Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Foo Man's WBS Method * 25
    #5265629 - 02/05/06 10:10 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Edit: Updated version in my journal- CLICK HERE

OK, first off, this method that I am about to explain isn't anything new or revolutionary. This is just the way I prepare my WBS prior to PC'ing. It is basically just steeping your WBS, which is soaking it at near-boiling temperatures. This hydrates the WBS in a fraction of the time it takes for 12,24,48 hour soaks.

Before you start, get your quart jar lids set up with your inoculation holes, Tyvek, polyfil, micropore, SFDs, etc. I'm not getting into detail on that because there are a bunch different ways that you can set up your lids.

The first thing I do is take my quart jars and fill them a little less than half way with my dry WBS:

You want to do this for however many jars you'll be preparing. The WBS I'm using here is Pennington's Brand Finch Seed. This will work with just about ANY brand of WBS.

The next step is to get a pot of water boiling on the stove. You want it at a full rolling boil:

Once it's at a rolling boil, turn off the stove and move the pot to another burner. Then take your quart jars of dry WBS and pour them into the just boiled water:

The reason for moving the pot to another burner is that the one you used to boil the water on is still very hot and I find that I get more bursted grains if I don't do this. With a gas stove you probably wouldn't bother with this step. I am also using a small pot filled only about half way with water. You will need a pot big enough to hold your WBS and water. Remember, the water will rise when you add the seed in! :blush:

Then put the lid on the pot:

The lid should be tight fitting because you want the steam to be held inside as well as possible.

Now you just wait for about 30-60 minutes. You can let it go longer, even all day. The good thing here is that you can leave your house if you want because you're not leaving the stove on or having to keep an eye on the pot for any reason.

Then open the pot:

Pour the pot out into a strainer:

Then rinse the seeds well:

After rinsing, you want the excess water to drain. I myself don't wait a half hour or anything for this step, I just shake the the strainer like a chef does on the cooking shows until I don't see more than a drop or two of water.

Once this is done, load up the jars:

The seeds will have expanded now, so just divide them evenly into however many jars you used. Some brands of WBS may expand more then others depending on the types of seeds used. As you see here, what was once a little less then half full is now a little over half full:

Once they're filled, cap the jars and put foil, coffee filters or whatever else you use to stop water from dripping on your lids and place them in the PC.

I cook the jars for about an hour @ 15-20psi. If your PC maxes out at 15psi cook them for 90 minutes:

Once the time is up, I turn off the stove and leave the PC overnight or until all it cools completely. It's best if you don't open the PC to remove your jars until your work area is ready- SAB/ flow hood and transfer the jars directly into the work area from the PC.

The finished result:

My jars prepared like this always seem to have the perfect moisture content.

So, does it work Foo?

This is 7 days after 3cc multispore inoculation. (Puerto Rican strain).

Edited to add pics of the actual grow, which was a mini doubletub with uncased coir:

Pinning:

Ready to go:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebrianjamez
technofool
 User Gallery

Loc: Luna
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: FooMan] * 1
    #5265642 - 02/05/06 10:14 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Do you tighten the lid on your jars completely before you pc, or after?

--------------------
~plop~

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: brianjamez] * 1
    #5265648 - 02/05/06 10:16 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

You tighten the lids beforehand. Remember, you should have filtered holes with polyfil, Tyvek, micropore, etc that allow steam to escape through the lid.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinebrianjamez
technofool
 User Gallery

Loc: Luna
    #5265666 - 02/05/06 10:24 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I've heard it both ways now. Don't mean to jack your thread but I'm getting back into studying after a hiatus and I've had ridiculous over-moisture promblems with rye where I used to have zero. I'm fuckin up on some step and I haven't been able to zero in on the problem at all. I'm going to try wbs and try again, and again, and again...!!!!

--------------------
~plop~

InvisiblePremedman1
Assistant to the insistent
 User Gallery

Loc: South of Sanity
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: brianjamez] * 3
    #5265879 - 02/05/06 11:52 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Sweet Foo. If they can't follow this toilet-flush simple tek, they need to find a different hobby. :cool::thumbup:

--------------------
Build a man a fire, he is warm for the night. Set a man on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life.

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: Premedman1] * 1
    #5266057 - 02/05/06 12:36 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

working with grains is easier then most people think. Your mehtod is great, i prefer the 1/2 hr simmer 1/2 hr drain 1 hr 1/2 PC method meself. Hasn't failed me yet, even my last batch which i kinda fucked up on (not enough water in the pot) turned out just great. Full colonization in 11 days from MS innoc.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Invisiblemusher_420
Stranger

Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: coda] * 2
    #5266115 - 02/05/06 12:49 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I've heard of alot of people skipping the 24h soak with success lately.

I'm definitely gonna try this. I hate starting a batch of WBS soaking and then the next day I'm to busy to be around for the drain and PC or something. I generally end up staying up really late in order to get the PC'ing done. Which is dangerous because I have fallen asleep a few times before while PC'ing. Lucky to have always waken up on time...before the PC was dry or had exploded.

--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: Premedman1] * 1
    #5266391 - 02/05/06 01:52 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Premedman1 said:
Sweet Foo. If they can't follow this toilet-flush simple tek, they need to find a different hobby. :cool::thumbup:

Thanks man! Yeah, this is as easy as it gets for WBS. Alright guys, time to get some food for the game! :peace:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineDoctor
Strangled
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5268095 - 02/05/06 11:49 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Nicely written FooManShroom. It's a lot simpler method than i use thanks for sharing.

OfflineDrone
Derka Derka Derka
Male

Loc: Maryland
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: Doctor] * 1
    #5268971 - 02/06/06 10:41 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

i might try this. but im wondering about skipping the 24hour soak for endospore germination...

--------------------

InvisibleOmnicracker
Crusted Trolltivator

Loc: Wal-Merica
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: Drone] * 1
    #5269107 - 02/06/06 11:30 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Drone said:
i might try this. but im wondering about skipping the 24hour soak for endospore germination...

from my understanding: that is mainlyu a concern when using rye, not WBS. i guess rye has a much higher endospore count. just by looking at them, you can see why it would be hard to any contam to get into some millet or milo, as opposed to the shape and texture of rye.

--------------------

xxx..Learn Something..xxx

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: Drone] * 2
    #5269139 - 02/06/06 11:39 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I've never had a problem with contams doing this, but some people seem to be contam-prone :smirk:

Do a small test batch. If you have contams, you want to up your PC times. Rye doesn't even have to be soaked, or even simmered if you follow the "simple minds" tek of just putting the rye and water together in your jars and PC'ing.

PC times can vary by your elevation too. I'm at sea level, so my PC times will be less then someone in Denver. Trial and error is the best way to learn IME.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinefungiamongi2
pharmer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5269170 - 02/06/06 11:50 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

so i take it you just leave the sunflower seeds in

--------------------
gonna bring her a kiss, make those blues run

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: fungiamongi2] * 1
    #5269211 - 02/06/06 12:03 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Well the Pennington's Finch Seed doesn't have sunflower seeds, just sunflower "chips". The black seeds that you see in the pics are actually thistle seed.

With regular WBS, most of the sunflower seeds will float to the top during the soak. When I go to pour the pot into the strainer, I'll pour the floaters off to the side, then pour the rest of the seed into the strainer. Other than that, I don't remove the sunflower seeds and they have never been a problem for me. You can take them out if you'd like. It seems to be more preference then neccessity IMO.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinediablovt1125
Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5269292 - 02/06/06 12:32 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I like this very much, I think Ill give it a shot with some extra seed I've got lying around.  Good work FooManShroom  :thumbup:

--------------------
Know yourself, know your substance, and know your source

OfflineDrone
Derka Derka Derka
Male

Loc: Maryland
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: diablovt1125] * 1
    #5269319 - 02/06/06 12:40 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

i think im gonna pick up some finch seed today, thats one thing ill be getting out of this write-up. Last time i used wallmart bird ration and i didnt like it that much. I still havnt decided if im going with this or agar's soak method.

LC is almost ready. gotta decide :smile:

--------------------

OfflineHUBSonDUBS
Male User Gallery

#5269330 - 02/06/06 12:43 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

so your saying you shouldn't even soak the seeds for 12-15hrs just throw them in the bowling water from the seed bag to the water, am i right?

--------------------

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #5269345 - 02/06/06 12:48 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Drone said:
i think im gonna pick up some finch seed today, thats one thing ill be getting out of this write-up. Last time i used wallmart bird ration and i didnt like it that much. I still havnt decided if im going with this or agar's soak method.

LC is almost ready. gotta decide :smile:

I like the finch seed because it's got all the good stuff in it including thistle seed, which is one of the seeds used in SpawnMate that increases flushes because of the time the myc takes to penetrate the seed. As far as which tek to use, I'm a little biased :smirk:, but Agar's tek, along with all of the other great ideas he posts, will definitely work too. I just like the quickness and ease of this method. I ain't got time to wait for soaking! :grin:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: HUBSonDUBS] * 1
    #5269359 - 02/06/06 12:53 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

HUBSonDUBS said:
so your saying you shouldn't even soak the seeds for 12-15hrs just throw them in the bowling water from the seed bag to the water, am i right?

:yesnod:

The seed absorbs water quickly because of the heat and steam. Soaking does saturate the seeds, but I think most people do it because of endospore concerns. Like Coda said earlier, you can just simmer for a half hour with the stove on. I do this because I don't want to have to worry about the stove. It's all too easy to get distracted and forget about the stove being on.

Edit: well, don't just throw the seed in straight from the bag. :smirk: Measure it out like I did, so you aren't wasting seeds.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Edited by FooMan (12/13/07 02:45 AM)

InvisibleAndroctonus
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: L.I.S.
    #5271340 - 02/06/06 08:56 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Does anyone have a link to Agar's WBS tech. I just can't seem to find it. Thanks.

--------------------
The red grass, up to my knees
An aura comes towards me

Someone's changed the formula
Un-chaining another law

The structures, the colors
Uniform chaos is alternating

The nature of things

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds