Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineUncleLuke
Crack andlasers.
Male

Loc: North Florida
Night hunting / Need opinions
    #4147900 - 05/07/05 06:32 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

There are so many pros and cons for mushroom hunting at night. But for me, I have no choice. The best pasture to use in our area has a farmer that is out there every day doing work. He usually leaves around 10pm.... or does he? My buddies and I are very paranoid so we take extra precautions.

I've been trying to come up with ways to greatly decrese the chances of getting caught. I'd like to hear all your opinions and suggestions on being as stealth as possible while hunting at night.

Lighting - We always use small, red lensed flashlights. It is rumored that red lighting is the hardest to see from a distance. Thus decresing our chances of getting caught. The bad thing about these is you cannot see very far. You have to shine the light real close to the patty to check for mushrooms. Is there a better/easier way?

Carrying Specimens - The first time we ever went hunting, I made the mistake of bringing a plastic bag. It made way too much noise and woke up a few cows. Paper bags are a pain in the ass to carry around. I found that using a lunch box with a shoulder strap is easiest to use, carry, and makes no noise.

Clothing - We tend to dress in as much black as possible. But I hear that being caught trespassing while dressed in black can result in a prowling charge. Is there any color clothing we could wear that would decrease our chances of being both spotted and getting a prowling charge?

Please post your ideas, opinions, and suggestions.

PS, would nightvision goggles work good for shrooming?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Night hunting / Need opinions [Re: UncleLuke]
    #4147974 - 05/07/05 07:00 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Would night extra-precautions include beibng able to run faster than a speeding bullet.

Move sideways to avoid buick-shot, Wasnder into a night snake such as a cotton mounth or mocassin or rattler?

Anyway good luck. I ended up in 4 feet of swamp water in the dark moonlight one night.

mj

OfflineUncleLuke
Crack andlasers.
Male

Re: Night hunting / Need opinions [Re: mjshroomer]
    #4147996 - 05/07/05 07:06 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I feel it's safer to hide behind a bush, rather than run. Unless of course you have a spotlight on your ass.

--------------------

InvisibleMadSeasonAbove
Reef Donkey
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida Flag
    #4148428 - 05/07/05 09:38 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I heard the farmers are using salt bags now instead of lethal. HA HA...fun to think about, especially when you're out there.

I had a pack of wild boar go right by me one hunt, I was scared out of my ninnies.

funny to think about now.
How early do you think the farmer gets up? try going at 5:30am(be on the field at that time), you shouldnt need lights.
oh, and dont get caught.
~MSA~

Edited by MadSeasonAbove (05/07/05 09:39 PM)

OfflineUncleLuke
Crack andlasers.
Male

Re: Night hunting / Need opinions [Re: MadSeasonAbove]
    #4148475 - 05/07/05 09:53 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I'm sure he wakes up pretty damn early. Before 5:30. What kind of work would a cow farmer do besides feeding them? Does he milk them or what? Cut them up for burgers?

--------------------

Offlinetripz
Male User Gallery

#4149342 - 05/08/05 04:06 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I always go at night..
Wear all black and use a red light in which the ground is lit and from a horizontal perspective the bulb is not visible.

I presonally use an LED red light inside of a toilet paper roll. It lights the ground and the LED is not visible when pointed downward.

--------------------
irc.danknug.com
#shroomery / #cultivation

OfflineUncleLuke
Crack andlasers.
Male

Re: Night hunting / Need opinions [Re: tripz]
    #4150797 - 05/08/05 05:44 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

what about using a black light (the purple ones)? Or would red be better.

--------------------

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #4150834 - 05/08/05 05:58 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

how about using no light?

that's the way i do it
and i dont pass any shrooms up

they glow in the dark

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Night hunting / Need opinions [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #4150934 - 05/08/05 06:31 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Right on GGreatOne234!

mj

Offlinejoepj02
ego tripping
    #4150989 - 05/08/05 06:51 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

a few tips:

the reason red is used at night is because it washes out the least of your night vision than other colors of light. a directional light is your best bet if you use light just fix some sort of tube around your light. as far as clothing there are a few factors to figure in on this. first off black isnt always your best bet. for example, on a bright moonlit night in the middle of a hay field black stands out pretty well because of the moonlight and the light color of the grass unless it hasnt started turning brown yet. your best bet is to try different combinantions during different conditions and have a friend check it. And as far as night vision goggles...well if your fortunate enough to get some the only thing to know is that they impare your depth perception so walking around staring at the ground with them will take some practice. i like the lunch box idea but remember to ventilate it some how so you dont smother your shrooms if theyre in there for an extended period of time. also another thing i like to do is check out the field during the day from outside the property. if its a good field you can usually spot a few good patches and make a note of where they are located so you know right were to go once you get there at night.

remember be safe and use your head

happy shrooming

--------------------
"Mr. Pibb is a poor excuse for Dr. Pepper....the dude aint even got his degree!!"--MItch Hedberg R.I.P. 1968-2005

OfflineUncleLuke
Crack andlasers.
Male

Re: Night hunting / Need opinions [Re: joepj02]
    #4167670 - 05/12/05 06:00 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

bump

--------------------

Offlinekrystalmagic
Stranger
    #4168915 - 05/12/05 11:31 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

camoflauge? That should be good to substitute for black. works well for myself. Try not to use faded camo though because it does stand out in the moonlight.

ALso - Last night I was out and I ended up in 3 foot of swamp water like 3 times. It was more cow piss/lillys actually... So some kind of light will work Just whenever you see what you "think" is a shroomie squat your fat arse down and click your light on just for a quick second and see what it is. Using a light doesn't help because that is just a quick flash one and off ALOT. Not bright lights either. DIM lights.

Invisibleflowstone
blustering

Loc: precious
Re: Night hunting / Need opinions [Re: krystalmagic]
    #4169046 - 05/13/05 12:14 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I'm sure once you see the reflection of red light on a biscuit top at 3am you will remember it well.
Great thread, and great ideas to everyone! I've never been night hunting but am looking into my abilities to pull it off.

Best advice I saw here was be in shape.
And also know the area and have an escape plan!

If the field is tiny, you can park, jump, and search in 5 minutes or less. Always scout it out and make a good plan.

--------------------
these long agonizing months without you...have been long and agonizing..
"War Doesn't Decide Who's Right... It Only Decides Who's Left."

OfflineSillyPillgrum
^Drugged^Up^

Loc: ..South Florida..
My "tips from experience" for night hunting [Re: flowstone]
    #4169325 - 05/13/05 01:17 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I have only been night hunting before. It may be easier where I go in florida.

I never have problems with Marsh/Swamp, just stay on high grounds and keep touching the ground. Just to make sure you don't start towards a mudhole or marsh area. If you do, Try not to get deep and possibly avoid the general area.

The grounds i go to are a fenced property(Probably Tresspassing) And the house usually stays sleeping while i go. The only problem is going close to horses/animals in stables. They Kick Loud. And for color, Try this:

?For Regular lawn or weeds / tall grass, Dark Green Pants and a Black Sweater with high neck collar.

?For Dryer areas use a faded-like green/gray color to blend in with dryness.

?When near tress always stand tall and move only when you know you can't be seen.
Also, Staying low will help in the avidance of being caught.

?ALWAYS WHISPER TO PARTNERS YOU'RE WITH.

HOW TO: Make a Small box for your flashlight out of cardboard.

?To cover the light emittance from horizontal view, Sipmly make a 4 piece box cover for your lense.
1. According to the width of your flashlight,
Make four rectangles from cardboard that are roucgly ?Inch longer than your flashlight is thick.
2.On one rectangle, trace the handle width so you can cut a hole later.
3.Assemble with packing tape, the four pieces into a rectangle-cube that has a now open bottom.
4. Cut the width of the flashlight out of the top rectangle piece and simply slide the handle of the flashlight through.

Please Don't climb Rickety Wooden Fences, You May hurt yourself.

Big Long Post. Hoped I Helped SOME.

--------------------
Please Excuse What Has Been Remarked Above For The Fact That:
"I reallly stoned..."

Offlinekrystalmagic
Stranger
Re: My "tips from experience" for night hunting [Re: SillyPillgrum]
    #4170221 - 05/13/05 09:41 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, that does sound good. I am going to make a light cover for myself whenever I go tonight. Whenever you see a car come by, squat down so they can't see you well.

InvisibleVoidOfsPg
Stranger
Female User Gallery
Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: My "tips from experience" for night hunting [Re: krystalmagic]
    #4170436 - 05/13/05 10:50 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

/me takes notes.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: My "tips from experience" for night hunting [Re: krystalmagic]
    #4171029 - 05/13/05 01:38 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

you really do not need to use a light.

i'd actually wager,
that you'll spot more shrooms without a light
than you will with one.

you don't even need to have moonlight.
your eyes dialate and adjust.

the mushrooms glow in the dark.
the grass is a dark black backround,
and the shrooms glow white.

it's as if the shrooms have duracell batteries in them.

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: My "tips from experience" for night hunting [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #4171109 - 05/13/05 01:55 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

<<it's as if the shrooms have duracell batteries in them. >>

:lol:  of all the times ive ever hunted at night, i have only used a light once.  and that was when i drove my car with my headlights on in the field with my friend on the hood of the car watching..we were so  :weirdeyes: :scrambled:  they really are easy to spot at night, i was surprised myself at this fact

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Offlinedrumsinttown
Your Mother'sGentleman Caller

Loc: Alabamer
Re: My "tips from experience" for night hunting [Re: SuperD]
    #4278061 - 06/09/05 10:44 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

...diggin up an old post, but what the hell....

So this "glowing" quality... is this just due to white standing out in the dark grass? Always had a flashlight when shroom hunting at night... maybe that's my problem. I will have to try it sans light tonight

--------------------
My unitarian jihad name is Brother Katana of Reasoned Discussion. The code that i used to link it from the site was not working so you may not click anywhere on this gay ass signature to get yours!

Offlineryanvergel
qdbpqdbp
Male

Re: My "tips from experience" for night hunting [Re: drumsinttown]
    #4278084 - 06/09/05 10:54 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

If you're experienced, you're better off without the flashlight, honestly.

Unless it's a huge fucking searchlight flashlight, you'll want to naturally let your eyes adjust and look for them that way.

I used to have to go night-hunting spur of the moment.

Sandals
no bug spray
no bags(used our shirts off of our backs a few times)
no flashlights

we used cell phones, but gave up on that. just use your eyes, and if the moon's out, they glow =D

But hunting in the day is just ridiculously easy and fast.

--------------------
So it goes.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale