Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepyromaniac
addict
Loc: Oregon
Liberty Caps in oregon
    #325638 - 05/24/01 10:24 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I live in oregon, near Portland and am very interested in finding liberty caps this season. Last year I searched around in estacada area, along with other fields and spent a lot of time looking, always ending with nothing. The results werent far from what I expected so I wasnt disapointed. That was in about mid october, I usually looked the morning after a rain.

I can identify liberty caps very easily. I think that is because there is almost no other plant that lives in the same area that looks the same, what with the nipple and all. Correctly identifying them is not a problem, but finding them is.

I would like to know when is the best time of year to pick them? Where should I look? What part of Oregon? How long after a rain?

Last time it was mid October in fields either the day after a rain, or the day after that, in Estacada area. I beileved this to be correct.
Im sure I could find all of these answers on this site, but posting here is more fun, plus I can increase my post count this way :)
Any help is appreciated, thanks.

---Pyromaniac---

--------------------
I admit it, Im a fungal-feliac :wink:
Support the FSR!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineWoodsman
enthusiast
Re: Liberty Caps in oregon [Re: pyromaniac]
    #325670 - 05/24/01 10:50 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

This last season was pretty dry, & libs don't fruit good until there's been a LOT of rain. My best finds have been at the low, soggy ends of fields alongside puddles & ditches. You need to look in fields that have been fairly heavily grazed with cattle for a number of years, and have not been recently plowed. The best fields are out toward the coast, but libs do grow in the Willamette valley.

The problem is finding pastures where you can pick without being harrassed or arrested for trespassing. There used to be some GREAT fields just west of Eugene, out around Veneta and Elmira, but the ranchers got sick of disrespectful pickers trashing the place and got pretty hardcore about calling the cops on people.

I've also heard about good fruitings in golf courses and cemeteries in the PDX area; these may be a little more accessible than cow pastures. Hope for a good rainy Fall & maybe we'll all get lucky!

Offlinepyromaniac
addict
Re: Liberty Caps in oregon [Re: Woodsman]
    #325681 - 05/24/01 11:14 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Ya, I guess what I was trying to ask is where the very best places to look were and you hit that one right on, thanks. Lucky for me (maybe), I live on a five acre piece of land that is mostly field that has never been plowed and constantly walked on by two horses. In the bach there is a gully sloping downwards, forming a ditch. This meets all of your criteria so this year I may get lucky. Im sure I wont be harassed for looking on my own land! If I can't find any in my own field I will accidentally wander into the neighbors fields who have as much and more land, same as ours - constantly walked on by about 40 cows and has a bit of a downward slope in the back.

I have found lots of mushrooms in our field, but none which I trust to be magical so I would never eat them. This year, I WILL find them, even If I have to go to the beach, which I will be doing anyway I'm sure.

Thanks man

---Pyromaniac---

--------------------
Support the FSR!

Offlinecardboard
digitalautomatedansweringmachine

Loc: pac northwest
Re: Liberty Caps in oregon [Re: pyromaniac]
    #325799 - 05/25/01 02:02 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

uhhhh a liberty cap is a mushroom you do know?? You called them a plant thats why i ask??

--------------------
stay off my land

Offlinepyromaniac
addict
Re: Liberty Caps in oregon [Re: cardboard]
    #325923 - 05/25/01 10:46 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Hehe, I was a bit tired when I posted that, and I did'nt read it over before posting, only typed it out real quick and hit post. Yes I know liberty cap is a mushroom or else I wouldnt have posted it here. Just a simple honest mistake, thans for pointing it out though.

---Pyromaniac---

--------------------
Support the FSR!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom