Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Shamanism [Re: Moonshoe]
    #3184422 - 09/26/04 10:46 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The only knowledge you have displayed is what you found in a Castaneda book, and you said you liked to eat a lot of shrooms. That is cool, but Castaneda and shrooms ain't what it is about. Just taking a few shrooms and talking about Don Juan requires no discipline or dedication...it is self-agrandizement. If this is what your educators are telling you about it you are getting ripped off in your education. I would like to know who your "experts" are because if you have ready access to such "experts" a trip to the Amazon is quite unnecessary. In my case I consider the experts to be Mircea Eliade, Mike Harner, Tom Brown, Mike Tausig, Pablo Ameringo, Rolling Thunder, Lame Deer, Jonathan Ott, and Joseph Campbell.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: Shamanism [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #3184431 - 09/26/04 10:49 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

hehe, well i can only give my own oppinions, not many people are likely to agree. I say that carlos castaneda equals the buddha and jesus simply because his philosophy has more noticeable and beneficial impact on my life than did the works of jesus or buddha. I find that what carlos castaneda says really resonates with me and is incredibly practical for both down to earth living (re: the warriors way) and more importantly it gives real, understandable methods for accesing the spiritual realms of existance.

To me, these two criteria are what make or break a spiritual teaching (teacher) 1. aplicability in regular daily life 2. Access to an experiential realm beyond the regular/mundane

As for the circular terminology, No one responded to my actual point except bmarley early on, so i contented myself with defending my terms and definitions from huehue for my own sick amusment. Are you happy now?!

:grin:

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#3184446 - 09/26/04 10:55 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

"Are you happy now?!"

Yes, my point is now made.

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Re: Shamanism [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3184468 - 09/26/04 11:02 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

well, now youve got yours. Make me happy by explaining what your point was? i thought it was that shamanism is entirely about healing and not about accesing various states of conciousness but apparently its something totally different.

For anyone lacking a sense of humour/sarcasm i was jsut saying the only reason i spend so much time trying to correct the mistaken is that i get a certain degree of enjoyment from talking on the shroomery and since no one else was talkin i had nothin to do but correct huehue on his mistaken definition of shamanism.

But now im going to smoke some weed, also for my own sick pleasure.

--------------------

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

#3184516 - 09/26/04 11:19 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

whoops sorry didnt see this, guess i have to delay my session

"The only knowledge you have displayed is what you found in a Castaneda book"

Im not exactly trying to 'display knowledge' my post is just about the fact that shamanistic experience is available to all of us, here in this society, right now. Your the one who turned this into a debate over terminology, so i responded in kind with defintions from my university textbook (Shamans, Prophets, and Sages: An Introduction to World Religions By Denise Lardner Carmody) and then another one from the good old dictionary

"and you said you liked to eat a lot of shrooms. That is cool, but Castaneda and shrooms ain't what it is about. Just taking a few shrooms and talking about Don Juan requires no discipline or dedication..."

um i dont think i said i like to eat a lot of shrooms in this post, nor is that exactly related. talking about don juan doesnt require discipline or dedication (for me OR YOU) nor was i ever trying to prove my 'discipline or dedication' to anyone. What DOES take those traits though, is taking the practices outlined by carlos or anyother teacher and using them steadfastly in your daily life.

"If this is what your educators are telling you about it you are getting ripped off in your education."

The only thing in this thread i took from my educators was that shamanism is practicing the techniques of ecstasy. I simply used Don juans terms of nagual and tonal because those terms perfectly describe the seen and unseen world with which shamans deal.

The experts to which i now have access to are the authors of my textbook (Denise Lardner Carmody) as well as the author of "the way of the shaman" (michael J. Harner) and carlos castaneda. As well as my religous studies teacher Karen Zappa.

These experts are experts in the academic, anthropological sense, and i never claimed that was all their is too it, that is why i have taken it upon myself to travel across the globe to learn from the other kind of expert, those who live and breathe this knowledge in their daily lives.

As far as I can make out the only thing you are so steadfastly opposed to is my definition of shamanism, which is taken from very credible sources and which you havent even attempted to refute with anything but ad hominem attacks.

On a deeper level i think you are so defensive because you perceive me as being some shroom gobbeling thrill seeking new age hippy who is defiling the sacred tradition of discipline and dedication that you like to think belongs to you alone. However, you are way wrong and acting like a bit of a jerk.

That is something i neither can nor need to prove to you .

good night.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #3184587 - 09/26/04 11:42 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Ah, yes. Tom "I slapped a grizzly on the ass and hid under my Jeep" Brown.

And Rolling "I turned a tendril of smoke into a tornado" Thunder.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Shamanism [Re: Swami]
    #3186856 - 09/27/04 02:49 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Tom Brown is legit in his abilities. I have read and utilised his tracking book, and it works good. I don't know if he really slapped a grizzly, but his survival lore is gold. I have practiced much of this survival stuff for years and Brown's work is simply the best on the subject. I remember reading Gavin DeBecker's book "The Gift of Fear" describing Tom Brown's tracking skills as nearly supernatural. Mr. DeBecker is a security analyst that has worked for the Secret Service on many occasion. It is worth noting also that the US Navy is currently sending Seals to Brown's school. Say what you like about his philosophy, but his skill are there. The most ringing endorsement I have heard in his favor was from Seal Team Six founder Richard Marcinko who was trained by Brown in survival. I am glad to see you read the Rolling Thunder book as well...you are quite well read apparently.

Edited by Huehuecoyotl (09/27/04 03:35 PM)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #3188718 - 09/27/04 09:24 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Say what you like about his philosophy...
Didn't realize I said anything about his philosophy. The latest Tommy Lee Jones tracker movie from a few months back was either based on some of Tom Brown's exploits or he was used as a consultant.

I am glad to see you read the Rolling Thunder book as well...you are quite well read apparently.
Someone thought I was joking when I said I have read over 2000 books. I NEVER joke.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Shamanism [Re: Swami]
    #3191825 - 09/28/04 02:16 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

"The latest Tommy Lee Jones tracker movie from a few months back was either based on some of Tom Brown's exploits or he was used as a consultant."

Both of those things are true, but it is to his credit that he forced William Friedkin, who saw Brown perform his skills during a survival class he took, to not use his name or model the real situation accurately. The knife Jones (the steel one)used in the movie was one of the knives that Brown teaches his students to make in class and it is a damn good knife...I got one.

"Didn't realize I said anything about his philosophy."

In truth I did not know whether you were saying it didn't happen, or if he was just an idiot.

Edited by Huehuecoyotl (09/28/04 03:17 PM)

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

#3191861 - 09/28/04 02:28 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

"I NEVER joke."

well, if THAT wasnt a joke, it was definetly a lie

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#3192031 - 09/28/04 03:14 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I know for certain that I have read an average of 2 books a week for the last 20 years, and that that is certainly more than 2000. I try to always be reading a fiction and a non-fiction book at the same time. Swami's boast is not that far out there at all if he is a book lover.

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

#3192140 - 09/28/04 03:40 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i certainly dont doubt swamis book reading i doubt that he never makes joke. i laugh at his jokes frequently.

I read lots to and he is older guy so hes prolly read lots

--------------------

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
    #4780957 - 10/10/05 04:38 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

making jokes is usually just pointing out the ironic component in a fictional or real situation.

everyone jokes to some extent or another!

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #4783195 - 10/10/05 03:37 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

nagual

OfflineRaiseTheDead
Stranger

Re: Shamanism [Re: Gomp]
    #11931809 - 01/30/10 07:25 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Gomp said:
nagual

:ass2mouth:  :blowme:  :atom:  :drysmash:  :facepalm3:  :eskimokiss:  :bobmarley:  :satansmoking:  :smile:  :regularshroom:  :thumbup:  :agentgtfo:  :fishgun:  :facepalm3:  :highfive:  :rofl2:  :gayflag:  :stfu:  :gayfish:  :fishsmack:  :coffee:

OfflineSenorGrande
Stranger

#11932008 - 01/30/10 07:53 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

When concentrating on the details, one tends to lose focus of the bigger picture.

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Shamanism [Re: RaiseTheDead]
    #11947247 - 02/02/10 11:10 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

RaiseTheDead said:
Quote:

Gomp said:
nagual

:ass2mouth:  :blowme:  :atom:  :drysmash:  :facepalm3:  :eskimokiss:  :bobmarley:  :satansmoking:  :smile:  :regularshroom:  :thumbup:  :agentgtfo:  :fishgun:  :facepalm3:  :highfive:  :rofl2:  :gayflag:  :stfu:  :gayfish:  :fishsmack:  :coffee:

(4 years, 3 months ago)

Invisiblec0sm0nautt
Male User Gallery
Loc: The Astral Realm
Re: Shamanism [Re: Gomp]
    #11947528 - 02/02/10 12:17 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

"This user is already banned from the BB. Additional action is not necessary at this time."

:laugh:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag