Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Mapping the Mycelial Network of Oregon
    #2392487 - 03/01/04 08:14 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

So, shroomers in the great western land of Oregon.. tell me about your mushrooms..

Tell me about the azurescens;
-Do azures grow towards eugene and portland, or are they just along the coast in austoria and such?

You have a Psilocybe cyanescens season also, right?
-How long is that season usually lasting for, and which cities are the cyans growing best?

Do people find stunzii's there too?
-Are they as prolific as they are in seattle?
--I don't often see people in Oregon posting pics of stunzii i don't think..?

I suppose you also have Amanita muscaria also..

And also edible-wise, are chantrelles and morels the main edibles there?
-you must have tons of mushrooms.. sheez

How does the shroom-season rainy/humid-season usually go for there, like which months
-And how cold does it get there in the winters?
-How hot does it get in the summers?

You people probably score the best bud on earth too, but im more interested in the mushrooms and the cities they grow :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Mapping the Mycelial Network of Oregon [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #2392686 - 03/01/04 08:58 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

GGreatOne234 said:

And matsutake too.

InvisibleStymee
From here to reality.
 User Gallery

Loc: Seattle, WA Flag
    #2392768 - 03/01/04 09:20 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

This time of year, go for morels, the season should be fully raging in 2 weeks.

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Mapping the Mycelial Network of Oregon [Re: Stymee]
    #2393187 - 03/01/04 11:48 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Probly be a bit later than that, unless I end up getting lucky and being able to hunt morels all spring break :grin:, hasn't happened before though.  Usually they start down in the lowlands east of the cascades right after I go back to school, late march-early april is typically when I find my first ones of the season.  Once the daytime temps get up around 70 for a day or two it's time to look.  Can't hurt to keep an eye out though, I'll definitely post some pics when I score some.

mmmmmmmmmmmm morels  :eyemouth:

DH

Offlineviscid
dikaryon
I'm a teapot

Loc: the mycological center of...
    #2403685 - 03/04/04 05:16 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

-Do azures grow towards eugene and portland, or are they just along the coast in austoria and such?
ANSWER:  Strictly a coastal phenomenon.  aside from cultivation efforts. :wink:
(Portland has a unique situation in that it is on the columbia, which is HUGE and opens into the pacific not too far down the river - both sides of the river have been known to produce mushrooms, how far inland is certainly debatable)

-How long is that season usually lasting for, and which cities are the cyans growing best?
ANSWER: It seems that the cyans are more prolific in the seattle/puget sound area because of the prevalence of HARDWOOD mulch usage.  Elsewhere in the pacnw the mulch is more commonly from timber trees, like doug-fir and red fir, which may produce, but not as many or as consistently as alder and maple....i found a nice fruiting of cyans last year on new year's day.  This year, the snow covered them for a while, and as soon as it melted, i picked a few...in early january.

Do people find stunzii's there too?  YES.
-Are they as prolific as they are in seattle?  Maybe moreso.    They fruit everywhere here in Oregon, more than cyans in my opinion.

--I don't often see people in Oregon posting pics of stunzii i don't think..? 
If the internet weren't such an insecure place, i would post everything i've ever seen.  i have pics.    maybe later.....

I suppose you also have Amanita muscaria also..
IT GROWS IN FRONT OF THE POST OFFICE AND DOWN BY THE RIVER AND IN THE LANDSCAPING AND IN YOUR YARD AND ALONG THE ROAD.  EVERYWHERE.

ANSWER: Almost every edible mushroom is represented here by a common species that fruits prolifically in it's particular habitat.  at the right time.  Boletus edulis fruits with hemlock and coastal pine and in some other strange places, like college campuses.  Cantharellus and craterellus are super-abundant.  in some places i can pick a five gallon bucket of chanterelles in half an hour.  morels fruit in the landscaping around here.  and in the burns.  and down by the river, and in the logging blocks.  in the coast range and the cascades.  they are just beginning.  Laetiporus is quite abundant, in season, as are oysters, lobsters, hericium (this year found one at about 20 lbs.), and shaggies.  matsutake fruit by the billions of dollars worth.  truffles don't stand a chance with all the trufflers around here.  black trumpets are hard to get, but fucking delicious.  what else?  agaricus galore!  augustus, campestris,subrutilescens...MMMMMMM!!!!  hey what about lactarius deliciosus!  or leccinums!  or lepiotas!!!!

How does the shroom-season rainy/humid-season usually go for there, like which months
ANSWER:  ALL YEAR LONG - HONESTLY. The best time (?) is fall, the most and the most diversity is from sept thru november.

-And how cold does it get there in the winters?
occasionally cold.  rarely cold for long.  hardly ever freezes.  never too cold to hunt mushrooms.  "temperate" they call it.

-How hot does it get in the summers?
can be pretty high temperatures, but nothing like fla or texas, or even the midwest.  Not hot enough to matter!!!

You people probably score the best bud on earth too, but im more interested in the mushrooms and the cities they grow.
---------->  you would say differently if you were here and then had to leave. :smile:

--------------------
You do not know me.

You can't see me.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Mapping the Mycelial Network of Oregon [Re: viscid]
    #2403696 - 03/04/04 05:23 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Well, i'm sold on the idea of flying up there to visit soon! :smile:

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #2403756 - 03/04/04 05:39 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

(In Oregon/Washington) Do people collect (edible) mushrooms and then walk into the grocery stores or resturants and able to sell them easily for a little profit?
-Here in florida something like that is basically unheard of... resturants buy their mushrooms strickly from grocery stores or wholesale from larger suppliers are only trusted..

Quote:

truffles don't stand a chance with all the trufflers around here.

--There must be tons of mushroom-hunters then eh?

During morel season, aren't there people who pick morels for a living? I've heard of people starting up in alaska and then picking (traveling) all the way down to oregon, morels, and selling them along the way to survive.
-So there must be tons of people fighting to find the mushrooms, no?

Here in florida, the only mushroom-hunters we really have are people hitting the fields for Psilocybes and Copelandia (for the most part).
-There really aren't many edibles worth much of anything.
--And (in florida) the ones that are edible, are difficult to identify..for some reason..so,

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2404149 - 03/04/04 07:36 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

You need a liscense and/or permit to sell mushrooms to markets.

Usually in the fall, in and along the Oregon Coast, several logging areas are rented out at a dollar or two a picker and there are people who will buy all of the shrooms you pick as you go to leave. Chantrelles net a few dollars a pound as opposed to 30 years ago when you could get ten dollars a pound or more.
So many pickers that the prices fall way down. And quatities are more important.

mj

A few years ago, 17 or more Viet-namese poisoned theriselves picking shrooms they thought were like ones they picked in Nam... And about 7 years ago several ASian mushroom pickers in both Washington and ORegon were murdered in the woods picking s e dible shrooms. Asins pick the matsutake and ship them each night freight express air to Tokyo where they fetch top pries of $50.00 an ounce at the dinner table in Tokyo restaurants.

mj

Offlineviscid
dikaryon
I'm a teapot

Loc: the mycological center of...
    #2408099 - 03/08/04 04:55 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Do people collect (edible) mushrooms and then walk into the grocery stores or resturants and able to sell them easily for a little profit?
.....WELL, IT DEPENDS.  THE BUYERS WILL OFTEN PAY MORE THAN THE RESTAURANTS, UNLESS YOU ARE A REGULAR SUPPLIER.  REST. OFTEN BUY THE LOWEST QUALITY MUSHROOMS, AND THE REST GET SOLD TO GROCERIES AND "BROKERS".  IN OCT/NOVDEC THIS YEAR, CHANTIES STAYED UP AROUND SIX BUCKS.  IF YOU PICKED NICE ONES, YOU COULD DEFINITELY PAY BILLS.  ONE GROCERY IN TOWN WOULD GIVE ME FOUR, BEGRUDGINGLY, WHEN I COULD JUST GO DOWN TO THE BUYER IN THE CITY AND GET 6.

THERE IS NO "LICENSE" TO SELL MUSHROOMS.  JUST A PERMIT.  AND EVERY FOREST HAS IT'S OWN SYSTEM, SO IT GETS CRAZY.  MOST BUYERS DONT CARE, UNLES FOREST PERSONELL ARE HARANGUING THEM.  WHICH HAPPENS, OCCASIONALLY.  MOST PEOPLE THINK THE PERMIT SYSTEM IS BENT TOWARDS POOR MANAGEMENT  ie - 'LOGGING IS OKAY, BUT THESE DAMN MUSHROOM HUNTERS ARE TEARING UP THE FOREST AND DEPLETING A RESOURCE...BLAH-BLAH-BLAH'
FUCKING IDIOTS.
There must be tons of mushroom-hunters then eh?
YEP.  BUT THERE IS MORE FOREST THAN MUSHROOMERS.  AND NOT ALL MUSHROOMERS ARE VERY SMART.  THIS MESSAGE BOARD SHOULD HAVE CLUED YOU IN, BUT THEN AGAIN, COMMERCIAL PICKERS DON'T COME HERE, THEY GO TO MATSIMAN.COM. BUYER/PICKER MESSAGES.
USUALLY. I AM ALONE IN THE WOODS.  THE FOREST IS STILL VAST, AND THE MUSHROOMS (SOME OF THEM AT LEAST) ARE CONTENT TO GROW IN SECOND/THIRD GROWTH, WHICH WE HAVE MORE OF THAN PAVEMENT, EVEN...
COMPETITION MIGHT SEEM FIERCE, BUT REALLY, IT AIN'T....

dAVID ARORA SPOKE THIS WEEKEND AT U OF O ABOUT COMMERCIAL MUSHROOMING WORLDWIDE.  HE HAS PLANS TO WRITE A BOOK ABOUT THE MUSHROOM CIRCUIT.  IT IS POSSIBLE TO HUNT YEARROUND, ESPECIALLY IF YOU TRAVEL.
LAST YEAR A FRIEND OF MINE CAME UP FROM SANTA CRUZ TO GET SOME MORELS IN EARLY MAY.  HE HAD ONLY MODERATE SUCCESS, SO HE WENT HOME A LITTLE EARLY AND PICKED 35 POUNDS OF CHANTERELLES IN THE MOUNTAINS SOUTH OF SANTA CRUZ THE NEXT DAY.  IN MAY.  I PICKED CHANTERELLES IN DECEMBER. 
THE CIRCUIT TAKES YEARS OF INFORMATION CULLING TO MAKE IT WORK.  AND APPARENTLY IT'S GETTING HARDER AND HARDER TO MAE IT WORK.  THE OLD TIMERS ARE DROPPING OUT LEFT AND RIGHT.
TOO MUCH REGULATION.
TOO MUCH LOGGING.
DAVID SAID THAT THE FORESTS WE HAVE ARE THE MOST REGULATED IN THE WORLD.

GOOD LUCK.  COME ON OUT.

MAYBE WE CAN HOOK UP.    I MIGHT BE COMING YOUR WAY IN A FEW....
PEACE

SORRY FOR YELLING, I HAD TO GET IT OFF MY CHEST. :lol:

--------------------
You do not know me.

You can't see me.

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2408119 - 03/08/04 04:59 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Viscid! I haven't seen you in a while! :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates