Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMisterMyco
Myco-fanatic
Male

Malting Grains
    #5196982 - 01/18/06 10:07 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

As a bit of a home brew fan and a bit a chemistry buff, I've been reading lots of great books about the brewing process.  One of the first things in the process, and it's rarely undertaken by the brewer, is the malting of the grains.  In this process, grains are submerged in lukewarm water so that they absorb water and start to begin the biochemical process that leads to germination and the formation of the new plant.  This struck me as interesting for the reason thats apparent to all mycologists.  Soaking grain leads to an internal chemical change that produces sugars that are easily digested by microorganisms (yeast, for example, or fungi). 

I do a lot of reading here and I see that people use a method from TMC and simply add a specific amount of water to a specific amount of grain in a jar and steam sterilize.  That method seems to work well for people, but I wonder if malting the grains really does offer some benefit, however insignificant. 

Just an observation, maybe someone with more insight and experience can take this observation and go far with it.  I'll post more if I try anything interesting :wink:

--------------------
"I have never, in all my life, not for one moment, been tempted toward religion of any kind. The fact is that I feel no spiritual void. I have my philosophy of life, which does not include any aspect of the supernatural."
Isaac Asimov

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Malting Grains [Re: MisterMyco]
    #5197611 - 01/19/06 12:49 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Good observation & I agree.

I tend to soak spawn grains as long as possible, for that very reason.

A long time back, I soaked grains about 24/30 hours. Then, something came up & I could not put them to use.

It was winter & I sat the bucket on the back porch, in freezing weather (20/25F).

A few days later, I came back, to find the bucket about 35% frozen.

I thawed it out, rinsed the grains, then loaded filter/patch bags, autoclave them for 100 minutes @ 18 psi.

Those bags colonized significantly faster than any others I had done before. Possible coincidence? I don't know.

But, in winter months, I do just that.

--------------------

OfflineMisterMyco
Myco-fanatic
Male

Re: Malting Grains [Re: agar]
    #5197648 - 01/19/06 01:01 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Well, one piece of advice that I may have...

The books that I'm reading, as I said, barely talk about the malting process. However, it mentions that the water is changed a few times in the 24-36 hour soak so that the bacteria that grow will be flushed away and won't inhibit the proliferation of the enzymes that are doing the work in the grain. I like the 5 gallon bucket you are using. I like using one of the trashcans that looks like a metal sieve (people have illustrated it's useability to pasteurize substrates in other threads) and filling it with seed. Soak in warm water for 6 hours, change the water, repeat for 2 days. Then I rinse the grains off really well to get the starches off of them so that they don't stick together. I'll see if I can get more technical information about what is produced and what happens during the malting process.

--------------------
"I have never, in all my life, not for one moment, been tempted toward religion of any kind. The fact is that I feel no spiritual void. I have my philosophy of life, which does not include any aspect of the supernatural."
Isaac Asimov

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #5197864 - 01/19/06 03:31 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Look up any homebrew site. I have always considered doing this myself. Malted grains can be got in most brew stores. I also wondered if the endospore count would be lower in malted grains. I always heard warnings against adding sugars to grains for contam issues. In TMC they list used distillers grains and they have a high N content.

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Malting Grains [Re: blackout]
    #5197963 - 01/19/06 06:02 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

for some mushrooms i have read of people adding sugar for added nutrition. would not rinsing and keeping the starch on perhaps improve anything?
pretty cool line of though man.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #5199448 - 01/19/06 04:18 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I've never really done it on purpose, but I must say that I've stopped many a person who posted "shit, I forgot about my grains, now they've started to sprout alittle and I have to throw them out."

Many times I've used WBS that has just sprouted, or as agar describes, soaked for a long time without sprouting.

They always work well as long as there isn't too much growth. I can't say I've noticed they work better, but I've never done a head to head comparison.

At worst, you won't ruin your spawn. At best you could do a side by side experiment and discover that malting them improves performance by 15% or something. That'd be cool.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

InvisibleJaeger
Dreamer
Re: Malting Grains [Re: mycofile]
    #5199484 - 01/19/06 04:30 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Well, if the grain goes too far, I think it could result in a mess.
Why not just do a typical soak and introduce some Dry Malt Extract to jars right after final drain, perhaps after put in jars, and shake.

Could accomplish the addition of sugars, beneficial other components of the DME, and there is no risk of popping grains, or doing it incorrectly resulting in a starchy mess.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder