Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineThrilled
Stranger
 User Gallery
Shrooms of S.E. Tennessee
    #3413775 - 11/26/04 08:27 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hello All,

You are invited to view the pics I posted of species found in S.E. Tennessee, N.GA, Appalachian-W. North Carolina.

I have many exquisite pics using a 70mm-140mm zoom with a 35mm. They are much better quality than the ones I posted (which aren't bad for the 1st time). I have a hundred plus pictures to include LBM's. Most are pics of species that only resemble something identified on the West Coast. I'm frustrated, because with all the info available on the web and the books I have: "Mushrooms Demystified", "Peterson's Field Guide to Mushrooms" "The Field Guide to Mushrooms", "The Mushroom Encyclopedia", "Field Guide to Poisonous and Hallucinogenic Mushrooms",
With all that info, I still can only identify a fraction of the shrooms I see. The rest resemble West Coast shrooms or close. There are 100's of different LBM's around here, many are in yards.

The shrooms in this area are plentiful in volume (throughout the year) and in varieties. A book covering identification of shrooms in E. Tennessee/N. GA/W. N.C. would be appreciated if not prized. Enabling the mildly interested to become knowledgeable of the shroomies in their yards and properties.

I could post so many more pics in my folder Of Shrooms of S.E. Tennessee but each pic is larger in KB than the 200kb allowed by the download procedures. I don't have any photoshop-type skills to "frame" the pics to smaller KB's otherwise I would add a ton of excellent pics of shrooms that I can't identify.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

Re: Shrooms of S.E. Tennessee [Re: Thrilled]
    #3413793 - 11/26/04 08:33 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

so where are the pics , and i dont get ur post!

--------------------

http://www.bruceeisner.com/ -Creating a Sensible Culture

InvisibleDreaMaTrix
Shaman I am

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Falling into place
    #3415122 - 11/27/04 05:14 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Are you having prolems posting pics?

Try:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/faq.php#image

--------------------

"We are the one's we have been waiting for" - Hopi saying

OfflineThrilled
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Shrooms of S.E. Tennessee [Re: DreaMaTrix]
    #3415331 - 11/27/04 08:55 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hi All,

My pic folder of Shrooms of S.E. Tennessee is located at:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/upload.php?action=viewthumb&folder=Shroomies_of_S.E._Tennessee

The pics posted there can be zoomed and whatever.

Any help offered in their identification will be deeply appreciated. Feel free to use my pics to fit your purposes or needs

Thanks for the info on posting pics. I use a 35mm Canon that I have put the pics onto CD's. I still need to learn more about pic editing in order to post the many other pics I have. They are very good pics of unidentified shrooms. I will post pics on the different LBM's around here. It's not my view that LBM's are boring or mundane, due to the massive varieties of LBM's I've seen.

Are there any folks on this board whom live in the vicinity of S.E. Tennessee?

Thanks for this great Forum and Website dedicated to expanding knowledge of shrooms.

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

#3415739 - 11/27/04 12:12 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

fraid it doesn't work like that. That only links us to our own picture folders.

Click your pictures in your folder, and it will tell you what to paste into your posts.

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

OfflineThrilled
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Shrooms of S.E. Tennessee [Re: Koala Koolio]
    #3416587 - 11/27/04 04:33 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks elgr.
When I enabled the "share" option, I thought it made those available to all. However, thanks for clearing that up for me.

It seems after hours of trying, I'm unable to size and save as I wish, trying to reduce kb's per pic. My other option is to take the negatives to be resized by the developer into smaller kb pics.

I'll use only a zoom lens from now on, ensuring that the pic will be mostly of portrait (close-up to far enough to establish goal shot).

This will be an ongoing project that I hope will be beneficial to those who visit (and me, finding out what they are, perhaps).

Here's my 1st attempts at taking shroom pics. After a roll or three, I figured out the best pictorial documentation methods. Look for some good pics in the future.

I've numbered the pics to enable any who can identify the pics to post the identity(s). Granted, the 1st several posts will be harder to identify than the ones that will follow soon.

Posting identifications of the pics on this thread would be appreciated on a scale that is hard to express. Knowledge is a hard thing to put a value on.

P001 Russula (Edibility undetermined) - ToxicMan
It must be 'active'. My friends tell me that slugs go for the actives and they have never found them on non-actives. ALTHOUGH, that may not be the case.

P001aRussula (Edibility undetermined)- ToxicMan

P001a-1

P001a-2

P002Russula (Edibility undetermined) - ToxicMan

P002a Russula (Edibility undetermined)- ToxicMan

P003 Russula (Edibility undetermined)- ToxicMan

P004 Xerula megalospora, commonly named: Lesser Rooting Xerula. Edible

P005 Destroying Angel (deadly), ID'd - deathcapcubensis, ToxicMan

P006 Destroying Angel (deadly), ID'd - deathcapcubensis, ToxicMan

P007 Destroying Angel (deadly), ID'd - deathcapcubensis, ToxicMan

P008

P009

P009a
Baby Destroying angel

P009b

P009c

P009d

P010 Probably a genus Suillus Bolete (edible-unknown), - ToxicMan

P011 Probably a genus Suillus Bolete (edible-unknown), - ToxicMan

P012 Probably a genus Suillus Bolete (edible-unknown), - ToxicMan

P013 Probably a genus Suillus Bolete (edible-unknown), - ToxicMan

P014 Probably Another Marasmius (edible-unknown) - ToxicMan

P015 A Bolete of some kind

P016 A Bolete of some kind

P017 P017 - P018. Spore print will be important here, as well as odor. It looks like a Cortinarius or Inocybe. Both of these genera are very large (several hundred species) and difficult to make accurate IDs in. None of them should be eaten. - ToxicMan

P018

P019 P019 - P022. A spore print will be essential on these. Remember that gill color is often not the same as spore print color, and can be very different.
As stated - ToxicMan

P020

P022

More pics (better) to come once I progress beyond the obstacles I mentioned. Update, I figured out the editing s/w. Hvae several rolls of what should be excellent shots.

Edited by Thrilled (07/29/05 07:16 PM)

OfflineThrilled
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #3418966 - 11/28/04 10:03 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

P023 (WooHoo!) I have idenified these shrooms (P023 - P024c) from the "Mushrooms of W. Virgina and the Central Appalachians" book.
These are yard shrooms that grow in rings, clusters and groups.
Clitocybe nuda (Bull)

P024

P024a

P024b

P024c

P025 (& P026) These are 2 different shrooms that grow in close vicinity of each other whenevr the do appear. The shroom on the left is a Clitocybe nuda (as the above pics), the one on the right is a Clitocybe tarda Peck. They both look exactly the same except for their color. They are both edible.

P026

Edited by Thrilled (04/22/05 08:51 AM)

Anonymous

#3418983 - 11/28/04 10:18 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hello! I am very familiar with the area you speak of! Great pictures!

Not much of interest around here. Occasional subs or cubes but you have to know where to look. Weilii has not made it this way, despite reports of them being in Chatt. The chanterelles are great though....mmm.

OfflineThrilled
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Shrooms of S.E. Tennessee [Re: Organic] * 1
    #3419197 - 11/28/04 12:24 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hi Organic!

It's great to hear someone with your knowledge base resides near me.
I Live In Cleveland. I look forward to talking with you more.

The pics aren't anything to brag about yet. They will improve greatly though. I will provide a pictorial catalog of the shrooms of every season (next year).

I'm finally learning pic editing, and am capable of posting the ones I had a problem with.

Here goes......

P027 - P029. The same specimens as P019 - P022

P028

P029

Edited by Thrilled (12/06/04 07:23 PM)

OfflineThrilled
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #3423140 - 11/29/04 01:31 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

P030-031a, Waxy Caps-slimey, fruity/citrusy tasting. I ate some straight from the ground. Sweated profusely, slight buzz.
These are Tennessee Vols Orange waxy caps!!!

P030a

P030b

P030c

P030d

P031

P031a

P032

P033

P034 Marasmius looking. Suggests Marasmius oreades, a common lawn mushroom, - ToxicMan

P035

P036 Probably a Marasmius oreades, Speculated - ToxicMan

P037

P038

P039

P040

P041

Edited by Thrilled (01/08/05 07:49 AM)

OfflineDastoner
n00b

Loc: NORTHWEST, USA
    #3424254 - 11/29/04 05:50 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

nice pics :smile:

--------------------
-------------------------------
I hope this post Helped you.

OfflineThrilled
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Shrooms of S.E. Tennessee [Re: Dastoner]
    #3427677 - 11/30/04 12:30 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

P042 - P043. Hygrophorus. There are several, very similar looking Hygrophorus (Hygrocybe) species like those. We need to know things like what parts are slimy/sticky or dry, and if they taste bitter to identify to species. Stated - ToxicMan

P042a

P042b

P042c

P043

P044 Something near Marasmius - ToxicMan

P045 - P047. Probably Tricholoma, although Russula is also possible. Breaking the stem will decide immediately. There are a bunch of brown Tricholomas that look like those, and they are difficult to distinguish from each other.- ToxicMan

P046

P047

Edited by Thrilled (12/17/04 12:37 PM)

OfflineThrilled
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #3433782 - 12/01/04 04:44 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

P048 (spore color - light purple to brown)

P048A

P048AA

P048B

P048C

P048D

P049

P049a

P049b

P049c

P049d

P050 - P052. Conocybe coprophila growing from horseshit. Considered deadly. Who would have thought that a deadly shroom would grow from animal dung? These shrooms are on horseshit cover with wood chips (saw dust).
Conocybes cannot be identified to species without a microscope.-ToxicMan
P050-this pic is from this website and is what is shown in pics below...

P050a

P050b

P051

P052

Field Assistant and companion

P053 - P054. A better view than earlier. Looks like a Tricholoma.-ToxicMan

P054

P055-57. A Coprinus. There are a bunch of similar species that look like that.-Toxicman

Edited by Thrilled (12/19/04 10:53 AM)

OfflineThrilled
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #3438734 - 12/02/04 05:00 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

P056 - P057. A Cortinarius? A spore print would be important on this one.-ToxicMan

P056a

P057

P058 - P060. A Marasmius or Mycena.-ToxicMan

P059

P060

Edited by Thrilled (12/06/04 07:49 PM)

OfflineThrilled
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #3443241 - 12/03/04 05:47 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

P061 - P062. Mycenas. - ToxicMan

P062

P062a

P062b

P062c
This shroom is growing out of a hole in the tree.

Edited by Thrilled (07/29/05 03:43 PM)

InvisiblezSDMF
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: lost in nothing Flag
    #3443262 - 12/03/04 05:58 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

wow, nice pics bro.. congrats

OfflineThrilled
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Shrooms of S.E. Tennessee [Re: zSDMF]
    #3443290 - 12/03/04 06:10 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks zSDMF.

There are many, many types in every season around here. The pictures will be better in close-ups for better identification.
I have a few identified and will list the the name next to the pics.
I hope most can be ID'd.

Credit will be given to whomever identifies any shrooms on this thread where it will be listed as the pic # and descriptor heading.

It will be much easier to identify the future pics of shrooms.

Edited by Thrilled (12/03/04 06:11 PM)

Offlinedeathcapcubensis
hunter
 User Gallery

#3445594 - 12/04/04 12:06 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

p006/p007 are for sure destroying angel. you couldnt find it in feild guides? that mushroom is unmistakable. p048 is a galerina of some sort, i think. thats my 2 cents, nice pics though man!

OfflineThrilled
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Shrooms of S.E. Tennessee [Re: deathcapcubensis]
    #3445794 - 12/04/04 01:11 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Hello deathcapcubensis!

Glad you stopped in!! More (better) pics to come.

Yes, I stated I had some identified, and still need to do some editing. However, since you named them on this thread, you get credit for identifying them (hoo-ray) (LOL). You certainly get my appreciation for your participation.
Yes, the best book to identify most of what's in this area is the "Field Guide to Mushrooms of West Virgina and Central Appalachians". I'm merely a novice (but a quick learner) and am hoping to work this thread into something of appreciation. It will take some time. My main concern (presently) is to get them posted. Hopefully, passers-by will drop a name, like you did.

I like your motto/signature;

"fuck society, fuck your trends, fuck your world, im a nomadic explorer of conciousness, i wonder through innerspace alone."

deathcapcubensis, I invite you to read existence explained at;

http://www.puppstheories.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2150&st=0

The thread title: "How deep can you or will you think?"

Pretty much sums up existence per your succinctly stated bottomline.
You may enjoy the read.

Cheers

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #3445837 - 12/04/04 01:22 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

A few tips on how to learn to ID mushrooms:

1. Any mushroom you want to identify should be picked and brought home to study. Do *not* use plastic bags (a common beginner mistake). Use waxed paper or brown paper bags.

2. Note habitat when collecting. What is it growing on? If from wood, try to determine what kind (at least whether it's a pine or not). Note the kinds of trees growing nearby. If you are closer to a tree than the tree is tall then the mushroom could be associated with that tree.

3. Make spore prints on white paper. The keys in any good book on mushroom identification will start by asking what color the spore are.

4. Don't try to identify all the mushrooms you find. Limit yourself to a couple kinds each time you go out. Otherwise, you will overwhelm yourself. Start with the more common and distinctive mushrooms.

5. Accept the idea that identifying a mushroom to genus is the first and most important step. Getting to species is often far more difficult than most people seem to think. Remember that your books contain only a fraction of the mushroom species out there, generally focusing on the more common and distinctive species. There are a lot of mushrooms that won't be in your books. Finally, remember that you cannot accurately identify mushrooms by comparing your specimens to photographs. Lots of people are poisoned every year by attempting to do that. Photographs are helpful in identification, but should not be the primary means.

Let's make some wild guesses on what your photos show:

P001. Russula. Identifying Russulas to species requires a microscope and chemical reagents (except a very few distinctive species). Breaking the stem of these mushrooms will result in it snapping like a piece of chalk, showing that it isn't fibrous like most mushrooms. Note also the closely related genus Lactarius.

P002. Another Russula. Russulas are very common in most woodlands in late summer into fall.

P003. There's not enough detail here to even try a guess. It just looks white. Habitat would be very useful on this one. Also, the underside of the cap is generally more useful for identification that the top.

P004. Probably one of the many genera near Marasmius. These are the common, white spored mushrooms that break down most of the twigs, leaves, pine needles, and other small, woody material in the forest.

P005 - P009. These appear to be the same specimen from many angles (good to do, but label them so it's clear). That is an Amanita. Given that it's all white, it's in the cluster of species near Amanita virosa, commonly referred to as Destroying Angels. These mushrooms are deadly poisonous, causing death by liver failure, and they are responsible for about 95% of worldwide mushroom fatalities. Amanitas should not be eaten by anybody until they are good enough to explain which species they are eating and exactly how they know. Note the cup-like structure around the base of the stem. This is the volva, and it is a characteristic feature on many Amanitas.

P010 - P013. Again, these look like they may be the same species, without labeling. Note that they have tubes (pores) instead of gills, and they are growing from the ground. If you try to peel the tubes with your fingers you will find that they detach easily from the underside of the cap. They are in the general group of mushrooms called boletes, and are probably in the genus Suillus. Boletes include several of the best mushrooms for eating, and they are among the safest mushrooms for eating. All poisonous boletes bruise blue, have redo or orange tubes or tube mouths, or both. There are also boletes that are nonpoisonous that are inedible because they are bitter or peppery.

P014. Can't see enough detail for a good guess. Another Marasmius?

P015 - P016. Not enough detail. Does it have gills or tubes?

P017 - P018. Spore print will be important here, as well as odor. It looks like a Cortinarius or Inocybe. Both of these genera are very large (several hundred species) and difficult to make accurate IDs in. None of them should be eaten.

P019 - P022. A spore print will be essential on these. Remember that gill color is often not the same as spore print color, and can be very different.

P023 - P026. Are these all the same? Spore print would be essential. At first glance they resemble Entolomas, but several other possibilities suggest themselves (for example, Psathyrella). What were they growing from?

P027 - P029. The same specimens as P019 - P022.

P030 - P031. Are these the same mushroom? Hygrophorus or Mycena suggest themselves.

P032 - P033. Spore prints needed. I also can't quite tell what color the various parts of the mushroom are.

P034. Marasmius looking. Suggests Marasmius oreades, a common lawn mushroom.

P035. Clitocybe? A cross section would be helpful, as would a habitat description.

P036. Looks a lot like Marasmius oreades.

P037 - P038. Mycena? A spore print would be important. Some Inocybes look like that when young but will produce brown spore prints.

P039 - P041. Repeats from above.

P042 - P043. Hygrophorus. There are several, very similar looking Hygrophorus (Hygrocybe) species like those. We need to know things like what parts are slimy/sticky or dry, and if they taste bitter to identify to species.

P044. Something near Marasmius.

P045 - P047. Probably Tricholoma, although Russula is also possible. Breaking the stem will decide immediately. There are a bunch of brown Tricholomas that look like those, and they are difficult to distinguish from each other.

P048 - P049. Agrocybe?

P050 - P052. Conocybes, similar to Conocybe lactea. Conocybes cannot be identified to species without a microscope.

P053 - P054. A better view than earlier. Looks like a Tricholoma.

P055. A Coprinus. There are a bunch of similar species that look like that.

P056 - P057. A Cortinarius? A spore print would be important on this one.

P058 - P060. A Marasmius or Mycena.

P061 - P062. Mycenas.

Keep in mind that these were mostly wild guesses. Without spore prints and seeing them in more detail, accurate IDs are usually impossible.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder