Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAnansi
------------

Reishi Mushroom?
    #2411703 - 03/09/04 07:10 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Found this specimen amongst others, I just yanked this one to identify. It was growing on a tree stump(unable to identify wood of stump) in a large flower bed/pot on my school's campus. This same flower bed/pot thing had so much Datura growing a few monthes back haha, and is about 100 ft from where I found my first cyans. Anyways macroscopically this mushroom seems similiar to a reishi. The pores are a rusty red color. The white you see all over the bottom on the last pic seems to be a fungus or maybe the spores, it comes off when I scratch it with my finger nail. This was found in the PNW in the Puget Sound area. Also what is the scientific name of reishi? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Reishi Mushroom? [Re: Anansi]
    #2411759 - 03/09/04 07:42 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Your specimen is duller than usual, but I'm inclined to say that it's a Ganoderma oregonense, a close relative of Reishi (Ganoderma lucidum). The rusty colored pore surface indicates that the specimen is fairly old - they're typically a pale cream color when young, and the spores are rust colored. Both of these species caps typically look very smooth and shiny, as if they had been varnished. There is also some suspicion among professional mycologists that they may actually both be forms of the same species. We'll probably have to wait for the molecular biology folks to do their thing before we know that for sure.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Damn straight I'm a hunter.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Estonia Flag
Re: Reishi Mushroom? [Re: Anansi]
    #2413173 - 03/10/04 01:36 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Looks like reishi to my eyes...albeit much paler than those I find, and as Toxicman suggests probably an old specimen, a little far gone would not ingest this puppy, keep looking around the area where you found this one for a deep red and shiny one would like to see that one, could perhaps give it a better ID.

Cheers

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

OfflineAnansi
------------

Re: Reishi Mushroom? [Re: StInvetroThomas]
    #2416247 - 03/10/04 07:31 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Thank you for the help people.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification