Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSherman901
Stranger
Black spore print
    #4660020 - 09/14/05 03:07 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

I found a mushroom in my lawn recently. It was away from where the chemical guys sprayed my lawn and the mushroom I found has a jet black spore print. It looks like someone drew it with a blank ink pen. I don't have a camera so I'm unable to show a picture but it has a long stem and some wierd design on the top. Are psychoactive mushrooms the only mushrooms with jet black spore prints? There is only one that I found so it won't do anything, but maybe I can do something with the spores.

--------------------
Strangers passing in the street by chance two seperate glances meet and I am you and what I see is me.

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young 2006

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRamuh
Finder of thesubbs

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Re: Black spore print [Re: Sherman901]
    #4660046 - 09/14/05 03:11 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Nope, there are plenty of in-active panaelous mushrooms that all have jet black spore prints. This one may be the active Pan Subb, though. Give a better description (stem color, gill color, cap shape, any lines on the stem, etc) and we may be able to narrow it down a bit better.

Pictures of course are awesomely helpful, but I think you said you don't have a camera.

--------------------
Radio is down for a day or two to transfer all my music, and do some other work.

"Light, coming from my mind. We are one, the night has just begun"

OfflineSherman901
Stranger
Re: Black spore print [Re: Ramuh]
    #4660061 - 09/14/05 03:13 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Gill color is a dark gray with white on the edges, there are lines running vertically down the stem, cap is shaped like a bowl. I'll give a better description once I get un-lazy and go and get it.

--------------------
Strangers passing in the street by chance two seperate glances meet and I am you and what I see is me.

Offlinefrankthetank87
THE TANK
Re: Black spore print [Re: Sherman901]
    #4660527 - 09/14/05 04:43 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Sherman901 said:
Gill color is a dark gray with white on the edges, there are lines running vertically down the stem, cap is shaped like a bowl. I'll give a better description once I get un-lazy and go and get it.

Vertial lines usually indicate Paneoleus Foensicii, an unactive mushroom. Subb's spiral down the stem. Also, subb's usually have rings on the cap. By the way, it is very possible to find active subb's in your lawn, it is just unlikely. You'd have a better chance looking in some old compost or rotten hay, golf courses are pretty hot too, at least around here anyway.

P.S. A jet black sporeprint = active pan subb
Pan foe's will be a darker brown.

Sometimes it's hard to distinguish between the two.

OfflineBlek
Stranger
Male

Loc: The universe
Re: Black spore print [Re: frankthetank87]
    #4661429 - 09/14/05 07:47 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

frankthetank87 said:
Vertial lines usually indicate Paneoleus Foensicii

Although this is true in some cases, you shouldn't let this be a determining factor between Pan Subbs and Pan Foes. I live in Washington and every Subb I've picked has had vertical lines going up and down the stem. None have had spirals. The main factor is your location. Do some research and find out what the characteristics of subbs/foes are in your area. Also, I've noticed that the ring on the cap of Subbs usually fades with age, making it more difficult for an inexperienced picker to ID. If you want to be sure, take a spore print, although it sounds like you already have. Frank is right about the spore print colors. Subbs have jet black prints and foes will have a dark brown/brown print.

One last thing.. post all of the NECESSARY info for a proper ID. You can find the guidelines for accurate mushroom descriptions HERE

Good luck and be safe!

OfflineSherman901
Stranger
Re: Black spore print [Re: Blek]
    #4661822 - 09/14/05 09:21 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

The spore print is a definite jet black. I'll try and get more info up later but like I said it's pointless since I only found one. Although, if it is a Pann., I could do something with the spores perhaps. Thanks for all the help, I'll get back to you in a bit.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification