Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTyger
PeAcE

Loc: My house (Canada)
Re: Help me prove him wrong please! [Re: Testify]
    #3173299 - 09/24/04 12:36 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I remeber hearing this in Highschool:
"Magic mushrooms are pure poison, they will kill you if you eat to much."

LOL

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekontron
captain planet
Loc: Eden
Re: Help me prove him wrong please! [Re: Tyger]
    #3175107 - 09/24/04 01:24 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

water will kill you if you drink "TOO MUCH". keywords "TOO MUCH" anyhting can hurt if not done in proper moderations. oxygen, water and anything else can be poison to the body in the right amounts. shrooms get you where you need to be without tempting a deadly amount. they also told me in highschool that weed would kill me and drive me insane, and it would lead to lots of other things. i was also told if i ha sex i would get std's for sure, so ihad to abstain from gettng laid. schools dont teach fact, just bullshit. half of your history class are lies anyhow.

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #3175797 - 09/24/04 04:01 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

If P.Cubes are poisonous than we should rededicate this site as one of those cult reliogions that believe in building up immunity to toxins as being close to GOD ! Like those snake bite people ... :crazy:

They are not poisonous !
There are however many species of mushies that are toxic for human consumption . P.Cubes are not one of them ! Many field guides list them as such .
It is called PROPOGANDA what your friend believes in, and perhaps he should never try P.Cubes for this reason .

PS The bad side effects of taking P.Cubes IMO is ............ coming back to reality ! Well this reality at least . :wink:

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Edited by tripndicular (09/24/04 04:02 PM)

Offlinekontron
captain planet
Loc: Eden
Re: Help me prove him wrong please! [Re: tripndicular]
    #3176638 - 09/24/04 07:57 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

PS The bad side effects of taking P.Cubes IMO is ............ coming back to reality ! Well this reality at least .

hell ya!

Edited by kontron (09/24/04 07:58 PM)

OfflineTyger
PeAcE

Loc: My house (Canada)
Re: Help me prove him wrong please! [Re: kontron]
    #3177123 - 09/24/04 10:19 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

"Well this reality at least . "
agreed

Offlineazurescens
    #3177732 - 09/25/04 12:57 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

From a physiological point of view, the human body's first line of defense against ingesting poison is to regurgitate it(this can be found in any physiology book). Seeing whereas the majority of people that ingest shrooms usually get that unsettling feeling in their stomache, sometimes resulting in said regurgitation....this could be attributed to the body recognizing the shrooms as poison. Strychnine is poison but if done in extremely small quantities and diluted(not something that I would EVER recommend) can result in altered reality without causing harm. Certain churches practice such rituals. The body respoding to poison is a documented fact....the rest is opinion and what not...except the church thing.....that is fact also. Bye bye

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Help me prove him wrong please! [Re: azurescens]
    #3178143 - 09/25/04 04:26 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Psilocybin comes around 400 places lower in the physical toxicity list than aspirin.

Clearly there are other factors at play why a minority of people vomit on mushrooms otherwise everyone would be vomiting aspirin. My guess is they don't capsule their shrooms and get a stomach upset from eating lots of unpleasant tasting fleshy mushroom material.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineTestify
i'm emo.
Re: Help me prove him wrong please! [Re: Xlea321]
    #3178886 - 09/25/04 12:39 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks alot guys for all the great info. He didn't say much when I showed him this thread. heh.

InvisibleHendostan
I'm a teapot

#3180014 - 09/25/04 06:32 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I read an article that stated that the only way you can die from eating psychadelic mushrooms was to eat an amount equal to your body weight...in which case you would've puked long ago and would be fine. So the short answer...They can't kill you!! Trip baby, trip! In a sense they are poisonous because it's a foreign substance entering your body, but they aren't poisonous in the way you would consider cyanide or arsenic to be poisonous. So whoever you were talking to is partly right and partly wrong. If you look at the big picture, they are nothing but wonderful.

OfflineHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
Re: Help me prove him wrong please! [Re: azurescens]
    #3180883 - 09/25/04 10:07 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

By weight, I guarantee water is more poisonous than cubensis.

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
    #3181866 - 09/26/04 02:54 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Try this.

Accept your friends premise that shrooms are poisonous. But then accuse him of an equivocation. I assume he has an argument like this:

Shrooms are poison.
You shouldn't eat poison things.
So, you shouldn't eat shrooms.

The correct response to this argument is to accept the premise "shrooms are poison" but reject the inference from the premises to the conclusion.

You do this by disambiguating. In order for "shrooms are poison" to come out true, poison must mean "listed as a toxic substance." We can call this definition poison1.

In order for "you shouldn't eat poisonous things" to come out true, poison must mean "a substance that causes harm to the body when ingested." We can label this definition poison2.

So his argument comes out:

Mushrooms are poison1
You shouldn't eat things that are poison2
So, you shouldn't eat mushrooms.

This argument is invalid. If we interpret what your buddy says so that both the premises are true, we have an invalid argument. If we interpret what your buddy says so it's valid, one of the premises is false. This is the best way to respond to him.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #3185520 - 09/27/04 07:39 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Alex, where did you get your information? Please list a link if you are going to make a statement of that magnitude. Contrary to alot of your beliefs while shrooms may not kill you, but they do have adverse side affects on your kindneys and liver. They contain a substance called alkaloids. Your kidneys and liver take damage when trying to process these out of your blodd stream. While you may not feel any physical changes, years down the road this can be a factor in renal failure and liver failure. Although alot of over the counter drugs are also very damaging to both kidneys and liver. Now that that is out of the way, enjoy shrooms. To live life constantly in fear of wether this im going to pay for a little enjoyment down the road is not living at all. And like everyone has said. Moderation is key, too much of anything is detrimental to the human body.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: Help me prove him wrong please! [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #3185929 - 09/27/04 10:56 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Just because something is an alkaloid, doesn't mean that it adversly affects your kidneys or liver. Studies done on Native Americans who used peyote in large amounts, monthly over a period of 25+ years, showed no increase in liver disease over Native Americans who did not use peyote at all. I see no reason why it should be assumed that psilocybin or psilocyn would be detrimental without any known clinical evidence to back up that claim.

Exactly how did you come up with your theories on alkaloidal degredation of the liver and kidneys?

I don't mean to make this a personal attack on you but you sound like you are reading straight from the D.A.R.E. handbook or something.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: Help me prove him wrong please! [Re: Ekstaza]
    #3185951 - 09/27/04 11:03 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

That or he believs Mc Gag Mes (Mc Donalds ) is good safe food to eat on a daily basis !  :wink:

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

OfflineHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
    #3186933 - 09/27/04 03:17 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Psht, -=YOU=- post a link about shrooms causing kidney failure... I'd like to read them.... currently all you've said was

Quote:

They contain a substance called alkaloids.

(which was quite funny)
only proving you cant even -name- the substance in shrooms, let alone educate US about their chemistry.

psilocybin is pretty close to alot of alkaloids already floating around your system, and again, not toxic in most any sense of the word.

www.erowid.com feel free to post after you've -seriously- studied the subject, like I'd wager alex has.

Anonymous

Re: Help me prove him wrong please! [Re: Lizard_King]
    #3187130 - 09/27/04 04:00 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Mushrooms are poisonous to the ego.

nnnnniiiiiiiiceee.........is anyone listening??????  :heart: :cool:

Offlineagr8fulchick
Feed Your Head!

Loc: Stranded in Iowa
    #3199794 - 09/30/04 11:58 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Some shrooms are poisonous, as many people have said. Here's something I just replied to another post...

"shrooms shouldn't be done a regular basis, because as somone said, messing with the way you mind functions too much just isn't good for those li'l synapses.

Here is something that someone hasn't mentioned. Some mushrooms are obviously poisonous (like amanitas) and can send you to a hospital in a hurry if you aren't careful. Other mushrooms that aren't poisonous can still have poisons IN them. You have to remember that fungi are the garbage disposals of nature, recycling what ever they happen to be growing on and turning it back in to soil (or whatever). In this process, they act like your liver, filtering out lots of bad things, and if you ingest the shrooms, you take these things in to your body. Most of these are in such small quantities that they are harmless, but some things, like heavy metals, stay in your body permanently, and if you do enough the heavy metals (and not the shrooms directly) will eventually kill you. This is especially important for people who hunt wild shrooms. I don't think it's really a problem for people who grow their own, because then they are in a sterile (hopefully) and controlled environment. Just a word of caution, know your source!"

In a way he's wrong. The mushrooms themselves aren't poisonous, it's what's in them. Like cows aren't bad for you, unless they are infected before they are eaten. Same idea.

--------------------
Life's a journey. Take the scenic route.

:sun: :heart: :heart: :sun:

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #3199981 - 09/30/04 01:09 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Alex, where did you get your information? Please list a link if you are going to make a statement of that magnitude

The one about psilocybin coming several hundred places lower in the toxicuty league than aspirin? The links been posted here before several times - a search on google should find it.

Your kidneys and liver take damage when trying to process these out of your blodd stream.

I'd need a source before I buy psilocybin causes liver and kidney damage.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisiblenuGGs
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #3205044 - 10/01/04 07:35 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

WOW, just what i was looking for. A few moments ago a friend of mine called me up and somehow we got into the "psilocybin is poison" debate. IMHO, to say psilocybin is "killing" you is a pretty bold statement.

thanks for all the info,
peace

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Help me prove him wrong please! [Re: nuGGs]
    #3205687 - 10/02/04 01:22 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

This is the erowid bit about toxicity and some guys theory about psilocybin as a poison (not sure about his idea that psilocybin is broken down to N-N-DMT as it's broken down to psilocin but some interesting points anyway...)

From Lycaeum -

Psilocybin does not qualify as a highly toxic substance when one uses traditional measures of acute toxicity such as the LD 50 (the dose required to kill 50% of experimental animals, usually rats.)
As a good psychedelic should, psilocybin, psilocin and psilocybian mushrooms have low toxicity -- in tests with mice, doses up to 200 mg of psilocybin/kg of body (in average human terms (65 kg) 13 grams) have been injected intravenously without lethal effects. The ED50 : LD50 ratio is 641 according to the NIOSH Registry of Toxic Effects; compare this with 9637 for vitamin A, 4816 for LSD, 199 for aspirin and 21 for nicotine. Poisoning, at least physically, is thus not a problem.

Thus, when death is considered as the toxic endpoint, psilocybin is one of the least toxic of the hallucinogens. Also, the potential for dependence (physical addiction) of psilocybin and hallucinogens in general is minimal to non-existent, which also tends to support the contention of the relative safety of psilocybin in comparison to other narcotics. However, fatalities and injuries have resulted from falling or car accidents caused by short-term behavioral and perceptual impairment. In a survey of adolescent Psilocybe users, 13% reported serious injury such as head trauma and loss of consciousness.

______________ ___________ ______ ____ __ _

SO PLEASE, PHAYYDE, Update your rap on this issue.

Love you man, but on this point i'm CERTAIN you don't know that i DO know, & that you are incorrect. I spent months of reading thru medical journals - not hippie sites.

The Cause/Effect of a Psylocybin trip is exactly the same as for an LSD trip. Re-modulation of the activity of serotonin at the neurotransmitter receptor sites.

Psylocybin is not a toxic substance - to the contrary it is actually a NATURALLY OCCURING NEUROTRANSMITTER! (sorry for yelling that)
BUT, in the last 10 years it has been confirmed repeatedly that serotonin, Pinoline and melatonin (which regulate consciousness and sleep) are enzymatically broken down and re-taken into the receptor sites. and Guess what?
Psylocybin is 4-Hydroxy-dimethyltryptamine(4-hydroxy-DMT) which is metabolized before entering the brain into N-N-DMT.
The enzymatic breakdown of melatonin is initiated in humans when we lay down to rest in a dark environemnt. Daylight inhibits this breakdown. Breakdown products are NN-DMT, 5-MEO-DMT!!!! Originally synthesized from the amino acid tryptophan in a series of biochemical steps, which simplified are: tryptophan to serotonin, melatonin, pinoline, 5-MeO-DMT, and finally NN-DMT.

Not Poison, Not Poison - it's the Molecule that gives us dreams, visions, timelessness, sleep and psychological replenishment. Not Poison!
(disclaimer: Biologically safe, no problem. BUT;Psychological / behavioral safety=depends on the users personal situation and relative mental stability)

Look this up ! .....

http://www.chaosnow.com/cgi-bin/chaostory.cgi?sect=Main&id=1093135659

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds