting about this subject

I am trying to learn more, however it's hard with a lot of the important information missing. I mean, some people will adamantly say that "I can tell fluff from amber" or something along those lines and when I can't find any credible evidence to back that up, I ask them to back up, but it doesn't always work.

Edited by Chemiker (12/30/06 12:12 AM)

OfflineChemiker
Stranger
Male
    #6409574 - 12/30/06 12:00 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

JAP said:
Keep looking 'em up Chemiker....

BTW, what I said about caffeine responding to DMAB in a similar way as ergot alkaloids was a misreading. The article says that caffeine has similar fluorescence to LSD under UV.

This paper, states that UV spectrometry can't distinguish derivatives of lysergic acid and isolysergic acid (which is to be expected).
Bailey, K., Verner, D., and Legault, D., J .Assoc. Off.A nal. Chem., 1973, 56, 88.

Now, I realize that you're talking about a method using LSD degradation, but a review article I found doesn't mention such a technique and I don't seem to have come across it elsewhere. I'll just have to wait until my library link is back up.

I don't see much point in reporting the numbers of papers using various techniques. The sample size will be biased by my personal searching techniques and by the fact that it is mostly more recent articles that are available to me online. More recent articles tend to be interested in developing automated procedures for confirmind illicit drugs using modern equipment, so most of the ones I see recently are GC/MS based.

Journal of Chromatography A
Volume 41 , 1964, Pages 491-493

Identification of LSD and other indole alkaloids by ultraviolet degradation products
Donald L. Andersen

My library link is down for now. Does this paper answer my questions?

Can the test distinguish LSD from other lysergic acid derivatives? Is the test quantitative? What are the limits on quantitation?

What method is the best is going to depend on what we want to know. I'm curious to whether or not the method you're suggesting can distinguish between the possible derivatives that would be impurites, or does it only distinguish some derivatives from other derivatives?

In 1979, a paper came out showing how mass spec. could unambiguously differentiate between LSD and other ergot alkaloids.

Also interesting to note: DMAB will allow for easy confirmation of an indole compound down to 1 microgram. As I pointed, it is dimerization that produces these coloured dimers. Thus, we know that even 1 microgram of dimer is easily visible (as a purple, blue or black substance). An improved method, using DMAB could detect LSD down to 10 nanograms (1/100th of a microgram). So, it should not be disputable at a highly coloured crystal (or ppt) of (mostly) LSD could be coloured.

OfflineChemiker
Stranger
Male
    #6409587 - 12/30/06 12:07 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Unfortunately, UV absorbance won't distinguish LSD from other lysergic acid derivatives (unless those derivatives have addition pi bonds). This method requires HPLC in conjunction. Fortunately, HPLC are not exactly hard to come by and not particularly expensive. Unfortunately, they are boring to use.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale