Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Kuehneromyces mutabilis or Galerina marginata ?
    #3159854 - 09/21/04 03:02 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

have found some mushrooms on a buried piece of wood that I think are Kuehneromyces mutabilis.
But since the were a bit older and did not grow in clusters I am not sure - the books always warn of a confusion with Galerina marginata.
They could be Galerina margerina because the did not grow in very big clusters and I could not find an annulus.
What me makes think that it is not Galerina but K. muitabilis is that I have found some of them at the same place in summer
and that the bigger heads had a size about 6 cm - which is a bit big for Galerina.

Here are some pics:

Here is a picture of the spore print and a microscopic pic of the spores I took with my digi cam ( sorry - could not make it any sharper ):

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Kuehneromyces mutabilis or Galerina marginata ? [Re: ragadinks]
    #3165262 - 09/22/04 04:39 PM (10 years, 30 days ago)

I'm leaning towards Kuehneromyces mutabilis, but I don't see enough details to be sure enough to eat them.

The biggest macroscopic difference between them is the surface of the stem. In Kuehneromyces mutabilis the stem is scaly (squamulose), and in Galerina marginata it is fibrous. In your photos (which are actually pretty good photos) I can't tell for certain.

Since you have a microscope, try looking at the spores at your highest magnification (1000x or more, oil immersion). The spores of Kuehneromyces mutabilis are smooth and the spores of Galerina marginata are verrucose (have little bumps on the surface).

Happy mushrooming!

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Kuehneromyces mutabilis or Galerina marginata ? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3200728 - 09/30/04 06:22 PM (10 years, 22 days ago)

Thanks for your tips and sorry for you my late answer - I have missed yours.
I also tend to K. mutabilis since I have compared the spores with the ones I know for sure that these are K. mutabilis and the look very much alike:
Unknown:

Known:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification