Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Loc: Way Up North
Re: maynard james keenan [Re: Adom]
    #3060836 - 08/28/04 03:57 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Q: The Third Eye is a visual theme that runs throughout your albums. On Aenima, it also takes the form of a song.
MJK: The Third Eye goes back a long way. It's what a comedian friend of ours Bill Hicks talked about.
Q: He often talked abbout how drugs open the Third Eye, but is it a subject that goes beyond the usee of drugs?
MJK: In his comedy, that's what he's talking about, but his underlying context has more to do with unity and our inner connection collectively. You literally have a third eye in your head. It's your pineal gland and it is an eye. It focuses light. People talk about dolphins and whales being more evolved, because they have a better breathing element. If you do meditation, you understand the idea of the Prana, breathing in light through the pineal gland. In mythology, there's talk about how people used to breathe that way, but over time, they began to breathe more through the mouth. That's the connection that we've forgotten.
Q: Is the use of drugs a way to enhance the Third Eye?
MJK: Drugs definitely give you an alternate perspective. Your consciousness is like a radio frequency. If you turn the dial, all those radio stations are there simultaneously. You can dial in to hear what station you want to hear. Consciousness is the same way. Through meditation, you can alter that, you can come upon an alternate reality. Drugs is a shortcut to that. The trick is to really understand the medium you used to get there. Don Quixote was like that. He was a slave to peyote. He could really get into this alternate consciousness. His guide was peyote, but he was a slave. He couldn't get there except through that medium. There's a lot of people on heroin writing amazing music, but it's a hard way to go, because you sacrifice your life.
Q: Do you condone the use of drugs?
MJK: Everyone has the right to their own experience, but it's a hard way to go. It's a hard decision to make without fear of repercussions. I don't do them. I used to do mushrooms.
Q: Comment on how the song 'Sober' isn't about saying no to drugs.
MJK: It's saying why can't we get along? It's about unity.

http://westwood.fortunecity.com/ozbek/680/toolpage/toolint3.html

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: maynard james keenan [Re: sillysimon]
    #3061147 - 08/28/04 06:56 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I have a question.... doesn't A Perfect Circle's guitarist/songwriter write the lryics for their songs? I seem to remember something along those lines... or perhaps it was only for the first album, since he did start the band..... anyone know? :laugh:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineWysefool
I AM SKELETON JELLY
Male User Gallery

Loc: BC
Re: maynard james keenan [Re: Adom]
    #3061208 - 08/28/04 08:21 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Eat psychedellic drug - Listen to Tool
There you go now you understand the song :P

--------------------

InvisibleRevelation

Loc: heart cave
Re: maynard james keenan [Re: NariusFractal]
    #3061245 - 08/28/04 08:53 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

sheister said:
13th step is the final step in the 12 step program created by AA for overcoming addiction. The 13th step is falling in love after you complete all the other steps.

THis album is definitely about the recovery process to heroin or any addiction for that matter...

Lying to get just what I need.

"she's got everything I need, pharmacy keys"

"Turning blue" (possibly an OD?)

-

Exactly, plus the line about "the nods". People get "the nods" from opiates. It makes sense.

I have long held that Third Eye was about peyote. Desert buttons etc.

"wiping the webs and the dew from my withered eye." The verse about the child's rhyme, (i'm sure he's talking about that row row your boat song). But I oten get spontaneous flshabacks from childhood when I'm on psychedelics

Third Eye is the greatest psychedelic art ever recorded.

--------------------

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Re: maynard james keenan [Re: fireworks_god]
    #3061804 - 08/28/04 02:04 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

No. Im pretty sure Maynard does most if not all of the lyrics.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

InvisibleRevelation

Loc: heart cave
Re: maynard james keenan [Re: ninjapixie]
    #3064343 - 08/29/04 04:44 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ninjapixie said:
'Holy crow', 'pull the pieces from the sand', 'desert buttons'. More then one line references to peyote. I think it's about using peyote to open his third eye.

:thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinesillysimon
PermanentPalinopsia

Loc: i have an STD,its HPPD ...
Re: maynard james keenan [Re: fireworks_god]
    #3065484 - 08/29/04 04:40 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

yes it is true that billy, the founder of the band wrote just as much of the lyrics as maynard did.

and to everyone else qustioning their perceptions of what manards says, listen he says things pretty straight forward if you have half a shit for intellect, though interpreting metaphors may fuck with some people, i think he graps the idea of his message flawlessly...he means what he means, not what you mean.

--------------------
In the dawn my toes are cold They spread their little trinkets on the ground In the hall By the closet door They creep into my bed without sound On a cube In a plastic egg A hundred fabric figures in a pile See them march Toward me And dance across the floor trippily Little faces keep no track of time Little faces speaking out in rhyme Little faces smiling in my mind Tiny doors For walking through sticky fingers clutch forbidden things the phone For talking through Sinking ships On a foamy sea That tumbles from the motion of filthy Little hands In the dark When eyes are wide listen to secrets that I tell In a ball On tiny beds Or beneath them where the shadow people dwell moon Beams split the night Leave bars of yellow pasted on their faces As they drift into a dream

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: San Pedro

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology