Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

Nose is always stuffy.
    #3250560 - 10/13/04 01:25 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I have some minor allergies, nothing to be concerned about, but they are a nuisance. My eyes are always dry, and my nose is for the most part stuffy. In fact, as long as I can remember, I've breathed through my mouth. I tried breathing through my nose, but even after blowing my nose, it just gets stuffed again. I've taken Claritin, Benadryl, Flonase, you name it, but these do not help. Plus, I do not like taking prescription drugs.

I'm thinking about using some natural menthol to clear my nasal congestion, but that effect is only ephemeral. Anyone have any suggestions? Breathing through my mouth at night always results in a dry mouth in the morning.

Thanks!

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: Nose is always stuffy. [Re: daba]
    #3250773 - 10/13/04 02:31 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

you probably need your tonsils taken out, both nose and throath

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: Nose is always stuffy. [Re: stefan]
    #3254099 - 10/19/04 11:02 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

just curious, i have a perpetually stuffy nose also...

how does taking your tonsils out remedy this?

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Nose is always stuffy. [Re: Todcasil]
    #3254393 - 10/20/04 12:03 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Huh? What happened to all the replies?

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #3256758 - 10/20/04 03:28 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

daba, i always have at least one nostril stuffed also. its been this way for at least a few years. same thing, minor allergies (mostly to pollen and such) but even during rainstorms and places w/ diff. plants i'm used to be around don't cure my stuffed up nose.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

#3256795 - 10/20/04 03:35 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

well maybe you shood take your finger out of it.

InvisibleveggieM

#3260234 - 10/21/04 11:33 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Don't have a cure for you, but did see this article below. You may want to consult an Otolaryngologist, but they might suggest injections of cortisone-type medications and xylocaine into the sphenopalatine ganglion, the nerve roots that open and close the blood vessels in the nose, or even surgery. Anyway, here is the article.

Research: Common Airborne Fungi Cause Chronic Stuffy Nose
allergies.about.com

Research: Common Airborne Fungi Cause Chronic Stuffy Nose
A team led by Mayo Clinic researchers has determined that over-reactive immune responses to airborne fungi could cause the stuffy noses and airway inflammation among sufferers of chronic rhinosinusitis. These findings could one day lead to a new, longer-lasting treatment.

"It's time to recognize there is a greater sensitivity to airborne fungi in some patients, and therefore we need to remove or reduce the fungal exposure," says lead investigator Hirohito Kita, M.D. In October 2004 electronic edition of the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, the Mayo Clinic researchers and a colleague from the University of Utah conclude that certain species of airborne fungus produce spores and by-products, that when inhaled, prompt irregular and damaging immune responses. The responses, in turn, produce the congestion and inflammation. Chronic rhinosinusitis costs society about $5.6 billion a year. And that doesn't include an estimated $70 million in annual lost work days, as well as a diminished quality of life.

Implications of Research
"The fungi we're talking about are very common," Dr. Kita. "They are airborne fungi found anywhere in the United States. Now that we know the role of the fungi, we can work toward reducing the potential role of the fungi through such treatments as nasal irrigations (flushing with water) that clear the fungi, or prescription of antifungal medicines taken by mouth."

Preliminary results show that the irrigation treatment relieves symptoms. Larger, multicenter studies are needed before this treatment can move into general use. But the results are encouraging because they support the idea that reducing fungal exposure in sensitive individuals could offer a new treatment option to sufferers worldwide.

Background
Chronic rhinosinusitis is one of the most common chronic illnesses in the United States. Its symptoms include persistent stuffy nose, thick mucus production and loss of smell. Though chronic rhinosinusitis causes significant discomfort and health problems, it is not well understood. Viruses, bacteria and allergic reactions all have been researched and debated as potential mechanisms driving the responses. The immune system mounts different kinds of responses for different invaders -- a bacterium gets attacked by a different cell or system than an allergy-prompting particle, for example. That's why it's critical to identify the key mechanisms in the immune response to chronic rhinosinusitis, allowing researchers to design treatments to relieve the distressing symptoms.

The Mayo Clinic work is the first to provide data for the role of airborne fungi in chronic rhinosinusitis and to show that several immune system branches appear to collaborate in response to the fungi -- resulting in an abnormally enhanced response that causes troublesome inflammation and congestion. The research team's data show that specific cells in 90 percent of chronic rhinosinusitis patients produce an enhanced immune-system response to one fungus in particular, Alternaria. Another kind of common fungus, Cladosporium, also provoked an abnormally enhanced immune response.

Mayo Clinic scientists previously used antifungal therapies to treat patients with chronic sinusitis, which marked a new clinical approach. These new findings serve to further support this perspective and will prompt additional research.

The Investigation
Researchers tested blood from 18 patients with chronic rhinosinusitis and 15 healthy persons to evaluate how specific immune system cells responded to common airborne fungi. The immune systems of those with chronic rhinosinusitis reacted more robustly than those of healthy individuals. In fact, when exposed to Alternaria, one branch of the immune system's response was five times greater in the chronic rhinosinusitis patients than in the healthy volunteers.

The research team investigated the body's responses to this fungal exposure by measuring components within the two branches of the adaptive immune system. The adaptive immune system takes several days to mount a response to foreign invaders. The two branches of the adaptive immune system are: 1) a cell-directed branch that involves special cells known as T lymphocytes and 2) the humoral branch, which works primarily through cells known as B lymphocytes.

Invisiblechinadoll
there
 User Gallery

Loc: dark side of terrapin
    #3262762 - 10/21/04 10:01 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

a humidifier/vaporizor may help you.

--------------------
Just a little nervous from the fall.

Offlineannielicious
pisces
Female

#3279328 - 10/26/04 12:18 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

daba, meeee toooo, however, I just got allergy tested only 3 little sub Q injections, less than 10 minutes to react and now I am on oral allergans to build up my own natural resistance, and after 2.5 months... :smile:  I have absolutely noticed a huge difference.  I used to have a hankie always when hiking and backpacking, now I use it only once in a while, no more Claritin etc...j

Maintenance dose is about 0.5 cc/ml 2 X week.  Small price to pay for a better quality of life.

--------------------
"Everything that limits us, we have to put aside."  Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Nose is always stuffy. [Re: annielicious]
    #3281017 - 10/26/04 07:03 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yea this is totally a bummer; however, I do not like to take medication in general. I think it is allergy related because not only is my nose constantly congested, my eyes are always dry and red as well. No I'm not :stoned: all the time.

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

InvisibleSuper_Blunt
Candyman
 User Gallery

#3282892 - 10/27/04 03:04 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Flonase can change your life.

Promotional post paid for by www.flonase.com
:rant:

--------------------

Offlinethe free thinker
salesman
Male User Gallery

Loc: twin cities
Re: Nose is always stuffy. [Re: Super_Blunt]
    #3283915 - 10/27/04 11:12 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

One word - AFRIN. I use it all the time.

--------------------

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Nose is always stuffy. [Re: Super_Blunt]
    #3286839 - 10/27/04 08:56 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I've used Flonase before. It didn't really help me.

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Invisibleloverofthewoods
Stranger
    #3295933 - 10/29/04 11:57 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

well, I'm just putting this out there, seeing I have never really had allergies, but a real simple, easy way of cleaing noses is just smelling eucalyptus oil. Hold one nostril down while you breathe through the other one, hold it and then switch sides and breathe out through the one you didn't breathe in. I don't really think this cures allergies at all..in fact, i doubt it, but it could help your nose be a little clearer at the moment. who knows. it's worth a try though. I always do this when I have a cold. just a thought

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag