Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
anyone cloned a bannana plant before?
    #22089750 - 08/14/15 12:53 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

i had a sucker grow off my plant, and i tried to dig deep down into my planter, but then the roots got real tough and i couldn't go down any further.  long story short i broke the sucker off and none of the corm is on it.

so question is, is their a way to keep this sucker alive?  would some rooting hormone work?  could i just put it in some water and roots will grow?  or just put it in some dirt and keep it moist?  whats my options here?

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblekoraks
Re: anyone cloned a bannana plant before? [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #22089982 - 08/14/15 04:14 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

I've cloned them many times, but always with at least some roots attached to the sucker. With none, I think your chances are slim but you could give it a go I supposed. Apply some rooting hormone and put in a glass of water, refresh the water every few days. That's what I'd do.

Btw, banana plants do reasonably well in hydroculture; I have a few in buckets with clay pellets. They don't seem to get as big as the ones in potting soil but they hold pretty well. I've had two buckets for a year now and they keep pushing out new leaves.

Offlinerickpsfuckyou
listening to Mozzy
Male

Re: anyone cloned a bannana plant before? [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #22361421 - 10/11/15 12:21 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

i live in a place where banana trees grow everywhere and so do plantains. the sucker becomes a new plant/ tree after the original one fruits and dies it's how they reproduce

--------------------

OfflinePOWAtrippinDiscord
Decidedly Undecided.
Male User Gallery

Loc: zone 9b
Re: anyone cloned a bannana plant before? [Re: rickpsfuckyou]
    #22370363 - 10/12/15 08:14 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

I have rooted out a banana from a piece with no root, it didn't seem to mind too much.  It really just is probably going to depend on the humidity.

--------------------
Don't believe everything you think.  TRADE LIST

‹Sell Your Soul› You know this place is owned and operated by the Illuminati, right?
‹lsdwithme› i possibly just smoked a rat turd :facepalm:

Offlineinvitro

Re: anyone cloned a bannana plant before? [Re: POWAtrippin]
    #23316133 - 06/06/16 10:07 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

I've done probably about 100 banana plants this way.  The best way is to let the corm grow as tall as possible before you cut it(5 or 7 feet is probably as big as you would want to go).  I tried with small ones (size of baseball, no roots) and they all failed(a few dozen total).  For larger ones, 1-2 feet, atleast 1 little root is always super helpful but no roots can still work.  There is a center piece to the corm... like the center of an onion(in the base of the corm), if you cut that off your chances are nil, sometimes when you cut you think you got most of the corm but could have/should have gone deeper, to get the corm's 'heart'.  No hormones are needed just plant them in moist/wet soil, not in direct sunlight at first so it can heal and make roots.  The plant can 'hang on' for about a month even without the heart but dies eventually.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies