Home | Community | Message Board

Sublicious Farms
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Balloons, Cracker, Nitrous Oxide

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleveggie

Loc: Flag
Formaldehyde-laced marijuana becoming big problem in Jersey
    #4517007 - 08/10/05 04:20 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Formaldehyde-laced marijuana becoming big problem in Jersey
August 10, 2005 - c-n.com

NEWARK (AP) -- The practice of dipping marijuana cigarettes in embalming fluid has been around for years. But some experts say the potent combination is becoming more of a problem in New Jersey, where it figured in a recent shootout that left one user dead, one wounded and one other person injured.

A friend told police that he and 20-year-old Ibn Berger had been smoking joints laced with formaldehyde shortly before Berger began a shooting spree Sunday night at the Seth Boyden housing complex. Berger fired shots at two police officers who returned fire, shooting him in the head and killing him. He also shot two others -- including his friend -- before being killed.

Such violence is typical of users of the chemical-laced pot, according to David Kerr, director of Integrity House, a Newark drug treatment center.

"It just whacks their brains out," he said. "They're smoking pot, and they dip it and they go berserk."

Known on the street by numerous nicknames including "illy," "leek," "crazy Eddie," "wet," "amp" and "purple rain," the formaldehyde-laced marijuana, sometimes with PCP added as well, has been around for at least 20 and possibly 30 years, said Doug Collier, a spokesman for the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration in Newark. Most recently, a spate of teens in Hudson County have sought treatment after using the drug, he said.

Integrity House admitted 69 patients who used the drug combination last year, up from 40 in 2003, Kerr said.

"It's getting to be more and more here," he said. "Newark is very prominent in this."

Users can become paranoid and experience hallucinations, experts say.

"They scream, shout, become violent," Kerr said. "It's very unpredictable. This is very insidious because these are people who are not too centered, anyway."

He said he knows of one young woman working as a prostitute in Newark who he suspects is using the drug combo.

"She can't even carry on a conversation," Kerr said. "Her eyes go wild; she chews on her fingers all the time."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
Re: Formaldehyde-laced marijuana becoming big problem in Jersey [Re: veggie]
    #4517440 - 08/10/05 11:01 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

veggie said:
Known on the street by numerous nicknames including "illy," "leek," "crazy Eddie," "wet," "amp" and "purple rain," the formaldehyde-laced marijuana, sometimes with PCP added as well, has been around for at least 20 and possibly 30 years, said Doug Collier, a spokesman for the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration in Newark. Most recently, a spate of teens in Hudson County have sought treatment after using the drug, he said.

:rofl: :rotfl: :lolz0rz:

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Formaldehyde-laced marijuana becoming big problem in Jersey [Re: gdman]
    #4517783 - 08/10/05 12:42 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I hear theft of embalming fluids are up... the damn junkies are digging corpses up outa the ground for the stuff... :grin:

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Wang
Re: Formaldehyde-laced marijuana becoming big problem in Jersey [Re: Seuss]
    #4519088 - 08/10/05 07:29 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

"It just whacks their brains out," he said. "They're smoking pot, and they dip it and they go berserk."

oh come on....... pots not the bad guy here, maybe pcp or embalming fluid could be the cause of the psychosis..... just a thought....  :doh:

--------------------
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." 
~Thomas Jefferson

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Formaldehyde-laced marijuana becoming big problem in Jersey [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #4519256 - 08/10/05 08:29 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I seriously dobut it's embalming fluid. I think the idiot authorities take drug slang a bit too seriously to the point of them confusing the actual drug with the slang.

Probably just some good PCP.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male Arcade Champion: Plumber

Loc: California
Re: Formaldehyde-laced marijuana becoming big problem in Jersey [Re: Ravus]
    #4519569 - 08/10/05 10:10 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

erowid: PCP - 'Embalming Fluid' - 'Wet' - 'Fry'
Quote:

There appears to be a current trend of the use of substances known alternately by the slang names 'embalming fluid', 'fry', 'formaldehyde', 'wet', 'water', or 'amp'. These are sold in a variety of forms including cannabis joints or regular cigarettes dipped in liquid and cannabis leaf or tea leaves dipped in liquid. In all of these forms, the material is then smoked. Despite the variety of names, there is good reason to believe that these are all various preparations containing PCP.

In most instances PCP is not mentioned when the substance is sold or discussed. In fact, there are constantly re-circulating rumors that substances being sold by these names do not contain PCP, but are instead actually the fluid (formaldehyde) used for embalming as would be used in a mortuary. But there is evidence to support that this is primarily a case of confused slang terms. 'Embalming Fluid' is a common street slang term for PCP and has been for many years. PCP can come in liquid form, so the term 'fluid' is fitting. It is entirely possible (actually quite likely) that the confusion between PCP and embalming fluid (formaldehyde) has gone so far as to cause a new trend where PCP is actually mixed with formaldehye (or other 'embalming fluids') and used as a recreational psychoactive. But there is little evidence that the formaldehyde itself causes any pleasant or desirable effects.

Embalming fluid, as used in a mortuary, is traditionally made from formaldehyde. It does not contain PCP. Formaldehyde and PCP are completely different chemicals, which are not related. Formaldehyde is a known carcinogen linked to nasal and lung cancer, and with possible links to brain cancer and leukemia and should not be smoked.

(my emphasis on the final paragraph)

--------------------
delta9

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Formaldehyde-laced marijuana becoming big problem in Jersey [Re: delta9]
    #4519761 - 08/10/05 10:51 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Not to mention there's no evidence it has any psychoactive value. It'd probably just do severe physical damage.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleDa_Vine
eat me
Male

Loc: jamaica mon
Re: Formaldehyde-laced marijuana becoming big problem in Jersey [Re: Ravus]
    #4520761 - 08/11/05 02:33 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

i used to smoke wet heavy. and it can make you halucinate,i did and had a sober witness tell me what i was actually doing after.
your high will depend on your mood and intensifies it by a million..
its not actually dipped you lace it yourself or smoke it straight (until your tolerence builds) and is not only a big problem in jersey but everywhere like my little no-where town for example.
i overdosed on it near the end of my addiction..

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient

Re: Formaldehyde-laced marijuana becoming big problem in Jersey [Re: Da_Vine]
    #4520783 - 08/11/05 02:38 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Aren't disassociatives fun?

--------------------
delta9

OfflineOrganic
Lloyd

Loc: Overlook
Re: Formaldehyde-laced marijuana becoming big problem in Jersey [Re: delta9]
    #4521129 - 08/11/05 04:51 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Yes :smirk:

--------------------

Invisibleveggie

Loc: Flag
    #4521447 - 08/11/05 11:04 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

In a somewhat related story...

Embalming fluid stolen
August 11, 2005 - newsadvance.com

The Altavista Police Department hopes that the theft of embalming fluid from a funeral home won't become a cold case.

Sgt. Chris Brooks said someone kicked open the back door of the funeral home and stole several cans of the fluid between July 30 and Aug. 1.

Altavista Police haven't found any leads so far. The department is not releasing the name of the funeral home.

"In 12 years (in law enforcement) I've never had a larceny like this," said Brooks.

Brooks isn't the only one to find this crime rare.

Tommy Doss, Lynchburg Police Department's crime analyst, said the city hasn't had any similar larcenies.

"It's not something we see real regularly," Doss said.

Former Campbell County Sheriff Robert 'Buddy' Maxey, who now works at Tharp Funeral Home in Lynchburg, said he doesn't recall seeing such a case in the 30 years he worked for the sheriff's office.

"I think I would've remembered that," Maxey said.

Brooks said the stolen item was arterial fluid, which contains formaldehyde, made by The Dodge Company, a major producer of embalming fluids.

Brooks, who also works part-time at a funeral home, said he doesn't know why the embalming fluid was stolen, but said he heard while at police academy that people have been known to dip rolled marijuana cigarettes in the fluid.

Skip Tharp, owner of Tharp Funeral Home, said he also has heard that people use the fluid for drug use.

"They put it on marijuana thinking it makes it more potent. It makes it more deadly," he said. "There is no kind of high experienced with sniffing embalming fluid."

Tharp said he's also heard of people using the fluids in taxidermy.

Brooks said the department is concerned for the public's safety because people who come into contact with the fluid could experience a variety of health problems, including inflammation of the linings of mucous membranes or skin irritation. Ingesting small amounts could cause blindness.

Offlinemotaman
old hand
 User Gallery
USE OF LACED POT A GROWING PROBLEM [Re: veggie]
    #4523171 - 08/11/05 07:23 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

http://www.mapinc.org/norml/v05/n1287/a07.htm

USE OF LACED POT A GROWING PROBLEM
by Tom Quigley, (Source:Express-Times)

10 Aug 2005

Pennsylvania
-------
It's a dangerous mix that can often lead to violence, experts say.

The practice of dipping marijuana cigarettes in embalming fluid has been around for years. But some experts say the potent combination is becoming more of a problem in New Jersey, where it figured into a recent shootout that left one user dead, one wounded and one other person injured.

This drug cocktail of sorts is also a problem in places such as Easton and Bethlehem.

"They call them dippers," said Tim Munsch, executive director of the Lehigh Valley Drug & Alcohol Intake Unit.

He said dippers are sometimes laced with PCP, cocaine, or even heroin.

Munsch said he hasn't seen a recent rise in the practice locally, but young drug users in the Lehigh Valley have been smoking dippers for at least 20 years.

"Adolescents tend to get whatever they can," he said.

Munsch said if there's a lull in the drug supply, users will turn to the dangerous practice of using inhalants.

Inhalants are common products found right in the home and are among the most popular and deadly substances kids abuse, experts say.

Teens use inhalants by sniffing fumes from containers; spraying aerosols directly into the mouth or nose; bagging, by inhaling a substance inside a paper or plastic bag; huffing from an inhalant-soaked rag; or inhaling from balloons filled with nitrous oxide.

"But marijuana is the leading drug all the time," Munsch said.

He said PCP is a very strong and potent drug that can lead to poor impulse behavior, agitation and anger. The so-called dippers laced with PCP or other drugs can enhance a user's emotional problems, he added.

In New Jersey, police said 20-year-old Ibn Berger had been smoking joints laced with formaldehyde shortly before Berger began a shooting spree Sunday night at the Seth Boyden housing complex in Newark.

Berger fired shots at two police officers who returned fire, shooting him in the head and killing him. Berger also shot two others -- including his friend -- before being killed.

Such violence is typical of users of the chemical-laced pot, according to David Kerr, director of Integrity House, a Newark drug treatment center.

Dippers are also known on the street by other nicknames including "illy," "leek," "crazy Eddie," "wet," "amp" and "purple rain."

Bob Parsons, a counselor who works in a Hackettstown-based Intensive Outpatient Program for those suffering from drug addictions and alcoholism, said the drug combination is not much in vogue in that area.

Parsons said the marijuana mixed with embalming fluid puts users in "a crazy hallucinogenic type of reality."

He said users often can't stand up and become panicky.

"It's not a good high," Parsons said.

The counselor said some users even mix marijuana with jet fuel when they can't get their hands on formaldehyde.

The Associated Press contributed to this article.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient

Re: USE OF LACED POT A GROWING PROBLEM [Re: motaman]
    #4523258 - 08/11/05 07:44 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

DON'T SMOKE TEH MARIJUANA IT COULD HAVE TEH EMBALMER!!#$@$@!#

--------------------
delta9

InvisibleBoom
Supervisor
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Cypress Creek
Re: USE OF LACED POT A GROWING PROBLEM [Re: veggie]
    #4523406 - 08/11/05 08:24 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

"When I get dusted, I like to spread the blood like mustard" :wink:

Good thing I don't have to go to Brick City to pick up my weed; college kids have the best weed.  Street dealers are the shadiest bastards you could ever encounter, especially in Newark.  You might buy crack accidently, or just get your ass beat and robbed :frown:

InvisibleDa_Vine
eat me
Male

Loc: jamaica mon
Re: USE OF LACED POT A GROWING PROBLEM [Re: delta9]
    #4523928 - 08/11/05 11:22 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

delta9 said:
DON'T SMOKE TEH MARIJUANA IT COULD HAVE TEH EMBALMER!!#$@$@!#

trust me even a dust head wouldnt "dip" weed in "embalming fluid" its a waste of weed. the only thing that is dipped in "embalming fluid" is crushed mint leaves or cigarettes which is rare on the east coast(ime).
no dealer is going to have and ounce of weed and an ounce of sherm and mix the two, they would sell it separately to make more money.
no need to worry, unless your weed smells "permanent markerish".

Invisiblegema
Freedom from the Known
 Arcade Champion: Ms. Pacman, Pac Man, Tetris

Loc: t(here)
Re: USE OF LACED POT A GROWING PROBLEM [Re: Da_Vine]
    #4524188 - 08/12/05 12:24 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

around here we call it "wicky sticks." Ah! the good ole days!

Offlinemotaman
old hand
 User Gallery
Re: USE OF LACED POT A GROWING PROBLEM [Re: gema]
    #4526689 - 08/12/05 04:10 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Wicky stick or happy stick is what I have heard.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

OfflineShroomArtist84
Stranger
Re: Formaldehyde-laced marijuana becoming big problem in Jersey [Re: motaman]
    #4533998 - 08/14/05 03:46 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Represent jersey! lol.
wet = horrible

--------------------
No matter what I say and no matter what I write here.

I'm sick of always looking at this page with a blank stare.

OfflineSchwip
Never sleeps.
 User Gallery

#4538975 - 08/15/05 07:01 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Jebus!!!

What the fuck..... FORMALDEHYDE is not PCP!!!!

Smoking formaldehyde will not do shit!!!!

Now because of all these misrepresented 'news stories' people are out and about trying to steal/buy embalming fluid or formaldehyde......keeping the fucking myth alive....

Ahhh...makes me so angry.....

While the comedown of real PCP may not be as gentle as other dissociative....its not all that horrible of a drug......

fuck cunt

--------------------
--------------------------------

" If the sky were to suddenly open up there would be no law. There would be no rule. There would only be you and your memories... the choices you've made, and the people you've touched. If this world were to end there would only be you and him and no-one else. "

"MAN! You know there aint no such thing as left over crack!"

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Balloons, Cracker, Nitrous Oxide

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service