Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleKalistis
 User Gallery

Are 1 ¼ inch holes too small for monotub?
    #22330110 - 10/03/15 08:22 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

I have 70 qt Sterilite Ultra Latch tubs and a 1 ¼ inch hole saw for my drill. I will be placing my tubs outside (High of 85) in the shade. Should I stick with the standard 6 holes, increase the number of holes, or scrap the drill entirely and use my dremel, and increase my hole size to 2 inches?

I kinda liked the idea of the 1 ¼ inch holes for the purpose of keeping small animals out of the tubs, but I could get creative and add wire over the holes to achieve the same thing. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Are 1 ¼ inch holes too small for monotub? [Re: Kalistis]
    #22330147 - 10/03/15 08:29 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

I use 1 inch holes in my tubs. 8 on top and 6 on bottom for 66qt monos. 6 on top and 4 on bottom for 27qt monos. Hole size isn't that important. Just adjust them a cording to your conditions to get it properly dialed in.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

InvisibleKalistis
 User Gallery

Re: Are 1 ¼ inch holes too small for monotub? [Re: MudaFuka]
    #22330785 - 10/03/15 11:14 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Here's something I do know. No matter what size holes you decide to go with, use the correct tools. Hahahaha. I just blew apart the plastic on one of my containers with one of these bad boys:

Even with the pilot hole and anchor, the plastic essentially shattered into pieces. Maybe my girly upper body strength wasn't enough?

Anyway, I popped some holes (not all that pretty) with my Dremel instead. Much easier! You live and learn, I guess.

--------------------

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #22330828 - 10/03/15 11:26 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

I use a 1" wood drill bit.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

OfflineNorthernerM
splelling chceker
 User Gallery

Loc: FNQ
Re: Are 1 ¼ inch holes too small for monotub? [Re: MudaFuka]
    #22330879 - 10/03/15 11:40 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

I use a ordinary hole saw, but crank the power drill up as fast as it will go and take it real light on the pressure.

--------------------
The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.

InvisibleKalistis
 User Gallery

Re: Are 1 ¼ inch holes too small for monotub? [Re: Northerner]
    #22330929 - 10/03/15 11:55 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Here's where I am. Holes drilled and covered with tape.

My first 12 jars are ready to go and my Damion Coir tek with added gypsum is about to be added. I was planning on lining the tubs with thin trash bags.

--------------------

InvisibleLocN9ne
ɢᄋᄋd ԲᄋЯ ᄁᄋȚᅢΙᄁɢ ᄂᄋ₩ᄂΙԲᄐ
 User Gallery

Loc: to the brain Flag
    #22330954 - 10/04/15 12:02 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

:vibin: fuck yeah

--------------------

Q&A
US vs. THEM

The more I learn, the less I know.

Invisiblegizmo1
Other User Gallery

Loc: FREEDOM Flag
Re: Are 1 ¼ inch holes too small for monotub? [Re: LocN9ne]
    #22331116 - 10/04/15 01:24 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

I use a 1" paddle bit with a 66qt sterlite:shrug: 2 on top 4 down low? On a side note holy shit my latest mono took forever to pin like a month after sitting fully colonized for about 2 weeks before putting into fruiting.
No side pins no top bins bottom nothing. Now it took off out of nowhere. Must have bacteria...

--------------------
Trade List
🖕🖕🖕
6 hole Mini Monos

Offlinepixelpopper
Crap Artist

Loc: Dreamland
Re: Are 1 ¼ inch holes too small for monotub? [Re: gizmo1]
    #22331131 - 10/04/15 01:37 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

I just tried using a 1.5 inch paddle bit to drill the holes in my first mono the other day, and my tub wasn't having it. Don't know if the plastic on this particular tub was just really thick or what, but it didn't want to drill through and then just put a bunch of cracks & breaks all around the drill point. Ending up getting the job done but its not so pretty looking

Offlinepixelpopper
Crap Artist

Loc: Dreamland
Re: Are 1 ¼ inch holes too small for monotub? [Re: pixelpopper]
    #22331166 - 10/04/15 01:53 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Just came across this post while browsing related threads. Think I may give it a shot on the next tub

Quote:

Ghost4 said:
if you get a tomato paste can, usually 2 inches in diameter, I've seen people heat up the end of the can (once it's empty :facepalm:) and use that to just push through the plastic on the side of the tubs, make sure your measurements are correct :smile:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/18196939

InvisibleKalistis
 User Gallery

Re: Are 1 ¼ inch holes too small for monotub? [Re: pixelpopper]
    #22331183 - 10/04/15 02:03 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

I have been busy! I decided to make my holes larger than most since my tubs are going to be outdoors and I want as much flexibility to fine tune if necessary.

I went ahead and spawned my first 11 jars of WBS in Damion5050's coir tek with the addition of 1 cup of gypsum. One of the 12 jars looked suspicious so I decided not to use it entirely.

I was half expecting the jars to smell terrible as I cracked them open, but was pleasantly surprised to discover that they had a nice earthy smell. Honestly, the smell made me hungry...

The proceeding pics show the spawn mixed with the substrate and then with a top layer of just the substrate. I took the suspect jar and mixed it in with the left over coir mix and threw a lid on it. I am curious what will grow.

I don't need to keep these tubs in a dark area, correct? Can they sit out in my living room with a natural cycle until I decide to fruit them outside or should I tuck them away?

--------------------

OfflinetaGyo
Strainiac/AMU
Male User Gallery

Loc: Journal Land Flag
    #22331479 - 10/04/15 06:35 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Looks good, even out that surface, promotes a better pinset.

--------------------
Gyo's Better Grows
TNF Q&A :rockon:
AMU Q&A

Dominus fortunae meae sum

Invisibleuncle_rico
my own worst enemy
Male User Gallery

#22331773 - 10/04/15 08:50 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

to answer your original question ....  I have used hole sizes ranging from 1" to 2".

my favorites are the 1" and 1 1/4" tubs because I like the way the polyfil 'holds' in the smaller diameter holes.  my friend prefers 2" tubs.  You can adjust and fine-tune FAE with the amount of polyfil used.

we learn by doing.  looks like you are learning a lot.  good luck to you.

--------------------

OfflineiSmkGrnBud
Psychonaut
 User Gallery

Loc: Your subconscious
    #22331781 - 10/04/15 08:51 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Caelistis said:
Anyway, I popped some holes (not all that pretty) with my Dremel instead. Much easier! You live and learn, I guess.

I have the same dremel. Don't you just love it?

I find using a 1 1/2'' paddle bit with high RPM's works best, just make sure to use as little pressure as possible.

--------------------
:bigweed:  iSmkGrnBud's Teks  :bigweed:
:mushroomgrow: iSmkGrnBud's Wild Mushroom Finds :mushroomgrow:
:amanita2: The Noob Forum's List of Teks :amanita2:

“The probability of success is difficult to estimate; but if we never search the chance of success is zero.” -Giuseppe Cocconi

OfflineNDStepp84
Stellar nuclear waste
Male User Gallery

Re: Are 1 ¼ inch holes too small for monotub? [Re: taGyo]
    #22331796 - 10/04/15 08:54 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Correct, they don't need to be in the dark. Also, since you are putting them outside another option would be after 100% colonization you could remove the sub from the tub, put them in an outdoor bed in the shade and case them. You could grow some monsters, just make sure they don't dry out.
Quote:

cronicr said:
:thumbup: we must remember we use fruiting chambers for our benefit not the mushrooms:)

Looking great BTW!

--------------------

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
-Robert A. Heinlein 

:takingnotes: Links and teks:takingnotes:
ND's grow log and discussion
Plant thread

InvisibleKalistis
 User Gallery

Re: Are 1 ¼ inch holes too small for monotub? [Re: NDStepp84]
    #22332172 - 10/04/15 10:57 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Good Morning!

Quote:

taGyo said:
Looks good, even out that surface, promotes a better pinset.

Should I open the tubs and even things out now that it has been about 8 hours in the tub with the top layer on? I am concerned I will introduce contaminants if I fuck with it too much. I must have been really tired because looking at it now I'm asking myself why I didn't even it out better.  :shrug2:

I think I didn't want to pack it in there too much. Am I right for thinking it isn't wise to pack the spawned substrate too much in the tub?

Quote:

iSmkGrnBud said:

I have the same dremel. Don't you just love it?

I find using a 1 1/2'' paddle bit with high RPM's works best, just make sure to use as little pressure as possible.

Are you kidding me! I love Dremels. I have been using them for as long as a can remember and usually end up falling back on it because my skills with other tools are limited. This Dremel in particular is awesome. It gives me more power than my wireless Dremel that I use to do my dog's nails.

Forgive my ignorance, could you post a picture or link to the bit you prefer?

Quote:

uncle_rico said:
to answer your original question ....  I have used hole sizes ranging from 1" to 2".

my favorites are the 1" and 1 1/4" tubs because I like the way the polyfil 'holds' in the smaller diameter holes.  my friend prefers 2" tubs.  You can adjust and fine-tune FAE with the amount of polyfil used.

we learn by doing.  looks like you are learning a lot.  good luck to you.

Thanks for the advice on the holes. I have 4 more containers in the house to play with. I was considering messing with different combinations of holes and numbers of holes to see how it affected fruiting outside. The next couple months are going to be perfect and I just can't wait. Honestly, I can keep them indoors now that I see how they aren't all that much of an eyesore nor do they smell, but I love the idea of giving the tubs a go outside!

Quote:

NDStepp84 said:
Correct, they don't need to be in the dark. Also, since you are putting them outside another option would be after 100% colonization you could remove the sub from the tub, put them in an outdoor bed in the shade and case them. You could grow some monsters, just make sure they don't dry out.

Looking great BTW!

I have considered an outdoor bed, but I think the tubs will protect the shroomies better. I also worry about my idiot dogs breaking out of their fenced area in backyard while I'm at work, poising themselves. They really aren't smart and if it can happen, it will.

Thanks for all of the advice guys! I'm off to check on my plates!

--------------------

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #22332191 - 10/04/15 11:01 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

You don't want to pack it down just level it out. You spawned it in open air. There are already a ton of contam spores on that thing. Opening it up again won hurt anything. I open my tubs all the time after spawning.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

OfflinetaGyo
Strainiac/AMU
Male User Gallery

Loc: Journal Land Flag
    #22332192 - 10/04/15 11:02 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Don't worry, you won't introduce contams. From a shake even quick myc needs at least 12-24 hours to recover. Even out and pat it down gently, not so hard you push out the air pockets but enough that you have a nice even surface. As Muda said it's crucial you don't PACK it, just give it a gentle PAT.

It'll turn into this:

The height of your sub is perfect, you just don't want it too tight but not too lose either.

Dogs will trip balls and be fine on magic mushrooms. Some actually return to fields where they found them, looking to partake.

The box is fine, just make sure you check it 2-3 times a day depending on how hot it is out there, if the wind is blowing strong, if they've been sitting in the sun for a few hours. All of these can lead to the sub drying out and dry myc will not fruit once it hits a certain point, or it'll push out something as a last ditch effort to extend it's life cycle.

Put it somewhere in the shade, no direct sunlight. Mushrooms like the shade. Keep it misted. Put a casing on it after full colonization.

--------------------
Gyo's Better Grows
TNF Q&A :rockon:
AMU Q&A

Dominus fortunae meae sum

OfflineiSmkGrnBud
Psychonaut
 User Gallery

Loc: Your subconscious
    #22332207 - 10/04/15 11:06 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Caelistis said:

No ignorance here. This is a paddle bit. :cheers:

--------------------
:bigweed:  iSmkGrnBud's Teks  :bigweed:
:mushroomgrow: iSmkGrnBud's Wild Mushroom Finds :mushroomgrow:
:amanita2: The Noob Forum's List of Teks :amanita2:

“The probability of success is difficult to estimate; but if we never search the chance of success is zero.” -Giuseppe Cocconi

InvisibleKalistis
 User Gallery

Re: Are 1 ¼ inch holes too small for monotub? [Re: iSmkGrnBud]
    #22332224 - 10/04/15 11:12 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

iSmkGrnBud said:
Quote:

Caelistis said:

No ignorance here. This is a paddle bit. :cheers:

That looks glorious. I will buy one at Home Depot TODAY! Thank you!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom