Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinePatlal
You ask too many questions
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ottawa Flag
That Common Core education thing....
    #22231073 - 09/13/15 10:58 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Is it good or bad?

To me it sounds like a way to make sure every kid in every state are teached the same, which would make sure everybody has the same basic education.

But some people out there say it's not gonna be good. I fail to see why.

Can one of you explain this?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepaperbackwriter
Edward Lear

Re: That Common Core education thing.... [Re: Patlal]
    #22231104 - 09/13/15 11:04 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

I think the intent is good.

Personally I'd like to see education reform on a much larger level.  Our kids work harder and are dumber than they are in scandinavian countries.  I think we should look at adopting those models.

--------------------
Why should we strive with cynic frown
To knock their fairy castles down?  ~ Eliza Cook

It's rather embarrassing to have given one's entire life to pondering the human predicament and to find that in the end one has little more to say than, 'Try to be a little kinder.' ~Aldous Huxley

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #22231745 - 09/13/15 01:22 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Patlal said:
To me it sounds like a way to make sure every kid in every state are teached taught the same, which would make sure everybody has the same basic education.

Perhaps Canada needs common core.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineAchillita
Back to the basics
Male

Re: That Common Core education thing.... [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #22232036 - 09/13/15 02:23 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

:threadmonitor:

--------------------

OfflineMightyWhite
Male
    #22232074 - 09/13/15 02:37 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Instead of teachers being able to decide what is the best way to teach students, the government does. No, common core is not good.
Here is an article for you http://www.freedomworks.org/content/top-10-reasons-oppose-common-core

OfflinePatlal
Male User Gallery

Re: That Common Core education thing.... [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #22232084 - 09/13/15 02:39 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Quote:

Patlal said:
To me it sounds like a way to make sure every kid in every state are teached taught the same, which would make sure everybody has the same basic education.

Perhaps Canada needs common core.

I knew it sounded were when I wrote it.

--------------------

InvisibleShnezbit
Psycho-naught
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Threshold.
    #22234312 - 09/13/15 09:13 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Common Core is one of those names the rich are using to make it sound to people like their interests are for the good of all...but their interests are in filling their own pockets. Common core and Obamas race to the top are tools corporate america is using to destroy public education and replace it with private education. Charter schools are privately and publicly funded but are not accountable for how and where they spend their money. they don't have unions and can fire teachers at a whim, save on pensions...ultimately cut costs and increase profits. Politicians have been brought by the corporate hedge funders to rape state constitutional rights to decide on how to educate their children. cultures and communities are diverse and a one size fits all fast food approach to education is really just a scam to dupe the masses into thinking they are coming up with a solution to improve education, but really they are taking the money as fast as they can, and when the public realizes this has happened in about 10-15 years their pockets will be full and we'll all be stuck scratching our heads on how to improve education.

if you'd like a good perspective on all this read this article here:

http://chronicle.com/blogs/letters/common-core-standards-are-the-tip-of-a-corporate-iceberg/

InvisiblePenelope_Tree
Shamanic Panic
 User Gallery

Loc: magic sugarcastle
Re: That Common Core education thing.... [Re: MightyWhite]
    #22305485 - 09/28/15 09:55 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

At least one part of common core is the addition of teaching math using a visual system. I don't see how it could possibly be a bad thing that children are being taught multiple ways to solve a problem. Wouldnt you rather have a doctor that knows 100 ways to treat your illness vs 1 way?

--------------------
full blown human

Offlinestarfire_xes
I Am 'They'
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dallas with all the assho...
Re: That Common Core education thing.... [Re: Penelope_Tree]
    #22306251 - 09/29/15 01:32 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Not a good idea.  there are 3 things fundamentally wrong:

1 It is run by the government.  How's that dept. of education worked out in the last 40 years?  It has added ZERO value to education.
          subpart b) One has to believe it will be guided towards pushing bullshit agendas

2) If you looked at anything from CC, you will notice it has the appearance of being complicated and difficult. 3 Go look at some of the online problems from CC.  Its BS.  they cant teach kids basic reading and writing and they are going to complicate it?

3) JeB! Bush supports it.  Any questions? :smirk:

--------------------

InvisiblePenelope_Tree
Shamanic Panic
 User Gallery

Loc: magic sugarcastle
Re: That Common Core education thing.... [Re: starfire_xes]
    #22313573 - 09/30/15 11:39 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

#2- just because it looks complicated (to you) doesn't mean it is. Try to understand it and don't go off appearances.

--------------------
full blown human

Offlinestarfire_xes
I Am 'They'
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dallas with all the assho...
Re: That Common Core education thing.... [Re: Penelope_Tree]
    #22317003 - 10/01/15 12:22 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Penelope_Tree said:
#2- just because it looks complicated (to you) doesn't mean it is. Try to understand it and don't go off appearances.

Don't try and lecture me about math, I have a BSEE and enough credits for 2 masters--one in engineering physics and one in EE. 

The problems are ridiculous.  There are two things that need to be taught in math at a young age 1) operations and their laws and 2) very simple illustrations of the foundations of mathematical theory.  everything else is bullshit, and so is the common core math.

--------------------

InvisibleAstral Pain
Strange

Loc: Chicago
Re: That Common Core education thing.... [Re: starfire_xes]
    #22317362 - 10/01/15 03:30 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

I've heard plenty of negative responses from parents, but haven't looked into there method until now. I think they're putting the cart before the horse by teaching a concepts most learn on their own over time when doing math in your head. I don't remember ever being taught how to break numbers up in my head but developed that on my own, and I would think everyone may develop their own personal style of this. It's hard for someone who has learned the non-CC way to see the potential difficulty a clean slate mind would have with this method, but I still think the KISS method here is the best way in assuring an early grip on mathematics.

Maybe Bill Gates is looking to pick out some future programmers from the groups of kids who excel in this method while stamping the rest as invalid. Now that I think about it I've heard reports that Common core supplies bar coded scratch paper along with their tests, so tracking down the work involved with exceptionally good test scores would be easy. I suppose it could be explained away as them researching the progress for potential developmental changes to the curriculum, but I think the ones who promote this are looking out for their best interest in the long run. Feels more like an indoctrination as is most of the schooling system, and especially with an organization called "From Cradle to Career" ran by the government.

This is a total promotional video but the first and only one I've seen involving their math style.

--------------------
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out"               
                -Bill Hicks-

__

Offlinepretzelking
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: That Common Core education thing.... [Re: Astral Pain]
    #22324563 - 10/02/15 04:34 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

At first I didn't like the whole common core thing. However I know a few people that are teachers and actually experience common core and its effects first hand. The English teachers I know are saying that kids are showing much better reading comprehension than before, and better at critical analysis of the text they are reading, instead of just be able to read the words they are looking at. Math teachers I know have also said that kids are able to do more complicated math problems mentally instead of relying on stuff like long division. Basically common core math teaches you how to break large problems into parts that are easy to figure mentally. It is different and will take some time to get used to.

OfflinePatlal
Male User Gallery

Re: That Common Core education thing.... [Re: pretzelking]
    #22324743 - 10/02/15 05:16 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

There are two things about Common Core (based on what I understand from it)

A) It makes sure that all 50 states teach the same things.

Then again

B) Education is not a federal mandate.

So if the federal gets in there, not only do all 50 states spend their money on education departments, but the federal will also spend money on an education department which is a spending double dip.

If common core truly wants to pass, something will have to be ratified saying that education is now federal, therefore every state education departments need to be completely shut down. Its the only way this could be cost effective.

I know first hand what's it's like to have double spendings. Quebec is hellbent on control its own destiny and has created their provincial equivalent to pre much every federal departments. EX: We have CRA (equivalent to IRS). Then the porvince have their own tax system. Quebec Has their own tax system, plus a department similar to the federal CRA that is pretty much in charge of collecting federal taxes within quebec and then sending it to the CRA... An absolutely useless intermediary, but they feel as if they "control" their destiny better that way.... Same for immigration. Needless to say. The province is broke because it spends billions on ministries that are already covered by the Feds.... Its stupid

--------------------

Offlinehostileuniverse
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: 'Merica Flag
    #22329275 - 10/03/15 04:37 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
http://www.countdowntotrump.com

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom