Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: How to ask a farmer to hunt? [Re: flowstone]
    #4137851 - 05/05/05 01:35 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

hehehe, im just joking around
i wouldnt say any of that to a farmer.

:smile:

night hunting has been discussed here manytimes already:

the moonlight is perfect enough,
the mushrooms kinda glow in the dark.
flashlights are not a good idea,
because it makes you easily spotted.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleflowstone
blustering

Loc: precious
Re: How to ask a farmer to hunt? [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #4137873 - 05/05/05 01:39 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I'll buff up and refine my keyword search for previous threads on said topic.
But while I am here, if there IS no moonlight, are you just plain out of luck?

--------------------
these long agonizing months without you...have been long and agonizing..
"War Doesn't Decide Who's Right... It Only Decides Who's Left."

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
    #4137894 - 05/05/05 01:44 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

about 6 years ago my friend and i went night hunting near a cemetery (the field was right behind it)  i got him to open up the gates to the field and i drove my car through it with the headlights on while he was sitting on the hood looking for shrooms.  we were both out of our minds at the time but there wasn't anyone around for a mile at least so it was relatively safe as there is only one cop in the whole town we were in.  i certainly dont recommend driving your car through a field at night to hunt but it sure as hell made for some good memories later.  and yes, we did find more than plenty to trip on that night  :tongue2:

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

InvisibleMovingTarget

Loc: temporary
Re: How to ask a farmer to hunt? [Re: SuperD]
    #4137956 - 05/05/05 01:56 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Where I used to live, a neighbour owned all the surrounding land, which included open grasing for cows and sheep.  The cows and sheep in that area wondered everywhere, no fields or anything.

Anyway this guy is like the healithiest 80 year old I've ever seen, and he likes the shrooms, and his whole land gets covered in shrooms in autumn.  He told me the best places to pick em :laugh: 

This year is diferent however, new location big farming area with fields.  This ain't America so i'll most likely not seek permission before hunting fields.

--------------------

Edited by MovingTarget (05/05/05 01:59 PM)

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
    #4138464 - 05/05/05 03:43 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

SuperD said:
about 6 years ago my friend and i went night hunting near a cemetery (the field was right behind it)  i got him to open up the gates to the field and i drove my car through it with the headlights on while he was sitting on the hood looking for shrooms.  we were both out of our minds at the time but there wasn't anyone around for a mile at least so it was relatively safe as there is only one cop in the whole town we were in.  i certainly dont recommend driving your car through a field at night to hunt but it sure as hell made for some good memories later.  and yes, we did find more than plenty to trip on that night  :tongue2:

You got lucky. One of my dumbass friends, while very messed up on oxicodone and very drunk, decided to pull into a nearby field in his 80's mustang (dont remember exact year). His first mistake was driving in his condition, his second mistake was that he forgot taht there was a fence where he tried to enter the field. Next thing i know, he calls me up and tells me his car is stuck in the field and he cant move because the grass is too slick. I go and try to help him without any luck, so we decide to leave the car. The next day, the farmer finds his car and calls the cops. Strangely, the cop that was sent to investigate knew my friend, so was inclined to help him out in this sticky situation. My friend told the cop that the car was stolen (he lives in "little mexico"  :tongue: ), and he believed him!
A close fuckin' call if you ask me...

Invisibleflowstone
blustering

Re: How to ask a farmer to hunt? [Re: Lysergic_Milkman]
    #4139943 - 05/05/05 10:15 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Crazy stories ! I've had my share fair of bad shroom hunting. What is really bad though, going under dark at 3am where you have already been caught once? This place is out of the beaten path, and I could park on the side of the road and jump and search quick.

I have no idea about cubensis fields in Georgia. Let us say, in late June last year, I found a field that produced about two pounds wet with a quick run( three minutes with two people!). If we had two hours to pick the field, I bet we could have had much more, and cleaner specimens.
So anyways, we never went back to that field that year, but I knew they were out. I wonder if a field is that loaded one year, can it produce even half as well the second year?
If so, I think it might be worth the risk of a well planned totally sober mindful shroom hunt at night.

The odds would be small to get caught, and I am still working on an exact plan. I would probably stake out the property to make sure everything would be fine at night and make a plan, maybe even use binoculars to see if any obvious cameras filming the field are in sight.
Also, there may even be a light pole lighting this field, making searching easy( and easy spotted as well-.) It is a small area, maybe a 300' by 400' field... I'm still in the works! If your going to hunt you need a plan, and you need to weigh the odds! Most of the time I get permission to search so this issue is not a problem.

--------------------

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
    #4140017 - 05/05/05 10:34 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

<<You got lucky.>>
Maybe so..i'm certainly much more low key about my activities nowadays thanks to a legal situation i'm in at the moment  :rolleyes:

<<maybe even use binoculars to see if any obvious cameras filming the field are in sight.>>

unless your field happens to be the front property of some expensive mansion or is adjacent to a wal-mart parking lot or something, i doubt you'll find any cameras filming nearby.  but there's certainly nothing wrong with being overly cautious about small details.  and yes, the same fields do have the capability to produce a lot each year.  three years straight i bagged half a Glad trashbag full after a good rain from this particular field about 45 mins from where i live.  on my way back home  after one hunt, i had a trashbag full in my trunk and i was headed down the highway when i noticed a state trooper was parked on the side of the road.  after i passed him, he pulled on to the road and i started to panic a bit.  he was behind me for no more than 1-2 minutes and he parked back on the side of the road next to some construction going on.  that gave my heart a good workout for a few minutes.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Invisibleflowstone
blustering

#4140615 - 05/06/05 01:45 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Don't ever sweat the troopers. And don't give them a reason to pull you over. The man is always trying to hold a free spirit down, one who freely seeks to share the knowledge of nature. That is why people hunting mushrooms for the wrong reasons get pulled over. Not only for the wrong reasons but with wrong intentions, can create two sides.

As I have seen with the situation, MOST farmers will not care. Most of the time I " Ask to search their field for mushrooms" and get the go ahead.
Asking is all in your personality, your threat level. Be easy, be intelligent and have answers ready. Admitting to hunting magic mushrooms is even OK on some instances, as many farm owners love the land and know its bounties. But stay thin when they don't ask you questions.
Memorizes the lines " I will close all fences behind myself and stay away from the animals. When you have permission, always go a through the gate( especially if the field is roadside), because often peoples jumping fences can cause someone to call the police, or a police itself to see you. This can raise alarm and even if you have permission you are pretty much done.
This is all coming from a person hunting within a county that is heavily copped. I would love to hit up Ponce De Leon Florida with the springs and wildlife and I would guess Gulf coast off the house!
All in all, I find horse owners more open to letting people search, because they often own smaller amounts of land and can be an eye.

I bet a lot of farmers who don't ask questions and let you search know what grows there, and trust that you will always ask before hunting and respect their land. The unspoken agreement between hunter and landowner. A good line is to always offer first pick of the bounty to landowner( if they so wish. Which, out of all the times I offered, none have taken)
Just be smart, and don't hunt mushrooms to sell as drugs and you will be OK. You will find them in an amount pertaining to your ability, and will roll in the lottery :0

--------------------

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Trusted Identifier
    #4140931 - 05/06/05 05:12 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I wonder how I would feel as a farmer. I think I've seen plenty of punks in my field over the years. Now, here's a guy who's atleast polite enough, respects me and my propety enough to ask me for permission.
The answer is in my favor.
If it were you, would you rather have them out ruining your fence (again) and fooling with your stuff and sneaking around your property at odd hours?
That's a bet I'm willing to make :wink:

Happy mushroomin

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: How to ask a farmer to hunt? [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #4140946 - 05/06/05 05:18 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Well, then again, some local kids might find it more exciting to sneak in and pick, give 'em something to trip to, sneaking and/or getting chased etc...
all the more reason for me to consider  :tongue2:

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
    #4143774 - 05/06/05 07:05 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

flowstone said:
I wonder if a field is that loaded one year, can it produce even half as well the second year?

Yep, even better. The previous season's haul usually has a positive effect on the next season's.
The nutrient supply is constantly recycled by the cattle so there is no need to worry about nutrient suckage.

Quote:

flowstone said:
maybe even use binoculars to see if any obvious cameras filming the field are in sight.

You are one PARANOID shroomer. but theres on harm in that.

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: How to ask a farmer to hunt? [Re: zSDMF]
    #4147645 - 05/07/05 04:25 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Sound advice from both.
I wanted to make one note on this; Mycology doesn't have to be your major field of study. Tell him you are going to school for your regular trade: Carpenter builder, machine, computer, whatever.  And this is your science arts class. Sounds good, most farmers don't know anything about college courses, maybe a small minority.
But, dress apropriately (like a human) and be positive. This is bound to open a conversation.
I love it :evil:

happy hunting...

--------------------

OfflineIvL
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: How to ask a farmer to hunt? [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #5695688 - 05/31/06 04:51 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

tell us if u find anything? Always happy to hear hunting stories... :crazy2:

OfflineFeelers
Anti-Myth-Rhythm-Rock-Shocker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of Oz
Re: How to ask a farmer to hunt? [Re: IvL]
    #5695754 - 05/31/06 05:04 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Hey IvL sorry to play bastard yet again :laugh:

Check the date on the threads - the last post was a year ago 05/07/05. Good rule of thumb is only reply to the last 2 pages of the hunting forum so we dont ever have to re-live that shocking early nineties period more than once a lifetime.

Good to see your using the search function though. I have a bit more respect for newbies who add a photo right away - shows that you'll will probably stick around instead of asking - "I found a brown mushroom - is it sweet to eat it" before mysteriously leaving the boards forever.

InvisibleYESSUP
In The Thick Of It
 User Gallery

Loc: SE Tex
Re: How to ask a farmer to hunt? [Re: Feelers]
    #5695865 - 05/31/06 05:38 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Feelers said:
Hey IvL sorry to play bastard yet again :laugh:

Check the date on the threads - the last post was a year ago 05/07/05. Good rule of thumb is only reply to the last 2 pages of the hunting forum so we dont ever have to re-live that shocking early nineties period more than once a lifetime.

Good to see your using the search function though. I have a bit more respect for newbies who add a photo right away - shows that you'll will probably stick around instead of asking - "I found a brown mushroom - is it sweet to eat it" before mysteriously leaving the boards forever.

Hey I remember this thread!

--------------------
Gut Feeling leads to anxiety, Anxiety leads to fear, Fear leads to anger,And anger leads to regret.

Offlinejustin041884
Mysterious Gunz
Male
Loc: Whidbey Island, WA
Re: How to ask a farmer to hunt? [Re: Woodsmen]
    #6187845 - 10/19/06 08:22 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I just got busted today roaming around someones field...Luckily the house down the road was for sale so we played it off saying we were interested in buying the house and we were just checking out the property...the lady wrote down out license plate number and had an attitude but luckily we didnt have any bags or anything in our hands when she walked up on us, we had just got there about 10 mins earlier...kind of a hairy situation but i deff could have gone worse

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag