Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemino
Stranger
Australian Mushroom Hunting
    #4643964 - 09/10/05 10:10 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

G'day! Got a few questions.
I have an interest in Magic Mushrooms - Would love to try ...
Theres no way I can import a grow kit from another country due to customs. I guess im looking for some advice on mushroom picking/hunting, I know 0 about mushroom identification other than what Ive read here and dont know anyone that could help.

Im in western australia, perth, just wondering what books are best for ID purposes in australia, any general gathering/picking tips?

I hear balingup is a good place to start.....but what about mushroom ID....sounds like a painful death if you pick the wrong one :smile:

Also when is the season?? when's the best time to go gathering?

Edited by mino (09/10/05 10:12 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineastabooty
Fashionasta.com

Loc: Ft Lauderdale and Gainesv...
Re: Australian Mushroom Hunting [Re: mino]
    #4644037 - 09/10/05 10:34 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I don't know if spores would pass customs, but if they can, I would suggest ALSO trying to make your own kit. At first I was intimidated by all the manuals, but it seems like very basic units will work.

Good luck with hunting!

--------------------

my t-shirt website www.fashionasta.com

Offlinemino
Stranger
Re: Australian Mushroom Hunting [Re: astabooty]
    #4644071 - 09/10/05 10:42 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

theres so much information around its very daunting and yes intimidating!

can you tell me, the best way to ID a mushroom, is by visual, and a spore print? if the spore print is chocolate brown/purple, is that definately a good mushroom?

Whats a good aussie book on aussie mushrooms, with decent photo's.

Offlineastabooty
Fashionasta.com

Loc: Ft Lauderdale and Gainesv...
    #4644864 - 09/11/05 03:00 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

mino said:
theres so much information around its very daunting and yes intimidating!

can you tell me, the best way to ID a mushroom, is by visual, and a spore print? if the spore print is chocolate brown/purple, is that definately a good mushroom?

Whats a good aussie book on aussie mushrooms, with decent photo's.

according to this site, in aussie land you can find:
Copelandia cyanescens
Psilocybe australiana
Psilocybe eucalypta
Psilocybe makarorae
Psilocybe semilanceata
Psilocybe tasmaniana
Psilocybe aucklandii
Psilocybe subaeruginosa

info on identifying them can be found here i believe
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/12180

--------------------

my t-shirt website www.fashionasta.com

Offlinemino
Stranger
    #4644910 - 09/11/05 03:37 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

thanks for the info! got a few more questions....

when taking a spore print, what exactly should i be looking for? what colours should i be very wary of? . Do i cut the stem off or remove it? I noticed even some POISONOUS mushrooms have purple and chocolate brown spore prints...GEEZ!

Whats the difference between a spounge bottom and gills on the bottom? any pics so i can see the difference?

What colour gills should i be wary of? what colour gills generally mean a mushroom is ok...?

also when drying mushrooms, whats the best method....newspaper with a slow dry method using a fan and a decent space with good circulation?
how about lighting? dark? light? ....room temperature? 25 degrees? ambient?....

How long do dried mushrooms last?

can i have some more info PLZ.

Edited by mino (09/11/05 03:39 AM)

Offlinevc77
incarnate
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW US
    #4644971 - 09/11/05 04:51 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

When taking a spore print you are really only looking for color, unless you have a microscope on hand and know what you're looking for.

As for the best way to determine the species of a mushroom, it will become faily easy to do simply by its visual aspects. Most of us who have been into mycology for a while can easily determine the genus of a mushroom, and if not the exact species, we know where to look thereupon(internet/field guide).

No psychoactive species will have sponge-like gills. That is reserved for Boletes.

I would be wary of white gills. Other than that don't be concerned too much about that. The best thing to do, is just go around looking for any mushroom (In a respectable habitat, regarding the mushrooms you are actually looking for). When you stumble upon something, take a picture or two, and hit up your field guide real quick. This is a great way to learn more about not just active species of mushrooms but inactive as well (Which will help you on your way to finding and identifying active species).

Fan dry for 24 hours, then put in a Desiccant chamber for 24. Room lighting should make no difference. Normal room temp is good.

Dried mushrooms should last a good 6-10 months if cracker dry and stored somewhere room them. They tend to collect moisture from the air after a while and it makes them kind of rubbery and they turn a little brown.

If they are cracker dry and then frozen (In that order), they will retain thier potency indefinantly.

Keep studying.

Invisibletryptonite
mushroom ninja
Male User Gallery

Loc: aussie
    #4645217 - 09/11/05 08:51 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

In Western Australia you would be looking for Psilocybe subaeruginosa, however season is just about finished. Now is not the the time to start looking unless you know exacty spots. There is no easy way to learn identification by yourself you have to do a lot of study and become familiar with the distinguishing characteristics, as well as the habitats they grow in. These basic ones are fibrous hollow white stem, brown gills, purple sporeprint and blue bruising flesh. Looking at lots of photos helps but should be relied up solely for identification. Start at bluemeanies site, paul statmets book - Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World also has a description. a few places photos can be found in is erowid.org the Australia and New Zealand thread or the links in my signature.

--------------------

Entheogen Trade List

Offline_OttO_
Over Stimulated
 User Gallery

Loc: Up Over
Re: Australian Mushroom Hunting [Re: tryptonite]
    #4649277 - 09/12/05 06:14 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Hey mate, yes Balingup is a good place to start... the southwest is the only place I know they grow, but unless you know where to look and EXACTLY what to look for you have little to no chance of finding any. The season is defiantely over now so you will have to wait another 8 or so months until htey start popping up again.....

Check out some of my picks of South West mushrooms, from the Balingup region here:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4067192/page/0/fpart/73/vc/1/nt/74

Otherwise, try growing some cubensis - Research research research on growing on this site - I can send you some spores if you PM me with your details.

Shroom on :wink:

Offlinemino
Stranger
Re: Australian Mushroom Hunting [Re: tryptonite]
    #4649280 - 09/12/05 06:15 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks tryptonite !

Just wondering, if subs are generally found in WA. What kind shrooms am I likely to find when i move to QLD? and when does the Aussie season start and finish?

Offlinemino
Stranger
Re: Australian Mushroom Hunting [Re: _OttO_]
    #4649282 - 09/12/05 06:19 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

_OttO_ said:
Hey mate, yes Balingup is a good place to start... the southwest is the only place I know they grow, but unless you know where to look and EXACTLY what to look for you have little to no chance of finding any. The season is defiantely over now so you will have to wait another 8 or so months until htey start popping up again.....

Check out some of my picks of South West mushrooms, from the Balingup region here:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4067192/page/0/fpart/73/vc/1/nt/74

Otherwise, try growing some cubensis - Research research research on growing on this site - I can send you some spores if you PM me with your details.

Shroom on :wink:

Otto! Omg :smile: someone from the Southwest ....do you have an email address or Use MSN otto? I've got a zillion questions.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order