Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
How to respond to a suicidal person * 2
    #4144824 - 05/07/05 01:19 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Make this sticky.

I think a lot of shroomerites are suicidal.  I also think a lot of shroomerites (myself included) do not know how to deal with a suicidal person very well.  Giving advice you think is good because of folk psychology may contribute to someone making a suicide attempt.  So, let me present some cited FACTS about what saves life when dealing with a suicidal person.  I plagerize freely from the sources I list at the bottom.  We love our suicidal friends, even though they have problems.  Let's make sure that the advice we give to other people is going to help them stay alive.  :thumbup:

"If someone is feeling depressed or suicidal, our first response is to try to help. We offer advice, share our own experiences, try to find solutions.

We'd do better to be quiet and listen. People who feel suicidal don't want answers or solutions. They want a safe place to express their fears and anxieties, to be themselves.

Listening - really listening - is not easy. We must control the urge to say something - to make a comment, add to a story or offer advice. We need to listen not just to the facts that the person is telling us but to the feelings that lie behind them. We need to understand things from their perspective, not ours."

"What do people who feel suicidal not want?

To be alone. Rejection can make the problem seem ten times worse. Having someone to turn to makes all the difference. Just listen.

To be advised. Lectures don't help. Nor does a suggestion to "cheer up", or an easy assurance that "everything will be okay." Don't analyze, compare, categorize or criticize. Just listen.

To be interrogated. Don't change the subject, don't pity or patronize. Talking about feelings is difficult. People who feel suicidal don't want to be rushed or put on the defensive."

"One of the most frightening experiences a person can have is hearing a friend or loved one say they want to die. Even to hear a complete stranger say these words is hard. Each day in our chat room and forum, there are dozens of pleas for help. How can one cope and try to maintain one's own sanity? Here are some tips I have gathered from various sources and from personal experience.

1. There are no right or wrong things you can say if you are speaking out of love and concern. Just be yourself. Show that you care by talking to them, holding them while they cry, or whatever else is necessary.

2. A suicidal person usually is carrying around some burden that they feel they just can't handle anymore. Offer to listen as they vent their feelings of despair, anger and loneliness.

3. Be sympathetic, non-judgmental, patient, calm, accepting. The person will pick up on your attitude and begin to mirror this.

4. Don't be afraid to ask, "Are you having thoughts of suicide?" You are not putting ideas in their head. This will give you some valuable information about how to proceed in helping him.

5. If the answer is yes, ask these three questions:

Have you thought about how you would do it?
Do you have what you need to carry out your plan?
Do you know when you will do it?

Fortunately the majority of people will either say that they have no definite plans or that they don't have the nerve to do it themselves. Although this is still a serious situation, you know that they are probably not in imminent danger of hurting themselves. Take their words as a plea for help and proceed with helping them to get the assistance that they need. Urge them to seek professional help as soon as possible.

If the answers they give you lead you to believe they are in immediate danger, do not hesitate to contact the authorities. They may tell you that you are betraying them or making them angry. You may feel like you will lose their friendship if you take action. Just remember that you may permanently lose their friendship if you don't. When they're well again, they will thank you.

6. Keep them talking. This will allow them to reduce the emotional burden they are carrying. and give them time to calm down. The longer you keep them talking, the more you can take the edge off their desperation. As their momentum winds down, it's harder for them to act on their feelings.

7. Avoid trying to offer quick solutions or belittling the persons feelings. How big he perceives the problem to be and how much he is hurting over it is what counts. Rational arguments do little good to persuade a person when they are in this state of mind. Instead offer your empathy and compassion for what he is feeling without making any judgments about whether he should feel that way.

8. If the person has already started a suicide attempt, call for help immediately. If they are still conscious, get what information you can about what substances they have ingested, how long ago did they ingest them, how much did they take, are they also consuming alcohol, when did they last eat, what is the general state of their health. Call 911, Poison Control, or an appropriate emergency contact number in your area and explain the situation. Keep calm and follow any steps they may give you to assist your friend.

9. If you are in a situation--such as an online friendship--where you know very little about the person, encourage them to call 911 on their own or to call a suicide hotline in their area.. This is your best option, because a local agency such as 911 or a hotline may be able to trace the call and get assistance to them. If they refuse to call, do your best to learn whatever personal information you can about the person. Don't hesitate to ask them for their address, phone number, and other information to help dispatch an emergency crew to their home. Ask for the same information in item #9 as well.

10. Dealing with a suicide threat is very stressful. Seek assistance to decompress afterwards. Talk to a trusted friend, your pastor, etc. about what you've been through and how you feel about it.

11. If all your attempts fail, don't blame yourself. You did all that you could. This person ultimately made their own choices, for good or bad. If you were very close to the person, it may be wise to seek out grief counseling and suicide survivor support groups."

"If you see the warning signs of suicide?

Begin a dialogue by asking questions. Suicidal thoughts are common with depressive illnesses and your willingness to talk about it in a nonjudgmental way can be the push a person needs to get help. Questions to ask:

?Do you ever feel so badly that you think of suicide??

?Do you have a plan??

?Do you know when you would do it (today, next week)?"

?Do you have access to what you would use??

Asking these questions will allow you to determine if your friend is in immediate danger, and get help if needed. A suicidal person should see a doctor or psychiatrist immediately. Calling 911 or going to a hospital emergency room are valid options. Always take thoughts of or plans for suicide seriously.

Never keep a plan for suicide a secret. Don?t worry about endangering a friendship if you truly feel a life is in danger. It's better to regret something you did, than something you didn't do to help a friend.

Don't try to minimize problems or shame a person into changing her mind. Your opinion of a person's situation is irrelevant. Trying to convince a person it's not that bad, or that she has everything to live for will only increase her feelings of guilt and hopelessness. Reassure her help is available, that depression is treatable, and that suicidal feelings are temporary.

If you feel the person isn't in immediate danger, acknowledge the pain as legitimate and offer to work together to get help. Make sure you follow through. This is one instance where you must be tenacious in your follow-up. Help find a doctor or a mental health professional, participate in making the first phone call, or go along to the first appointment. If you're in a position to help, don't assume that your persistence is unwanted or intrusive. Risking your feelings to help save a life is a risk worth taking."

"The following are common misconceptions about Suicide

"People who talk about suicide won't really do it."

Not True
Almost everyone who commits or attempts suicide has given some clue or warning. Do not ignore suicide threats. Statements like "you'll be sorry when I'm dead," "I can't see any way out," -- no matter how casually or jokingly said may indicate serious suicidal feelings.

"Anyone who tries to kill him/herself must be crazy."

Not True
Most suicidal people are not psychotic or insane. They must be upset, grief-stricken, depressed or despairing, but extreme distress and emotional pain are not necessarily signs of mental illness.

"If a person is determined to kill him/herself, nothing is going to stop him/her."

Not True
Even the most severely depressed person has mixed feelings about death, wavering until the very last moment between wanting to live and wanting to die. Most suicidal people do not want death; they want the pain to stop. The impulse to end it all, however overpowering, does not last forever.

"People who commit suicide are people who were unwilling to seek help."

Not True
Studies of suicide victims have shown that more then half had sought medical help within six month before their deaths.

"Talking about suicide may give someone the idea."

Not True
You don't give a suicidal person morbid ideas by talking about suicide. The opposite is true --bringing up the subject of suicide and discussing it openly is one of the most helpful things you can do."

http://www.befrienders.org/suicide/helpfrnd.htm
http://www.save.org/prevention/misconceptions.html
http://depression.about.com/cs/suicideprevent/a/suicidal.htm

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: tomk]
    #4144945 - 05/07/05 02:04 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

:thumbup: great post tomk.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: tomk] * 1
    #4145156 - 05/07/05 04:44 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Great post.

I think the most important thing to remember is:

If your friend is talking about feeling suicidal, your friend is already doing the right thing... reaching out to others. This is a good sign.

It is the people who keep their suicidal thoughts private... those are the people I worry about most.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Loc: SC
Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: Rose]
    #4153370 - 05/09/05 12:47 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

great post man. i often fear for my GF. she has very suicidal moments...has tryied to kill herself multiple times in the past. and she is afraid she will do it on her 20th b-day. This Aug 26.

Ive gone through everything you have just mentioned...its true what you say. dont try to argue or undermind them...it will only aplify and make things worse.

My girls needs help...i really dont know who to go to. Anything that costs moeny is out of the questiong because she had no insurance...and neigther on of us has enough money for the help that she needs. She has lots of health problems and htat only makes things worse...she has no way of getting the mdeicine she needs with no isurance and the price of medication these days.

if anyone has any advice please pm me...she is truly lost and i love her more than anything is this world. Im afraid if she wnet through with it i would feel like i have failed and i might do something drastic as well. In not normally depressed or anything...im all love...but if somehting happned to her i could see myself becomming the exact opposite of who i am now...and noone wants that.

--------------------
Work like you dont need the money.

Love like you never been hurt.

Dance like nobody is watching.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #4153415 - 05/09/05 12:59 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Good article. I've been there and just having someone there for you and to listen means so very much.

Vulture: Have you looked into signing up for your State's Medicaid program? It can pay for counseling, doctors and prescriptions....

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: Vulture]
    #4153446 - 05/09/05 01:08 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

deleted by myself

Edited by mattzdope (05/10/05 05:23 PM)

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: THE KRAT BARON]
    #4153740 - 05/09/05 02:56 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

:thumbdown:

Suicide is a response to pain.  The suicidal person feels like the only way to get rid of the pain is to end their life.  Remember, the perception of a suicidal person is going to be warped.  From their point of view, they feel like everyone would be better off without them, that they would be better off, since their pain would go away, and that suicide is their best choice for ending their pain.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
    #4154169 - 05/09/05 04:38 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I've emailed the Samaritans twice in my life, actually, both times in the past two years, some tough years...anyway, if you don't know they're the UK's big suicide prevention organization...and they do it for free.

When I e-mail them they never really say anything to me. They just encourage me to talk more. So reading this "how-to" manual with all this stuff about just listening puts that in perspective for me. I always assumed they were told to say as little as possible to avoid any danger of lawsuits. It did help me to just tell a complete stranger who I never heard from again though, sad as it is to admit.

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4154750 - 05/09/05 07:29 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

No offense to anybody but I think suicide is one of the most selfish things in the world. I have no pity for anybody that threatens or does commit suicide. They are selfish and god or whatever higher being you pray to will punish them.

Why would someone be offended by someone spouting such ignorant, pathetic sanctimonious unmitigated bullshit. You are a very sick soul and I will be praying for you. :thumbdown:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: Icelander]
    #4155454 - 05/09/05 10:52 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

deleted by myself

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

Edited by mattzdope (05/10/05 05:23 PM)

Invisiblebudsicle
s?igh?tsee?r

#4156351 - 05/10/05 05:51 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

it is easy to call suicide selfish, but after goin thru such a dark stage in life where suicide seemed like reasonable option i won?t, life can be real mindfuck/hell sometimes and i cant really blame any1 for taking that way out.. and its ultimately pretty futile to call people who take their own life selfish, cause afterall its the suicider whos missing all the possible fun there coulda still been waiting for him/her in life

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4156637 - 05/10/05 08:37 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

mattzdope said:
edited..

I'm sorry if I came off as sounding uncaring.. I have my beliefs you have yours.

In my religion suicide is the ultimate sin.

I find it very selfish unless the person is truly mentally ill (retardation). In that case I have compassion and understanding.

The loved ones and the ones that care about the person are the only people who get hurt on this plane by such a selfish act.

Much love to anybody who has lost somebody as a result to suicide.

I lost my fourth cousin by blood. I blame him for taking the easy way out and hurting his family and his friends. At the end of the day I still pray for him.

Sorry very touchy subject that I will stay out of.

:heart:

1) you are uncaring IMO

2)Keep your religion to yourself.

3)Once again, Bullshit IMO

4) Crap, people decide to be hurt or not, it's a personal choice and no one is making them do anything, or feel anything. That's why people respond to events differently. Grow up and take responsibility and quit blaming the innocent.

5) I wish you would show that with more sensitivity and compassion for the suffering of people you know nothing about.

6) Your attitude is sooo sad. I will continue to pray for you.

7) No one is asking you to stay out. Yeah it's touchy alright. Think hard before you post. We're trying to help people considering suicide. They don't need people telling them their feelings or decisions are not valid or are sinful and worthy of punishment

--------------------

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: budsicle]
    #4156956 - 05/10/05 10:25 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

budsicle said:
life can be real mindfuck

That's the truth...when a person reaches a suicidal low, they have a hard time thinking clearly. All the times I've reached that place I was in a very uncontrolled, very scary state of mind. It's like something dark and rotted had taken me over, and I became an entirely different person. That can be a terrible place to be in. It's hard to understand after reaching that point that life is still worth living. I have sympathy for people who are suicidal because I know how it feels to get that low. Your mind starts playing tricks on you, reaffirming the fact with every passing event that it's necessary for you to die. It doesn't matter why a person is feeling suicidal. I think it's important to validate their feelings and let them know that they aren't alone.

I am also not ashamed to admit that I do occasionally get angry when I think of people who have taken their own lives. Anger is a normal emotion for people to feel in response to a suicidal situation and I doubt people who experience it are bad people. It is simply their way of dealing with a tragedy. It's not "right" or "wrong" for anyone to feel anger or resentment after a suicide. You can't validate the feelings of the suicidal person and then invalidate the feelings of someone else just because the thought of suicide is very offensive to them. No feeling ever felt to any human being is invalid. They are all worthy of being felt.

What's important is that we remember we all might be in that dark place one day and need help. We are all human, and we all have the choice to suicide. As Tomk said, the best thing we can do for a suicidal person is listen. If you have a personal bias towards suicide and feel you may not be able to offer adequate support and help towards someone who needs it, then don't respond and make a already volitile situation worse. As said, anger and other negative emotions are perfectly normal reactions to a tragedy, but there is a time and place for you to express them in a healthy way. Suicidal people need our support and love. It's important that they know they will not be judged or condemned by expressing their feelings. Just lending a compassionate and sympathetic ear might save a life.

In the end though, and I strongly believe this, it is up to the suicidal person to make that choice, not anyone else. Only he or she can choose. As people who want to help suicidal people, we invest a lot of emotion and may end up feeling helpless and personally responsible if a person kills themselves. It's important to realize that nobody made that choice but the suicider themselves. We can do what we can, but in the end it is up to them.

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: MOTH]
    #4170646 - 05/13/05 11:56 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

im truly afraid my gf will end up doing herself in. she gets in these dramatic moods...im always albo t bring her out of them which is good. I think if i stay wil her and just roll witht he punches she will be ok. but its hard. sometime im just tired of dealing with her shit you know?

but i know if i left she would do it. she needs me. and im not fooling anyone...i need her just as bad. im not suicidal or anything...i just love her more that i could ever concive loving anything ever.

if she makes it past her b-day im pretty sure she will be fine. im under a lot of pressure myself tho...i feel like im responsible for keeping her from doing this. i need to go back to school and get a job any all that stuff...under lots of pressure to do that cause she wants kids and wnat to get married and these thing and i need to be able to support her. if you have ever been in a situation like this pm me...i would greatly apreciate to be able to tlak to anyone about this kind of stff that oculd offer me good advice.

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #4170749 - 05/13/05 12:15 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

A metaphor that I often use in stopping my co-dependant impulses:
If your loved one fell into quicksand, how could you best help them survive, by jumping in with them, or by finding a piece of firm ground to stand on while you extend a branch? You are not responsible for your girlfriend's suicidal impulses, and your love alone cannot save her. Once you extend the branch, it is up to her whether to grab on and escape the clutches of her emotional quicksand, or to continue to sink.

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

#4180850 - 05/16/05 12:24 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

i told my friend that i loved him and gave him a big hug till he stoped crying. Now he has been sober a month and has a buisness thats doing very well.

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #4181889 - 05/16/05 11:14 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

things are getting crazy. Shes been treating me like shit recently and i just cant take it. So i said something to her about it...next thing you know her dads fussing at her about some shit...and she goes for the gun. DAMN i had to physically stop her from doing the shit several times...never seen her actually grab the gun but she like to take the belt and choke herself. Everyone around her is completely blind to the help she needs. i think her dad is just to used to it by now cause it been going on since she was little.

her mom used to beat her and look her strait in the eye while chocking her and tell her she was the worste mistake she ever made. wouldent feed her...shes been raped several times by severeal people...her virginity was taken by date rape. Her former fiance died almost exatly a year ago. And she just had an abortion.

things are quite ruff.

--------------------

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#4182592 - 05/16/05 02:51 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I would suggest you urge her to get help immediantly.  She has to want it, though.

Sorry things are tough.  :heart:

OfflineKrazie_t
General Smokesalot
    #4183299 - 05/16/05 05:29 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

That post was deep :smile:

--------------------
I dont fight, I dont argue, I just whoop that fuckers ass w/ a bottle.

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: Krazie_t]
    #4185029 - 05/17/05 01:09 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

oh she wants it more than anything. we jsut dont know where to go really...not being able to afford a goos therapistand all. She lives with her dad and he makes over 30,000 a year so she doesent quilify for medicaid.

--------------------

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

#4185176 - 05/17/05 01:53 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Go to a hospital emergency room with her, and sign her in for 3 days of monitoring. They are legally obligated to take her, since suicidal ideation is considered a serious medical emergency.

You are going to hate yourself for the rest of your life if you let "we didn't have enough money" be the reason you didn't get her help before it was to late. There are ways to get the help you need that you are not aware of. Get her the help.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

Offlinejulien76
Stranger
    #4213737 - 05/24/05 10:48 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Interesting post.
To Vulture, shouldn't there be some sort of free clinic around your area? A help line? Even a good friend? It is rare to find a society that will abandon those in need simply because of lack of money.

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Loc: The Womb of Love
    #4229540 - 05/28/05 09:39 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I just want to thank you for this post. recently i had a stranger sit next to me. We started talking and she mentioned (as if it were nothing special) that she had recently just got out of hospital for attemtping to commit suicide. I really did'nt know what to say or how to respond, i was a little in shock i think, but i just listened, afterward she thanked me for lending an ear to her words, and said that she was feeling a whole lot beeter, and that beofre now she thought that there was'nt a human being alive that would listen or try to understand her. It was wierd that doing nothing and just listening helps so much in these cases, and i didnt even know i was doing the right thing, i was genuinelly speechless. Anyway thank you very much for the wise advise, i can totally relate.  :heart:

--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: egghead1]
    #4229894 - 05/28/05 12:10 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Egghead, I agree you did the right thing. Many people want out of life because they are never heard. Or everyone is telling them that the things they feel are not legitimate, or are wrong/sinfull, or are selfish.

I have had dealings with suicidal humans from time to time. My policy is to accept them unconditionally. I feel I cannot know what they are going through and could never say their feelings are not correct. I tell them I accept their decisions and back them 100% what ever they choose, and their decision has no effect on my respect or unconditional love I feel for them. Often that is when they tell me how much they want to live.  :thumbup: :heart:

--------------------

Offlinehenry21
Stranger
    #4282723 - 06/11/05 08:01 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

well...sucide isn't really the solution to problems. It were really so easy all of would have tried that as everyone including me and you have our share of problems in this big bad world.
I though firmly believe that whatever happens, haooens with god's consent.
Even if a person wanna die he can't kill himself/herself unless the allmighty allows..this is evident from the huge number of unsuccessfull suicide attempts that we see around us.

--------------------
Try diflucan
for fungal infections

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: henry21]
    #4283959 - 06/11/05 03:59 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Who knows what the solution to someone elses problems are? Your mistake is in judging other people through your own subjective experience. That cannot be done.

As to this God or Almighty, we might have totally divergent views on that also.

Make your own decisions and respect that. Let others make theirs, and let them decide if it's respectable. You cannot know.  :mushroom2:

--------------------

InvisiblePaulAtreides
Paw Paw DBK ...

#4305960 - 06/16/05 10:43 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Excellent read and great insite dude ....

I dont care how shitty your life might seem please seek loved ones advice and just try to sleep...

--------------------

WDYWFM?
I just want full access damnit
Rono he hate me...
I'm going to be reading every post that you make...and anything that even remotely offends me is going to get your ass banned. How you like 'dem apples asshole?

Edited by PaulAtreides (06/16/05 11:00 PM)

InvisibleCracka_X
Spiritual Dirt Worshipper
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Swamp
    #4326753 - 06/22/05 09:50 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

wow that's great that you would post this and I think it should be a sticky as well. I had a guy IM me from the shroomery asking me questions about growing. I was more than happy to tell him about my growing experience but guess that would be the best ice breaker you could think of when talking to someone on the shroomery for the first time.

Anyhow, he wrote these morbid, dark poems and I remember staying up pretty damn late because of his suicidal talks. He gave me his # once and wanted me to come down to where he lived or if he could come up and hang out w/ me. I didn't want any part of this. He was going through a rough time from what it seemed and I really felt bad for him. But he kept dragging on his depression and notion of suicide.

He hasn't been online for a while now. His family underwent a problem with the internet before but it's been a good while since I've seen him on... Reading this before the matter would've given me more sense to actually call authorities, since I figured that as a type of snitching and hopefully he'll get over it as long as I talk to him and get him interested into something that could take his mind off of his problem... but ehh..

Great post though, very good read.

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

InvisiblePaulAtreides
Paw Paw DBK ...

Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: Cracka_X]
    #4326842 - 06/22/05 10:27 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Very proud of you my friend :smile: :thumbup:

--------------------

WDYWFM?
Rono he hate me...
I'm going to be reading every post that you make...and anything that even remotely offends me is going to get your ass banned. How you like 'dem apples asshole?

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: PaulAtreides]
    #4375578 - 07/06/05 11:58 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

*Mod Edit: this forum and particularly this thread is not a place to joke around or make light of suicide.*

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Edited by EllemyshShade (07/09/05 09:08 PM)

InvisiblePaulAtreides
Paw Paw DBK ...

Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: Gomp]
    #4378681 - 07/07/05 02:44 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

We suffer everyday
What is it for
These crams of illusion
Are fooling us all
And now I am wearie
And I feel like I do

It's only you
Who can tell me apart
And it's only you
Who can turn my wooden heart

The size of our fight
It's just a dream
We've cruched everything
I can't see in this morning selfishly

Get some sleep when shit looks dim my friends:smirk: :thumbup:

--------------------

WDYWFM?
Rono he hate me...

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4384064 - 07/08/05 01:19 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Gomp said:
*Mod Edit: this forum and particularly this thread is not a place to joke around or make light of suicide.*

What's up Gomp? Feeling playfull today? Or.........

--------------------

Edited by EllemyshShade (07/09/05 09:10 PM)

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

#4384360 - 07/08/05 03:12 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

And/Or.........

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

#4389296 - 07/10/05 07:54 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

WHAT the fuck? the mods here need a make over..

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

#4389299 - 07/10/05 07:57 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Edited by EllemyshShade (07/10/05 09:08 AM)

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

#4389301 - 07/10/05 07:59 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

YOU IGNORANT FOOL!!!!

FGS...

YOU can't understand it, and its a joke??? GOD DAMN I WISH FOR YOUR closed mind..

what a power hamper!

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

#4389360 - 07/10/05 08:52 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Gomp -

This forum is not the place to be making jokes. If you read the rules, you will find that they are explicit about this.

Even if a normal person could understand it's a joke, things like "just go ahead and do it if you are serious" could end up contributing to someones suicide. Among other things, there are people who go through a stage when suicidal when they feel like they want to die and are either unsure about how to best do it, or just waiting for a few more good things in life to happen before killing themselves*, that are very serious (they are treated like heart attack victims in an emergency room i.e. highest priority). Shit like your jokes could push these people over the edge.

*I've been here, and I was serious at the time.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#4389374 - 07/10/05 09:05 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

tomk said:
Gomp -

This forum is not the place to be making jokes. If you read the rules, you will find that they are explicit about this.

That's right.

Gomp, if you want to joke about suicide, take it to OTD or the Pub.

OfflineJabbawaya

#4391866 - 07/11/05 09:31 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Excellent post, tomk! Everyone should read this.

--------------------

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: Jabbawaya]
    #4399306 - 07/13/05 10:33 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

""YOU can't understand it, and its a joke???""

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

#4399315 - 07/13/05 10:37 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

tomk said:
Gomp -

This forum is not the place to be making jokes.  If you read the rules, you will find that they are explicit about this. 

Even if a normal person could understand it's a joke, things like "just go ahead and do it if you are serious" could end up contributing to someones suicide.  Among other things, there are people who go through a stage when suicidal when they feel like they want to die and are either unsure about how to best do it, or just waiting for a few more good things in life to happen before killing themselves*, that are very serious (they are treated like heart attack victims in an emergency room i.e. highest priority).  Shit like your jokes could push these people over the edge.

*I've been here, and I was serious at the time.

thank you for misinterpreting my post, it looks as if you are payed to make up this crap..

find the original thread, and compare it to that statement of yours? you will find I never said it like that,...

But who cares.. My help is just that, I could not care less :wink:

Keep shining!  :heart:

:smile:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Offlinematjiz
Stranger
    #4412412 - 07/16/05 05:18 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

GOD loves all his children so y would he punish them if they committed suicide? i think suicide is just a permanent answer to a temporary problem. but i known may ppl who have wanted to kill themselves and jus talk to thm y. i dont personally my friends who were suicidal i never gave a fuck if they killed themselves.

OfflineJutboy
I guess I'm cool

Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: matjiz]
    #4426030 - 07/19/05 11:04 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

My two cents would be this....

what is the self? Find the suicidal person in yourself.....

The way you sit with that is exactly how you will sit with them.

I have a degree is psych and work at a mental hospital. I see quite a few suicidal patients (I work with children specifically)....I always find them extremely beautiful

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #4490609 - 08/03/05 03:33 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I've been a crisis intervention specialist in one of our nation's largest school systems for almost 20 years. I learned something from Ram Dass a long time ago which went something like this:

I know that you're gonna do whatever it is that you're gonna do, but I want you to know that I'm here for you if you want to talk.

Now this seems like nothing to some people at first, but there is some deep insight that Ram Dass was working with. Firstly, suicide is one of the the biggest control acts one can play (so are hostage-taking and rape). One assumes the power to end one's life, and this ego-trip should not be challenged, so saying that 'you're gonna do whatever...' acknowledges that self-empowerment that the suicidal person assumes. Secondly, by making oneself available to talk (and listen!) instead of taking self-destructive action, a choice is put out there. Frequently, the suicidal person believes that there IS no choice - death is the only option. Thirdly, taking a passive stance to communicate further acknowledges (in hypnotherapy we say it 'compounds the suggestion') that the suicidal person is in charge, has personal power, can choose to talk instead, is not powerless. In effect, by going with the suicidal person's flow, while at the same time expressing one's preference that [s]he not commit suicide, it also gives the suicidal person an opportunity to be compassionate to the helper and an 'excuse' as it were, to be compassionate to him/herself.

This kind of interaction is not to be entered into without a real appreciation of the potential consequences, and it is a fine line between acknowledging a potential suicide's personal power and having that person misunderstand you as encouraging him/her to commit suicide. Giving 'reasons' for living is not the strategy. The whole point is in the 'moment' of 'being there' as present, as aware and as compassionately as possible. Emotional drama is also not the strategy - it just reveals the 'helper's' own fears about death to the potential suicide.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleFungusMan
I81U812
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Everywhere
Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #4516413 - 08/09/05 10:31 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

*Mod edit: This thread is not the place for offensive comments.*

Edited by EllemyshShade (08/16/05 12:32 PM)

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: FungusMan]
    #4542031 - 08/16/05 11:23 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

:smile:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Offlinescotsmushie
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #4543976 - 08/16/05 08:53 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I would like to ask, how can you make a judgement.. of...

" think a lot of shroomerites are suicidal."

Why do you believe alot of people who specifically take shrooms, are suicidal?

To be honest, after seeing some truths without ego, it certainly hasnt made me contemplate suicide, but made me very uneasy about normal accepted behaviours of people on earth, knowing it would be rejected if I was to bring it up in say a workplace.

What do you think?

Also, do you think its the shrooms that makes them suicidal?

Offlineiamgod
just some dudesome where

Loc: Crooklyn, New York
Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: scotsmushie]
    #4690952 - 09/21/05 04:11 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I do not believe that mushrooms themselves will bring about suicidal thoughts or tendencies in people. What tomk was saying about " think a lot of shroomerites are suicidal." is that there are many people who visit this board, and in my experience, drug boards in general, who express suicidal feelings. You can search through past threads and you can be sure to find many about this topic. One that stands out in my mind that is recent is the thread by EllemyshShade.

There is a lot of compassion to be found here. This is one place that you can go to where you will not be silenced, and most probably will be listened to and helped. :mushroom2:

--------------------
If what you seek is truth then drugs can not offer truth. Drugs can offer the truth of drugs.......Altered states. Truth is not an altered state of mind. ~ Big Headed Nice Guy Who Loves You And Your Dog

http://www.inlibertyandfreedom.com/Flash/Think_It_Over.swf

OfflineJon
Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: scotsmushie]
    #4691339 - 09/21/05 05:33 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I believe perspective is a very big factor in suicide. For the moment, if one believes they somehow found the meaning of life and somehow took life meaningless. This I would think would be the back up excuse for a suicidal person putting aside the reason towards some conflict. I actually find it to be an anomaly that one has the ability to take their own life, where psychiatrists try a bit more to generalize the concepts of the human mind with their treatments = their answer. So its probably important to make note of the power of choices, because there are bad ones. But im even to assume that the wiser people that commit suicide over the fact that there was nothing to live for, the minute they fall off a building or the split second before the bullet penetrates the skull, they most likely contemplate the value of superficiality. Where is the virtue in whats superficial? But you think about it, its the little things in life that make it so worth living. No one can expect happiness 24/7, if anyone is then their probably cokeheads. I cant think of any way to talk someone out of suicide, if we are as unique as God tells us. But I believe there are alot of things the suicidal victem ignores, besides the fact I have no idea what he/she is going through. If we really are worth nothing more than rocks, why should that even effect us. In fact even for those who value themselves as Children of God, are we soo significant to actually sin against, the God almighty? Beyond infinity, beyond matter. We should really keep in mind that our mind can overcome anything, even more so with our spirits. Patience is a very important virtue indeed. Stay strong people, life is pretty unpredictable. Its time to decide wether or not you value your life, or your tendency.

OfflineBrakkie
Myself
Loc: Rotterdam... The City of ...
Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: Jon]
    #4714036 - 09/26/05 12:15 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I've been there! I've been suicidal! The best advice to anyone dealing with someone who's suicidal let them know that you love them! Let them know that you are always there for them 24/7. Let them know that they are not alone and there's a reason to stay alive... Whatever that reason is but don't be stupid enough to say: You should stay alive cause we gotta test more drugs... That would be a stupid reason :P Like yeah when we tested everything you can die then it ain't my prob anymore lol

--------------------
"This combines the good sides of every other drug with none of the bad. This is the ultimate luxury, the flawless wisdom-pleasure hit. More mellow and cozy than heroin, but you don't nod out. I feel more alive and wired and energetic than with speed, but not jangly. Its got the blast of cocaine, but it lasted ten times longer."

"Going to the grave without ever having a psychedelic experience is like going to the grave without ever having sex. That means you will die before even becoming an adolescent." -Terence Mckenna

OfflinePsiloman
Male
Loc: Europe
Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: Brakkie]
    #4718648 - 09/27/05 04:36 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Hmmmm... How to Respond to a suicidal person? Make them a martini dry (with an olive , joke that its shaken but not stirred) and put on some music and tell them,that since they are already contemplating to end their life ,it wouldnt hurt more to listen closely to the lyrics of a song.

The song?

"Suicide" by Bobby Gaylor

Here are the lyrics:

Animals don't have a choice.
If they're not happy with their place in the world... too bad.
They have to live the life they've been given.
Humans, on the other hand, don't have to.
We have a choice.
If you don't like your place in the world, you can get off anytime you want.
Suicide. That's right.
You don't like the way your life's going,
you don't like the way you are in the world,
anything around you, you can check out anytime you like.
Animals aren't allowed that thought
and believe me, if they were, they would use it.
There'd be a lot of dogs and cats, owned by assholes
that live in high-rises, diving out the windows.
Zebras... if they even had remotely that thought
would take a look at themselves and go, "What the F*#K!
Black & white in a green & brown world... this blows.
I'm just gonna jump in the river....
I don't have a thumb to work a gun or hold a knife
or even open a jar of pills.
I'm just gonna dive into the next lion's mouth.
Why even bother?"
Now, monkeys have the opposable thumb
so they could kinda do it the exact same way we do.
Now, there's a bunch of people that say,
"Oh, it's against the law".
Well, it's only against the law if you do a crappy job and get caught.
Other people say, "Oh, we should save them".
Yeah, well you know what?
Not everybody wants to be saved.
Not everybody should be saved.
And who are we to force our will upon them?
I mean, isn't that one of the joys about being a human?
Freedom of choice?
Now, it's not all bad.
Now, I'm not saying "Kill yourself".
But if you're gonna be an idiot and do it anyway,
it's no sweat off of my back.
There's a lot of good that could come from it.
A little bit of bad thrown in.

Some of the things:
A job will open...
An apartment will become available...
There'll be more air for me...
They say there's two girls for every guy - if you're a man,
there'll be four chicks for me...
There'll be more Ketel One vodka for me...
There'll be one less idiot in line at the bank who gets up to the window
without their F*#King slips filled out...
I won't ever have to go to the store to buy my favorite Salt & Vinegar Chips
and have the clerk point at you and say, "They bought the last bag"....
You won't help change the McDonald's sign to a Hundred Billion Served...
You'll never get AIDS...
You won't have to worry about calories ever...
No more, "Hey, does this make me look fat?"...
There'll be one less polluting human...
You won't have to recycle... There'll be one less car on the road...
There'll be more Ring Dings for me...
Fifty or so chickens' lives will be spared...
Your fingers won't ever get red from eating pistachios...
You won't be forced to visit your Grandparents on Sundays anymore...
No more church...
You'll be saying, "Hey, World - Kiss My Ass!"...
No more wet dreams about Supermodels...
No more Barry Manilow... Not for a few years anyway...
Wondering "Am I a loser?" will be a thing of the past...
Say good-bye to crappy Xmas presents from Aunts and Uncles...
You won't have to suffer through a Motley Crue reunion...
F*#K flossing and brushing...
You'll never lose sleep over a pregnancy scare...
Adios, Acne...
Worrying whether you fit in or not won't be on your brain...
See ya later, homework...
You'll never have to sit through another movie brought to you
by the creators of South Park...
School's out forever....
No more paying bills...
You won't have to do chores...

You won't be able to run over toads with the lawnmower though...
You'll also miss McDonald's French Fries...
Bugs Bunny...
The amazing electrifying feeling that surges through your body
when you kiss someone for the first time...
You won't be able to watch the letterbox director's cut of Jaws...
Candy...
Living above ground...
Pudding crust...
You'll miss the rush of getting your first apartment...
Getting to the point in your life where you can tell your parents to "F*#K Off!
I gotta make my own mistakes, you did"...
You'll miss sex - you'll miss thinking about it, looking for it,
sex by yourself, sex with a partner, sex with multiple partners...
No more summer nights that seem to go on forever... Roller coasters....
Naming your kid the name you always wanted...
Making a difference in the world...
You'll miss the experience and pleasure of Hallucinogenics...
Watching your neighbor's wife change clothes with her blinds open...
A lifetime of masturbating...
Watching your favorite team sweep the series...
Music, you will definitely miss music...
Trying to sneak into your house drunk - three hours past your curfew...
You'll miss the blaze and glory of the 4th of July fireworks...
The taste of Captain Crunch...
If you're a boy, you'll miss the feeling the first time you reach up a girl's shirt...
If you're a girl, the feeling the first time you reach down a boy's pants...
You'll miss your favorite coat...
Waffles with whipped cream and strawberries...
Beating your friends at video games...
You won't be around to see what shape and color
the new marshmallow in Lucky Charms will be...
You'll miss the feeling you get when reminiscing
about your first love - thirty years after the fact...
The joy of giving and receiving at Christmas... Skinny dipping...
Getting stoned, reading Green Eggs & Ham,
and eating like a horse that got loose in the grain bin...
Flying cars...

Hey, you were born, finish what you started!

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: Psiloman]
    #4721070 - 09/27/05 04:38 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

lol

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Offlinepsilocyb0rg
Psilocyborg
 User Gallery

Loc: New York
    #4721598 - 09/27/05 06:24 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Mushrooms, like all drugs, deplete chemicals in our simple human minds. these chemicals are essential to our mental health. when they get low, we can get very depressed. take all depression seriousely, especially by people who use drugs or drink eccesively

--------------------

Join the Mushroom Army at
www.themushroomarmy.com

Invisiblecateyes
 User Gallery
Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: psilocyb0rg]
    #4726754 - 09/28/05 06:21 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

very good post tomk...

peace

cateyes

Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: cateyes]
    #4874204 - 10/31/05 08:19 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

you know, in some cultures suicide is respected.

it would make sense that the same people that are so against suicide are probably also against abortion, since the two are related.

either way, it is a personal thing, and coming close to death is enlightening. perhaps a failed suicide attempt is just the right catalyst for someone to appreciate their life.

In the early 21st century, an average of 30,000 Japanese killed themselves every year.

the Church of Euthanasia says that people should kill themselves in order to reduce mankind's stress on the environment.

Quote:

- Suicide is the eighth leading cause of death for all U.S. men (Anderson and Smith 2003).
- Males are four times more likely to die from suicide than females (CDC 2004).

( http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/factsheets/suifacts.htm )

basically, without trying to sound frigid, suicide is usually just a cry for attention. the bad part is that if the suicidal person gets the attention they wanted from mentioning suicide, or attempting it.. this can actually create a system inside their mind where suicide = attention, so they may continue for quite a while.

since i dont have much experience with actually helping someone from beginning to end with suicidal tendencies, i would suggest getting them out of their normal environment and have them interact with more people, and get a hobby.

intense emotional or physical pain could very well lead someone into thinking suicide is the answer, and who are any of us to sit here and judge them, but it's more reasonable to view this as an inability to cope with stress, which could be from anything.. from a poor diet, to a poor circadian rhythm, to a bad mix of drugs, to a bad childhood, etc. etc.

in any situation, it is a mental outlook that not existing is better than existing in the current state. while i would hesitate to call it selfish, i would certainly call it ignorant, pathetic, and overall a bad idea.

regarding the statement that animals don't kill/hurt themselves to releive stress

Quote:

Octopuses can sometimes suffer from autophagy, or self-cannibalism. That is what is described as "eating its own arms." This is caused by stress. A stressed animal is not a healthy animal and is open to infection. It is believed that it is caused by a virus/bacteria which can manage to take hold on a stressed octopus. The biting is said to be due to irritation and biting alleviates the affected area.

Quote:

Some animals can become stressed or bored to the extent of self-mutilation. Some parrots, again an "intelligent" animal, will pluck all its own feathers out. This is very common in captive birds. It can be cured by stimulation. Give it toys, some company, a more natural aviary and it soon stops.

so basically, the same thing. a healthy, happy person would have no reason to commit suicide if it was not part of the culture. Culture being an external force, poor environment, societal pressure, emotional stress, poor diet, all these are external forces.

http://www.tonmo.com/articles/octosuicide.php

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Edited by kotik (10/31/05 08:26 AM)

Offlineismokeweed
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: kotik]
    #4970898 - 11/22/05 10:55 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

obviously icelander has never been depressed. you really can't understand what its like to feel that way unless you've been there. i wish people could be a little more considerate though. jesus.

Offlineseeker
Curator ofBarbaricRefinery

Loc: between Here and There
    #5118896 - 12/29/05 01:09 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

When responding to anyone please remember that you can't help an adult and trying will just piss them off. The best you can do is care for them and offer your assistance.
Personally I feel anyone who would try to help someone by calling the cops is a useless asshole. If you care then do it yourself. If you don't, leave'em the hell alone! Don't do things just because you think you should.

To anyone considering suicide I would offer this advice.

Go to a wooded area and find a secluded spot.
Don't take any food, water, drugs, or phones. Leave it in your vehicle you might want it latter.
Take off all your clothes, lay down on the ground and don't move. This is what death is like.
Stay like this until you've made your choice. You have about three days before the situation gets dire, so take your time.
If you decide you still wanna die then you don't even have to move as you've already begun the decaying process. No ropes, guns, razors, pills, or high ledges required.
If you choose to live then get up, go home, masturbate in the shower, put on some comfortable clothes, get something to eat, and think about what you wanna do next in life. Try laughing at the cosmic joke. Its here for our amusement.

"I ain't leavin'; I like breathin'." -Dr. Dre

--------------------
In a state of anarchy every individual is their own kingdom.

Thou art God (but so am i :wink:)

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
    #5118914 - 12/29/05 01:13 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Knowing a few formerly suicidal people, and being formerly suicidal myself, the best thing that I can think of to help would be to spend time with them.
If I get the feeling that one of my friends is feeling really down, I will take them out and go do something with them.. showing them that you care. This seems to help get their minds off of it.. in my experience anyways. Everyone is different.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

OfflineJackattack
Stranger

Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: eris]
    #5207481 - 01/21/06 06:45 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

The post was horrible what a sucidal person really wants is to be alone and away from society. They want to be alone until they have fixed their depression. They want solutions to their problems that's way they talk to people about it. Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain so its really not their fault for feeling suicidal.

OfflineJackattack
Stranger

Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: Jackattack]
    #5207493 - 01/21/06 06:51 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

DO NOT ask them if they are having suicidal thoughts. This will cause him to have more suicidal thoughts! The best you can do is act like he's just another average joe.

Edited by Jackattack (01/21/06 06:53 PM)

OfflineVeter
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5261449 - 02/04/06 01:10 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I have a friend who has come so close to suicide its scary. She is one of my closest friends and gets extremely depressed on occassion. She has actually written a suicide note and planned a time for her suicide, but was luckily stopped by some unplanned events.

I, however, have realized that I'm not helping. I find it extremely hard to not give advice and share stories. I feel like I may have made her a bit worried about telling me her thoughts about it anymore.

The advice in this thread is spot on. Be there to listen, and be a place for them to go to when they need help, don't pass judgment in anyway. Just offer support.

--------------------
Let the Demons have their place, if so, it's angels you'll create.

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Valleys of Willamette Flag
Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: Veter]
    #5261475 - 02/04/06 01:28 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Or try to help them have one thing go right in their life. I know that would ease my urge to drink antifreeze at the moment, (which I am considering lately) if one damn thing would go right.

OfflineJackattack
Stranger

Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: Maverick]
    #5268986 - 02/06/06 10:51 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Drinking Antifreeze would be a horrible painful way to die.

OfflineBobDole
Stranger
    #5302077 - 02/15/06 03:53 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

This is just my personal opinion: Deleted by Seuss Yadadimean?

Quote:

This forum is intended for serious discussion only, and off-topic or abusive posts will not be tolerated. When offering advice, please make an effort to be as helpful and supportive as possible. Remember, you're talking to real people with real problems and you need to take them seriously.

For a first post, you are not off to a very good start... -Seuss

Offlineshane
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: BobDole]
    #5344639 - 02/27/06 09:42 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

theres a difference between saying your suicidal and actually being it. id say about a quarter of all the people who claim to be suicidal really are. but i dont mean anyone specific.

--------------------
Statements concerning my personal actions and habits, and life in general are not to be taken seriously

go to familyradio.com

OfflineBrakkie
Myself
Loc: Rotterdam... The City of ...
Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: shane]
    #5344709 - 02/27/06 10:01 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Do you mean people that are looking for the attention or do you aim at those who claim to be suicidal but eventually are unable to do it...?

--------------------
"This combines the good sides of every other drug with none of the bad. This is the ultimate luxury, the flawless wisdom-pleasure hit. More mellow and cozy than heroin, but you don't nod out. I feel more alive and wired and energetic than with speed, but not jangly. Its got the blast of cocaine, but it lasted ten times longer."

"Going to the grave without ever having a psychedelic experience is like going to the grave without ever having sex. That means you will die before even becoming an adolescent." -Terence Mckenna

Offlineshane
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: Brakkie]
    #5798149 - 06/28/06 01:22 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

well, i guess its a mix. sometimes when you feel really shitty and lonely, its easy to say you wanna kill yourself, when you may feel like it, but dont plan on it, because their first reaction is obviously going to be "dont do it". its nice to know that people care sometimes, and when you say stuff like that, theyre gonna let you know how much they care. although, theres a big difference between trying to get that reaction by exaggerating a lot, and kinda subconsiously making it sound worse. but i also think a lot of people feel suicidal, but just cant bring themselves to do it, or cant get a grasp on the fact that theyre gonna be dead after they do it. i get that sometimes. it fucks up your confidence when you feel too worthless to live, but it fucks with you more when you cant man up enough to do it. that just doesnt help. but then killing yourself isnt gonna make your confidence any higher, for obvious reasons : ) thats just my opinion though.

--------------------
Statements concerning my personal actions and habits, and life in general are not to be taken seriously

go to familyradio.com

Edited by shane (06/28/06 01:31 AM)

OfflineMushroomCrazed
Mushroom Muncher
Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: shane]
    #5907175 - 07/27/06 10:25 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I would have to agree suicide is pretty low, and mushrooms should only open your eyes to how valueable life really is. To the guy who said shroomers are suicidal please stop taking them so that you don't give shrooms a bad name when you kill yourself(not to say i want you to)  Shrooms aren't like any other drug the make you see the god within. If you don't see that then your not doing the rite drug :smile: sorry but thats the way it is

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: MushroomCrazed]
    #5915132 - 07/30/06 02:26 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I think people who use mushrooms are a lot more likely to be suicidal. First of all, drug use in general appeals more to discontented people, who might be trying to escape from ordinary reality.

Second, the effects of psychedelics could very well increase suicidal ideation via the same mechanism they help people. It works like this. Psychedelics have the effect of breaking down your existing world view. Sometimes people have problems that are caused by a neurotic world view. For example, a person who is gay might have homophobia in their world view because of being raised catholic. In these sorts of cases, the opening up caused by psychedelics is very benefitial, because you escape the neurosis that is causing you harm. Mushrooms are particularly effective at targeting certain types of existential anxiety, around the area of fear of death. However, people dealing with existential anxiety do not commit very much suicide.

However, this same mechanism of boundry dissolving breaking down of world view can be harmful to someone who's anxietys and nuerosis are not at the existential level. For example, psychedelic mushrooms would be contradained in a case where a person is suffering from delusions that an old flame still loves them. What could happen is that the mushrooms dissolve the part of the worldview where to person feels their old flame still loves them, but not reach the deeper part of the worldview where a person feels they need their old flame to meet whatever unmet need they are repressing. In these sorts of cases, a person would go from having a worldview where they had a reason to live, to having a worldview where they have no reason to live, because of the exact same boundry dissolving properties that we value the mushrooms for.

Also, psychedelic mushrooms do not rebuild your world view for you. You can have an intense spiritual experience that completely shatters your preconcieved notions about the world, but no way to integrate that experience into a new, broader, more holistic and integral worldview. People who go through a spiritual experience like this might very well be at increased risk of suicide, because they no longer have anything to hold on to.

Also, many shroomery users are unintellegent about drugs, using any drugs they can get indiscriminately. These people are more likely to fall into patterns of abuse that could eventually lead to suicide. Many shroomery users are also at a stage in their life (young adulthood) that often causes such feelings as helplessness, powerlessness, etc. These negative feelings are often caused by poverty, indifference, etc. These negative feelings are just as likely to be amplified by psychedelic use as the positive energy we can feel from a psychedelic sunset or something.

If you think life is valuable, you should use all your logical powers to protect it. This means, among other things, not providing psychiatric advice you are not qualified to give. This also means not viewing your drug of choice through any sort of rose colored glasses. I think psychedelic mushrooms are great, and have a huge role to play in helping people self actualize, but I also think that caution is called for, precisely because life is so valuable.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#5916405 - 07/30/06 08:50 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I think people who use mushrooms are a lot more likely to be suicidal

What do you base this on? Not just the shroomery I hope. I haven't seen this to be true in a lifetime among psychedelic users.

Otherwise I tend to agree with much of this post.

--------------------

Offlinepod3
Stranger
 User Gallery
- [Re: tomk]
    #6125864 - 10/02/06 07:54 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

-

Edited by pod3 (10/26/06 09:24 AM)

Offlineshroom_me
Stranger
Male

Loc: Usa
Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: pod3]
    #6147154 - 10/08/06 05:36 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Hi Vulture I DEEPLY sympathize with you and what your going through I was so suicidal in the past that i spent in total 6 months in a Psych Ward. And many months in Recovery Housing. Is you Girlfriend a legal adult? if so she should be able to get Medicaid but she would have to move out of her fathers house( honestly that would probably be best anyways it sounds) Does she have anywhere else she could live? Even if she cannot get insured isn't it worth getting help anyways? When I was suicidal i was going to kill myself on my b-day(after all my hospitalization) and the only thing that stopped me was that i met my now girlfriend of 2 years, that saved me, and i quit some hard drugs i was taking (dxm,pills) TRUST ME VULTURE SHES SERIOUS GET HELP IMMEDIATELY!!

OfflineLuSiD9
reality is plastic
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Bowels of Canada
    #6212832 - 10/26/06 12:59 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I don't even know where to start with this, it may be long or it may not, i'm not sure... anyway, I guess I'll start by saying that this thread is a really good idea, and I hope that you have saved at least a few lives TomK. Suicide has always haunted my life, in the last 2 years, I have had 3 friends commit suicide one of them was extremely close, another I had to cut off the rope, I have also cut a friend off a rope just in time to save their life, they are still suicidal and it scares the shit out of me. I am permanently FUCKED from this, I can't even describe in human vocabulary what this is like... fuck man my stomach is churning, my hands are shaking, I'm getting dizzy, and it's getting hard to breath, and am fighting tears as I type this.... I just lost the fight.........*contain yourself man!*..... fuck where was I, oh yeah.... those are just the physical effects, my mind is whirling in a way that is indescribable and I probably wont go to work tomorrow because of this (yes, it is that bad) as a matter of fact I almost left work today because 'stairway to heaven' was the first song that played on the radio when I got there today (here come the water works again) this is the song they played at one of my best friends funerals (most recent, not even half a year ago) and again by a live band at his wake..... fuck I'm lost again, sorry this really fucking hard for me to type with the flashbacks/shakiness.... okay... after this last last one all of my remaining friends decided to get matching graveyards with the names, Bay, Day etc... tattooed on our left shoulders (I know this sounds morbid but it helps for some reason) we have even left a few blank ones because we know Justin was not the last... some good did come of this though, all of us have become a lot closer, and make sure we know we are there for each other. These last 3 years have been one hell of a wake up call for us all, watching a close friends head explode from a self inflicted shotgun blast will do that, I'm glad I wasn't there for that one to say the least, we also realize that any mention of suicide, the more subtle the more I worry, should be taken extremely seriously, the scariest thing is  knowing the most serious people probably wont even say anything (not always the case)........no idea where I was going with this again.....  right... this was only the last 2 years, I don't really want to go any farther back than this right now.   

As for the fuck ups who encourage people to do this (close to attempted murder in my books) or ridicule them or even crack jokes about this subject, especially in a thread like this, well... FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING SCUM FUCKS!!, if you were to say some of this shit in front of me you would probably end up with a broken jaw.

I imagine it would be hard to understand what it's like to be suicidal/severely depressed if you've never been there, so let me tell you, IT SUCKS, it's not like you want to be that way, it just happens.

sorry guys :confused:.... I am going to finish this tomorrow or something, my mind is fucking reeling right now and I'm getting to emotional plus I can't seem to figure out what it is I'm trying to say exactly... until then. LuSiD.

--------------------
Nothing is true, everything is permissible.

Our laws make law impossible; our liberties destroy all freedom; our property is organized robbery; our morality an impudent hypocrisy; our wisdom is administered by inexperienced or mal-experienced dupes; our power wielded by cowards and weaklings; and our honour false in all its points. I am an enemy of the existing order for good reasons.

Edited by LuSiD9 (10/26/06 01:08 AM)

Offlinelysergicide
Aurora Borealis
Male

Loc: 41.8861° N, 12.4851° E
Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: LuSiD9]
    #6263354 - 11/08/06 08:48 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

This is interesting.

I am very suicidal. I think about death all the time. A lot of the time, my deepest desire is just to be dead and rotting in the ground. For a person with such a positive and optimistic outlook on life, who always pushes to be stronger and more understanding, sometimes I just want to be dead.

And I don't want to be dead. Killing ones self, I think, is the biggest mistake anybody could ever commit. Life is filled with so much opportunity and beauty, but sometimes I just feel so smothered that my only way to vent is to think about dying.

Death should really only be reserved for when this is all said and done. When that is, is up to you.

OfflineCaRnAgECaNdYS
Tool's groupie
Female User Gallery

Loc: Billy Howerdel's closet Flag
Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: lysergicide]
    #6263487 - 11/08/06 09:35 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I found this helpful. Not for me, I am not suicidal. Helpful to those who may be.

If you are thinking about suicide... read this first

If you are feeling suicidal now, please stop long enough to read this. It will only take about five minutes. I do not want to talk you out of your bad feelings. I am not a therapist or other mental health professional - only someone who knows what it is like to be in pain.

I don’t know who you are, or why you are reading this page. I only know that for the moment, you’re reading it, and that is good. I can assume that you are here because you are troubled and considering ending your life. If it were possible, I would prefer to be there with you at this moment, to sit with you and talk, face to face and heart to heart. But since that is not possible, we will have to make do with this.

I have known a lot of people who have wanted to kill themselves, so I have some small idea of what you might be feeling. I know that you might not be up to reading a long book, so I am going to keep this short. While we are together here for the next five minutes, I have five simple, practical things I would like to share with you. I won’t argue with you about whether you should kill yourself. But I assume that if you are thinking about it, you feel pretty bad.

Well, you’re still reading, and that’s very good. I’d like to ask you to stay with me for the rest of this page. I hope it means that you’re at least a tiny bit unsure, somewhere deep inside, about whether or not you really will end your life. Often people feel that, even in the deepest darkness of despair. Being unsure about dying is okay and normal. The fact that you are still alive at this minute means you are still a little bit unsure. It means that even while you want to die, at the same time some part of you still wants to live. So let’s hang on to that, and keep going for a few more minutes.

Start by considering this statement:

“Suicide is not chosen; it happens
when pain exceeds
resources for coping with pain.”

That’s all it’s about. You are not a bad person, or crazy, or weak, or flawed, because you feel suicidal. It doesn’t even mean that you really want to die - it only means that you have more pain than you can cope with right now. If I start piling weights on your shoulders, you will eventually collapse if I add enough weights... no matter how much you want to remain standing. Willpower has nothing to do with it. Of course you would cheer yourself up, if you could.

Don’t accept it if someone tells you, “that’s not enough to be suicidal about.” There are many kinds of pain that may lead to suicide. Whether or not the pain is bearable may differ from person to person. What might be bearable to someone else, may not be bearable to you. The point at which the pain becomes unbearable depends on what kinds of coping resources you have. Individuals vary greatly in their capacity to withstand pain.

When pain exceeds pain-coping resources, suicidal feelings are the result. Suicide is neither wrong nor right; it is not a defect of character; it is morally neutral. It is simply an imbalance of pain versus coping resources.

You can survive suicidal feelings if you do either of two things:

(1) find a way to reduce your pain, or (2) find a way to increase your coping resources. Both are possible.

Now I want to tell you five things to think about.

You need to hear that people do get through this -- even people who feel as badly as you are feeling now. Statistically, there is a very good chance that you are going to live. I hope that this information gives you some sense of hope.

Give yourself some distance. Say to yourself, “I will wait 24 hours before I do anything.” Or a week. Remember that feelings and actions are two different things - just because you feel like killing yourself, doesn’t mean that you have to actually do it right this minute. Put some distance between your suicidal feelings and suicidal action. Even if it’s just 24 hours. You have already done it for 5 minutes, just by reading this page. You can do it for another 5 minutes by continuing to read this page. Keep going, and realize that while you still feel suicidal, you are not, at this moment, acting on it. That is very encouraging to me, and I hope it is to you.

People often turn to suicide because they are seeking relief from pain. Remember that relief is a feeling. And you have to be alive to feel it. You will not feel the relief you so desperately seek, if you are dead.

Some people will react badly to your suicidal feelings, either because they are frightened, or angry; they may actually increase your pain instead of helping you, despite their intentions, by saying or doing thoughtless things. You have to understand that their bad reactions are about their fears, not about you.

But there are people out there who can be with you in this horrible time, and will not judge you, or argue with you, or send you to a hospital, or try to talk you out of how badly you feel. They will simply care for you. Find one of them. Now. Use your 24 hours, or your week, and tell someone what’s going on with you. It is okay to ask for help. Try:

* Send an anonymous e-mail to =The Samaritans
* Call 1-800-SUICIDE in the U.S.
* Teenagers, call Covenant House NineLine, 1-800-999-9999
* Look in the front of your phone book for a crisis line
* Call a psychotherapist
* Carefully choose a friend or a minister or rabbi, someone who is likely to listen

But don’t give yourself the additional burden of trying to deal with this alone. Just talking about how you got to where you are, releases an awful lot of the pressure, and it might be just the additional coping resource you need to regain your balance.

Suicidal feelings are, in and of themselves, traumatic. After they subside, you need to continue caring for yourself. Therapy is a really good idea. So are the various self-help groups available both in your community and on the Internet.

Well, it’s been a few minutes and you’re still with me. I’m really glad.

Since you have made it this far, you deserve a reward. I think you should reward yourself by giving yourself a gift. The gift you will give yourself is a coping resource. Remember, back up near the top of the page, I said that the idea is to make sure you have more coping resources than you have pain. So let’s give you another coping resource, or two, or ten...! until they outnumber your sources of pain.

Now, while this page may have given you some small relief, the best coping resource we can give you is another human being to talk with. If you find someone who wants to listen, and tell them how you are feeling and how you got to this point, you will have increased your coping resources by one. Hopefully the first person you choose won’t be the last. There are a lot of people out there who really want to hear from you. It’s time to start looking around for one of them.

Now: I’d like you to call someone.

And while you’re at it, you can still stay with me for a bit. Check out these sources of online help.

Additional things to read at this site:

How serious is our condition? ...“he only took 15 pills, he wasn’t really serious...” if others are making you feel like you’re just trying to get attention... read this.

Why is it so hard for us to recover from being suicidal? ...while most suicidal people recover and go on, others struggle with suicidal thoughts and feelings for months or even years. Suicide and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Recovery from grief and loss. ...You would be in good company... many suicidal people have recently suffered a loss.

The stigmata of suicide that prevents suicidal people from recovering: we are not only fighting our own pain, but the pain that others inflict on us... and that we ourselves add to. Stigma is a huge complicating factor in suicidal feelings.

Resources about Depression ...if you are suicidal, you are most likely experiencing some form of depression. This is good news, because depression can be treated, helping you feel better.

Do you know someone who is suicidal... or would you like to be able to help, if the situation arises? Learn what to do, so that you can make the situation better, not worse.

Handling a call from a suicidal person ...a very helpful ten-point list that you can print out and keep near your phone or computer.

A Helpful guide to someone who may be suicidal ...a helpful guide, includes Suicide Warning Signs.

Other online sources of help:

The Samaritans - trained volunteers are available 24 hours a day to listen and provide emotional support. You can call a volunteer on the phone, or e-mail them. Confidential and non-judgmental. Short of writing to a psychotherapist, the best source of online help.

Depression support group online: Walkers in Darkness - Please note: this is a very big group, but amidst all the chatter (and occasional bickering), it is possible to find someone who will hear you and offer support.

Psych Central has a good listing of online resources for suicide and other mental health needs.

Still feel bad? These jokes might relieve the pressure for a minute or two.

Ignore the bashers and DO NOT
reply or respond to any negative comments.

*Please note that I have not read any of the posts in this thread. This is copied from another site.

--------------------

The secret to being funny is to say smart things stupidly, or is it stupid things smartly? Whatever..it's not rocket surgery...or something like that.

Offlinemerge_oners
Very Experiancedmakes perfect!
Male User Gallery

Loc: in a very confused societ...
Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: CaRnAgECaNdY]
    #6299399 - 11/19/06 01:42 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

well, i like the article but you cant really say shroomies are all suicidal........... because that is definatly untrue, but other than that suicide is a death caused by serious depresssion of a person wich leads to self execution, it is sad but in a way part of life, there is just some of us who dont think like each other we are all different wich makes it impossible to know what other and how others feel by just a guess of something that happened to you in your life, life is like a story of a person (you) it is being told 24/7 some people may want to end their story in a way meant to be for that person it is just their social role in life, but you may not understand that because you are not able to think like the other human with that gift. some people just happen to kill them selves because they lack love or have a broken heart that they feel has no cure, so they pull the trigger.

--------------------
Can you help me figure out why humanity is here? cause im on a mission to find out!

Offlinemerge_oners
Very Experiancedmakes perfect!
Male User Gallery

Loc: in a very confused societ...
Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: merge_oners]
    #6299442 - 11/19/06 02:03 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

btw those jokes on your link are hilarious as hell! jesus christ that funny got to church bloopers omfg!

--------------------
Can you help me figure out why humanity is here? cause im on a mission to find out!

Offlinefurniture
Stranger
    #6329568 - 12/03/06 04:23 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

good info. about a month ago my x-girlfriend showed at my place and slit her wrist with a carpet knife. people that are suicidal tend to hint about what the may do. so my question is when you cant help the person anymore, what is the next step?

Offlinefurniture
Stranger
Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: MushroomCrazed]
    #6329569 - 12/03/06 04:28 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

take a minute and put your self in his situation

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada Flag
Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: Maverick]
    #6329595 - 12/03/06 05:26 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Lay off the antifreeze man. I tried to kill myself when i was in my L8 20's, all you do is hurt the one's you left behind....Life is short enough as it is, make the most of it :smile:

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

InvisibleVoid_Dragon
dragon

#6945708 - 05/21/07 02:41 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

The answer is everyone making an effort to be nice to people and themselves everyday. One nice person can change someones life.

InvisiblePulsating
Björk's Disciple
 User Gallery

Loc: Space & Time
Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: Void_Dragon]
    #7017382 - 06/06/07 10:00 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Use a process to bring them to present time (now) because a suicidal person is, I am sure you will find, living in the past (consumed with something in the past - same thing)...and the past exists only in the mind.

So, use a process to bring them (and their attention) to now and the exterior world instead of the past/interior world.

--------------------
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ― Plato

"I communicate, therefore I am" - I

"Nature is ancient, but surprises us all." - Björk

Invisiblevitadura
Dream Seeker

Loc: Here, Now Flag
Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: Pulsating]
    #7094164 - 06/26/07 09:56 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

The ignorance of human beings inceasantly amazes me.

When a person confronts another with overflowing emotions and thoughts of despair, one, by nature, should not refuse to listen, help, or comfort the person simply because one believes suicide is wrong. That is like a doctor refusing to cure a gay man or a lesbian with AIDS simply because the doctor believes homosexuality is wrong. This just isn't acceptable in today's society (or at least it shouldn't be), as it is a completely ignorant act.

Thanks for the post, tomk. I wish they had told us this in health class instead of "Tell a teacher if your friend wants to slit his/her wrists." It would have been far more effective and would've helped me deal with myself as well as my peers throughout middle and high school.

--------------------
"You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here." -Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Denver, Colorado
    #7628278 - 11/12/07 10:33 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

i found my one of my best friends one and a half years ago, hangin from the rafters in the attic of our rental.

if only i had listened to him, he would say shit like "I am going to hell." constantly. I would just blow it off b/c he would act like that all the time.

the last night I saw him he was watching that god awful movie "the Passion." he said " I have a diease and it cant be cured." I rolled my eyes and went to bed.

this being said, i dont blame myself, i dont think it would have been stopped. but I wished i could have listened a little more to his problmes...

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: MrBump]
    #7631771 - 11/13/07 05:40 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

It's definitely difficult to know how to approach people that far deep into their heads, even if they are friends.  :heart:

Offlinedstark
Manifesting Minds
Male User Gallery

#10652209 - 07/10/09 10:50 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

i know this is old threat, but i want to say thanks to the author, very well written!!

--------------------
What is a mind, if not something to be messed with? What is consciousness, if not a state to be altered?

~I Feel
:mushroom2:
at Home~

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: dstark]
    #10652793 - 07/10/09 12:30 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I'm the ghost writer. Back from the dead.

--------------------

OfflineLuSiD9
reality is plastic
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Bowels of Canada
Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: Void_Dragon]
    #10653000 - 07/10/09 01:15 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Void_Dragon said:
One nice person can change someones life.

--------------------
Nothing is true, everything is permissible.

Our laws make law impossible; our liberties destroy all freedom; our property is organized robbery; our morality an impudent hypocrisy; our wisdom is administered by inexperienced or mal-experienced dupes; our power wielded by cowards and weaklings; and our honour false in all its points. I am an enemy of the existing order for good reasons.

Anonymous #1

#12577191 - 05/17/10 02:22 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

How judgemental you are and out of touch.  Pride goeth before the fall.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #12578335 - 05/17/10 11:03 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

:lol:

--------------------

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #12582547 - 05/17/10 10:44 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Anonymous said:
How judgemental you are and out of touch.  Pride goeth before the fall.

Dude, why the fuck did you bump this thread?

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: How to respond to a suicidal person [Re: MrBump]
    #12588347 - 05/18/10 08:13 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

fuck em' in the ass

OfflineGrizzlysnizzly
Human Paraquat

#17922548 - 03/08/13 12:50 AM (11 years, 24 days ago)

Not much you can do ultimately its up to them

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale