Home | Community | Message Board

Sublicious Farms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblemicololo2
Stranger

Loc: Québec, Canada
White Elm Mushroom (hypsizygus ulmarius)
    #4922273 - 11/11/05 03:39 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

I don't know why they call that mushroom the "white" elm?
I grew this mushroom inside and outside. Inside, this mushroom is off white, but outside they were brown, just lighter than shiitake.
They always gaving me more mushrooms inside, the opposite of the shiitake!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery

Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
Re: White Elm Mushroom (hypsizygus ulmarius) [Re: micololo2]
    #4922654 - 11/11/05 05:10 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

what is your method, for indoor?
what spawn, what fruiting substrate?

--------------------
buh

Invisiblemicololo2
Stranger

Re: White Elm Mushroom (hypsizygus ulmarius) [Re: shirley knott]
    #4923456 - 11/11/05 08:50 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

For this mushroom this is my method.A big translucid tub with 2 inches holes every 4 -5 inches. Biggest the tub, bests results. Put 1 inch very cold water in the bottom you change every 2 days during pin formation. Install wet paper towels between the holes. Put the bag in the tub. Where you see substrat want to fruit make windows holes on the bag (beware to not damage this next pinset). Install towels paper soaking in the water passing near the windows. During fruting change water every 6 days. You can install a humidity and thermometer gage in if you want. Put the cover of the tub crossway as the needs. Find a place with indirect day ligth and where there is mouvement of air ex: 6 to 8 feet from an entry or window. By the time you'll find the best place in the house.By the temp. of the water you can trick the temp. sensation for the mycelia. This mushroom can grow at medium cold temp. so I grow them in the basement with open windows (no need to change every 2 days but only 6 days here). If its around 68 - 70 degrees in your appartment and you play with the temp. of the water you'll have a big big chance to get your White Elm. No need for misting. With the big tubs you can put in 2 of 6 pounds block. You can use hardwood sawdust pellets found at the store + wheat bran for fruting substrat. Good luck and enjoy growing mushrooms at home for those who will try it.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery

Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
    #4924978 - 11/12/05 04:20 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

i'll be trying it for sure. this is buna-shimeji, right? i tried this years ago before i knew what i was doing (needless to say it all started out fine then went green).

OK, so i'll make some grainspawn, then inoculate sterile wood/bran in a bag, then wait til it goes white.... (unless you recommend a liquid culture instead as spawn)..... but i didn't understand all your description, so i'm gonna need pictures.

:smile: "2inch hole every 4-5inches" ...... where on the tub? and why - for gas exchange? this is all, no fanning, no piped humid air, just holes in the tub? what about flies and stray spores?

:smile: "Install wet paper towels between the holes..... Install towels paper soaking in the water passing near the windows." ..... this bit i have no idea what you mean. as a filter? and presumably the holes are way up the tub sides, far from the base?

:smile: "Where you see substrat want to fruit make windows holes on the bag (beware to not damage this next pinset)." ..... ok, this time i know what you're talking about, but i want more details. i've done this many times, sometimes with great results and sometimes ruining everything. when, where, using what, how many, and how big? plastic left on for how long?

:thumbup:

--------------------
buh

InvisibleSpeeker

Re: White Elm Mushroom (hypsizygus ulmarius) [Re: shirley knott]
    #4925029 - 11/12/05 05:20 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

shirley knott said:
this is buna-shimeji, right?

nope..  :laugh:

Invisiblemicololo2
Stranger

Re: White Elm Mushroom (hypsizygus ulmarius) [Re: Speeker]
    #4925323 - 11/12/05 11:09 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

No, Buna is a tessulatus, other method. Yes holes on the walls of the tub only, 2 rows. Gas exgange, search for the best place in the house to install your tub, you'll find it.Flies, no garbage in the house who attrack flies. Good screens on entry of air of the house. Little sticky yellow carton, in and out the tub help a lot to catch them. Better, you can make traps with drosophils flies ph?romones (about 3$ can.).No flies after winter, easiest time. I dont realy have flies problems with this spieces. If you could see golden oyster, that's something. I dont know the conditions where you live. I found this method making experiences trough the years in the conditions I meet here. You'll have to use your imagination to adapt it, and that's the trill growing mushrooms at home.
Simple as this, make windows holes at the good places on the substrat bag, wet your towel papers and surround like those windows holes, with both end parts of the paper towel soaking in the water.
This species is relatively easy to grow.
You might looked some results of my methods from the photos in the past posts and my logo.
Good luck and have fun.

OfflineOwl
Stranger
Loc: Netherlands
    #4945140 - 11/17/05 04:19 AM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Micololo your methods sound simple and brilliant. Do I understand correctly that the paper towels provide enough relative humidity and therefore misting or other humidification is not needed? I am definitely going to try this and put some ice in the soaking water for cold shocking and initiating pin set.

I have one question, do the holes in the tub provide enough air exchange or do you occasionally fan the tubs?

Invisiblemicololo2
Stranger

Re: White Elm Mushroom (hypsizygus ulmarius) [Re: Owl]
    #4947068 - 11/17/05 05:05 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Look my avatar, they grew in the tub but I do not recomand you to start with this spieces, it's a little bit different. Yes, no misting for the white elm. I never fan the tub , It does'nt need a big wind, a good aeration localisation for the tub. You'll have to try and ajust. Tips: Try to install the pins near a hole of the tub (1-3 inches). Keep your papers wet. Change them every 7 days. You'll maybe have to adjust the cover, but usualy crossway install on the top of the tub works well. If you put ice, change water every 6 or 7 days even during pin set. Check that the mycelium wont grow on your paper.
You can use it outside to, stick good plastic little holes screen on holes of the tub and close the cover tight. Choose easy spieces to grow first with less chance of flies infection. Good Luck

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms