Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShroomNoob03
Seeker of Knowledge
Male
Loc: The Depths of My Psyche
PF Tek: Why is there so much substrate mix left over?!
    #2622959 - 04/30/04 06:11 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Alright, today was the day I was planning on sterilizing my PF jars. I did the appropriate measurements for 12 jars:

3 Cups of BRF
6 Cups of Verm
3 Cups of Water

Now, it seems like there is almost half of the mixture left over! What do you guys think happened? Is it that big of a problem?

Also, like I said before, I was PLANNING on sterilizing the jars. I had no idea it was going to take as long as it did. I think I was futzing around with those damn jars for almost 2 hours!!

NOW I won't be able to sterilize the jars until a later date (probably a few days). Will the jars be alright until then (they are tightly sealed)?

It also 80F in my house at the time so the job became very tedious. I seriously hope I don't have to do it all over again!!

Please help,
ShroomNoob03

--------------------
In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.

-Carl Sagan

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinemrTtheH
Micro Bio

Loc: C A N A D A
Re: PF Tek: Why is there so much substrate mix left over?! [Re: ShroomNoob03]
    #2622970 - 04/30/04 06:14 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

an unsterilized jar is going to go wild with backteria/mold contams if left out too long..

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

"Human beings, the potentially highest form of life expression on this planet have built the vast pharmaceutical industry for the central purpose of poisoning the lowest form of life on the planet--germs!"--Dr. Richard Murray

OfflineHaveABeer420
G.O.D.
Male

Loc: The Carnival of Souls
    #2622987 - 04/30/04 06:26 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

You made too much, next time make less. Either sterilize the substrate right then or don't use it.

--------------------
I don't charge by the inch I charge by the foot, think I'm lying bitch here take a look...100% U.S.D.A grade A beef, heres my card call me.

OfflineShroomNoob03
Seeker of Knowledge
Male
Re: PF Tek: Why is there so much substrate mix left over?! [Re: mrTtheH]
    #2622991 - 04/30/04 06:29 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

an unsterilized jar is going to go wild with backteria/mold contams if left out too long..

Well, how long is too long? I might be able to do it in an hour or two...but what do you think would be the maximum amount of time I could leave them alone? Would two days be too long? Wouldn't any bacteria that grew be killed during sterilization anyways?

Also, don't forget about the left over substrate...I didn't make any miscalculation as you can see. But does it really matter (that there is a lot left over)?

Thanks for the reply,
ShroomNoob03

--------------------
In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.

-Carl Sagan

Edited by ShroomNoob03 (04/30/04 06:36 PM)

OfflineShroomNoob03
Seeker of Knowledge
Male
Re: PF Tek: Why is there so much substrate mix left over?! [Re: HaveABeer420]
    #2623007 - 04/30/04 06:35 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

You made too much, next time make less. Either sterilize the substrate right then or don't use it.

How could I have possibly made too much?! I followed the recipe exactly! Also, I don't think waiting an hour or two is going to ruin my cakes...will it?

ShroomNoob03

--------------------

-Carl Sagan

OfflineShroomNoob03
Seeker of Knowledge
Male
    #2623044 - 04/30/04 06:52 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Alright, they are in the pots now. It has probably been a little over an hour since I finished filling them with the substrate. Am I wasting my time, or are these jars gonna be alright?

Also, I didn't put any tin foil on the jars. I just put them in there with the lids sealed tightly, and with the electrical tape on the inoculation holes...is that okay?

ShroomNoob03

--------------------

-Carl Sagan

OfflineShroomNoob03
Seeker of Knowledge
Male
    #2623069 - 04/30/04 06:59 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, they already reached a boil so I put them all on low. How often do you guys think I should check them to add more water? I don't want to waste valuable steam checking more often than I should.

Thanks,
ShroomNoob03

--------------------

-Carl Sagan

Offlinechrisdab
Friend
    #2623071 - 04/30/04 06:59 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Sterilize today or tommorow. Let it cool down afterwords for 8+ hours then innoc. Too much is not a big deal. Throw them out if u dont need and chalk it up to experience.

dun stress
everyting gona be all right mon

InvisibleButterNut
Squash

Loc: Throughout the world
    #2623073 - 04/30/04 07:00 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
Butternut squash are softer than acorn or other types of squash, which makes them easier to cut and prepare.

Edited by ButterNut (05/18/04 06:03 PM)

InvisibleButterNut
Squash

#2623083 - 04/30/04 07:02 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Dont keep opening the pot.As long as you turned down the heat and you put the water 1/3 up the jars they are fine you wont need to add more.

--------------------
Butternut squash are softer than acorn or other types of squash, which makes them easier to cut and prepare.

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #2623085 - 04/30/04 07:02 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I've waited till the next day to sterilize.

You need foil to keep water from getting into the jars and changing the water content.
PM me if I can be of any help

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

OfflineShroomNoob03
Seeker of Knowledge
Male
Re: PF Tek: Why is there so much substrate mix left over?! [Re: ButterNut]
    #2623096 - 04/30/04 07:06 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

#2 you should have used foil.You arent suppose to screw the lids down tight.Now your jars are going to have a vacuem inside nd when you remove the tapeair(and possable contams) are gonna get sucked in.That is why you leave the lids loose and cover with fpoil so no water gets in.

Oh jesus, I thought the foil was JUST there to keep water out of the jars if they were left loose. I would have put some foil on if I knew that was the reason for it.

Ugh, I hope inoculating in this bag isn't going to be a pain in the ass...cause it sounds like it! If I spray the bag with lysol, won't I have to wipe it out? If I don't wipe it, won't there be a big puddle of it in the bottom?

Thanks for the replies everyone,
ShroomNoob03

--------------------

-Carl Sagan

InvisibleButterNut
Squash

#2623105 - 04/30/04 07:08 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

its not a pain,and just spray lightly dont soak the bag.Dont do it if you dont want but IMO its a wise precaution in your circumstance,plus that way you can be 100% confident in your sterility.

--------------------

OfflineShroomNoob03
Seeker of Knowledge
Male
    #2623357 - 04/30/04 08:41 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks so much for everyone's replies!!

I guess I should chuck the rest of that left over substrate right? Or could I refridgerate it if I wanted?

Could I even freeze it, and just thaw it out when I need it? The freezing temperatures should keep away contams and bacteria.

Thanks again,
ShroomNoob03

--------------------

-Carl Sagan

OfflinemrTtheH
Micro Bio

Loc: C A N A D A
    #2623394 - 04/30/04 08:52 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

we did an expirement in a bontany lab about heat and freezing... destroying cells..freezing did the must damage to plant cells.... there might be some possibility of destorying the grain(substrate) cells....otherwise i dont know what to tell u other than try it and see...

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

"Human beings, the potentially highest form of life expression on this planet have built the vast pharmaceutical industry for the central purpose of poisoning the lowest form of life on the planet--germs!"--Dr. Richard Murray

Offlinejong21
Mycologist/CSMajor

Loc: Berkeley, CA
    #2623434 - 04/30/04 09:04 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

yeah try it man, I think you'd have a good possibility of that working out...after all it isn't hte grain cells that mushrooms like but rather the nutrients in them...freezing could have a beneficial effect (releasing whats inside the grain cells) but that is just ignorant hopefullness, but whatever, if u do end up doing it let us know.

--------------------
I either talk about my friends in the first or third person, but I never, ever talk about myself on this website. Except that last sentence.

InvisibleHallucinogen
Raoul Duke

Loc: Amsterdam
Re: PF Tek: Why is there so much substrate mix left over?! [Re: HaveABeer420]
    #2623531 - 04/30/04 09:34 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

HaveABeer420 said:
You made too much, next time make less.  Either sterilize the substrate right then or don't use it.

You have no clue do you ? I followed the exact same recepie and I had half a jar substrate left also, so think before you give advices :rolleyes:

--------------------
Substrate + jars = $20
Magic Mushroom spores = $12
Growing your own Magic Mushrooms = Priceless

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2623536 - 04/30/04 09:36 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Maybe you didn't put enough substrate in the jars.

How much space was there between the top of the jar and the substrate before you put the dry vermiculite layer on?

Are you using regular or wide mouth half pint jars.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Offlinejong21
Mycologist/CSMajor

Loc: Berkeley, CA
Re: PF Tek: Why is there so much substrate mix left over?! [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2623652 - 04/30/04 10:16 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I don't think it is possible to have that much space...are you sure you used 3/6/3 cups...and not like 6/12/6 cups on accident? I mean, I could see getting a cup measure and pint measure mixed up due to absent mindedness.

--------------------
I either talk about my friends in the first or third person, but I never, ever talk about myself on this website. Except that last sentence.

InvisibleHallucinogen
Raoul Duke

Loc: Amsterdam
Re: PF Tek: Why is there so much substrate mix left over?! [Re: jong21]
    #2623657 - 04/30/04 10:18 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Yea Im sure, that substrate calculator is junk.

--------------------
Substrate + jars = $20
Magic Mushroom spores = $12
Growing your own Magic Mushrooms = Priceless

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale