Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblesci33
AmbitiousScientist
The Experiments, vol. 2: Panaeolus cyanescens Australian * 1
    #2354256 - 02/19/04 10:11 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Hey guys,

This is a grow log for Pan cyan in which I am comparing the fruiting ability of two isolates that I worked with on agar. So here we go, step by step.

It all started with the beloved spore print.

Spores were germinated on agar on a few occasions..

Three isolates were seperated, two were chosen for this log. Even though isolate 3 didn't look so great, a week ago it put out about 10 pins on the agar! So it is colonizing jars right now to be tested out for fruiting potential after these are done. On agar, isolate 1 had slightly thicker growth and isolate 2 was on the fluffy side. Isolate 3 was inbetween. Isolate 1 on the left, isolate 2 on the right;

Rye Grass Seed soaked for 24 hours, strained well, placed in two pint jars with 1/4 teaspoon of calcium carbonate (CaC03) and 1/4 teaspoon of powdered Bee Pollen Granules in each jar. They were then pressure cooked at 15 PSI for 60-90 minutes (I can't remember).

Once cooled down and shaken, they were innoculated with tiny agar wedges and shaken again. Four days later half dollar sized growth was aparent in a few locations and they were shaken.

By day five isolate one was fully colonized, and by day six isolate two was fully colonized. Here are both of them at day seven before they were spawned to bulk substrate, isolate 1 one the left, isolate two on the right;

Although the picture doesn't show it, the mycelium of isolate 2 was noticably thinner.

Dry composted buffalo dung was acquired;

1.5 cups of Dung, 0.5 cups of coarse grade vermiculite, and 2 tablespoons of crushed oyster shell were mixed in a tray and moistened to field capacity. This was done twice and each placed in a quart jar. It was then PC'd at 15 PSI for 45 minutes, and once cooled down the RGS jars were shaken to the point that there was no visible mycelium and then placed inside the quart jars. The quart jars were then shaken too and placed back into incubation.

By morning, 12 hours later, isolate 1 was fully colonized and isolate 2 was beginning to recover. 24 hours later they were both fully colonized but allowed to sit for one more day.

In a glovebox, jars were shaken and broken up into two trays. A thin casing layer of Coco Coir / Vermiculite (with a bit of CaC03) was sprinkled on. In the fruiting chamber they are healing over;

Isolate 1

Isolate 2 (mycelium is thinner so it's harder to see)

If the mycelium spreads a lot more before I see pins, another thin casing layer may be sprinkled on in a day or so.

I will post more pictures as they come, hopefully pins are in the future. This, along with some cubensis trays in the fruiting chamber from my other post, are my first grow. Reading and research is king.

--------------------
Looking for:
Ps. weilii, Ps. samuiensis, Ps. hispanica, Pan. cyanescens (any strain I don't have)

Have:
Ps. cubensis, Ps. tampanensis, Pan. cyanescens (Australian, Tai-KS, Hawaiian, Jamaican, Ban Lipa Noi)

PM for a trade.

Edited by sci33 (02/19/04 01:18 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Experiments, vol. 2: Panaeolus cyanescens Australian [Re: sci33]
    #2354752 - 02/19/04 12:43 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

i am unbelievably jealous.  :mad::tongue2::biggrin::rolleyes:

nice job  :thumbup:

--------------------
buh

Invisiblesci33
AmbitiousScientist
Re: The Experiments, vol. 2: Panaeolus cyanescens Australian [Re: shirley knott]
    #2354792 - 02/19/04 12:57 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Thank you, but there's nothing to get happy about until I see fruits.

--------------------
Looking for:
Ps. weilii, Ps. samuiensis, Ps. hispanica, Pan. cyanescens (any strain I don't have)

Have:
Ps. cubensis, Ps. tampanensis, Pan. cyanescens (Australian, Tai-KS, Hawaiian, Jamaican, Ban Lipa Noi)

PM for a trade.

Offlinebutterflydawn
lucid dreamer
 User Gallery

Loc: lost at sea
    #2354820 - 02/19/04 01:06 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

i'm sure fruits will be perfect after that proffessional job
:thumbup:

--------------------
lucidal expansion

OfflineNewSpore
Just Starting toSee the Light

#2354903 - 02/19/04 01:32 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Lab quality prep! lysol spray or do you use a hood?

Either way looking good

--------------------
Be in truth and watch the magic happen.
SBP TEK

Invisiblesci33
AmbitiousScientist
Re: The Experiments, vol. 2: Panaeolus cyanescens Australian [Re: NewSpore]
    #2354995 - 02/19/04 01:58 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I use a glovebox I built out of a clear rubbermaid container, a 300CFM fan, and a HEPA replacement filter. I will take pictures of it next time I get the chance. Everything from the incubating chamber to the fruiting chamber are kept in my bedroom with plenty of dust all over the place. I have a small ionization/ozone filter running at all times to help a bit.

As far as sterility goes, I have a few chemicals for that. For spraying down the inside of the glovebox I do use lysol, but for my hands and everything else I use 70% Isopropyl alcohol. For my fruiting chamber I use a 10% bleach solution. Finally, I use Hydrogen Peroxide for various things like wet perlite, humidifier reservoir, and a light solution for spraying down casing layers if need be.

A great post on the subject:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...amp;o=&vc=1

--------------------
Looking for:

Have:

PM for a trade.

OfflinesinoptiK
TranceAddict

Loc: USA
    #2355052 - 02/19/04 02:11 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

great work so far sci33.  I was hoping your upload limit would be refreshed today but I guess not :frown:

I look forward to seeing more pictures on this ongoing project.  Thanks.

Anonymous

#2356412 - 02/19/04 07:04 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

That was some fast colonization on the dung.

don't worry about overlay.  Just mist them daily until you see a button, then stop and wait till harvest.

Buttons usually take 5-9 days on average to form from application of casing.  Sometimes they take a little longer.

Looks great so far.  :thumbup:

Invisiblesci33
AmbitiousScientist
Re: The Experiments, vol. 2: Panaeolus cyanescens Australian [Re: ]
    #2357228 - 02/19/04 11:35 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Here they are tonight;

Isolate 1..

Isolate 2..

The first isolate is much thicker and more vigorous than the second, so unless the 2nd puts out some nice fruits.... :frown:

I'm going to be away for most of this weekend so I decided to put another thin casing layer on them.  Gave it a good spraying.  Will post updates, only been in the fruiting chamber 24 hours so far, hopefully should see pins Monday or Tuesday.

--------------------
Looking for:

Have:

PM for a trade.

Edited by sci33 (02/19/04 11:37 PM)

Offlinecomario2
amateur

Loc: between places
    #2358173 - 02/20/04 05:43 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
comario

"crusaders against emotional poverty"

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #2358225 - 02/20/04 06:27 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Australian Pan cyanescens are genetically superior and more diverse in fruiting characteristics to many of the more redudant varieties available on the OMC.
Im sure they will both perform well. Ive fruited six Australian isolates -maybe more - and all fruited well.

--------------------

Invisiblesci33
AmbitiousScientist
Re: The Experiments, vol. 2: Panaeolus cyanescens Australian [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #2358699 - 02/20/04 09:21 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I've got three other cyanescens strains that are germinating now on agar, so we'll see how different the fruiting characteristics are.

--------------------
Looking for:

Have:

PM for a trade.

Anonymous

#2358837 - 02/20/04 10:05 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I did not notice that they were any more superior to any of the other cyanescens in circulation.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #2362170 - 02/21/04 12:35 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Really? I found the cambo yielded quite well and the thai - but that the aussies always produced bigger fruits and yields - maybe its just the luck of the aussie??

--------------------

Invisiblesci33
AmbitiousScientist
    #2362333 - 02/21/04 01:13 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Not that I find myself qualified to comment on the subject, but even if the aussies produced bigger fruits, how would that be considered genetically superior? If anything, it's just another macroscopic difference / growth characteristic of that strain.

--------------------
Looking for:

Have:

PM for a trade.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2363138 - 02/21/04 09:52 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

In some research I did with Tjakko Stijve we found that the Australian shrooms were high in psilocine and low in psilocybine, The Hawaiian Copes were high in both chemicals and the Koh Samui's were high in psilocine but no psilocybine

Here is the results of our study. Without the chart.

mjshroomer

Invisiblesci33
AmbitiousScientist
Re: The Experiments, vol. 2: Panaeolus cyanescens Australian [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2368119 - 02/22/04 01:45 PM (20 years, 30 days ago)

Ok, I just got back after being away since Friday. Lots of growth, no pins, but overlay;

Isolate 1:

Isolate 2:

The mycelium is just all over the place, on the first isolate this big thick bubble of mycelium was even formed. I'm thinking to case it again tonight, but Teonan you say not to worry about overlay?

Since I was gone for the past 2 days I was not able to fan it, and I'm thinking no pins formed maybe for that reason.. either way it's on the right track I hope.

--------------------
Looking for:

Have:

PM for a trade.

Offlinetastyshroom
Mr.Shroom
Male

Loc: Washington
    #2369469 - 02/22/04 07:52 PM (20 years, 30 days ago)

ur going to be a very happy person

--------------------
Perspective on life always changes

InvisibleTheDrugStore

Loc: Hawaii Flag
    #2369681 - 02/22/04 08:55 PM (20 years, 30 days ago)

Overlay will kill your mycilium.. and no mushrooms will grow from it from what ive read in the FAQ.

I suggest you case the tops again with another layer. That is so MAD overlay and more then likly its dead mycilium on top.

--------------------
Penalties against drug use should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against the possession of marijuana and mushrooms in private for personal use.

Anonymous

#2370074 - 02/22/04 10:22 PM (20 years, 30 days ago)

Size of mushroom is more related to the quantity of pin set, and number that grow to maturity.
Cambodian produced the most pins that matured and resulted in the most mushrooms per dry gram sample.

Hawaiian and aussie resulted in the largest fruits and the fewest fruits per dry gram sample.

I did not notice a substantial increase in yield between any of the strains. I found more difference depending on substrate, within each strain.

Just my experience though, and I did not test many isolates of the aussie.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags