Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

Re: dictatorial regime in Italy [Re: exclusive58]
    #5221411 - 01/25/06 11:33 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

exclusive58 said:
well, would you say that people regularly engage a political discussion in the US? from my experience, the answer is no.

You either have no experience, you're deaf, or both. Probably both.

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #5221413 - 01/25/06 11:34 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

exclusive58 said:
well, would you say that people regularly engage a political discussion in the US? from my experience, the answer is no.

I engage in probably more than ten political discussions everyday with my friends. From my 20+ years in the U.S., I don't know if I've ever went a day without seeing a discussion of politics. Like Zappa said, debating politics is a sport here.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #5221432 - 01/25/06 11:40 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

exclusive58 said:

Your experience is rather limited. Any reluctance anybody here has to political discussion is either due to ignorance of the topic (which is admirable restraint which should be spread whenever and wherever possible) or a desire not to offend potential clients or friends (a foreign concept to most Europeans, I know, who believe that their raison d'etre is to offend whenever possible). No matter what opinion you express at least half the people will think you're an ass. The unemployed, however, do not give a shit who they piss off.
As to the daring nature of political dissent I only have one question, Can you read a newspaper?

--------------------

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: dictatorial regime in Italy [Re: zappaisgod]
    #5222182 - 01/25/06 03:22 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

im sure he can read FRENCH newspapers man, what makes you think they get it right? do you think that when we read abot france in OUR newspapers that we hear it like they see it? nope let off of him he made a mistake im sure hes realized that by now. and oh yea we all TALK about politics alot, but I'm pretty sure it means absolutely zilch to what our polotics ARE, something tells me its quite the same in france. peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: dictatorial regime in Italy [Re: blaze2]
    #5229924 - 01/27/06 04:47 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

damn, why the hell is everybody so aggressive?

anyways, i've lived six years in the US, and the people i hung around with practically never discussed politics. and i have family members who have gotten in huge fights over political subjects. when i returned to france, i was amazed at how easily people engaged in political or philosophical debates compared to the US, how everyone brought out their different point of views without restraint. but that's just personal experience, no need to be judgemental about it.

i'm probably wrong once again, but usually if one is democrat and the other is republican, the tendency is to avoid any political discussion so as to avoid any potential clash between the two. that's why i said it seemed to be a touchy matter.

this is all off-topic though  :smirk:

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
    #5233850 - 01/28/06 01:32 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I would agree that the majority of Americans are ignorant when it comes to politics, and many choose to avoid it altogether. Just look at how many people are in this forum vs the other ones in the Shroomery, for example.

Sure, Americans have strong opinions when it comes to politics, but most don't know enough to have a serious debate.

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: dictatorial regime in Italy [Re: zappaisgod]
    #5234327 - 01/28/06 06:18 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

So let me get this straight...

You like fascism?

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: dictatorial regime in Italy [Re: Alexander]
    #5234334 - 01/28/06 06:39 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Are you in Italy?

My advice to the people of Europe would be to become a Techno-Anarchists like me.

Or Anarcho-Technologists, whatever.

Point is, your only hope is to eliminate as much government and corporate power as you possibly can, and the only way you can only accomplish that is by becoming super-duper-mega-ultra-independent. The only way to achieve such an amazingly high level of independence is through knowledge and understanding of technology.

All power disseminates from control of technology.

The hippies tried it back in "the day" with limited success. Their problem was that they were almost strictly low tech. They were like "we can grow our own tomatoes, and we can grow our own corn, and we can build our own houses and live off the land." and that worked fairly well for some of them. Their real problem was that they were limited in their independence due to their distaste for non-hippie science. They never thought to say "we can build our own electric razors, we can build our own cars, we can heat our homes from waste heat generated by the industrial processes going on in the basement."
If they had focused more on becoming mad scientists instead of hippie farmers they could have accomplished so much more.

Stop needing them and they will go away.

(army of robots)  :thumbup::yesnod: :thumbup:

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: dictatorial regime in Italy [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #5237665 - 01/29/06 06:46 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

So being an anrcho-technologist means that you're able to build your own computer, your own electric razor, and your own car huh?

I think the hippies' attempt was more realistic, since one person is undoubtly able to grow food and build a shelter for himself. But I'm really not sure about one person being able to build high technology objects for himself though.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5237706 - 01/29/06 07:23 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

The research the hippies did in subsistence collective living is invaluable but by it's nature is limited for the most part to just subsistence, not undermining government and corporate control over individuals.

I mean, they did illuminate some avenues of (partial)escape from "the machine", and a baseplan of how to go about disassembling the machine by reducing cooperation with it, but all of their strategies were passive.

Anarcho-Technology is a strategic attack of chaostic hyperstructure designed to disalmalgamate the anti-conscious, i.e. "Undermine Society".

Being Anarchotechnologist means understanding how all those things work down to the level that if one had the resources, one could make one's own digital watches and electron microscopes.

Much like if you have a seed, and understand how that bit of biotechnology works, and you have the resources to cary out the function of that seed, you can farm.

--------------------

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: dictatorial regime in Italy [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #5237801 - 01/29/06 08:34 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I like the idea, but there's a huge difference between being able to make a seed grow and being able to construct a digital watch. The knowledge and the ressources needed to build such a high tech object are way more important than for growing a plant. And plus, the plant does most of its development on its own.

Anyone could learn how to be self-subsistent food-wise and shelter-wise, but how are you going to be self-subsistent technologically-wise?

OfflineMisterMyco
Myco-fanatic
Male

Re: dictatorial regime in Italy [Re: Rono]
    #5239134 - 01/29/06 04:17 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Rono said:
I would warn you against flaming if I knew what that meant...

Persuant to my recent ban, you must not know what it means.

The term flaming, that is.

--------------------
"I have never, in all my life, not for one moment, been tempted toward religion of any kind. The fact is that I feel no spiritual void. I have my philosophy of life, which does not include any aspect of the supernatural."
Isaac Asimov

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
Re: dictatorial regime in Italy [Re: Alexander]
    #5239272 - 01/29/06 05:18 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

The politicians in Italy have always been shady currupt fucks, this is nothing new. This has been going on for centuries.

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: dictatorial regime in Italy [Re: THE KRAT BARON]
    #5241410 - 01/30/06 08:15 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

there's a huge difference between being able to make a seed grow and being able to construct a digital watch.

Not if you're landless. At that point, both objectives are out of your reach.

Quote:

how are you going to be self-subsistent technologically-wise?

That depends on what you mean by "self-subsistent" Is a farmer truely "self-subsistent" if s/he uses a tractor that s/he bought as opposed to mining iron ore, smelting the metal, refining the metal, mixing alloys, casting forms, machining parts on metalworking equipment (which came from where?) and designing and assembling his/her own tractor?

I tell you what. If s/he could do that, s/he would make one hell of an Anarcho-Technologist.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder