Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Loc: Way Up North
Appalachian Trail Gear
    #5039533 - 12/09/05 01:34 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Here's my updated, list.

Worn
REI Spirit II GTX Hiking Boots
Smartwool socks
NF zip off pants
wicked hiking t-shirt
wind-rain resistant pullover
polypro under wear top and bottom
Leatherman
Fleece hat
fleece gloves

Arc Teryx pack
-100 oz camelbak blatter
2 man tent
-6 titanium pegs
-footprint
Thermarest
20+ down sleeping bag

whisperlite int cook stove
-fuel insert
Fuel bottle(wrapped in duct tape)
titanium 1.2 l cook pot
titanium cup
cook bag
-titanium spoon and fork
-seasoning 2 different kinds
-brown sugar
-tea
Nalgene 32 oz(wrapped in duct tape) {may trade out for a gatorade bottle}
Water filter
-nalgene attachment
-camelbak attachment

Digital Camera
Headlamp

repair kit
-tent patch kit
-thermarest repair kit
-silicon lube
-msr wrench
-msr spare valve
-msr spare o-ring
-needles
-floss
-military duct tape 25 ft
-25 feet of 550 chord

Marmot Precip tops and bottoms
m-65 field jacket liner
poncho liner(blanket)
2 pairs of smartwool socks
2 bandannas

2 water proof sstuff sacks for sleeping bag and dry clothes

hikers companion
trail maps
waterproof journal
space pen

Edited by Adom (02/21/06 10:06 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: Appalachian Trail Gear [Re: Adom]
    #5049675 - 12/11/05 07:53 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Some rope is also useful (for bear bags and such).

You've got some really kick ass gear there. Are you having food and water shipped to you along the trail or what?

A waterproof journal and a pen (or graphite pencil) might be useful too.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Re: Appalachian Trail Gear [Re: dblaney]
    #5050248 - 12/11/05 10:11 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Bear bag, that is something I need to purchase and a length of rope would definitely be a good thing to have. I forgot about a journal but definitely plan on bringing one.
I'm going with one other guy and our parents are going to ship us food along the way. My friend knows alot more of the details than I do, he is a lot more experienced, I feel like I'm in over my head.

We are set to leave in late March maybe early April depends what the weather is doing.

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

#5051160 - 12/12/05 04:17 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I feel like I'm in over my head.

:grin: Hiking the AT is an awesome thing to do. Going for a week is almost overwhelming, I can't even imagine for a month or two to hike the entire thing.

A map/compass/GPS could be useful, and duct tape is always useful. Might want to bring a sleeping bag liner to add a few extra degrees of protection to your bag. Sounds like you've got most of the essentials, but if anything else pops into my mind I'll post it.

And when you guys get to the MD/VA area, be sure to hit up myself and Shroomism.

--------------------

- John Mayer

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

OfflineBooby
Agent Mulder
 User Gallery
    #5051175 - 12/12/05 04:29 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I met a guy who camped near Seattle regularly and was worried about animals getting in his stuff. We figured the smell of oven cleaner (Ammonia?) or moth crystals might keep them away from his tent, & the moth crystals (Naptha?) might be useful to get campfires going in damp weather.

--------------------
Let it not be remembered
That mycelium eats detritus and dies
But that life in all it's glory
Counts mycelium to be on it's side.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Appalachian Trail Gear [Re: Booby]
    #5069190 - 12/15/05 09:32 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

about duct tape: you only realistically will need about 25-30'.. to save space (and multitask).. re-wrap the duct tape around a small pencil or pen. keep it in your first aid/repair kit.

I've never thru-hiked.. but a lot of thru-hikers say they usually end up ditching their packs after about a week and opting for lighter weight ones. 2,000 miles is a long way to walk. With a heavy pack, it gets that much worse.

The number one goal with most thru-hikers is lightening the load as much as possible. The best advice I have heard is to travel as light as possible, but totally prepared. Honestly, that pack and tent combo may be too heavy for the long haul.. have you tried packing everything you'll need into it and carrying it around for an hour or two to get an idea of what you'll be hauling. Don't forget food and water weight.

If you haven't already.. you should check out - http://whiteblaze.net/ and post on the forums there. There is tons of experienced AT thru-hikers that will evaluate your gear setup, give you advice, etc. Not to mention TONS of articles on thru hiking the Appalachian Trail in particular. That's where I learned almost everything I know about the subject.

Most of those guys are weight nuts. But there's some that make some good sense. Like using a gatorade bottle instead of a nalgene.. those things weight like a pound.. compared to an ounce or two of a gatorade bottle. The first things they look at are the weight of the big three.. tent, sleeping bag, pack.. they will tell you that your stuff is way too heavy. They will try to convince you to sell your stove and use an aluminum can alcohol stove. They will also try to convert you to the hammock way of camping.. which isn't a bad thing at all. Basically they will try to get you to go ultralightweight. Take their advice.. but they key is staying within your budget and what is realistic. Some people thru-hike the trail with their MSR backpacking stoves and love them. Some people are diehard alcohol can fans. Some people wont give up their tents for anything. Some people will only sleep in a hammock. Just go with what works best for you.

Basically all the little stuff adds up. But if you are cool with a 50 pound fully-loaded pack, more power to you.. but your back and knees may not like you for it.

--------------------

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
    #5070690 - 12/16/05 09:31 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I do think I'll buy a liner for my bag. (on second thought, my bag should be fine as is) I planned on bringing ductape but I haven't put my repair kit together yet and it will go in there. I planned on taking the tape off the roll and wrapping around something like a pencil as shroomism said and sticking inside a film canister.

My friend has a GPS with a appalachain trail program installed so we should be set as far as maps and compasses, ect.. go.

I have spent a week hiking before and have a few random over night and 3 day hikes under my belt. I've hiked with 65lbs on my back before but wouldn't want to do that more than a couple days straight. I have my set up somewhere around 45lbs with water and food, I won't be able to afford lightening up my load any more. This is what I'll be hiking with.

I have no idea how long I'll hike, we are going as far as we 'd like. I have serious doubts about making the entire thing, if we do great, if we don't it's not going to bother me.

Thanks for the link Shroomism, you have saved me very much time. I have been spending enormous amounts of time digging for this information and this site has it all in one spot.

We've actually set a date now, we are starting on the 26th Of March.

Edited by Adom (12/16/05 01:25 PM)

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #5071400 - 12/16/05 12:50 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah seriously.. if you're preparing for a thru-hike.. there isn't a better place on the net than whiteblaze. There is just so much useful information there. I was dreaming of a thru-hike and spent a good month or two browsing that site and learned all kinds of shit I never even considered.

Of course that was after I bought all my gear, so I kind of regretted buying a massive pack, because I tend to want to stuff it full of all kinds of crap. And no I didn't ditch my water filter for iodine or my stove for an alocohol fueled aluminum can.. or swap out my pack.. I got what I got

Bag Liner - don't buy one. Well.. do if you must. But you know those heavy duty 55 gallon contractor trash bags? Yeah, perfect bag liner. Don't use a normal trash bag since they are really thin and will develop holes in a matter of days. Also, you want a bag cover if you don't already have one. One of the worst things is having wet gear on the trail. Some people have four layers of protection but that may be overkill.. pack cover - water resistant pack - pack liner - stuff sacks

The best thing you can probably do is read the FUCK out of whiteblaze.. absorb as much as possible. Learn from the mistakes of past hikers before you get out there and discover it's not exactly what you thought. The more prepared you are (with knowledge) the better.

--------------------

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Re: Appalachian Trail Gear [Re: Shroomism]
    #5071551 - 12/16/05 01:29 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Been reading for almost 3 hours and learned many valuable things already :thumbup:

I can't thank you enough! We'll have more of a plan than I ever imagined with the drop boxes and what not now. 

I probably won't buy a bag cover, my friend is against them, and has talked me into his method of waterproofing.  I'll use water proof stuff sacks and a heavy duty trash liner for 2 layers of protection.  Maybe I'll change my mind.. I still  have 3 months.

Anyways back to whiteblaze.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #5076168 - 12/17/05 07:06 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Re: Appalachian Trail Gear [Re: Shroomism]
    #5076742 - 12/17/05 10:32 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Whoa, that's a cool site!

--------------------

- John Mayer

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
    #5104303 - 12/25/05 08:03 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Getting down to business.

Edited by Adom (02/03/06 08:47 AM)

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
    #5238076 - 01/29/06 10:28 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Well we just bought our plane tickets from Omaha to Atlanta.

We have place to stay the first night in the city and we have a ride to the trail head on March 30th.

Nearly two months away and I'm already having sleepless nights.

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
    #5241347 - 01/30/06 07:46 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Looks like I'm going to be staring out with Vasque Sundownders on my feet. I was going to go for something lighter but I decided I'll start out with a heavier hiking boot. I have a lightwieght pair of salomons and another pair of Merrels I can trade out if I think I need to go lighter.
I also bought more clothing but I'm still undecided on a jacket.

Mountain Hardwear Super Wicked T
REI sahara pants
Underarmor top and bottom
6 pair of merino hiking socks

My pack wieght is 45lbs with 5 days food and a full supply of water. That's with my repair kit, vitamins, ect. I don't think I'll really be adding much more.

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
    #5242210 - 01/30/06 01:58 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Actually I think I just got it down to 36 lbs.

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

#5242288 - 01/30/06 02:22 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

That's a very reasonable weight. :thumbup:

--------------------

- John Mayer

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
    #5244314 - 01/30/06 09:46 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Now I think I should add a book and music source.... haha

I do need to remember I don't have my map or ATHC in there but those shouldn't wiegh much.

Offlinekindkesey
take it further
 User Gallery

Loc: on the bus!!!
    #5251606 - 02/01/06 03:36 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Awsome adom..... 

And nice gear list, i'm working on updating all me gear too! When i was out in CO i had my pack weighing about 30 pounds for a five day adventure!

I miss you and wish you the best!!

:smile:

--------------------
Stay Kool, and enjoy the bus ride.....

"Intrepid Search For Innerspace"

DAVID JONES where are you?

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Re: Appalachian Trail Gear [Re: kindkesey]
    #5254569 - 02/02/06 10:12 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Nice to see you man!!

I got laid off from work so I've started my training routine. Here are my days so far this week.

2.5 mile jog in the morning
.5 mile cool down
strecth
disc golf 18 holes
lunch
read, online time
disc golf
hike 2 hours straight with pack on
pretty much have my daylight covered.

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

#5256377 - 02/02/06 05:48 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Music would be nice, but unless it's solar or kinetically powered, you'll have to bring batteries, and CDs, and headphones, etc, and that will add a bit of weight.

A book would be nice, but expect it to get wet and crumpled and dirty. I think a waterproof journal would be fine.

And don't forget to bring some alcohol and pot and any other consciousness modifiers as you see fit :thumbup:

--------------------

- John Mayer

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags