Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebullettoothtony
reality_skewed

zoloft
    #448319 - 11/05/01 09:45 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I have a friend who takes the prescription drug Zoloft. I'm pretty sure its for depression. I was just wondering if anyone knows if there would be any drug interactions between Zoloft and shrooms. I know it might not be a good idea if she is depressed, but she really wants to try them and I'm not so sure she's depressed anyways. I'll have to talk to her first. But I just need to know if anyone has any info on Zoloft.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineegolesss
veteran
Re: zoloft [Re: bullettoothtony]
    #448326 - 11/05/01 09:52 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Other than mentally someone on Zoloft should not take shrooms, physically there is no harm.

--------------------
Going crazy will drive you mad, but once you get there the rest is easy....All spores are not created equal!!!!!!!!!!! Sporeworks, Hawkseye, PF, they are completely viable with very strong genetics.

Offlinegluke bastid
Stinky Bum
Male User Gallery

Loc: Charm City
Re: zoloft [Re: egolesss]
    #448341 - 11/05/01 10:11 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Don't listen to Egoless. People don't take zoloft or other anti-depressants because they are mentally unstable, as he implied. People take anti-depressants because they have chemical imbalances that result in mood problems. Zoloft doesn't have the ability to make anyone "un-crazy" anyway, just increases their serotonin levels.

I have never had any problems with anti-depressants interacting with shrooms. I don't take zoloft, but I don't see why it would be any different. But don't trust me, ask a doctor. I mean it... ASK A DOCTOR.

--------------------
:hst:
Society in every form is a blessing,
but government at its best is but a necessary evil

- Thomas Paine

OfflineMarleyBob
Pooh-Bah
Loc: USSA
    #448355 - 11/05/01 10:20 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

my one friend who is on zoloft usually needs about twice the normal does of tryptamines than the rest of us to "get off". That might just be his personal brain chemistry though.

Offlineegolesss
veteran
Re: zoloft [Re: gluke bastid]
    #448357 - 11/05/01 10:21 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

First of all you don't even take the drug gluke bastid, people don't take anti-depressants because they are imbalanced, they can have something going on in their life that calls for a little help. Also Zoloft is not recomended for use over 3 months straight, chemical imbalances last more than several months last time I checked. Good advice to ask a Dr., but its not an MAO and it it is physically safe....Don't tell someone unfactual information and try to second guess someone with answers, it's dangerous and why would you want to do that?

--------------------
Going crazy will drive you mad, but once you get there the rest is easy....All spores are not created equal!!!!!!!!!!! Sporeworks, Hawkseye, PF, they are completely viable with very strong genetics.

Offlinebullettoothtony
reality_skewed

#448370 - 11/05/01 10:29 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Ok, well it sounds like its physically safe so I guess thats good. I will talk to her. I have another question though. I have another friend thats taking prozac. Any thoughts on that?

Offlinegluke bastid
Stinky Bum
Male User Gallery

Loc: Charm City
    #449290 - 11/06/01 06:07 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I actually took zoloft for over a year.
I take anti-depressants precisely because of chemical imbalance and I've never talked to anyone who was ever prescribed zoloft or any other ant-depressant for a short period of time in which they needed "a little help," although I guess it is possible. The thing about anti-depressants is they don't really start having any effect on someone until about 3 weeks after they start taking them so I never figured they'd be used in such a situation. Still, you might be right about that.

I don't see how my "unfactual" information which is just my experience caused any harm, because in my experience there is no physical/chemical interaction between shrooms/lsd and anti-depressants which is what you stated.

Who was I second guessing?

--------------------
:hst:
Society in every form is a blessing,
but government at its best is but a necessary evil

- Thomas Paine

Offline420chick
Stranger
Loc: mid west.... Corn fields!...
    #465422 - 11/21/01 08:46 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

i have taken zoloft for a while and i have had no problems with any drugs i've done. I even tripped acid on it and i had no problems. your friend should be fine physically. just make sure she is emotionally stable enough to handle the trip. also, make sure she is in a familier enviroment and with people she knows and trusts well. other than that have fun and good luck!! ;)

peace and love

--------------------
[white]White rabbit peaks at midnight!![/white]:shocked:

[heart]love and peace all[peace]

OfflineGeek
Stranger

Loc: London, England
Re: zoloft [Re: 420chick]
    #466437 - 11/22/01 06:14 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I'm on Sertraline, another version of Zoloft. I have a chemical imbalance, and that pill fixes it. Taking shrooms whilst on these has no problems. The shroom messes with a different part of your brain (i believe, but i could be wrong). Tell your friend not to worry.

--------------------
---

Black Metal & Shrooms!
The Ultimate Black Trip!

OfflineSpidey
Stranger
Re: zoloft [Re: Geek]
    #469808 - 11/26/01 05:57 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Actually, Zoloft (Sertraline) does work on similar brain areas as Psilocybin and LSD.

Zoloft is in a catergory of antidepressants that are called SSRI's.

SSRI stands for Seritonin-Specific-Reuptake-Inhibitor.

What it does is potentiates serotonin neorotransmission by inhibiting its active presynaptic reuptake at the 5-HT sites, thus increasing seritonin neurotransmission throughout the brain. (A Primer of Drug Action 8th edition, Robert M. Julien, MD., 1998, page, 200-204)

Conversely, LSD, Psilocybin, and other Seritonin-like psychedelics exhibit their action by decreasing seritonin neurotransmission; resulting in an inhibition of seritonin throughout the brain. (same source, page,358-360)

So, in a sense, Zoloft acts in an opposite way than LSD and psilocybin. Therefore the two are counterproductive when taken together.

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Loc: Hootersville
Re: zoloft [Re: Spidey]
    #469816 - 11/26/01 06:56 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I have to agree about the SSRIs and shrooms counteracting each other.
I don't trip off from 4gms of cubies unless I don't take my Effexor for a day. This is percisely why I don't do shrooms anymore,maybe medical science will come up with a more psychadelicly compatiable anti-depressant in the future.
I suppose how much of a particular SSRI you're taking would make a difference also,but I've never heard that they are a dangerous combination.

OfflineWarped_Ventricle
journeyman
Re: zoloft [Re: Pinhead]
    #469823 - 11/26/01 07:09 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I'm on 40 mg of celexa (SSRI) a day and I trip fine.
But I agree it might not be a good idea to do them while depressed.

Offlinejimmyvengeance
Re: zoloft [Re: Pinhead]
    #470159 - 11/26/01 02:47 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I think you may have oversimplified the action of the hallucinogens, but you're basically right.

In subjective studies, people taking SSRIs have had generally reduced effects from seratonergic hallucinogens. That is, if you're taking zoloft, mushrooms aren't going to hit you as hard. Of course, subjective effects are dependent on a number of variables, including SSRI dosage, mushroom dosage, general susceptibility to hallucinogens, etc. It's a big, complicated mess, but luckily, the combination is safe (hell, maybe even safer than mushrooms alone).

-Jim

OfflineGrimace
enthusiast
Loc: Oregon
Re: zoloft [Re: jimmyvengeance]
    #470830 - 11/27/01 01:54 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Well, take it from someone that has been on Zoloft and taken shrooms at the same time. As your friend, I was taking them for a mild-severe depression. I had been taking them for about two months, so I was well adjusted to the drug. Mushrooms had no odd effects (I had taken them once before while no on Zoloft) and were very enjoyable. There is nothing in Zoloft that should differ the effects psilocybin. Your friend will be fine as long as she takes it slow, probably 1-2 grams, as this is what I did (I know individuals can differ).
Best bet is to under-dose and play it safe. Chemically, you have no worries but mentaly it's always a shoke, especially for those that have been going through any kind of depression.
On the bright side, the mushrooms will most likely act as a healing agent, however this is never a reason to go off of a perscription drug, which is exactly what I did. Tell her to stick with it, and it will eventually adapt here biology.

Grimace

--------------------
"Is there anyway of knowing........which direction we are going?!! Yes!"
Mr. Wonka

OfflineForTheBuddha
Dr Buddha
Re: zoloft [Re: Spidey]
    #4753455 - 10/04/05 09:39 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

This is exactly the type of info I'm looking for :laugh:

Thanks Spidey  :thumbup:

I've just recently started taking Zoloft.  I've been on the treatment for 6 weeks now.  I started out @ 25mg/day and gradually want up to my current 100mg/day.  Zoloft is great, however it's not what I expected.  It helps all the time.  I'm no longer anxious or nervous when I get stoned, which is good cause I'm usually stoned all the time.

I've only had shrooms once before and it was a very small amount of someone's left overs.  I'de say over a gram, but not two.  It was a fun little trip.  I've also tripped on LSD several times.

I've always had an inherently curious nature, as most of us do

Quote:

Spidey said:
Actually, Zoloft (Sertraline) does work on similar brain areas as Psilocybin and LSD.
<br>
<br>Zoloft is in a catergory of antidepressants that are called SSRI's.
<br>
<br>SSRI stands for Seritonin-Specific-Reuptake-Inhibitor.
<br>
<br>What it does is potentiates serotonin neorotransmission by inhibiting its active presynaptic reuptake at the 5-HT sites, thus increasing seritonin neurotransmission throughout the brain.  (A Primer of Drug Action 8th edition, Robert M. Julien, MD., 1998, page, 200-204)
<br>
<br>Conversely, LSD, Psilocybin, and other Seritonin-like psychedelics exhibit their action by decreasing seritonin neurotransmission; resulting in an inhibition of seritonin throughout the brain. (same source, page,358-360)
<br>
<br>So, in a sense, Zoloft acts in an opposite way than LSD and psilocybin.  Therefore the two are counterproductive when taken together.
<br>
<br>

OfflineShroomArtist84
Stranger
Re: zoloft [Re: ForTheBuddha]
    #4754165 - 10/04/05 12:39 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

damn spidey , good information

--------------------
No matter what I say and no matter what I write here.

I'm sick of always looking at this page with a blank stare.

OfflineThePredator
Your a eunich ifyou don't useunix!

Re: zoloft [Re: ShroomArtist84]
    #4754552 - 10/04/05 01:52 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Because shrooms/lsd only decrease 5-HT in the 5-HT(2a) site, and it increases serotonin in the other sites (except for 4 and 5), the effects would be slightly different, how different would depend on your sensitivty. But I would imagine that it would make the trip more euphoric and put the person in a good mood.

--------------------

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: zoloft [Re: ThePredator]
    #4754963 - 10/04/05 03:17 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Generally speaking, SSRI's will decrease the subjective effects of hallucinogens. There was a study done on the effects of SSRI's and LSD and it was found that the subjective effects decrease. While there are differences, the two drugs have similar effects on the serotonin systems of the brain.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query...&query_hl=3

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

InvisibleRustifer
prestige worldwide
Male

Loc: Central Texas
Re: zoloft [Re: badchad]
    #4754968 - 10/04/05 03:19 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I've heard if you take this stuff for a long time then abrubtly stop using it it kills you.

OfflineThePredator
Your a eunich ifyou don't useunix!

Re: zoloft [Re: Rustifer]
    #4754993 - 10/04/05 03:27 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Rustifer, you heard wrong. Theirs a chance that it could send you into shock, but it wouldn't outright kill you.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate