Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblegrownright
Duke of Lizzards
I'm a teapot

Loc: Deep South Flag
23qt presto @ 20psi
    #22335999 - 10/05/15 08:20 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

So I've rigged my presto to reach 20psi using a couple of quarters and some tape on the rocker. I've run it twice now at 20psi, both times I was pcing bags of grain. The first time a 7qt bag of wbs. The second 2 8qt bags of wbs, both times for 2 hours. I plan on getting an AA 930 soon to replace to presto, the presto is loud mane. But does 2 hours at 20psi sound like too long for pcing grain or about right? Also how worried should I be about running this pc at 20psi? lol

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineiSmkGrnBud
Psychonaut
 User Gallery

Loc: Your subconscious
Re: 23qt presto @ 20psi [Re: grownright]
    #22336096 - 10/05/15 08:51 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

I'm sure it will be fine. But then again most pictures you see of exploded PCs are prestos. I use the 23 qt as well. I never have an issue running 15 psi for 1:45 in mine. Personally I wouldn't go over 15 psi, but I'm a pussy around certain things. :shrug:

--------------------
:bigweed:  iSmkGrnBud's Teks  :bigweed:
:mushroomgrow: iSmkGrnBud's Wild Mushroom Finds :mushroomgrow:
:amanita2: The Noob Forum's List of Teks :amanita2:

“The probability of success is difficult to estimate; but if we never search the chance of success is zero.” -Giuseppe Cocconi

InvisibleJuiceh
Dabbing All Day
 User Gallery

Re: 23qt presto @ 20psi [Re: iSmkGrnBud]
    #22336357 - 10/05/15 10:34 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

2 hours at 20psi should be ok for bags of grain that size.

Get that AA930, you will love it.  :inlove:
If you want the AA to be silent, do the stopcock conversion and get the red blow out plug.

--------------------
Trade List

How I make 15 lbs of casing in a 941. How I line 12 shoeboxes with 1 39gal bag. How I Deep Fry Cubes!
RogerRabbit said:You need a bigger pressure cooker for this hobby. RR

Offlinemidnightmaraude
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: 23qt presto @ 20psi [Re: Juiceh]
    #22336370 - 10/05/15 10:37 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Nice signature pic Juiceh!  And yes it is completely silent. You won't know it's even running unless you stand close to it and feel the heat pouring off from it when you're running at 20+psi

Invisiblegrownright
Duke of Lizzards
I'm a teapot

#22336401 - 10/05/15 10:48 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Juiceh said:

If you want the AA to be silent, do the stopcock conversion and get the red blow out plug.

Haha, I can't wait til I get it, it's next on my list of purchases. I've got a really good paycheck coming in soon (clockin in that overtime boi) and it's going towards that. And yeah thats what I planned to do with it once I got it, I wish it were possible with a presto haha. Rigging mine like I did made it a little quieter but it's still pretty obnoxious.

--------------------

InvisibleFriedEggS
I'm a teapot

Loc: Taiwan
    #22336511 - 10/05/15 11:23 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

if you're going to over clock your pressure cookre, i'd sure as hell triple check the safety and conditon of all the parts on it.  read the manual and it will say how to check the condition.

--------------------

(Yes, the egg is real)

How to post pics

InvisibleJuiceh
Dabbing All Day
 User Gallery

Re: 23qt presto @ 20psi [Re: midnightmaraude]
    #22336577 - 10/05/15 11:43 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

grownright said:
Quote:

Juiceh said:

Haha, I can't wait til I get it, it's next on my list of purchases. I've got a really good paycheck coming in soon (clockin in that overtime boi) and it's going towards that. And yeah thats what I planned to do with it once I got it, I wish it were possible with a presto haha. Rigging mine like I did made it a little quieter but it's still pretty obnoxious.

Is the vent pipe that the pressure weight sits on removable for the presto? I can't find many good pictures of the vent without the weight on it. But it looks like it has a wrench-able surface that would allow it to be removed with the right socket, or a crescent wrench. Then its just a question of if you need an adapter to fit the stopcock, and finding that adapter. I don't know what the stock presto blow out plug is rated at or how it compares dimensionaly to the AA plugs, if they are interchangable you could try the red plug in the presto. I mean, if you reeeeally wanted to you could probably do it. I would not recommend it though. I don't want you to become an exploded presto statistic. :frown:

Quote:

midnightmaraude said:
Nice signature pic Juiceh!

:evil:

--------------------
Trade List

How I make 15 lbs of casing in a 941. How I line 12 shoeboxes with 1 39gal bag. How I Deep Fry Cubes!
RogerRabbit said:You need a bigger pressure cooker for this hobby. RR

Invisiblegrownright
Duke of Lizzards
I'm a teapot

#22336591 - 10/05/15 11:49 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Juiceh said:
Is the vent pipe that the pressure weight sits on removable for the presto?

No it's one solid piece with the lid. I wouldn't do it anyways, the prestos are aluminum, I'm not sure how well it could hold up being run in high pressures over and over and over haha. Im happy with 20psi anyways haha, I'll wait til I have an All American before I go above that

--------------------

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 23qt presto @ 20psi [Re: iSmkGrnBud]
    #22336682 - 10/05/15 12:09 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

iSmkGrnBud said:
But then again most pictures you see of exploded PCs are prestos.

The only explosions I would worry about at 20psi are exploded grains, which can happen at higher pressures. Also some say certain filter materials will not handle it, and may fuse together, I don't think I have found this happen myself though. I have had deformed syringes and plastic containers from higher pressure/temps, totally ruined.

Quote:

grownright said:
I wouldn't do it anyways, the prestos are aluminum, I'm not sure how well it could hold up being run in high pressures over and over and over haha. Im happy with 20psi anyways haha, I'll wait til I have an All American before I go above that

You know AA's are aluminium too. Might be thicker though, pressure cookers are usually designed to take well above operating pressure, 20psi is fuck all really.

OfflineFreeWorldOrder
Male User Gallery

Loc: Indiana, USA Flag
    #22336763 - 10/05/15 12:28 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

If it's a newer presto with the rubber safety plug you risk blowing the plug out of the lid and scalding yourself or anyone near it.

Personally I would use it at 15psi. I have no problem running mine for 2 hrs.

Shouldn't need anything longer than that anyways...  :shrug:

--------------------
"They who can give up essential liberty, to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Lets Grow Mushrooms Videos
PastyWhyte's Easy Agar TEK
Agar's Liquid Inoculant TEK

Invisiblechampinhom
Lord Justhappensness
Male User Gallery

#22336819 - 10/05/15 12:50 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

grownright said:
So I've rigged my presto to reach 20psi using a couple of quarters and some tape on the rocker. I've run it twice now at 20psi, both times I was pcing bags of grain. The first time a 7qt bag of wbs. The second 2 8qt bags of wbs, both times for 2 hours. I plan on getting an AA 930 soon to replace to presto, the presto is loud mane. But does 2 hours at 20psi sound like too long for pcing grain or about right? Also how worried should I be about running this pc at 20psi? lol

I wouldn't jerryrig a pressure cooker that way. You could blow yourself up. And who is going to pay to put you back together again? Presto?

--------------------
My father used to say: I don't care what else you do in life, just don't be an asshole. People, forgive me when I forget what my daddy said.

Cut back the proliferating list of people whose opinions can hurt you. Unless they have done or want to do you some good, their views are just not worth tracking.
Saul Bellow

“People are just cannibals unless they leave each other alone.” Doris Lessing

Those whom the gods would save, they dower with compassion. Mr. P.  Silocybin

InvisibleMad Season
hookers and blackjack
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 23qt presto @ 20psi [Re: champinhom]
    #22337168 - 10/05/15 02:42 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Well obviously having a look over for any kinks or anything bad is what you'd first do. And lubing any rubbers/gaskets. The point of putting the coins/weight on the rocker is to make it quiet. It shouldn't be loud. My presto has gone up to 25 psi and still makes no noise. I aim for 20-23 for 2 hours on qt jars.

Also it's industry standard to test pressure cookers to over 100 psi before selling them. 20 psi isn't going to be a problem. Unless you run it dry. Which is the point of using the added weights to the rocker, so you aren't losing too much steam.

--------------------
contam and car window art
How to shroomery like a pro! (Seriously, everyone read this!)
Improve your sterile techniques! (A comprehensive guide to agar)
Links upon links of literally EVERYTHING UP TO DATE

AMU Q&A
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

InvisibleFriedEggS
I'm a teapot

Loc: Taiwan
Re: 23qt presto @ 20psi [Re: Mad Season]
    #22337323 - 10/05/15 03:16 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Mad: I seem to remember you had 2 PCs fail?  Do you think it's related?

--------------------

(Yes, the egg is real)

How to post pics

InvisibleMad Season
hookers and blackjack
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 23qt presto @ 20psi [Re: FriedEgg]
    #22337399 - 10/05/15 03:36 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

I ran both of them dry :lol:. Could smell burning on the inside and when they cooled down, one had its gasket compressed hard core, and the other has a pin hole sized hole on the bottom. They were crappie ones anyways. No name cheap ones I found for free. I could fix them but im not going to. I found out since I got my presto their weights didn't even hold 10 psi... :facepalm:

--------------------
contam and car window art
How to shroomery like a pro! (Seriously, everyone read this!)
Improve your sterile techniques! (A comprehensive guide to agar)
Links upon links of literally EVERYTHING UP TO DATE

AMU Q&A
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Invisibleblackdust
 User Gallery

Re: 23qt presto @ 20psi [Re: Mad Season]
    #22341241 - 10/06/15 02:26 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

i have 2 quarters silicone on my 23 qt presto
i keep that shit at 15 - 17 psi without any noise though

---i would not feel comfortable running a presto at 20 psi :doggystyle:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures