Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinetheocean06
Yeah, I've donefour already...

Rolling Stone Pickard Article
    #3789604 - 02/16/05 02:22 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Hello, I am looking for an article out of the Rolling Stone 872 July 5 2001 issue.  It was about Pickard and the whole lab bust, and had interviews with people talking about him.  Does anyone have a copy of it that they could scan or a link to the article?  I haven't had any luck finding it, only stuff on Stevie Nicks.  I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you :sun:

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleblissedout
Male User Gallery

Loc: Yonder Flag
Re: Rolling Stone Pickard Article [Re: theocean06]
    #3789756 - 02/16/05 03:03 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

You talking about this bust? That sucks for those guys!!

--------------------

:murray:

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Re: Rolling Stone Pickard Article [Re: blissedout]
    #3789782 - 02/16/05 03:13 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Evidence presented during the trial established that in the history of the DEA, there have only been four seizures of complete LSD labs, three of which involved Pickard and Apperson, including the lab in Mountain View in 1998.

Thats good to know. The family protects its own.

Free Pickard - stumbled upon this site.... eh... interesting, but doesn;t move me.

Edited by GratefulJim (02/16/05 03:19 PM)

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rogue's Island, USA
Re: Rolling Stone Pickard Article [Re: Jim]
    #3790069 - 02/16/05 04:17 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Pickard got two consecutive life sentences because he was manufacturing LSD? Please tell me there were multiple murders, rapes, and treason involved in the case to warrant such a sentense. *sigh*

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Visit the Psychonautical Society

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
Re: Rolling Stone Pickard Article [Re: Basidiocarp]
    #3790197 - 02/16/05 04:42 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3790253 - 02/16/05 04:51 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I read that at my college library.
go to a college library - most will have it.

Offlinetheocean06

Re: Rolling Stone Pickard Article [Re: tomk]
    #3790444 - 02/16/05 05:24 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Thank you for the link, but I am specifically looking for that Rolling Stone article.

bi0, your college library has RS issues going back to 2001? I guess I'll give that a try.

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#3791114 - 02/17/05 12:02 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

www.web.archive.org might have it.

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

Edited by GratefulJim (02/17/05 12:02 AM)

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3791116 - 02/17/05 12:02 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

yeah, they probably have the last 15+ years of all sorts of magazines - RS included - as do most big libraries.

I'll see if I can find it again...
and post a scan of it or something.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3791126 - 02/17/05 12:05 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

what's the article's title?

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Re: Rolling Stone Pickard Article [Re: Vvellum]
    #3791167 - 02/17/05 12:18 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The Life & Times of the King of LSD

--------------------

afoaf said:

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#3791170 - 02/17/05 12:19 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

afoaf said:

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#3803079 - 02/19/05 11:30 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

still want it? I will type it up if you really want it and cant find it. It is long as fuck...... if anyone wants it I will type it up and post it.

Jim

--------------------

afoaf said:

Offlinetheocean06

#3803088 - 02/19/05 11:34 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Would you do that?  I know that would take a long ass time to type up, usually those articles are quite a few pages long.  I would appreciate that GratefulJim, really appreciate it :hug:

--------------------

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#3803101 - 02/19/05 11:40 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Ill work on it in sections. Ill start now.

--------------------

afoaf said:

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #3803143 - 02/19/05 12:01 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

here it is...now gimme 5 shrooms :smile: oh wait this is only the first half of the article...enjoy anyway

FOR MORE THAN TWO DECADES, AUTHORITIES BELIEVE, LEONARD Pickard WAS A MAJOR PLAYER IN THE LSD UNDERGROUND. NOW SITTING IN A FEDERAL PRISON, HE TELLS HIS TALE FOR THE FIRST TIME.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Late last year a new prisoner arrived at the Shawnee County Jail in Topeka, Kansas -- a polite beanstalk of a man from the San Francisco Bay Area who stood out among the petty criminals who make up the majority of Shawnee?s inmate population. He spoke in a rapid whisper, practiced yoga, meditated in his cell and read difficult books on mathematics and physics. Along with his prison blues, he wore sandals with socks. A princely mane of silver hair fell almost to his shoulders.

The man?s name was William Leonard Pickard. A few days before on November 7th, 2000, the fifty-five year old Harvard graduate had been arrested not far from an abandoned Atlas E missile silo outside Topeka and charged with being one of the busiest manufacturers of LSD in the world, a chemist with the means to cook up acid by the kilo. If the government's charges prove true, this would make him one of the high priests of acid manufacture, part of a clandestine fraternity that probably numbers no more than a dozen worldwide.

Acid cookers are notoriously hard to catch. A lab can be set up quickly and broken down easily, and it only takes about ten days to perform a series of complicated chemical reactions that produce a sizable batch of the drug - enough, once diluted and dipped onto blotter paper, for hundreds of thousands of hits. The trickiest part of the process is obtaining the precursor chemical known as ergotamine tartrate, or ET. Heavily regulated. In this country, where it is used to treat migraines, ET is often smuggled in from Eastern Europe where sale of the compound is less restricted.

Acid manufacturing might be one of the last criminal enterprises where those involved are motivated by more than the prospect of making money. Even now, more than three decades on from the Summer of Love, to cook acid is to perform a sacrament, a public service. Members of this small band operate with great stealth and are rarely informed on by their associates, even those facing long prison terms. The Drug Enforcement Administration has not taken down an LSD lab since 1991.

The case of U.S v. Pickard is just the latest, and perhaps final, chapter in the strange and often fantastic tale of William Leonard Pickard and his journey from a privileged boyhood in Atlanta, through the manic, hallucinogenic heart of the 1960s, to the forefront of social drugs research in the 1990s, conducted at some of the nation's most prestigious universities. Along the way, under various aliases - he crossed paths with such rock stars as Sting, and befriended members of the British House of Lords, State Department officials and the district attorney of San Francisco, Terence Hallinan.

He earned a master's from Harvard's Kennedy School of Government, where he studied drug trends in the former Soviet Union.

Pickard also has a rap sheet stretching back to his teens and has served two prison terms for manufacturing drugs, including LSD and the rarely seen synthetic mescaline. In recent years, though, his life seemed to come together - he'd fathered a child and had become a serious convert to Buddhism. He had a Job at a respected drug-policy think tank, and he planned to attend medical school so he could finally dedicate his life to alleviating the suffering of others. But he had also become bizarrely entwined with - and then, he says, hideously betrayed by - a man named Gordon Todd Skinner, a Porsche-driving pot dealer from Tulsa, Oklahoma, twenty years younger than Pickard When Pickard comes to trial, most likely later this year, the proceedings promise to shed light on the dangerous and secret world of LSD manufacturing for the first time in decades. Perhaps greater truths will be revealed, too.

In some ways, the story of Leonard Pickard and Todd Skinner is a story about the collision of Sixties idealism with the materialism and pragmatism of the nineties -Timothy Leary's America versus Bill Clinton's, if you will. And its moral will be clear even before the Judge calls the court to order; The sweet but easily corruptible dream of the flower-power generation never really stood a chance - but It was fun while it lasted.

THE ACID TRIANGLE

Most of the Acid consumed in the past thirty years is believed to have been made in temporary basement and warehouse labs in and around San Francisco's Bay Area, a part of California drug agents call the Acid Triangle. The last time those agents made a significant (1 million hits plus) acid bust, in 1993, they identified a supplier who lived in Bolinas, the northernmost point of the triangle.

A supplier, that is - not a chemist. The narcs never located the chemist.
LSD today is a much lower dose (20 micrograms versus 2oo-plus) than the high-test stuff Augustus Owsley Stanley III sold as orange sunshine'' in the Sixties; more of a party high than an eight-hour trip. "Triple set - LSD that is reworked three times to in- crease purity - it's not found as often," says Dave Tresmontan, special agent in charge of the California Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement's San Francisco office.

"The LSD today tends to be a little dirtier and not nearly as sophisticated as it once was," It's difficult to tell exactly when Leonard Pickard first involved himself with LSD. BNE believes he was part of the legendary Brotherhood of Eternal Love, which operated in and around the Acid Triangle in the late 1960s and early 1970s, selling hashish and LSD cooked by Owsley and other important chemists like Tim Scully and Nick Sand.

The Brotherhood's philosophy, at least the beginning, was simple and beneficent: with LSD, turning people on, expanding consciousness and changing the way people perceived the world took precedence over making a profit.

When the subject of the Brotherhood of Eternal Love came up one day in the Shawnee County jail, Pickard stopped short of admitting any contact with the group, but did speak of their activities with a certain knowing reverence: "I understand there have been a few LSD chemists that would never make a batch of LSD ever, ever, without offering prayers for the safety of the people that might use it. And it should act as a good medicine throughout the world. So I'm told." He added, "I think their mantra was something on the order of, 'Those that say, don't know. And those that know, don't say." Pickard smiled, conspiratorially, as he talked, sitting cross-legged and as calm as a Buddha on a plastic chair in an interview room barely big enough to contain his six-and-a-half-foot frame.

A federal trial in San Francisco in 1973 crippled Brotherhood operations and seemed to fragment the cooking culture, or at least send it further underground.
BNE didn't take down a lab of any real size in the Acid Triangle for years after the Brotherhood case, just a few seizures now and again. "We might find some pretty good chunks, 15,000 hits or 100,000 hits," says Dave Tresmontan. Then, in 1988, reports came into the Bureau of strong chemical smells emanating from a ware- house in the city of Mountain View, California, about forty-five mites south of San Francisco. On December 28th, as the narcs arrived to execute a search warrant, a tall, pleasant man of forty strolled out of the warehouse, carrying multiple pieces of identification bearing a number of different names. His real name was William Leonard Pickard.

?A LITTLE PREPPY?

Leonard Pickard grew up precociously in Atlanta, a city unfamiliar in the 1960s with the concepts of tolerance and experimentation. His father, William, practiced civil law. His mother, Lucille, a Columbia University Ph.D., researched fungal diseases at the Centers for Disease Control. The Packard?s lived comfortably in the city's genteel northwest suburbs, a social, church-oriented neighborhood populated by academic families.

"The governor of Georgia's mother taught me Sunday school," Pickard rhapsodized in a letter from prison.

"Suits on Sunday, no alcohol, learned to handle rifles at nine. Read endlessly. Azaleas, rhododendrons, lightning, Fireflies. Many happy moments as a small boy observing paramecia under my great-grandfather's microscope. Visiting scientists from all over the world stayed with us. Much conversation." Something of a science prodigy, Pickard spent the summer of 1962 interning at the Argonne National Laboratory in Illinois. A year later, at the age of seventeen, he won a Westinghouse Talent Search, one of forty teenagers recognized as he top science students in the United States. Twenty-two scholarship offers rolled in, unsolicited. Pickard chose Princeton.

The temptations of Greenwich Village jazz clubs, a brief train ride away, distracted him, and after less than a year, he dropped out: "I wasn't as smart as I thought I was,'' out: Supported by his trust fund, Pickard hit the road, looking for "greater experience of the human condition than tenure track might have provided.''

As he wandered the country in the mid-196os, trouble found him everywhere. Eighteen years old and freshly removed from Princeton, Pickard was arrested twice in Alabama in 1964 for forging checks. The following January, he was arrested for stealing a car, "joy riding," as he recalls. "Youthful idiocy."
Pickard showed up on the West Coast in 1967, where he met Talitha Stills, Stephen Stills' sister. "It was an extraordinary time," she says. Everybody was hanging around Berkeley and Stanford, whether they were enrolled or not, because they were involved in the protests. Leonard was hanging out at Stanford with a lot of the people who were in the know. He was beyond university before he ever got to university. He had a real interest in medicine and the chemistry and pharmacology underlying the drug movement.

Stills also remembers a less studious aspect of her friend's personality. We were sort of the rich, bright kids she says. "Leonard had his little trust fund, so he could just dedicate himself to going out. He was all over the place. It was almost impossible to keep tabs on him. He was a pretty serious ladies' man."
For a period of about seven years, Pickard lived the life of a psychedelic freebooter, part of it in a commune in Austin.

It was a time, he says, of "naked moonlight swimming, endless campfires and theology in the High Sierra, refinement of the soul in the vast deserts, finding what was of true value in the world and what was proper conduct among others." In 1974, Pickard formally returned to school, enrolling at Foothill College, in Los A1tos Hills, to study biology and chemistry. Then he was off to San Jose State, from 1976 through 1978, to study organic chemistry and neurophysiology.
Then Pickard, in his early thirties, seemed to discover his calling: cooking illegal drugs, but doing so with a Californian epicure's taste and sophistication.

Besides chemistry, he knew the law, and rather than brazenly break it, Pickard tried to skirt it. The first compound he experimented with was MDMA - a drug few had even heard of at the time but now known as Ecstacy.

To get around the fact that it was illegal, Pickard fiddled wit the formula and came up with a chemical cousin, MDA, a somewhat trippier version of the drug.
In time, Pickard's neighbors in Redwood City complained about chemical odors wafting from his apartment. Sheriff's deputies who knocked on the door on October 10th, 1977, discovered a functioning drug lab in the basement.

Alan Johnson, chief inspector at the Santa Cruz, district attorney?s office, interviewed the young chemist. "I had a delightful conversation with Leonard," Johnson says. "He struck me as a really bright kid. He was dressed in a little V-neck sweater. He was a little Preppy. We're talking about a whole different culture back then," Johnson recalls. "Today?s Cookers just get a recipe from some criminal. They mix a little of this and a little of that. They don't really know what they're doing. This fellow was trying to change the MDMA to make it legal. He was making the argument, and it was a new argument, that he's manufacturing an analogue.''

Ultimately, Leonard's analogue argument failed. In 1978, while taking chemistry classes at Stanford, he was found guilty of attempting to manufacture a controlled substance, a felony, and served eighteen months of a three-year sentence. In a letter from prison, Pickard offered up an elaborate excuse, denying that he had been brewing illegal drugs.

He claims that he was busted after he was trying to sell some lab gear that once belonged to a brotherhood of Eternal Love chemist, gear that contained traces of MDA.

Incarceration didn't seem to quell his fascination with clandestine chemistry. In February 1980 not long after his release, police in Gainesville, Georgia, arrested Leonard Pickard for making amphetamines. A few months later, in June, authorities in Deland Florida, pinched him for distributing MDA, the Ecstasy analogue.

No threat of imprisonment, it seemed, could interfere with Leonard's quest to liberate the collective mind. "I believe it was genuine, his belief that psychedelics were helpful," says Rick Doblin, a Harvard Ph.D. who is leading the effort to have Ecstasy for clinical study in the United States, and an acquaintance of Packard's. "I think he was after money, but he had a romantic notion about the value of psychedelics, like a lot of us do."

123,278 PILLS AND 89,802 TABS

By 1987, the two strands of Pickard's life came together when he turned up at San Francisco State University and fell under the influence of the legendary drug researcher Alexander Shulgin, a white-haired eccentric who, with his wife, Ann, has dedicated his life to studying hallucinogens and advocating their therapeutic value.

For many years, Shulgin counted himself among the few researchers in the nation allowed to possess Schedule I drugs (like MDMA and 2C-B), and his books on the subject, among them PIHKAL, A Chemical Love Story (PIHKAL stands for "Phenethylamines I Have Known and Loved" are perennial underground best sellers. "I hold Sasha as a real hero," says Pickard, who claims to have received "letters of condolence'' from Shulgin after his arrest.

Nobody is exactly sure when, or if, Pickard actually set up the LSD lab in Mountain View, but by 1988 it was operational. The lab was contained inside a trailer - of the type you might see at a construction site - that had been dragged into a warehouse in an industrial section of the city. It contained state-of-the-art lab equipment, including a roto-evaporator, heating mantles and a pill press, an item that DEA restrictions make almost impossible to obtain. On the floor were stacked boxes of blotter paper in a raft of colorful, eye-catching designs: Escher heads, album covers, samurai shields and black-and-white tropical scenes.

After Pickard had been at the spot for some time, apparently cooking acid by the kilo, neighboring businessmen reported smelling chemical odors. Agents of the BNE moved in. "It was a huge lab," says Ron Brooks, special agent in charge of the BNE'S San Jose office, who was on the scene that day in Mountain View. "He was making windowpane, microdot and blotter.'' And it was a diversified operation.

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Re: Rolling Stone Pickard Article [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #3803152 - 02/19/05 12:05 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

damn you , I just typed this much of it!

The Acid King

By Peter Wilkinson

For more than two decades, authorities believe, Leonard Pickard was a major player in the LSD underground. Now, sitting in a federal prison, he tells his tale for the first time.

Late last year, a new prisoner arrived at the Shawnee County Jail in Topeka, Kansas ? a polite beanstalk of a man from the San Francisco Bay Area who stood out amoung the petty criminals who make up the majority of Shawnee?s inmate population. He spoke in a rapid whisper, practiced yoga, meditated in his cell and read difficult books on mathematics and physics. Along with his prison blues, he wore sandals with socks. A princely mane of silver hair fell almost to his shoulders.

The man?s name was William Leonard Pickard. A few days before, on November 7th, 200, the fifty-five-year-old Harvard graduate had been arrested not far from an abandoned Atlas E missile silo outside Topeka and charged with being one of the busiest manufacturers of LSD in the world, a chemist with the means to cook up acid by the kilos. If the government?s charges prove true, this would make him one of the high priests of acid manufacture, part of a clandestine fraternity that probably numbers no more than a dozen worldwide.

Acid cookers are notoriously hard to catch. A lab can be set up quickly and broken down easily, and it only takes about ten days to perform a series of complicated chemical reactions to produce a sizable batch of the drug ? enough, once diluted and dipped onto blotter paper, for hundreds of thousands of hits. The trickiest part of the process is obtaining the precursor chemical known as ergotamine tartrate, or ET. Heavily regulated in this country, where it is used to treat migraines, ET is often smuggled in from Eastern Europe, where sale of the compound is less restricted.

Acid manufacturing might be one of the last criminal enterprises where those involved are motivated by more than the prospect of making money. Even now, more than three decades after the Summer of Love, to cook acid is to perform a sacrament, a public service. Members of this small band operate with great stealth and are rarely informed on by their associates, even those facing long prison terms. The Drug Enforcement Administration had not taken down an LSD lab since 1991.

The case of U.S. v. Pickard is just the latest, and perhaps final, chapter in the strange

do you have the rest KOTT? or should I type it?

--------------------

afoaf said:

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #3803159 - 02/19/05 12:07 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i cant find the 2nd half

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#3803164 - 02/19/05 12:09 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Ill type it, and thats not even 1/2 of it!!!!  give me an hour to finish it... Im a slow typer :smile:

--------------------

afoaf said:

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
    #3803212 - 02/19/05 12:28 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks KOTT ..  :smirk:

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains