Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSoK
pimpin sincebeen pimpinsince beenpimpin since..

Loc: ohio river valley
switching to wbs as sub. - worth the money?
    #3619365 - 01/12/05 04:41 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

hello all, i've been using cakes for about 2 months now w/ some decent fruits, but i'd like to switch to a bit larger scale operation.  I've read quite a bit on wbs as spawn, but i was wondering if the fruits from wbs used strictly as substrate in bulk is worth the time/money to buy the pressure cooker, quart jars, etc. etc.  I'd really rather not use shit/straw, and grains surprisingly are nonexistant in my area.  Any thoughts opinions or comments welcome, thanks!  :thumbup:

:edit: any also, i won't be using syringes anymore, my roomy got a blender so i'm just going to inoc. w/ diced mushroom flesh in water... any comments on that also?

Edited by SoK (01/12/05 04:42 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

Re: switching to wbs as sub. - worth the money? [Re: SoK]
    #3619383 - 01/12/05 04:44 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

pf cakes are the most exspendive way to grow. once you get a pressure cooker one 10gal tub will cost about 5$ to make 6-8 dry oz's

--------------------

See?
Yes, with my own three eyes.
Depression, Misspells , wanting everying thing i cant have haveing nothing i want

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
    #3619396 - 01/12/05 04:45 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

WBS is a good step up from your cakes.  Are you asking if it makes a good spawn for bulk?  Yeah.  Or are you asking if it's good to case as is?  I like large casings with just WBS and 50/50 casing material, much better results then equivalent casings made with crumbled BRF cakes, in my experience.  You don't need quart jars to do WBS, I do them in pint jars and they colonize in under 2 weeks at 86F.  It makes for an awesome substrate. :biggrin:

Hope this helps,
HD

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
    #3619401 - 01/12/05 04:47 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

meijer has for 10 bucks 40lb bags of WBS. 20lb bag makes 28-32quart jars filled up to the Ball name

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

OfflineSoK

Re: switching to wbs as sub. - worth the money? [Re: onetime]
    #3619405 - 01/12/05 04:47 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

are you referring to a 10 gal. tub filled w/ wbs? sorry i'm not sure i understand your post. thats about the quantity i want too, cause i'm moving out of my current grow spot end of march n want to have something to stash away untill i find a new place, thanks though

OfflineSoK

#3619428 - 01/12/05 04:51 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

sweet, thats what i was lookin for diver.  i'd just like to get quart jars though to speed up the process a bit (bigger jars=more wbs in each=less hours spent in front of a pressure cooker) but i do also realize they will take longer to inoc. because of size 

also does anyone have any arguments against using shroom flesh in a blender to inoc.? thanks all  :laugh: :mushroom2:

Offlineatomic1
enthusiast
Male

Loc: Appalachia
    #3619626 - 01/12/05 05:33 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Dude, grains are the shit. I've got a shit ton of quart jars and i've totally switched to those gladware/ziploc storage containers. As soon as they're colonized you can take the lid off and throw on the casing as opposed to spooning the shit out of the jars and into something else. It totally cuts out a step. And as far as colonization time goes, its not that big of a difference....my quarts and containers are generally done in 2 weeks. Also, as far as I'm concerned karo is the way to go for an innoculant. :goodluck:

Offline4hodmt
AspiringMycologist

Re: switching to wbs as sub. - worth the money? [Re: atomic1]
    #3619652 - 01/12/05 05:39 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

i cant believe u cant get popcorn.

remember, if u use bigger jars, it takes twice as long to finish. u could prolly hav a couple jars done in 13 days

--------------------
all posts made by 4hodmt are entirely ficticious. the user 4hodmt has noa ffiliation with any company, or organization; any endorsements made by 4hodmt are to be considered a joke. any similarity between a person (or story) 4hodmt is talking about is entirely happenstance. 4hodmt is not to be taken seriously under any circumstance. furthermore, he does not know what he is talking about. Please ignore anything 4hodmt has to say.

_______

"Trust me, I'm from the future.

Actually I'm not from the future, but I did lived there for a while."

- Baby Hitler

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3619798 - 01/12/05 06:08 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Since you are switching, I assume you have a PC.

WBS is BETTER as spawn into quasi/compost (horse manure/straw)substrate.

You just cannot do better than that. :wink:

--------------------

Offlineticktock
Seeker
 User Gallery

Loc: Just ask the rabbit.
Re: switching to wbs as sub. - worth the money? [Re: agar]
    #3620248 - 01/12/05 07:29 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Colonization time is irrelevant in the long run, as long as it stays about the same. If you start a new batch every week, you get a new first flush every week. Space is the limiting factor.

You asked about the blender tek. It doesn't free you from spores forever. You can only make clones of clones so many times. 4 generations is the limit that most agree on. That's not bad news. If you have mushrooms, you have spores galore.

--------------------
Don't panic!

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: switching to wbs as sub. - worth the money? [Re: ticktock]
    #3620646 - 01/12/05 08:47 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

FOAF stretches G2G by placing 1 jar G-1 in fridge (impulse sealed in autoclave bag).... then runs out other remaining jars 3 G's more, then goes back to G-1 in fridge & goes again.

--------------------

OfflineSoK

Re: switching to wbs as sub. - worth the money? [Re: agar]
    #3622635 - 01/13/05 08:41 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

thanks for all the reply's guys... ended up getting 40lbs. wbs at meier for $6 :smile: and a nice size pressure cooker/canner for $35. 

The reason i asked about using mushy flesh is cause none of the shrooms on my cakes seem to want to open their caps, and i hate having to by syringes all the time so this would just be a one time thing until i can get some open caps. 

about the popcorn, i thought i'd read somewhere that the nutritional value of popcorn was less than that of wbs, plus i do have a quart jar of rye berries colonizing that i was going to mix into the wbs, not as a G2G-type transfer for colonization but just to possibly bump up the available nutes. thanks for the reply's all!!

Invisiblemadsickpenguin
Re: switching to wbs as sub. - worth the money? [Re: atomic1]
    #3622708 - 01/13/05 09:11 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

atomic1, how do you go about inocculating the storage conatiners (if you're using liquid inocc, or, if you were to use spores how would you do that)?

Offlineatomic1
enthusiast
Male

Loc: Appalachia
Re: switching to wbs as sub. - worth the money? [Re: madsickpenguin]
    #3622895 - 01/13/05 10:42 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

penguin, all i do with those containers is poke a couple holes in them diagonal from each other. I cover the holes with scotch tape while pc'ing and incubating. After pc'ing just inoculate through the 2 holes as normal. I also drill out 1/2" holes in the center of the lids and using GE kitchen and bath silicone, I attach a cut to fit filter patch. That silicone will withstand up to 400 deg. Fahrenheit. I usually use about 300g of rye/container and it generally takes about 2 weeks to colonize. Hope this helps. :thumbup: :mushroom2:

Edited by atomic1 (01/13/05 10:44 AM)

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #3622950 - 01/13/05 11:01 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

IMHO ... Once you go grain you will never go back .
Yes you can just case grain once fully inoced , and mushies love it  :thumbup: :heart:
Check if you have any feed and grain supply houses nearby , especially ones that specialize in exotic birds, and chickens  , the grain can be bought in bulk , and in most cases ,when bought this way does not have that vita coat stuff on it , and is much fresher when bought in bulk verses the wbs bags you see all over the place .
IMHO ... is best to get some half pinters too , you can inoc them and they will colonize lightning quick , then once they fully colonize use them to do g2g in the quarts , just a suggestion .

And these little guys are awesome for plain old casing of grains ...

2 inches deep , and act as their own little incubator\grow chamber(minus heat source of course) till ready to birth in proper grow chamber , and between flushes you can put lid on and remove from chamber to allow you to put others that are ready to flush into chamber , thus causing a rotation system for limited sized grow chambers .You can also give them to close friends so they can grow their own  :wink:
The ones at Safeway stores are the best , their lids are good and sturdy . Currently looking for a case of them , instead of mooching them from the store or cleaning the hell out of them after chickens were in them  :wink: :tongue:

GL
PS Welcome to the world of growing on grains ! :thumbup: :laugh: :cool:

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

OfflineSoK

Re: switching to wbs as sub. - worth the money? [Re: tripndicular]
    #3623066 - 01/13/05 11:37 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

<sigh> i guess i'll have to try my friends dads feed n seed store nearby... wish i wouldn't have bought/soaked that bird seed last night, but i guess i'll use it anyway.

what do u guys think of half wbs/half grain mixtures? would u recomend just grain as subst.?

what specifically are your techniques/recomendations/sterilization procedures for doing wbs (as spawn) 2 grain inocs.? I'm a bit worried by all the transfering stages that seem to be needed. sorry for the lazy question too, i'll be searching for some answers as well, thanks in advance

Invisibletripndicular

#3623103 - 01/13/05 11:49 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

No need to be bummed , use what you got , good learning exp either way  :thumbup: :cool:

I make my own seed mixes .
Milo
Millet (several varieties in mix i.e. white prosso , red prosso , Japanese , and German )
Recently started adding groats to the mix .
PC for  hr @15psi myco bags add 20-40 mins to compensate for quantity.

I do short cut method , I do not soak and have had great luck so far , will give you details how I do it if you want .
When inocing a bulk sub just remember to do a 15-25% ratio of spawn to bulk sub .
I like doing just cased grain , one less dimension of contam factor , the whole afraid of too many transfers .But do those to , just lazy and prefer plain old casing of grains  :wink:
PS it is possible to do all this with no gb or fh , shhhhhhhhh do not tell drex he will say I am a liar and you are fool for trying  :wink:
Just be as clean as possible , shut down central air system in house , wear a mask , hair cap , and gloves , kick all non essential people and pets out of house , move methodically and purposely , spray Lysol or similar into air just prior to doing work .
GL
Sorry agar man has left the building , does not like being left here alone  :wink:
(Removed pic)

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Edited by tripndicular (01/13/05 12:46 PM)

Offlinepshawny
Mycobian
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Shroomery
    #3623141 - 01/13/05 12:01 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

nice cap  :shiftyeyes:  lol

--------------------

OfflineSoK

#3623156 - 01/13/05 12:06 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

lol, your rockin in that pic  :cool:  i just read over someones grow log from using strictly wbs/verm casing and they seemed to fair pretty well... i guess i'll just try to finish off this wbs and look into grains for my next attempt

i think i'll continue to soak though. having only one large pot to soak in will keep me on a good cycle for inoc.ing and birthing, thanks for the info everyone  prob. will be a while before i can post any results, but i will indeed.

Invisibletripndicular

Re: switching to wbs as sub. - worth the money? [Re: pshawny]
    #3623163 - 01/13/05 12:08 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

pshawny said:
nice cap  :shiftyeyes:  lol

Hey now ... no making fun of the girly man cap  :smirk: , the mushies seem to approve though  :wink:. I'll send you one if you like it !

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale