Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblenewuser1492
Police beating up reporters
    #4624715 - 09/06/05 07:02 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

At least we have a trained military there to help maintain order. As usual police act like thugs.

http://www.nppa.org/news_and_events/news/2005/09/hurricane2.html

Photojournalists Covering Katrina Fall
Victim To Growing Violence, Chaos

By Donald R. Winslow, News Photographer magazine

(Updated September 2 at 2:35 p.m. CST)

AUSTIN, TX (September 1, 2005) ? As photojournalists continue to document the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina?s violent assault on the Gulf Coast, today they also found themselves documenting new violence and death among the survivors, the refugees, and the looters and police and rescuers in New Orleans, while some photojournalists even fell victim to the violence themselves. And a reporter for The Times-Picayune in New Orleans is still missing and has not been heard from since last weekend when he was sent to Mississippi cover the storm.

Two veteran photojournalists - NPPA member Rick Wilking of Reuters and Getty's Mark Wilson - were robbed of cameras and computer equipment today while on assignment in a neighborhood in New Orleans, and a photojournalist and a reporter were confronted at gunpoint and slammed against a wall by police following a shoot-out between looters and cops that left at least one person dead.

Another photojournalist - Lucas Oleniuk of the Toronto Star - was knocked to the ground by police, his gear taken from him initially, when he photographed them shooting at looters and then beating one. In response to the growing violence and an increasing sense of despair among the stranded survivors, some television networks have hired armed private security firms to protect their journalists as they work to cover the story.

Peter Kovacs, managing editor of The Times-Picayune, says reporter Leslie Williams, who was assigned to cover the hurricane on the Mississippi coast, is still missing. No one at the newspaper has heard from Williams since last weekend. Kovacs posted a note to Poynter?s Jim Romenesko saying, ?He's an extraordinarly cautious guy and he's covered a lot of hurricanes. So I'm thinking positive thoughts even though I haven't heard anything. I keep thinking he's okay." By Friday, the newspaper learned that the reporter's mother is also missing. Kovacs said they have assigned a reporter in Mississippi to search for Williams.

The environment journalists are working in has shifted from one of a post-storm rescue and recovery to one that?s more akin to urban warfare. Tonight?s news reports a desperate situation in New Orleans that is spiraling out of control, with fighting breaking out among the hurricane survivors, more looting and gunfire, reports of anarchy in many areas, and more bodies floating in the waterways and in the debris. Today there were reports of rapes taking place in and around the Superdome while outside the Convention Center bodies litter the sidewalks. More dead have been dragged to the corners of the building, the Associated Press reports, as there are no resources to deal with picking up the dead. Amidst this chaos and growing tension, photojournalists find themselves working in a growingly hostile environment where they are less welcome today than yesterday.

Toronto Star staff photojournalist Lucas Oleniuk was taken to the ground by police in the Spanish Quarter after he photographed a firefight between looters and police, and police were then reportedly ?beating on? a looter. A coworker at the Toronto Star told News Photographer magazine tonight, ?The cops saw him and put him down, and took his gear. At first they were going to take all of his cameras, but he talked them into only taking the memory cards and letting him keep the cameras.? Oleniuk?s coworker says the photojournalist, who was not injured in the incident, went to New Orleans the day after the hurricane hit.

New Orleans Times-Picayune reporter Gordon Russell wrote on Thursday afternoon that ?the city is not safe for anyone.? Russell and an unidentified photojournalist from The New York Times were in the Lower Garden District in an SUV, Russell says, where he ?feared for my life and felt our safety was threatened at nearly every turn.? Russell says throngs of hungry and desperate people overwhelmed the few military and law enforcement people on the scene at the Superdome and Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, and ?there was no crowd control. People were swarming. It was a near riot situation.?

Soon after, a shoot-out took place and Russell witnessed gunfire between police and civilians that he says ?left one man dead in a pool of blood.? Afterwards police slammed Russell and the photojournalist against a wall and threw their equipment to the ground when the duo got out of their SUV to cover the scene. Russell says afterward they retreated to the reporter?s home where they hid, and plan to flee the city Thursday evening.

Russell told the newspaper, ?There is a totally different feeling here than there was yesterday. I?m scared. I?m not afraid to admit it. I?m getting out of here.?

Reuters and Getty Images confirm tonight that Reuters photojournalist Rick Wilking and Getty Images photojournalist Mark Wilson had cameras and laptop computers stolen from a car they were using as they got out of the vehicle to photograph rescue efforts in a New Orleans neighborhood. Michael D. Sargent, vice president of news for Getty, said the two were not harmed and that they are safe tonight, but that their gear is gone. A Reuters picture editor in Washington said the trouble apparently started when the two photographers got out of their car with cameras and were seen, and then targeted, by a neighborhood crowd.

Pictures from earlier in the day by Wilking before he was robbed show people outside the Convention Center trying to revive an elderly woman who has collapsed, and a man holding a tiny baby in his arms as he covers with a sheet the dead body of an elderly man who is sitting in a chair, reportedly left there for two days now, as thousands of survivors stand by waiting for evacuation buses. Yesterday, Wilking?s photographs showed a dead woman sitting in her wheelchair outside her home in East New Orleans where her family had left her after the storm.

Many of today?s pictures from New Orleans show refugees dealing with a growing sense of despair as relief efforts failed to materialize in many areas and evacuation efforts were halted due to violence. A picture by photojournalist Michael Ainsworth of the Dallas Morning News of people shoving in a crush as they lined up to board an evacuation bus ran huge, six columns across and deep, on Friday's Dallas Morning News front page. At The Advocate in Baton Rouge, LA, the front page was dominated by a picture shot by photojournalist Richard Alan Hannon of storm refugees holding a woman and praying over her "as her life ebbed away" on the sidewalk outside the Superdome where refugees waited for food, water, and evacuation.

NBC News has reportedly hired a private security firm whose officers are former soldiers or police, and who are licensed to carry weapons and trained to protect news crews as they do their jobs, to protect their staff members in the Gulf Coast region as they report the hurricane aftermath story. The move was prompted by what the news crews were witnessing: looting, gunfire, crimes, and gun-totting gangs moving freely about the streets. NBC News vice president David Verdi in New York told Paul J. Gough of The Hollywood Reporter, ?We?ve never been in a situation domestically like this, where the populace has been cut off from the rest of the world and there?s no food and water.?

The Times-Picayune is still out of their building and some staff members are working from a remote location at the journalism school at Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge, LA. CNN and WWL-TV have also based some operations out of LSU, as well as one of KHOU-TV?s satellite trucks.

The Times-Picayune tonight hopes to put out their first print edition since the hurricane hit, using the presses at the Houma Courier and delivering the newspaper wherever they can reach. They?ve published daily on the Internet and made downloadable Acrobat .PDF files of the newspaper and posted them on their Web site.

At the Biloxi Sun-Herald there?s still no electricity and no plumbing. They?ve dug trenches outside the building to use as latrines, and several recreational vehicles have been parked in the paper?s parking lot. The newspaper is still awaiting the arrival of a fuel truck to keep their generators going and they?ve increased security at the site. Today they printed and distributed a 24-page, two-section paper to 20,000 readers. They have now been able to make contact with up to 70 percent of Sun-Herald employees, and half of those reached report that their homes have been destroyed. Sun-Herald columnist Jeanne Prescott lost her sister and brother-in-law to the storm, Knight Ridder reports.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: Police beating up reporters [Re: newuser1492]
    #4624746 - 09/06/05 07:32 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

And you titled that "Police beating up reporters".

That situation is sad.

Does anyone know how many people were let out of the jails?

New Orleans was really on top of that disaster plan. In case of emergency, leave the poor, with their children and the elderly in a cesspool of misery, and then release all of the criminals into what is left of the general population.

Natural selection in action.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
Re: Police beating up reporters [Re: JesusChrist]
    #4624761 - 09/06/05 07:42 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I saw a news report on the BBC, they mentioned the prisons being evacuated, but I got the impression the prisoners were or were going to be taken out of state. They had pictures prisoners in sat on a motorway bridge guarded by marshals.

I am not sure what happened. Anyone got a reliable source?

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #4625228 - 09/06/05 11:09 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

It sucks to hear about how the guard and police were keeping the media from reporting the worst of it. People need to see it filmed it seems before they believe it.

They were not letting reporters into the dome because they did not want them to film the conditions are how many were dying in there. Eye witnesses from the dome, said they were piling those who were dying in their into a back room.

At least enough people saw with there own eyes what was going on and are telling others when they get out.

The shame is, it's easier to call it rumor without it being filmed. How could it be filmed if cameras were kept out or destroyed when the reporters were caught filming the worst of the AFTER math atrocities of how authorities handled things.

Thanks for sharing that one.

Someone brought up the prisoners being let loose. Monday night, there were reports coming out of rioting in one of the prisons and that the prisoners were gaining control of the prison. Tuesday, when the flood waters came in, helicopter film crews were showing the prisoners running out in the water and away. Then, they cut from that footage and reporting and I never saw it on the TV again.

It's going to be covered up by the media it seems but people will be able to tell the story and have been. Maybe they covered it up not to put people in more fear of going in to help then they are already were from the anarchists in the city. Maybe the anarchists in the city were all of those prisoners who ran free??

What a mess of chaos to sort through to get to the truth. So much is unbelievable even when you see it with your own eyes.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Police beating up reporters [Re: psilomonkey]
    #4625352 - 09/06/05 11:33 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

all the reliable sources are missing.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Police beating up reporters [Re: afoaf]
    #4625554 - 09/06/05 12:32 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

afoaf said:

Then that means, none of it happened huh?

What is a reliable source? One that says something you choose to believe. What if the reliable source suddenly says something you don;t want to believe or can;t believe. Does it now become a reliable source to you?

How does it work in your world afoaf. Reporters themselves are reporting having their camera equipment trashed by the cops.

I got a reliable source for you. Our judiciary system said the OJ Simpson did not kill Nicole Simpson. Do you believe that?

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: Police beating up reporters [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4625567 - 09/06/05 12:37 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

If you'd actually take the time to read my post instead
of making yet another knee-jerk reaction, you'd see who
I was replying to. And if you knew who I was replying to,
my post might make a little more sense.

PS. OJ didn't do it.

--------------------

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #4625571 - 09/06/05 12:38 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I don't know what happened with the prisons. I would like to know one way or the other. People have claimed they were released into the population. Jiggy says that they were showing footage of it on TV. I haven't come up with a story on a google search.

It would be nice to know what happened. If they let them go into the general population I would think that would have led to many of the problems that they have had.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflineAnisotropic
Stranger
    #4625661 - 09/06/05 01:06 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I love how hard it is to get certain types of images now-a-days.

Wonder why?

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: Police beating up reporters [Re: Anisotropic]
    #4625665 - 09/06/05 01:07 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

it's the liberal-controlled media.

bastards.

--------------------

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#4625678 - 09/06/05 01:10 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Afoaf, I here you. I am knee jerk responding as you put it because I am concerned when I see this catstrophe, nature and man made being brushed under the rug.

The concern is, when the next one comes and it will, it will repeat itself if these stories are true and no one took them seriously.

It's okay to have doubt. I do for the stuff I didn't see footage of, but, I will keep these stories in the back of my mind if I am ever in such a disaster situation and think to cover my ass for this stuff that otherwise, would have been to me, UNTHINKABLE.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Offlineheidegger
Stranger

#4625686 - 09/06/05 01:11 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

On the issue of Police and National Guards, here is a first-person report of a victim (in the context of this website, it would be interesting what the dog-sniffings were for. They did not search for drugs, did they?):

Hurricane Katrina-Our Experiences

Two days after Hurricane Katrina struck New Orleans, the Walgreen?s store at the corner of Royal and Iberville streets remained locked. The dairy display case was clearly visible through the widows. It was now 48 hours without electricity, running water, plumbing. The milk, yogurt, and cheeses were beginning to spoil in the 90-degree heat. The owners and managers had locked up the food, water, pampers, and prescriptions and fled the City. Outside Walgreen?s windows, residents and tourists grew increasingly thirsty and hungry.

The much-promised federal, state and local aid never materialized and the windows at Walgreen?s gave way to the looters. There was an alternative. The cops could have broken one small window and distributed the nuts, fruit juices, and bottle water in an organized and systematic manner. But they did not. Instead they spent hours playing cat and mouse, temporarily chasing away the looters.

We were finally airlifted out of New Orleans two days ago and arrived home yesterday (Saturday). We have yet to see any of the TV coverage of look at a newspaper. We are willing to guess that there were no video images or front-page pictures of European or affluent white tourists looting the Walgreen?s in the French Quarter.

We also suspect the media will have been inundated with ?hero? images of the National Guard, the troops and the police struggling to help the ?victims? of the Hurricane. What you will not see, but what we witnessed were the real heroes and sheroes of the hurricane relief effort: the working class of New Orleans. The maintenance workers who used a fork lift to carry the sick and disabled. The engineers, who rigged, nurtured and kept the generators running. The electricians who improvised thick extension cords stretching over blocks to share the little electricity we had in order to free cars stuck on rooftop parking lots. Nurses who took over for mechanical ventilators and spent many hours on end manually forcing air into the lungs of unconscious patients to keep them alive. Doormen who rescued folks stuck in elevators. Refinery workers who broke into boat yards, ?stealing? boats to rescue their neighbors clinging to their roofs in flood waters. Mechanics who helped hot-wire any car that could be found to ferry people out of the City. And the food service workers who scoured the commercial kitchens improvising communal meals for hundreds of those stranded.

Most of these workers had lost their homes, and had not heard from members of their families, yet they stayed and provided the only infrastructure for the 20% of New Orleans that was not under water.

On Day 2, there were approximately 500 of us left in the hotels in the French Quarter. We were a mix of foreign tourists, conference attendees like ourselves, and locals who had checked into hotels for safety and shelter from Katrina. Some of us had cell phone contact with family and friends outside of New Orleans. We were repeatedly told that all sorts of resources including the National Guard and scores of buses were pouring in to the City. The buses and the other resources must have been invisible because none of us had seen them.

We decided we had to save ourselves. So we poured our money and came up with $25,000 to have ten buses come and take us out of the City. Those who did not have the requisite $45.00 for a ticket were subsidized by those who did have extra money. We waited for 48 hours for the buses, spending the last 12 hours standing outside, sharing the limited water, food, and clothes we had. We created a priority boarding area for the sick, elderly and new born babies. We waited late into the night for the ?imminent? arrival of the buses. The buses never arrived. We later learned that the minute the arrived to the City limits, they were commandeered by the military.

By day 4 our hotels had run out of fuel and water. Sanitation was dangerously abysmal. As the desperation and despair increased, street crime as well as water levels began to rise. The hotels turned us out and locked their doors, telling us that the ?officials? told us to report to the convention center to wait for more buses. As we entered the center of the City, we finally encountered the National Guard.

The Guards told us we would not be allowed into the Superdome as the City?s primary shelter had been descended into a humanitarian and health hellhole. The guards further told us that the City?s only other shelter, the Convention Center, was also descending into chaos and squalor and that the police were not allowing anyone else in. Quite naturally, we asked, ?If we can?t go to the only 2 shelters in the City, what was our alternative?? The guards told us that that was our problem, and no they did not have extra water to give to us. This would be the start of our numerous encounters with callous and hostile ?law enforcement?.

We walked to the police command center at Harrah?s on Canal Street and were told the same thing, that we were on our own, and no they did not have water to give us. We now numbered several hundred. We held a mass meeting to decide a course of action. We agreed to camp outside the police command post. We would be plainly visible to the media and would constitute a highly visible embarrassment to the City officials. The police told us that we could not stay. Regardless, we began to settle in and set up camp. In short order, the police commander came across the street to address our group. He told us he had a solution: we should walk to the Pontchartrain Expressway and cross the greater New Orleans Bridge where the police had buses lined up to take us out of the City. The crowed cheered and began to move. We called everyone back and explained to the commander that there had been lots of misinformation and wrong information and was he sure that there were buses waiting for us. The commander turned to the crowd and stated emphatically, ?I swear to you that the buses are there.?

We organized ourselves and the 200 of us set off for the bridge with great excitement and hope. As we marched pasted the convention center, many locals saw our determined and optimistic group and asked where we were headed. We told them about the great news. Families immediately grabbed their few belongings and quickly our numbers doubled and then doubled again. Babies in strollers now joined us, people using crutches, elderly clasping walkers and others people in wheelchairs. We marched the 2-3 miles to the freeway and up the steep incline to the Bridge. It now began to pour down rain, but it did not dampen our enthusiasm.

As we approached the bridge, armed Gretna sheriffs formed a line across the foot of the bridge. Before we were close enough to speak, they began firing their weapons over our heads. This sent the crowd fleeing in various directions. As the crowd scattered and dissipated, a few of us inched forward and managed to engage some of the sheriffs in conversation. We told them of our conversation with the police commander and of the commander?s assurances. The sheriffs informed us there were no buses waiting. The commander had lied to us to get us to move.

We questioned why we couldn?t cross the bridge anyway, especially as there was little traffic on the 6-lane highway. They responded that the West Bank was not going to become New Orleans and there would be no Superdomes in their City. These were code words for if you are poor and black, you are not crossing the Mississippi River and you were not getting out of New Orleans.

Our small group retreated back down Highway 90 to seek shelter from the rain under an overpass. We debated our options and in the end decided to build an encampment in the middle of the Ponchartrain Expressway on the center divide, between the O?Keefe and Tchoupitoulas exits. We reasoned we would be visible to everyone, we would have some security being on an elevated freeway and we could wait and watch for the arrival of the yet to be seen buses.

All day long, we saw other families, individuals and groups make the same trip up the incline in an attempt to cross the bridge, only to be turned away. Some chased away with gunfire, others simply told no, others to be verbally berated and humiliated. Thousands of New Orleaners were prevented and prohibited from self-evacuating the City on foot. Meanwhile, only two City shelters sank further into squalor and disrepair. The only way across the bridge was by vehicle. We saw workers stealing trucks, buses, moving vans, semi-trucks and any car that could be hotwired. All were packed with people trying to escape the misery New Orleans had become.

Our little encampment began to blossom. Someone stole a water delivery trick and brought it up to us. Let?s hear it for looting! A mile or so down the freeway, an army truck lost a couple of pallets of C-rations on a tight turn. We ferried the food back to our camp in shopping carts. Now secure with the two necessities, food and water, cooperation, community and creativity flowered. We organized a clean up, and hung garbage bags from the rebar poles. We made beds from wood pallets and cardboard. We designated a storm drain as the bathroom and the kids built an elaborate enclosure for privacy out of plastic, broken umbrellas, and other scraps. We even organized a food recycling system where individuals could swap out parts of C-rations (applesauce for babies and candies for kids!).

This was a process we saw repeatedly in the aftermath of Katrina. When individuals had to fight to find food or water, it meant looking out for yourself only. You had to do whatever it took to find water for your kids or food for your parents. When these basic needs were met, people began to look out for each other, working together and constructing a community.

If the relief organizations had saturated the City with food and water in the first 2 or 3 days, the desperation, the frustration and the ugliness would not have set in.

Flush with the necessities, we offered food and water to passing families and individuals. Many decided to stay and join us. Our encampment grew to 80 or 90 people.

From a woman with a battery powered radio we learned that the media was talking about us. Up in full view on the freeway, every relief and news organizations saw us on their way into the City. Officials were being asked what they were going to do about all those families living up on the freeway? The officials responded they were going to take care of us. Some of us got a sinking feeling. ?Taking care of us? had an ominous tone to it.

Unfortunately, our sinking feeling (along with the sinking City) was correct. Just as dusk set in, a Gretna Sheriff showed up, jumped out of his patrol vehicle, aimed his gun at our faces, screaming, ?Get off the fucking freeway?. A helicopter arrived and used the wind from its blades to blow away our flimsy structures. As we retreated, the sheriff loaded up his truck with our food and water.

Once again, at gunpoint, we were forced off the freeway. All the law enforcement agencies appeared threatened when we congregated or congealed into groups of 20 or more. In every congregation of ?victims? they saw ?mob? or ?riot?. We felt safety in numbers. Our ?we must stay together? was impossible because the agencies would force us into small atomized groups.

In the pandemonium of having our camp raided and destroyed, we scattered once again. Reduced to a small group of 8 people, in the dark, we sought refuge in an abandoned school bus, under the freeway on Cilo Street. We were hiding from possible criminal elements but equally and definitely, we were hiding from the police and sheriffs with their martial law, curfew and shoot-to-kill policies.

The next days, our group of 8 walked most of the day, made contact with New Orleans Fire Department and were eventually airlifted out by an urban search and rescue team. We were dropped off near the airport and managed to catch a ride with the National Guard. The two young guardsmen apologized for the limited response of the Louisiana guards. They explained that a large section of their unit was in Iraq and that meant they were shorthanded and were unable to complete all the tasks they were assigned.

We arrived at the airport on the day a massive airlift had begun. The airport had become another Superdome. We 8 were caught in a press of humanity as flights were delayed for several hours while George Bush landed briefly at the airport for a photo op. After being evacuated on a coast guard cargo plane, we arrived in San Antonio, Texas.

There the humiliation and dehumanization of the official relief effort continued. We were placed on buses and driven to a large field where we were forced to sit for hours and hours. Some of the buses did not have air-conditioners. In the dark, hundreds if us were forced to share two filthy overflowing porta-potties. Those who managed to make it out with any possessions (often a few belongings in tattered plastic bags) we were subjected to two different dog-sniffing searches.

Most of us had not eaten all day because our C-rations had been confiscated at the airport because the rations set off the metal detectors. Yet, no food had been provided to the men, women, children, elderly, disabled as they sat for hours waiting to be ?medically screened? to make sure we were not carrying any communicable diseases.

This official treatment was in sharp contrast to the warm, heart-felt reception given to us by the ordinary Texans. We saw one airline worker give her shoes to someone who was barefoot. Strangers on the street offered us money and toiletries with words of welcome.

Throughout, the official relief effort was callous, inept, and racist. There was more suffering than need be. Lives were lost that did not need to be lost.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/dis...mesg_id=4657335

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

#4625693 - 09/06/05 01:13 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I've been talking to my wife...there's some fine examples
of the survivalists coming out on top.

I was reading something on MSNBC or FOXNEWS website about
a couple guys in the garden district protecting their
homes holed up with guns, food, water, gas and electricity.

I think I want to create a cache.

--------------------

Invisiblenewuser1492
    #4625725 - 09/06/05 01:23 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

What you will not see, but what we witnessed were the real heroes and sheroes of the hurricane relief effort: the working class of New Orleans. The maintenance workers who used a fork lift to carry the sick and disabled. The engineers, who rigged, nurtured and kept the generators running. The electricians who improvised thick extension cords stretching over blocks to share the little electricity we had in order to free cars stuck on rooftop parking lots. Nurses who took over for mechanical ventilators and spent many hours on end manually forcing air into the lungs of unconscious patients to keep them alive. Doormen who rescued folks stuck in elevators. Refinery workers who broke into boat yards, ?stealing? boats to rescue their neighbors clinging to their roofs in flood waters. Mechanics who helped hot-wire any car that could be found to ferry people out of the City. And the food service workers who scoured the commercial kitchens improvising communal meals for hundreds of those stranded.

That guy sure did witness a lot.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#4625744 - 09/06/05 01:29 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Where do you live? Maybe you should think about it. I live in a potential diaster area. I have the basics stocked to get me through weeks, a generator, storm shutters, and money and means and places to go to get out if I want to before hand. I don't have guns in my house.

I never would have thought to put one on my hurricane survival list. I live in a wealthier area but even those were broken into in NO afterwards.

If one as big as katrina heads my way, I'll just be getting out. I know the drill, take videotape of your belongings for your insurance to see, take cash, stuff you need to keep or get remployed if need be elsewhere and leave dodge.

I too am rethinking stuff.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #4625857 - 09/06/05 02:09 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

afoaf said:

Whadda ya mean?
"democratic underground" and "news photographers magazine" aren't giants of news reportage? I'm shocked, shocked and outraged that you would besmirch these fine example of the best our news media has to offer!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order