Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDexter666
journeyman
Loc: NH
Holes in casing terrarium.
    #2322994 - 02/10/04 11:46 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

It was suggested to me that I should put some holes in my casing terrarium which is a 20gal tub that I'm casing directly into, my question is should I too reduce opening the container for fanning and increase air exchange? If so then what should I use to keep out contaminates, I was thinking either polly fill or filter discs but how should I go about this and should I sterilize the material, also how many holes should I use at what width and distance apart to allow for atleast enough air exchange to be able to fan only once a day for a very short period of time as I'm worried about contamination. If I put enough holes for air exchange could I not even have to fan at all as is with some grow kits i'm told which have holes in them so you don't need to fan at all, so is this possible with such a big casing while allowing full growth as if fanning three times in a 12 hour period which i'm told is optimal although I also heard three times in an hour but I assume thats overdoing it as many people can't fan that often.

--------------------
Just say NO to police searches!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineslammin007
yearnin' talearn

Re: Holes in casing terrarium. [Re: Dexter666]
    #2323114 - 02/11/04 12:11 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

You seem really worried about contamination; is your place really dirty or somethin'? If the substrate is fully colonized it's pretty resistant to contams, especially when fresh (i.e. before the first flush). The only reason you would have to worry about contams is if your place is really dirty, or there's too much humidity, or substrate nutrients have been quite depleted.

If you want to put holes for air exchange, you might want to put them on the bottom, since CO2 moves to the bottom. In that case, the more the better, but I'd put some kind of filter over the holes so crap like dust isn't moving in on your shrooms.

Personally, I think you'd be better off just lifing the lid and fanning a few times a day. It shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck

OfflineDexter666
journeyman
Re: Holes in casing terrarium. [Re: slammin007]
    #2325479 - 02/11/04 06:19 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Any one alse want to add in there two cents esp. about whether synthetic filter discs will wok ok.

--------------------

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
    #2325495 - 02/11/04 06:22 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

They will work fine, I made holes and never put any filter over them. I think my place is pretty clean though so I may be different.

Offlinedaywalker
Do you dream in color?

Loc: in my skin
    #2325508 - 02/11/04 06:25 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

No matter how many holes you have fanning will still be required for optimal results. 3 good vigorous fannings a day will be sufficient.

SWIK has four 1/4" holes in the lid filled with polyfil. Additionally, they have 2 holes of the same diameter on each short side of the terraium, also filled with polyfil. The holes on the sides are toward the bottom as the C02 is heavier than air.

They use no artificial humidity and haven't had any contams as of yet - all this in a moderately clean condo with 2 felines that love to shed all over and gaze into the container.

--------------------
"I suggest we ... learn to love our ... selves before it ... becomes illegal."

OfflineDexter666
journeyman
Re: Holes in casing terrarium. [Re: daywalker]
    #2334296 - 02/14/04 12:57 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Ok so when I first case the co2 level should be high so thus I should leave my container closed but I was wondering for how long? or is it just till the mycelium overtakes the casing? I then begin fanning correct because reduction in co2 triggers pinning along with light, but if I put holes in my container with filter discs the co2 levels will be reduced before it even beginns and will this trigger pinning even though mycelium has'nt developed the casing yet or screw it up some other way, either way it would'nt be good so what should I do about that cause I think adding holes will make a difference for fruiting but I want things to go smoothly and so maybe I could cover the holes somehow? Now for the filter discs should I tape them on the outside or inside? and what type of tape, probally sterile medical tape right? Also what should I do to sterilize the discs if they even need to be, I was thinking about just soaking them in lysol or IPA, letting them dry and taping them on there but will this ruin the discs? Now as for covering the holes(if they need to be) what do you think would work? i was thinking about just taping something over the disc holes and untaping it when fruiting but I can't think of what I should use?

--------------------

Offlinedaywalker
Do you dream in color?

Loc: in my skin
    #2334332 - 02/14/04 01:07 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

First of all, let the mycelium run through the casing in the incubation stage. This is after applying the casing layer and in complete darkness and high C02. Then into the chamber (your setup with discs is fine - don't worry about sterilzing them, tape them on the outside using whatever tape that will hold it) it goes where C02 is reduced (fanning) and cooler temps initiate the primordia and pinning.

If you don't already have 'The Mushroom Cultivator', check it out in PDF format. This is a big file. Or better yet, BUY THE BOOK. It has the answers to all of your questions.

--------------------
"I suggest we ... learn to love our ... selves before it ... becomes illegal."

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix