Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSuedeShoes
Stranger
Does Wellbutrin interact with mushrooms?
    #3230818 - 10/07/04 11:40 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Hey all,

I might have some mushrooms in a couple of days, and I am on 300 mg of Wellbutrin XL. I was wondering if anyone knows if Wellbutrin has any interaction with mushrooms. Specifically, does Wellbutrin make it hard to trip? I have heard that SSRI's (selective seratonin reuptake inhibitors) decrease one's ability to trip, although others say that their ability to trip was unaffected. Thus, there seem to be conflicting views on this issue. Perhaps differing experiences are simply because antidepressants affect people differently, but, since no systematic study has been done, the differing experiences could be due to the different conditions under which the mushrooms were eaten.

Anyway, to make things more complicated, Wellbutrin is not an SSRI. Wellbutrin inhibits the reuptake of norepinephrine and dopamine. Thus, perhaps the effect that it has on one's ability to trip is different from other antidepressants.

Has anyone had any experiences taking mushrooms while on Wellbutrin? If so, please share them. I would greatly appreciate it. Incidentally, I am planning on skipping Wellbutrin doses for 2 days (that is, I will not take Wellbutrin the day before the mushrooms are consumed, or the day that the mushrooms are consumed). Perhaps I will report my experience here, if I feel it would be informative.

Thanks for reading,

SuedeShows

P.S. I searched the message board for topics containing the word Wellbutrin, and, although a number of posts came up, none of them really addressed my question.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

Re: Does Wellbutrin interact with mushrooms? [Re: SuedeShoes]
    #3230902 - 10/07/04 11:57 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

There are no interactions with bupropion.

I recommend people bookmark this link: http://www.bluelight.nu/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1995503

There are a lot of threads like this and I try to answer them all... And all my answers come from there.

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
Re: Does Wellbutrin interact with mushrooms? [Re: Ayrios]
    #3231138 - 10/08/04 12:37 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

::::Bookmarked:::: 

Thanx~  :smile:

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

OfflineSuedeShoes
Stranger
    #3231161 - 10/08/04 12:41 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the link, Ayrios. The information on that page seems very thorough and comprehensive.

I just have one question. On that page, under Bupropion (i.e. Wellbutrin), it says that "There are no known dangers from combining [hallucinogens] with Bupropion." That is reassuring, but I wonder if that also means that Wellbutrin does not decrease one's ability to trip. I only raise this point because I found an entry in Erowid's Experience Vault in which the person took mushrooms while on Wellbutrin, and was unable to trip.

Here's the link: http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=28129

Of course, this is just one anecdote. Still, I was hoping that someone on this board could confirm (from personal experience) that Wellbutrin does not affect one's ability to trip.

Thanks again for the info,

SuedeShoes

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3231533 - 10/08/04 02:08 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

The page also says it may act as a weak 5HT (serotonin) reuptake inhibitor. Mushrooms work by interacting with the serotonin. This could weaken the trip a bit but I think she'd have mentioned if a lot of people report it. A lot of people are on Wellbutrin and I'm inclined to believe that 'weak' really does mean weak in this situation. You probably wouldn't notice the small amount of weakening that may occur.

Offlinesilvanadelucci
Stranger

#12316449 - 04/02/10 09:51 AM (4 years, 23 days ago)

I have taken Welbutrin and Shrooms and it completely blocked any absorbtion of Psilocybin. I literally ate 10 shrooms and the only thing I felt was muscle spasms.

Taking the two in combination is a waste of time and mushroom.
Welbutrin is also known to lower the seizure threshold so it could actually put one at more risk than is acceptable.

OfflineJCosmo
Psychonaut

Loc: Flag
    #12835120 - 07/01/10 05:28 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

I know the OP is 6 years old but I'm replying because when I searched for the answer, I couldn't find it... so if anyone else is looking for an answer to whether Wellbutrin blocks the ability to trip, I can say that it doesn't. I take 300 mg daily and I had a level 2 on 7.5 grams wet.

--------------------
Pathological liar and expert at creating and photographing fake mushrooms.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience