Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace Flag
Re: Oh, the Places You'll Go! by the lovable Dr. Seuss [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4630584 - 09/07/05 03:50 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I went and got this dr seuss book out. It is great shit.

I used to love dr seuss books when i was a lil guy

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan
Re: Oh, the Places You'll Go! by the lovable Dr. Seuss [Re: baraka]
    #4630594 - 09/07/05 03:52 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I was in barnes and nobles last night, and I saw goosebumps collections. I almost bought one since they were only 8 bucks, but I didn't. I'll probably pick one up later.

--------------------

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: Oh, the Places You'll Go! by the lovable Dr. Seuss [Re: baraka]
    #4630598 - 09/07/05 03:53 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

My other favorite is Ten Apples Up on Top!

Nice link TTS!

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

Loc: A rare and different tune
    #4631889 - 09/07/05 08:40 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

that was his last book
alot of people think of it as a farewell to the children who he influenced
truly a great man :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #4634329 - 09/08/05 03:16 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Check out what I found:

A Freudian analysis of the Cat in the Hat

The Cat in the Hat is a hard-hitting novel of prose and poetry in which the author re-examines the dynamic rhyming schemes and bold imagery of some of his earlier works, most notably Green Eggs and Ham, If I Ran the Zoo, and Why Can't I Shower With Mommy? In this novel, Theodore Geisel, writing under the pseudonym Dr. Seuss, pays homage to the great Dr. Sigmund Freud in a nightmarish fantasy of a renegade feline helping two young children understand their own frustrated sexuality.

The story opens with two youngsters, a brother and a sister, abandoned by their mother, staring mournfully through the window of their single-family dwelling. In the foreground, a large tree/phallic symbol dances wildly in the wind, taunting the children and encouraging them to succumb to the sexual yearnings they undoubtedly feel for each other. Even to the most unlearned reader, the blatant references to the incestuous relationship the two share set the tone for Seuss' probing examination of the satisfaction of primitive needs. The Cat proceeds to charm the wary youths into engaging in what he so innocently refers to as "tricks." At this point, the fish, an obvious Christ figure who represents the prevailing Christian morality, attempts to warn the children, and thus, in effect, warns all of humanity of the dangers associated with the unleashing of the primal urges. In response to this, the cat proceeds to balance the aquatic naysayer on the end of his umbrella, essentially saying, "Down with morality; down with God!"

After poohpoohing the righteous rantings of the waterlogged Christ figure, the Cat begins to juggle several icons of Western culture, most notably two books, representing the Old and New Testaments, and a saucer of lactal fluid, an ironic reference to maternal loss the two children experienced when their mother abandoned them "for the afternoon." Our heroic Id adds to this bold gesture a rake and a toy man, and thus completes the Oedipal triangle.

Later in the novel, Seuss introduces the proverbial Pandora's box, a large red crate out of which the Id releases Thing One, or Freud's concept of Ego, the division of the psyche that serves as the conscious mediator between the person and reality, and Thing Two, the Superego which functions to reward and punish through a system of moral attitudes, conscience, and guilt. Referring to this box, the Cat says, "Now look at this trick. Take a look!" In this, Dr. Seuss uses the children as a brilliant metaphor for the reader, and asks the reader to re-examine his own inner self.

The children, unable to control the Id, Ego, and Superego allow these creatures to run free and mess up the house, or more symbolically, control their lives. This rampage continues until the fish, or Christ symbol, warns that the mother is returning to reinstate the Oedipal triangle that existed before her abandonment of the children. At this point, Seuss introduces a many-armed cleaning device which represents the psychoanalytic couch, which proceeds to put the two youngsters' lives back in order.

With powerful simplicity, clarity, and drama, Seuss reduces Freud's concepts on the dynamics of the human psyche to an easily understood gesture. Mr. Seuss' poetry and choice of words is equally impressive and serves as a splendid counterpart to his bold symbolism. In all, his writing style is quick and fluid, making The Cat in the Hat impossible to put down. While this novel is 61 pages in length, and one can read it in five minutes or less, it is not until after multiple readings that the genius of this modern day master becomes apparent.

--------------------

OfflineShroomArtist84
Stranger
Re: Oh, the Places You'll Go! [Re: Silversoul]
    #4634479 - 09/08/05 03:51 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

haha Dr.Suess owns, damn its been forever since i read one of his books.

--------------------
No matter what I say and no matter what I write here.

I'm sick of always looking at this page with a blank stare.

OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
Loc: Ice patches that last for...
    #4634513 - 09/08/05 03:59 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Agreed.  He's awesome.  At one point, I think I had every Dr.Seuss book...

but they all got sold in a garage sale  :thumbdown:

If I ever have a kid, I'm definetely going to show him/her the magic of Dr.Seuss.

Man, have you seen the cat in the hat movie?  I thought it was so awesome, sticking with Dr.Seuss imagery.  Very trippy movie.  It can actually be a little overwhelming on mushrooms.

Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

Loc: A rare and different tune
Re: Oh, the Places You'll Go! by the lovable Dr. Seuss [Re: Spooge]
    #4636097 - 09/08/05 10:57 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

his drawings are amazing in there own right
he made alot of amazingly trippy paintings too

--------------------

OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
Re: Oh, the Places You'll Go! [Re: Shroomism]
    #4636152 - 09/08/05 11:10 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

i remember as a kid, all i ever looked for in libraries were doctor suess books.

What was the name of that one book he made dealing with pollution?

It talked about those trees and how everyone was making sweaters out of them and they kept building bigger and bigger machines to produce more sweaters untill all the trees ran out.

It's such a deeply political concept yet Suess was able to make it in a way that kids could understand. That guy was a genius beyond any super-brainy philosophist could be, imo.

RIP

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
Re: Oh, the Places You'll Go! [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #4641928 - 09/10/05 12:12 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

LiquidSmoke said:
What was the name of that one book he made dealing with pollution?

It talked about those trees and how everyone was making sweaters out of them and they kept building bigger and bigger machines to produce more sweaters untill all the trees ran out.

It's such a deeply political concept yet Suess was able to make it in a way that kids could understand. That guy was a genius beyond any super-brainy philosophist could be, imo.

The Lorax...great book!

"I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees."

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Re: Oh, the Places You'll Go! [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4642000 - 09/10/05 12:28 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I have accepted Dr. Seuss as my savior.

He has shown me the light.

And the light is SeussConsciousness.

It is the Way.

And the Way shall lead into Heaven.

Praise be to Seuss!

"Lest ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven." ~The Bible

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: Oh, the Places You'll Go! [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #4642007 - 09/10/05 12:30 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

:bow::bow:

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleshLong
Male User Gallery

Loc: 'sconsin Flag
Re: Oh, the Places You'll Go! [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #19561295 - 02/13/14 12:06 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

(I know this is an 8 1/2 year bump, but I wanted to comment... Also nice seeing a lot of the original posters are still active)

I was thinking about this book earlier and wanted to make a thread on it, but I see this one has all the elements  I was after, so I just wanted to bump it.
Dr Suess and Shel Silverstein are (were) amazing men. I only kknow Silverstein due to The Giving Tree, but that is the saddest, happiest, most loving book I've ever read.. And yet it's only mere pages long.

Oh The places you'll go is one of the most uplifting messages to be found in print. And again, it's mere pages long.
I found it used at a bookstore and couldn't resist buying it even though it was nearly all the money I had to live on for the next few days.
I believe if everyone read it once a month, the world would be a much better, more tolerant, and happier place.

Thanks for this thread, OMR.. I enjoyed it a lot!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies