Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineradiometer
Stranger
Time until spores drop?
    #5277409 - 02/08/06 12:44 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

SWIM is doing his first grow, with a Homestead kit. The instructions state that it is important to not let the mushrooms drop their spores, as it will lower the number of mushrooms the kit may produce. SWIM is very new at this, and thinks he is picking his mushrooms a little bit too early.

How long does it typically take for cubensis mushrooms to drop their spores once the veil has ripped? I'm guessing that there are variables, such as strain, RH, etc. ? Unfortunately I do not know which strain the mushrooms are - they originate from Thailand, and they produce coneshaped caps, some of which become rounder after the veil has ripped, if that helps at all.

I appreciate any replies, and especially the fact that this forum is so welcoming to newbie questions!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFungusMan
I81U812
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Everywhere
Re: Time until spores drop? [Re: radiometer]
    #5277416 - 02/08/06 12:45 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

As soon as the veil tears. You might not see it physically at that point, but its happening.

Invisiblemusher_420
Stranger

Re: Time until spores drop? [Re: FungusMan]
    #5277702 - 02/08/06 01:46 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Allowing the mushrooms to release spores makes more of a mess then anything. A few dropped onto the casing wont make a huge difference in the number of mushrooms the kit produces.

HOWEVER collecting those spores WILL...something along the lines of INFINITELY MORE!!.....

Learn to take prints.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5178328#Post5178328

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5276177#Post5276177

--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

Offlinethenewguy05
The Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Loc: My Underground Layer
Re: Time until spores drop? [Re: musher_420]
    #5277749 - 02/08/06 02:04 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

as the veil tears it is mature to drop spores. spores on a casing or "kit" will only hinder growth not stop it. just catch them as the veil breaks unless you are taking prints.

Offlineradiometer
Stranger
    #5277785 - 02/08/06 02:20 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

musher_420 said:
Allowing the mushrooms to release spores makes more of a mess then anything.  A few dropped onto the casing wont make a huge difference in the number of mushrooms the kit produces. 

HOWEVER collecting those spores WILL...something along the lines of INFINITELY MORE!!

Thanks much for the replies.  SWIM plans on taking prints from these and using one of the common techniques for future grows.  For a 1st timer, this kit had two advantages - it's "idiot-proof" and the source will ship to any state.  SWIM will probably not get a ton of fruits from this grow, but enough to make him smile and to provide spores for the future.

Is there anything that can be done to improve yield at this point?  The main problem, as I see it, is that the kit does not use a casing, so the fruits are all growing at different levels of maturity - not so much a "flush", more like several fruits maturing each day.  If one removed all the growing fruits at once, regardless of their maturity, would the next flush be more even?

The more I read on this site the more clueless I feel!  :smile:  Well, there's only one way to learn, eh?

Edited by radiometer (02/08/06 02:20 PM)

Invisiblemusher_420
Stranger

Re: Time until spores drop? [Re: radiometer]
    #5277822 - 02/08/06 02:29 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I think removing all the fruits at once does benefit the next flush.

What is the set up like. A tub basically?

You can dunk the substrate after harvesting a flush. That will help the next one. If it's inside a tub you can just fill it with water and let the mycelium float on top over night. Drain off ALL the water...make sure you get it all. It works pretty well.

For the most part tho. Yeild comes from the size and quality of substrate used.

--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

Edited by musher_420 (02/08/06 02:31 PM)

Offlineradiometer
Stranger
    #5278558 - 02/08/06 05:54 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, it's a single covered tub, with some holes in the lid for gas exchange. There's a roughly 1 pint rye bag which gets planted into about 5 pounds of manure, with no casing. Thanks for the suggestions, I think SWIM will try that.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale