Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
sterilizing straw?
    #2213382 - 01/01/04 03:05 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

what would be the problem with sterilizing straw in the microwave?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
Re: sterilizing straw? [Re: Tomandjerry58]
    #2213524 - 01/01/04 04:15 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

either too little finished product or burning down the house!

straw can be pc'd if you keep it off the bottom of the pc, but... usually people just pasturize straw. it is actually rather difficult to sterilize, hence the problem with burning.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #2214202 - 01/02/04 12:05 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

If you sterilize straw, it will likely contaminate before you can get it colonized. Only pasteurize straw for best results.

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
Re: sterilizing straw? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #2220692 - 01/05/04 01:53 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

makes me feel good to have the great rabbit answer my question.thanks. ive only gotton the straw to work for me twice out of four times.with pasturization. i was thinking that it might be possible to inccorporate a little straw with some verm. to up the potency of my buddies. im giving it a try 2 quarts colonized birdseed 1 hand full of straw and 1 quart of verm . will see how it goes.thanks for the reply

InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Loc: US, Chicago
    #2220703 - 01/05/04 01:59 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

You could up the volume of your substrate, but not the potency of the finished fruits. Vermiculite has no nutritional value so adding it to straw wouldn't supply it with more nutrients. It would hold more water however which is a good thing.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->The above statements may or not be true.
->Quote of the Moment :
"Yea. All bitches are whores who love sex." -Cubie
----> PMs checked daily.

OfflineAyahuashka
Stranger
my method for micro [Re: Tomandjerry58]
    #24467459 - 07/08/17 10:52 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Hey!

I just joined here serching info and found your post.

I can talk about my experience with the microwave sterilization, cause I'm testing things with it right now.

For the sterilization of little amounts of substrate, for me, worked better than using a pressure cooker. Microowave wastes lot of electricity so, for a big amounts (and thinking that the capacity of a micro is about 25-30 l), its better to use an autoclave, big pressure cooker or else.

I using the micro to make easy the process with grain jars or little bags of spawn. I ever cook the grain/straw/hardwood chips first before sterilizate, so thats the first chance to eliminate the contaminants.

With grain is better to put them on water before do anything, for like 12h to let spores of contaminants activate and become suceptible to the heating.

Next ill try to give a recipe of how I make this:

- Soak grain 12h
- Cook grain about 20-40 min (when a bit of foam forms on the surface and water start to be brown)
- Let the grain dry on a clean wringer posted on a clean cooking pot and covered with a kitchen paper for about 2-4h (when u see grain surface not excessively wet) on a clean place (hot dry).
- Pre-sterilize the surface of your clean and asceptic containers or bags (with a bit of 96º alchool) before adding the grain.
- Add the grain having in mind that your hands or the tool that is going to touch the substrate to fill the pots, must be clean and sterile, so u will need to use 96º alchool several times during the proces.
* When u fill the containers, have in mind too that u only have to open them the minimal time for introducing the substrate, so dont expose the inside to posible contaminants.
- If u work with bags, let a bit open the zip, cause they will inflate inside the micro, and dont close at all the pots or jars, to let pressure escape. When u have the pots/bags filled, u need to use a 2nd bag or container to allocate them inside, and then the 2nd container inside the micro. That 2nd container (that can be another plastic bag, like a microowave or frozen bags or "potato microwave cooking bags", like the one I use, bought at china bazar xD).
- Put a bit of destilated water inside this bag, -having cure that the pots or spawn bags inside dont get wet- to generete steam during the cooking. Also dont close at all the 2nd container.
- Now its all prepared to run the microowave at minium 800 W or medium-high power. I recommend to dont run the micro at full pow.
*If the micro have a rotating plate, have in mind that if the objects inside block the rotation, u can burn the enginee that rotates the plate. Anyway, me really dont care too much for that when I do this process, but i have to mention it :wink:

Generally I put a 15 min cicle to complete the sterilization, but with 10 minutes probablly its enought.

The rest of the process is the same that u sterlize with any other methods, u will have to inoculate on a clean enviroment with asceptic conditions, etc.

I maked this process many times and works fine for me. I used the same process with little bags of supermarchet filled with straw and 0 contaminantions :P Micellium grow fine on it (Pleurotus).

Edited by Ayahuashka (07/08/17 10:54 AM)

Offlinevikingleif
Lazy Stoner
Male

Re: my method for micro [Re: Ayahuashka]
    #24467461 - 07/08/17 10:53 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

then if you just started searching then plz learn how to use the function to not ressurect posts from over 10 years ago :O

--------------------

InvisiblePipefitter537
You're Not Yelping
 User Gallery

Loc: SodoSopa
Re: my method for micro [Re: Ayahuashka]
    #24467464 - 07/08/17 10:53 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

:oldman:

--------------------
"You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity"-Bullet Tooth Tony

OfflineAyahuashka
Stranger
¿? [Re: vikingleif]
    #24467474 - 07/08/17 11:00 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I dont undrstand the point of what u say. ¿Whats wrong with following this post?

Offlinevikingleif
Lazy Stoner
Male

Re: ¿? [Re: Ayahuashka]
    #24467508 - 07/08/17 11:17 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

there is a search function on this forum by clicking "search our forum" then you can specify your search so that you dont get older posts than last 3-4 years instead going full time machine and getting really old awnsers.

--------------------

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
    #24467518 - 07/08/17 11:17 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
13 year old thread

Use the search engine effectively
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24270830#24270830

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract