Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBigPete1999
GardenerExtraordinaire
 User Gallery
Pete's Colloidal Silver experiment has begun.
    #5242084 - 01/30/06 01:19 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

So the Colloidal Silver experiment has officially begun. I will be doing a number of tests, these include
#1 Making a spore syringe using colloidal silver as the medium
#2 Making a PF Cake using colloidal silver instead of water for moisture
#3 Making a Liquid Culture using the colloidal silver spores
#4 Welling into the cake with colloidal silver to keep moisture high
#5 See if any mushrooms grown have any added or loss of potency from using the silver.

I decided to do a PF cake because it is a lot smaller to waste in case the spores don't survive. No sense in making a casing if it doesn't work.
I'll take pictures along the way. There is no sense in taking a pic of the syringe or making the cake as colloidal silver looks like plain everyday water. But once I get any myc growth in both the cake and the LC, I'll keep a picture log for here. As well as the subsequent mushroom growth.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBigPete1999
GardenerExtraordinaire
 User Gallery
Re: Pete's Colloidal Silver experiment has begun. [Re: BigPete1999]
    #5242093 - 01/30/06 01:20 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Ohh, I forgot, I'll be using Creepers as the strain. It will be probably a BRF/Verm cake... I'm at work right now, but I'll will do it as soon as I get home.

OfflineDocPsilocybin
enthusiast

#5242578 - 01/30/06 03:29 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Whoa hold up. I suggest first off that you post a link or description of colloidal silver. But after a quick googling (I'm behind the times I guess) I found an article about it.

"Long-term use of silver preparations can lead to argyria, a condition in which silver salts deposit in the skin, eyes, and internal organs, and the skin turns ashen-gray"
Are you SURE you want to be eating mushrooms soaked in this stuff?

And last but not least their own advertisment states, "Can kill all disease-causing bacteria, fungi and virus within six minutes of contact."

Why would you want to kill your fungus!

--------------------
You can't hold a man down without staying down with him.
-- Booker T. Washington

Offlinecurenado
73rd Man
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Central Arkansas
Re: Pete's Colloidal Silver experiment has begun. [Re: DocPsilocybin]
    #5242794 - 01/30/06 04:37 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I am very interested in this experiment and look forward to your results. We use C> Silver extensively and because we use medical grade silver and make it properly, there are no ill effects...
There was another guy on here hyping the argyria thing, but he couldn't really (or rightly) back it up as it is an old wives tale that comes from using cheap metals and bad preparation. He claimed to be a "Bio Scientist working on cures for cancer!" (yeah, and I'm a nun!) and when his BS was called he resorted to using a puppet and yeah - typical shroomery boob!
Yes! If you get good results it will be VERY exciting!
Best Wishes!

--------------------
Yours in the Natural State!
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep; but I have patches to keep, and jars to sterilize before I sleep...."

OfflineDocPsilocybin
enthusiast

Re: Pete's Colloidal Silver experiment has begun. [Re: curenado]
    #5243370 - 01/30/06 06:32 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argyria

You think this is a wives tale?

What exactly do you expect to gain from using collodial silver? Less contamination? I don't see any benefits and I think there's a strong possibility it'll just kill your fungi if it lives up to it's reputation as an anti-fungicide.

What benefits of using silver can there be?

--------------------
-- Booker T. Washington

Edited by DocPsilocybin (01/30/06 06:44 PM)

Offlinecurenado
73rd Man
Male User Gallery

#5243473 - 01/30/06 06:51 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I'm not talking about cheap silver/metal mixes and MIS-use.
All cases of Argyria (Which are all old as it really doesn't happen anymore - people are smarter...) boil down to chinsy preprarers and abuse by users - right silver used right is harmless....
As for half-asses and people who intentionally abuse a thing - who can bother about that?
Millions of users with no argyria can't be wrong....1 or 2 less fortunate folks, well ok, what other thing can you offer besides water that actually has the REAL safety rates of CS? That's what I mean about wive's tales - they are usually not the real or whole truth....
And the real moral of the story is
1) Don't deal with chinsy or half-assed people and
2) Follow directions and abuse nothing to your own harm!
That's pretty simple common sense!
...And the benefit (if it works) is virtually contaminant free growing. I have more concern for the environment if it works than worry for people eating the mushrooms! There wouldn't be any problem with that at all.
You take a small problem among charlatans and abusers and make it seem like that is the reality when it's not. But real sensational sounding though!
And the guy is just doing an experiment to see - try to keep your hair on until we know about this and then you can be president of the alarmist group who doesn't like it -
I really want to know if it will kill psybe and other beneficial fungi, because I already know it kills fungi we don't want but that does not necessarily mean it will kill others...
I am sitting next to a 10 year colloidial silver drinker right this second, and there ain't a blue thing on her (or any of us either)
It has saved fruit trees, birds, dogs, cats and humans for us....it really is good stuff made and used RIGHT.
:psychsplit:
Wilma (next to me) just said "Gawd! If it was bad for you I'd be dead!"

I can add this if it is any comfort....In emergency cases of gangerous infections, canine parvovirus and limb threatening bacterial infections from deep wounds in ANIMALS, I have used concentrations and doses that were extremely high (50 times the highest human dose I have used?) and niether their eyes nor arses turned a bit blue, BUT consider that these also had physician and student/intern continuous care and fluid support, which I believe to be a contributing risk factor in potential argyria - dehydration, even at the regular level most people walk around with. ALL caregivers use Extra Fluids wherever they use silver - even if it's just in burn cream for topical application.
Whew! Ok - lecture over - sorry to go on.... :smile:

--------------------
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep; but I have patches to keep, and jars to sterilize before I sleep...."

Edited by curenado (01/30/06 07:02 PM)

OfflineBigPete1999
GardenerExtraordinaire
 User Gallery
    #5243565 - 01/30/06 07:09 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Doc, we have already had this discussion here. Colloidal silver poses ZERO risk of silver poisoning, argyria or anything of the nature. In face, I can almost be that somewhere in the webpage that you got that info from, it states that it has zero bearing on colloidal silver. The biggest silver poisoning site has a HUGE banner at the top that states that the facts have nothing to do with colloidal silver because colloidal silver doesn't cause those problmes.
yes, I know it kills viruses, bacteria, mold, fungus etc... thats why I want to try it. If it doesn't kill fungus in the spore stage, what about the mycilium stage, if not, what about fruiting etc....
Because if it does indeed kill viruses, bacteria etc, then it may lead to the elimination of contamination.
Ok, now also, keep in mind that I will be doing this stuff fairly UN-Sterile.... I mean, what good would this project be if I did it in a sterile invironment. I just made a syringe, pretty much in a clean environment, but nowhere near sterile. And I just injected the honeywater for a LC.
If it does what it claims, then the LC SHOULD produce mycilium that is contam free, even though I did little to keep anything sterile. And the same will be said about the cake.

OfflineBigPete1999
GardenerExtraordinaire
 User Gallery
    #5243594 - 01/30/06 07:15 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

ohh yeah, and you did mention it curenado, but it is used extensivly in burn cream. And I'm not talking about just going to your local pharmacy and buying a tube of cream, I'm talking in ER rooms and hospitals where you get 3rd degree burn victims and life threatening burn victims. They lather them up in colloidal silver burn cream...... if it caused argyria or anything negative, trust me, they wouldn't use it, let alone pretty much dunk people in the stuff.

OfflineDocPsilocybin
enthusiast

#5243688 - 01/30/06 07:32 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Well, good luck.

If it's reported as a fungicide I don't see why you'd put it anywhere near your mycelium though. Spores might survive but mycelium will definitely die.

--------------------
-- Booker T. Washington

Offlinecurenado
73rd Man
Male User Gallery

#5243713 - 01/30/06 07:37 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I have to submit that it kills the fungus/blight out of peach trees in 36 hours just from watering heavily with it - you can see a difference in 24 hours.
I know it is really hard on some fungi - I can't say about spores.
I'm still interested. Stranger things have become laws of science before....
:smile:

--------------------

OfflineBigPete1999
GardenerExtraordinaire
 User Gallery
    #5244558 - 01/30/06 10:37 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

thats why we experiment... I think I've remembered reading that it kills simple 1 cell fungus.. not sure what the hell our favorite fungus is, but hopefully it makes it through. Like I've said in other posts in other parts of here, if nobody experimented, nobody would be growing, we'd all just think you had to randomly find these guys growing in the wild.

Offlinegourmetgrower
I'ze the milkmanwhat knocked upyer maw

Loc: The Old West
    #5244747 - 01/30/06 11:16 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Do you know if you have true colloidal silver (microscopic suspended particles) or ionic silver (from electrolysis)?

I have heard that both are sanitizers, but they have different properties.

Making colloidal silver is complicated and requires $expensive$ machines.

Making ionic silver is as simple as connecting a low voltage DC power source (such as 1 or more 9v batteries, or a large flashlight battery) to silver wires, preferably at least 99.999% pure. These wires are reasonably cheap. Insert the + and - wires (don't let them touch) into some distilled water. If you don't see an ion flow, add a pinch of sea salt.

--------------------
Howdy, boys! Let's get down to business. I got my colt and my schofield, and they's jist itchin to be broken in.

OfflineBigPete1999
GardenerExtraordinaire
 User Gallery
Re: Pete's Colloidal Silver experiment has begun. [Re: gourmetgrower]
    #5244914 - 01/31/06 12:06 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

It is actually true colloidal silver. yes, the machine to make it was quite expensive (not my machine naturally)

OfflineBigPete1999
GardenerExtraordinaire
 User Gallery
    #5258685 - 02/03/06 10:16 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Well, I've been sick the last few days, so I haven't been keeping up with my experiment, just kinda letting nature take it's course. Well, today I looked at my LC and low and behold, I see some mycilium growing. I'm using pure honey that my friends dad makes, so it has a bit of grain in it, so you have the myc on the bottom with the grain from the honey kinda shoved aside. I'll post a pic of it later today, probably evening time. Now, I see no contams, which is good because I did everything in not exactly sterile conditions... (i.e.; I used a used needle without cleaning it, got the spores in a non-clean way etc...), so seeing zero contam is amazing. now, some of it could be the honey, but I'm thinking that it's gotta be the silver working against the contams.

OfflineLynxRufus
Stranger
    #5258780 - 02/03/06 10:52 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Are you saying you are using 100% honey? Like, you have a jar that is only containing honey and spore solution? Why would there be grains in honey, regardless of who made it? If your running an experiment to see if you can grow off silver solution why did you use nonsterile techniques for the first run? Also, if the silver does what your saying it might do, wouldn't it have been better to try LC first, in case it prevents the spores from doing their thing?

Not to be critical, but I'm fairly confused from your last post.

OfflineBigPete1999
GardenerExtraordinaire
 User Gallery
Re: Pete's Colloidal Silver experiment has begun. [Re: LynxRufus]
    #5258807 - 02/03/06 11:02 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

well, I'm using pure honey from my friends dads beehive, I have it in water naturally for the medium. But it is still grainy, it isn't pasteurized honey or whatever, it is 100% raw honey, so yes, it does have grain in it. Anyways, the reason I'm doing it in not so sterile environments is because colloidal silver is suppose to kill bacteria and viruses etc... Well, if I did it in a sterile environment, why would I even bother to use the colloidal silver? The only way to see if it really works is to put it's claims to the test. It'd be like driving those damn aquatred tires, you know the ones, they are suppose to sheeth away the water so you grip the road better... well, it'd be like testing the effectiveness of those tires on a dry road... You gotta push the stuff to the limits, hense if colloidal silvers benefit is that it will kill bacteria and viruses, then why not put it to the test by doing things in a clean, but nowhere near sterile environment, that way if you didn't use the silver, there would be a 100% chance of contamination, but now that you are using the silver, if it doesn't contam, then you know that it worked... it COULD be the end of contams as we know it. I have mycilium growth, so hurdle #1 is crossed. Again, tonight I'll post pics.

OfflineLynxRufus
Stranger
Re: Pete's Colloidal Silver experiment has begun. [Re: BigPete1999] * 1
    #5258952 - 02/03/06 11:50 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I guess my issue was that you are taking an "all or nothing" approach. So failure would be just that: failure. It won't tell you anything about your experiment, because your not accounting for all of the variables (or as many as you can easily account for). For example, if it doesn't work, was it because a type of contamination was present that silver DOESN'T kill? Did you use too much or too little to have an effect at all? Is this growth replicable, or even mycelium?

Are there control jars you would expect to grow normally (in case spores are, for whatever reason, no good)? . You also need control jars without the silver to account for the chance it has no effect (stating there would be a 100% chance that a jar w/out silver would contam is an empirical claim and needs to be backed up).

If nothing grew in a sterile environment you would at least be able to narrow it down and potentially start again. Or try something different.

It just seems to me that the very first question you need to answer is whether or not spores will germinate in a silver solution. If they do not, would already growing mycelia grow in a silver solution (like if you injected a silver solution into an already growing LC)? After you know those answers, the next logical step would be to introduce contaminates or non-sterile procedures.

Please don't get me wrong, however, as this is still a cool experiment. I am NOT dissing your work. I am just offering pointers on what, in my opinion, would need to be done before any claims can be made for or against silver's use.

I guess I am/was confused by your term "grain". At first I was thinking of pieces of corn, wheat, rye, whatever floating in your honey. You are probably referring to pieces of wax and debris, and not actual "grain".... Right?

Lastly, I would also offer that if everything works out, the "fruit of your labor" needs to be tested for actual silver content before consumption. It's well known that mushrooms condense metals from their surroundings into their fruit bodies.

Offlinethenewguy05
The Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Loc: My Underground Layer
    #5259200 - 02/03/06 01:00 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

what are we trying to acheive by this??? sorry I must have missed something.

OfflineBigPete1999
GardenerExtraordinaire
 User Gallery
Re: Pete's Colloidal Silver experiment has begun. [Re: thenewguy05]
    #5259626 - 02/03/06 02:59 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

The reason for this experiment is that colloidal silver is suppose to kill all bacteria and all viruses. So the reason for the experiment was to see if
A) spores will be killed by the colloidal silver
B) will mycilium be killed by the colloidal silver
C) if because of the bacterial/virus killing properties of the colloidal silver, will it mean that it will kill possible contams and still keep the spores/myc alive, thus meaning bye bye to having to worry about contams.
D) will it affect the potency of the mushrooms

If you guys read the entire thread, you will see this stuff mentioned multiple times, as well as in the other colloidal silver thread that was in here, it's probably on page 2 or 3 by this time.
I know nobody is dissing my experiment, but the all or nothing approach is what I'm trying to do just because I figure that if there is any validity to this claim, you might as well see if it will perform under harsh conditions before you spend the time to set up 6-10 different simultanious experiments. I dont have the time or the patience to do that if a basic experiment proves that it wont work. Yes I still have spores from the same batch in both distilled water as well as colloidal silver, that way if this passes this basic test, THEN I can start doing control studies.
I guess the whole purpose for this is to make it easier for people to grow shrooms in non-sterile environments, as well as eliminating the chance of contamination. I mean, just imagine if you could fully colonize and grow shrooms without ever having to buy lysol, bleach, never have to use a pressure cooker again, never having to pasteurize anything ever again etc... think of the time it will save, how much easier it will make growing.... But it must pass the basic test before I try to go further with it. I've grown too much for too long to even give give spores that wont work a remote chance. There is ZERO chance of that happening.

OfflineBigPete1999
GardenerExtraordinaire
 User Gallery
    #5259639 - 02/03/06 03:04 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Ohh, and there will be about as much silver in each mushroom as would be if you drank mineral water. So I'd say it's safe. I'm not even gonna test for silver in it. That would be ridiculous.

OfflineLynxRufus
Stranger
    #5261388 - 02/04/06 12:39 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

You can't show validity, or reliability, either way with your approach. It won't show whether or not it will or will not work. That was what I was trying to say. Any way you cut it, no validity. no reliability. no replicability. not science. It's not a "litmus test" of anything.

And your statement that there would be no more silver in it than mineral water... uhhhhhh, no. You need to think that out and learn about the life cycle and functioning of the fungi before posting such things. Not to be rude here, mind you, but that is just plain silly. And you have to think about the safety of others who may choose to get onboard with your experiment. If that statement were true it would be safe to say that the level of silver in your experiment would be EQUAL TO OR LESS than naturally present in mineral water (see text Mycelium Running by Stamets). And if that was the case then this experiment is moot cause a lot of people use standard mineral water already.

OfflineHoss
Stranger
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #5263210 - 02/04/06 04:19 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I don't understand how you might get the idea that colloidal silver would kill spores/bacteria/virus, yet leave Psilocybe mushroom spores/mycelium alone.

Does colloidal silver kill other molds/fungii?

Take an LC and inject some colloidal silver into it to see if that kills the mycelium.

Take an LC solution with colloidal silver in it that has not been sterilized otherwise, and inject it with a couple CCs of spores.

OfflineBigPete1999
GardenerExtraordinaire
 User Gallery
Re: Pete's Colloidal Silver experiment has begun. [Re: Hoss]
    #5269167 - 02/06/06 11:48 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

A) there is a difference between silver that happens to be in water and colloidal silver. HUGE DIFFERENCE. We're talking 6th grade science level education here. Not to slam you, but just think about what a colloid is... thats as far as you need to think it.
Anyways, there is a reason it's called an experiment. without doing stuff like this, we'd get nowhere.
Ohh, and I'm really busy, sorry for the lack of pictures. my life has next to no free time in it. I'll get them up soon I sWear.

OfflineLynxRufus
Stranger
    #5271484 - 02/06/06 09:38 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Mushrooms have been known to eat holes in aluminum foil, but magic colloids are safe? Is there some property about colloidal particles that I don't know about? Hmmmm..... Gee, I cant seem to remember back to 6th grade. Please explain this phenomena!

It is an experiment and Im not dissing your idea or the fact that your doing this. In fact I congratulate you on it. I was just pointing out probs in your design that you could maybe work on later. Good luck with it, and I hope that, in the future, you can listen to the people who disagree with you as well as you listen to those who tell you your right. (...and you might be surprised at what level of science education some us shroomerites have...)

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #5271542 - 02/06/06 09:51 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

LynxRufus said:
Mushrooms have been known to eat holes in aluminum foil

Uh... that's news to me. You gotta link?

OfflineLynxRufus
Stranger
Re: Pete's Colloidal Silver experiment has begun. [Re: shroomydan]
    #5271690 - 02/06/06 10:21 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I've seen it discussed in more places than this, but can't find / remember. Luckily this was recent and could find it at mycotopia. Read through and look for Rodger Rabbits post.

http://forums.mycotopia.net/showthread.php?t=7108

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: Pete's Colloidal Silver experiment has begun. [Re: shroomydan]
    #5272014 - 02/06/06 11:58 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

You can see the mycelium eating through the aluminum in this pic:

Rahz

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

OfflineLynxRufus
Stranger
Re: Pete's Colloidal Silver experiment has begun. [Re: Rahz]
    #5272585 - 02/07/06 08:43 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I personally agree with Rodger, using those tins may not be healthy and may not be worth the risk to use them. Thanks for that pic Rahz, it's a great example. This topic is really deserving it's own thread in the cult forum so that more people know about it. I will post something.

OfflineSilverwolf
sandtrout
 User Gallery

Loc: Darkover
    #5274077 - 02/07/06 04:31 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

re; my comments on P.5 of JaguarWarrior's thread on the subject.

--------------------
"Odrade read the word silently and then aloud.
"Arafel."
She knew this word.Reverend Mothers of the tyrants time had impressed it into the Bene Gesserit consciousness,tracing it's roots to the most ancient sources.
"Arafel:the cloud darkness at the end of the universe.""

OfflineBigPete1999
GardenerExtraordinaire
 User Gallery
Re: Pete's Colloidal Silver experiment has begun. [Re: Silverwolf]
    #5288308 - 02/11/06 10:39 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Sorry for the delay in posting guys.
Ok, apparently the mycilium stopped growing. Not too much has grown, and it has stopped. This is confusing me. I mean, if the CS allowed it to grow, why is it stopping now? Then I'm thinking that I noticed the growth when I was away and just let it sit for 2-3 days. Once I got back, I started aggitating it to make sure I got even myc growth. I'm thinking that the CS might not have been thoroughly spread out in the LC, thus allowing the myc growth, and once I started aggitating it, it mixed in and spread out and it acted like a really good funguside, thus killing the myc growth...
I guess I'll do a few more tests for all you guys who are wanting control tests etc... I'll do the following (on sunday) if you think of more, let me know.
#1 medium made normal way with normal spores injected
#2 medium made normal way with CS spores injected
#3 medium made with CS instead of water with normal spores injected
#4 medium made with CS instead of water with CS spores injected

if you guys think of more, let me know... congrats Lynx, you got your wish.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pete's Colloidal Silver experiment has begun. [Re: BigPete1999] * 1
    #5294903 - 02/13/06 01:52 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Pete, I'd just like to say thanks for doing these tests. I'd also like to say that I haven't read more stupid questions or pointless discussion in an advanced thread in a long time! Just don't get fed up, if somebody asks you again why you are doing this, just ignore them, they can go away, or take the 30 seconds to read the whole thread!

Anyway, I'm really interested here. I played with colloidal silver a little years ago, which I think I may have mentioned to you in a previous thread. I never really got around to doing anything more than just playing here and there. I also have no idea whether the silver was truly colloidal or if it was made by electrolisis. I had no idea there was a difference.

Anyway, I'd be interested in knowing the concentrations of silver involved. It would be a good idea to keep track of it. If you really used straight colloidal silver for the spore solution, the liquid solution, and to treat all substrates from there up, that seems like it could be a lot of silver that could indeed be concentrated by the mycellium. Say you used a total of 200 mL of CS to produce a few grams of shrooms, IF cubensis is capable of concentrating the silver, eating the shrooms could be equivalent to drinking 200mL of CS at a time. These thoughts should indeed be considered rather than just dismissing them. But aside from that, it may also be helpful to know if the myc could withstand dilute solutions. Like bleach for example. If you dip a cake in 100% bleach, you will no doubt kill it. But dilute the bleach and you have a solution which does no harm to the fungus, which is still an effective sanitizer for contams.

Along these lines, it might be easier to start with the assumption that too much CS is indeed bad and work your way up rather than down. This would be much easier to do on agar if you have it. You could quickly and easily make several dozen agar plates with varrying concentrations of CS which you inoculate with spores or mycellium. In this way you can see at what levels germination, growth, and contamination are affected. (If you don't have/want to get agar, then perhaps even just BRF paste would work here) The many different culture would also help reduce the fluke faiures that happen from time to time. I think it'd be a better use of your time than just an "all or nothing" experiment, but it'd be easier than actually setting up an experiment suitable for academic publication, which is a level of scientific rigor rarely needed outside of academia.

Keep up the work.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineDem_Bones
Strangler
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Pete's Colloidal Silver experiment has begun. [Re: mycofile]
    #5303420 - 02/15/06 02:50 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Sorry but this about the dumbest shit i have seen in some time i guess thats why none of the guys i look to for insite and advice have any thing to say about this patchouli whereing after birth eating crap i only wish i had just skipped it and not read the whole damn thing and at this point i am sure you wish i had too.

1. the only contamnet i ever really see is that small white fungus in jars and thrachoma or what ever the green meany both of these are fungus so how do you think its going to kill one and not the other.
i mean who gets wet spot offton ?

2.drinking sliver is about as dumb as back in the 20s when people had radeum bowls and would drink radeoactive water to kill germs and make you healthly and give you more energy/ , IF there where any benafet to this we all would use it! ( and then you say but the drug companys and rich white guys dont want us to have it bla bla) and i say really well what about in countrys with socalized medicine like canada or china if it worked it could save them huge amounts of money, keep that in mind folks next time you hear about a wounder cure (2nd oldest con in the book)
thay will tell you the drug companys dont want you to have bla bla , but if thay dont use it in a communist country and its a cheaper altrnative its total bull shit.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pete's Colloidal Silver experiment has begun. [Re: Dem_Bones]
    #5303952 - 02/15/06 05:49 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

You're right about one thing, you should have just skipped it.
Dick.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Invisiblenoxy
Dr
 User Gallery

Loc: its more a time, not a pl...
    #5305614 - 02/16/06 06:09 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Cs will alow many organisims to grow
none of which i would allow near a mico lab
the best that will happen is you will experience some replacement reactions that will produce some nasty silver nitrate
and many other silver salts
dont eat the shrooms if any survive, which is doutfull
and dont drink the siver anymore people,
the FDA even wants you to stop doing stupid things by banning the stuf over the counter

OfflineGregHimself
Just a guyobssesed withshroomies.
Male User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Re: Pete's Colloidal Silver experiment has begun. [Re: noxy]
    #5308414 - 02/16/06 07:46 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Youe believe the FDA? They probably kill more people per year then all the murderers in the USA combined.
Keep up with the experiments, i have used CS for many years on everything from sore throats to salves for my animals and i truley believe it works great...answer me this, why would band-aid add silver to their antibiotic band-aid line if it was a bunch of crap?
Viva La CS!

Edit:
P.S. Here is the link to the silver bandages in case you dont believe me! http://www.elastoplast.ca/index.php?p=63&lang=2
Also they use silver to filter urine for astronauts in space.

--------------------
"The key to successful cultivation is to match the skills of the cultivator with the right strain on the proper substrate under ideal environmental conditions."
Paul Stamets
Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms(Third Edition)

Edited by GregHimself (02/16/06 07:49 PM)

OfflineSilverwolf
sandtrout
 User Gallery

Loc: Darkover
Re: Pete's Colloidal Silver experiment has begun. [Re: GregHimself]
    #5308590 - 02/16/06 08:31 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Am I missing something? Why would colloidal silver be a preferable colloid to a multi-mineral colloid (incidentally a multi-mineral colloid created by the same process as the colloidal silver I mentioned earlier is available).
Ah (doh !!) you want an anti-contaminant not a nutrient!!! But I wonder would a multi-mineral colloid serve as a form of anti-contaminant if used as nutrient? Worth considering.

--------------------
"Odrade read the word silently and then aloud.
"Arafel."
She knew this word.Reverend Mothers of the tyrants time had impressed it into the Bene Gesserit consciousness,tracing it's roots to the most ancient sources.
"Arafel:the cloud darkness at the end of the universe.""

Edited by Silverwolf (02/18/06 07:50 AM)

Offlinecurenado
73rd Man
Male User Gallery

Re: Pete's Colloidal Silver experiment has begun. [Re: Silverwolf]
    #5370406 - 03/06/06 10:54 AM (18 years, 26 days ago)

Silver is fine. FDA bad....MANY Dr.s - retard or criminal...word!

--------------------

OfflinePinx
Stranger
    #5399325 - 03/14/06 02:04 PM (18 years, 18 days ago)

Its nice, that someone tries new things, but this is just plain stupid.

How does CS work?
How does our fungus work?

These two questions can be answered through one or maybe two hours of reading.

Offlinecapnstemz
Stranger
Re: Pete's Colloidal Silver experiment has begun. [Re: Pinx]
    #5434989 - 03/23/06 03:51 PM (18 years, 9 days ago)

OMG

Why dont you just water some pins or mushrooms that are growing.
Mushrooms are simply made up of water and COMPRESSED MYCELIUM. If its bad it will kill the pins or the mushrooms.
Just my thoughts.

OfflineHorseBox
Stranger
Re: Pete's Colloidal Silver experiment has begun. [Re: capnstemz]
    #11498721 - 11/21/09 01:04 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I'm bringing this post back from the dead because this warrants further experimentation. I just skimmed through the thread but didn't see the OP post the final results. I started a thread on this I'll post all my experiments there.

OfflineSinoc
Jugglin' fool

Re: Pete's Colloidal Silver experiment has begun. [Re: HorseBox]
    #11502475 - 11/22/09 01:29 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

HorseBox said:
I'm bringing this post back from the dead because this warrants further experimentation. I just skimmed through the thread but didn't see the OP post the final results. I started a thread on this I'll post all my experiments there.

He probably DIED.  Lol.

Offlinejimbotron
Patty-Cake Enthusiast
 User Gallery

Re: Pete's Colloidal Silver experiment has begun. [Re: Sinoc]
    #11503094 - 11/22/09 09:05 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

That or he's working off-Broadway...

--------------------
BEST TEAM IN THE UNIVERSE

Offlinenotch
Stranger
Male

Loc: Under the Sun
Re: Pete's Colloidal Silver experiment has begun. [Re: jimbotron]
    #11514986 - 11/23/09 09:37 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

jimbotron said:
That or he's working off-Broadway...

This was a good one, I spit up my beer LOL

--------------------

Offlinec-ray
lovin' it

Re: Pete's Colloidal Silver experiment has begun. [Re: notch]
    #11687156 - 12/20/09 03:50 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

from the following patent: http://v3.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?DB=EPODOC&adjacent=true&locale=en_EP&FT=D&date=20090115&CC=WO&NR=2009007365A2&KC=A2

and translated with Google Translate

Quote:

Example 1

4.5 g LABS (linear alkylbenzene sulfonates) were dissolved in 95 ml of distilled water and then added to a solution containing 0.32 g of silver nitrate. After careful mixing, 0.2 grams of hydrazine solution (0.03 M) was added to the solution, so a yellow colloidal solution of silver was formed. The UV-Vis spectrum of the reaction solution showed an absorption band at around 415 nm which is the characteristic absorption band of silver nanoparticles. The results of dynamic light of the reaction solution, shown in Figure 2 (A) show that the average particle size is 4.5 nm.

Example 2

The same process as in Example 1 was repeated, except that the 4.5 g LABS have been replaced by 4.5 g SDS (sodium dodecylsulfate). The UV spectrum of the colloidal solution of silver nanoparticles obtained is shown in Figure 1, and the average size of particles was 78.2 nm as shown in Figure 2 (B).

Example 3

Tween 20 (polysorbate 20) was used instead of LABS in Example 1. The UV spectrum of the colloidal solution of silver nanoparticles obtained is shown in Figure 1 and the average size of particles was 32.5 nm as shown in Figure 2 (C). Example 4

The colloidal silver nanoparticles prepared in Examples 1-3 were examined to determine the antimicrobial activity of the colloid.

1. Provide a culture medium of sterile nutrient agar (NA) and spread pure.

2. Provide a microbial suspension of standard strain of bacteria E. coli (ATCC 25 922) to the process of McFarland, that is to say, a concentration of 15 <8> cfu / ml.

3. Provide a microbial suspension of a concentration of 10 5 from the suspension above.

4. Combine 1 / 3 of colloid nanoparticles of silver and 2 / 3 of bacteria provided.

5. Growing mixed product obtained in the previous step the culture medium of nutrient agar. 6. Place the plates in the incubator at 25 [deg.] C for 24 h.

7. After 24 hours, take a handle on these plates and put on a new medium of nutrient agar.

8. After 24 h in the incubator, the plates look as regards the number of bacterial colonies. Results:

No colony or any signs of bacterial growth was observed on the plate in the experimental group.

Offlinec-ray
lovin' it

Re: Pete's Colloidal Silver experiment has begun. [Re: c-ray]
    #11687972 - 12/20/09 06:18 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Edited by c-ray (12/20/09 06:26 PM)

OfflineHumbled
Local Budtender
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Pete's Colloidal Silver experiment has begun. [Re: c-ray]
    #11696762 - 12/22/09 01:33 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Check this stuff out. It's NOT colloidal Silver. It's silver in ionic form. I got a bottle along with Iodine, Nutriodine that is, and they work really well. It's like crack in a bottle. Makes you feel like superman.

Link-http://www.nutrimedical.com/products.jhtml?method=view&product.id=3780

I encourage you guys to try it out. Even the mushroom thing would be an OK experiment. I doubt there would be any ill effects.

The nutriodine is in there, Dr. deagle sends cases to Africa and other 3rd world counties to kill off bad organisms in water straight from nastie rivers and ponds. A few drops makes the water totally drinkable not to mention supplying a necessary nutrient that most people in the USA are severely depleted of.

Check it out, not to advertise or anything, its just a way cool thing.

I may try this on a very small scale, but that Ionic Silver is not cheap at all.

--------------------
_-_--->My Trade List<---_-_

Edited by Humbled (12/22/09 04:27 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale