Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ★
Trusted Cultivator
A Coir Tek Among a Sea of Endless Coir Teks * 7
    #22072628 - 08/10/15 05:08 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

"Wait,"

"A coir tek, but why?", you might find yourself asking. "Don't we all already know how to do coir?", you continue to ponder aloud, with each question only giving rise to a myriad of others in a harmonized union of confusion and intrigue that leaves your heart racing.  Luckily your suspense is not without reprieve!

Why yes, my fine friends, acquaintances, eager learners, and awkward relatives, we are most assuredly experiencing an abundance of similar information, and therein lies the problem.

If you started growing by learning coir then you probably learned the bucket tek.  It's a good tek.  It gets the job done and it's straightforward.  But what the bucket tek isn't, is neither proper pasteurization nor proper sterilization.  You probably think I'm going to start talking about how this tek is at least one of those.  Well, what I'm actually going to do is ask, if many are willing to say fuck it and do the bucket, why stop the fuck it there?

This tek isn't unique.  It's probably not proper anything.  I'm posting it because it works with coir and because the monogamous relationship people have with their tried and true methods is about to get freaky deaky.

If you're adamant about being technical, this is closer to sterilization than pasteurization.

:nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan:

You'll need:

-650g brick of coir (or 650 grams of dry coir in any shape you can imagine, be creative)
-Oven bags (mine appear to be for baking turkeys)
-Vermiculite (~2 quarts)
-Gypsum (optional)
-You know, normal stuff?  A stove and oven, pot to boil water?  Maybe some towels or rags.
-Fuck the list format, let's get to the point, clock's a tickin.

Do the thing:

Here's some options for you, do it however you want:

0.(optional) If you have a flathead screwdriver you can use it to wedge the brick into a few pieces which will help it hydrate more easily and evenly.  Just less work later on.

1.a If you have a 5gal bucket, put your oven bag in there like it's a trash liner, then drop your brick inside

1.b If you don't have a bucket, and you do have a big metal sink, you can put the brick in the oven bag and put that in the empty sink.
1.c Don't have a sink?  What is wrong with you?  Put the bag with the brick in it in the bathtub.  You have one of those right?

2. Dump in 2.5 quarts of verm, or however much you want, just try to stay between 1 and 4.  I always eyeball it.  You can always add more later, right out of the bag, if it seems too wet.

3.  Boil 4.5 quarts of water, add 1/4 cup of gypsum(either pellets or powder) to the water while it's boiling, give it a quick stir so there's nothing stuck to the bottom, and pour it all directly into the bag, onto the coir/verm preferably.  The bucket method has this the easiest, while the bathtub is probably the hardest(don't burn yourself).  The oven bags come with ties, you want to get most of the hot air out, twist it up, and tie up the bag while it's still hot.

4. Now that you have a tied up bag full of hot ass water and substrate, take some hand towels or gloves and try to mix the bag up a little bit.  The goal is just to eliminate those dry clumps of coir and get everything broken up and hydrated.  This isn't really necessary but I feel like it helps everything work a bit better if you do.  Release all the hot air and re-tie the bag before continuing.

5. Take a rack out of your oven if necessary, and lay the oven bag in there so that it's not touching any of the sides, just sitting on the rack in the middle.

6. Dial the oven to 200 and leave it for about 80 minutes.  Turn the oven off and let it do a bit of its cooling in there, (another hour is good) then take it out and let it cool out on the counter or floor or wherever until you can handle it comfortably.

7. Dispense it out of the bag as needed, if you have leftovers, just close up the bag and use them when needed, since coir stores so well you can keep it that way for at least a week or two without there being a need to re-treat the coir.  I generally put about 6 quarts of grain to each brick of coir.  You know how it goes, mix it up evenly, get it nice and flat.  This is enough for one 66qt mono, or several smaller projects.

Now you's dids it!

The bags can usually be reused at least 3-4 times before they start to feel a little stiff/weak.  The logic is that the coir is already hot from the boiling water, so the problem of the core temperature taking too long to reach in the oven becomes a non-issue when the substrate is already in range of the target temperature prior to treatment, and with it having been placed in an environment hotter than the target temperature, the possibility of insufficient heat treatment is not a concern.  If anything other than CVG(Coir, Verm, Gypsum) is used for this it'll fail, but I find that it suits my needs perfectly and leaves no room for error.

:oldman::oldman: :oldman::oldman: :oldman::oldman: :oldman::oldman: :oldman::oldman: :oldman::oldman:

Now, as you can see based on the reception here on the first page the fact that I had to recreate this thread, it may be necessary to include some disclaimers so as to prevent further... outbursts.  I've already told you not to use this tek for anything but CVG, less than 3 sentences ago in fact, but I want to be real specific.  If you use this with manure, straw, coffee, or pretty much anything else, it's going to trich the fuck out.  Coir doesn't give a shit what you do to it, which is why I'm breaking conventions by using the oven in the first place.  It likes being cooked.  So I just cook it.  Like it's food.  Zing.

Have a nice day everybody.  Be friends!  If you want to blast each other about stuff save it til at least page 3, then you have my go-ahead to cut loose.  Let's at least fill the first page with questions and suggestions that might help people make educated decisions about how to prepare their substrates.

Edited by Inocuole (02/13/16 06:08 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePastywhyteMDiscord
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A Coir Tek Among a Sea of Endless Coir Teks [Re: Inocuole]
    #22072672 - 08/10/15 05:18 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Good stuff inoc :rockon:

Invisibleeatyualive
Eat's You Alive :)
 User Gallery

Loc: In Your Head
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: A Coir Tek Among a Sea of Endless Coir Teks [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #22072704 - 08/10/15 05:25 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Nice write up!:thumbup:

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

:flame::chief:JOIN THE POW WOW:chief::flame:

OfflineJohnnyR1ngo
The Great One
Male

#22072717 - 08/10/15 05:27 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Yes, I can see it... I'm imagining real hard.. But, wait...I have a question ... Now that I read the post with the eagerness of a sophisticated scholar... Want I ask I the rack won't melt my bag? And I appreciate you taking the time and really helping a shroomaritian out... Good day and... Be well Inoc...

--------------------
Post are for fictional purposes... Never have I had experience in anything mentioned in this forum.. Or will I ever, I just like to write a bunch of fiction for entertainment purposes.. Don't believe a single thing... All pictures and videos were used with respective owners permission.. And found elsewhere on the net... Not all views and opinions are necessary affiliated with JohnnyR1ngo or his affliates... Be Well....

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A Coir Tek Among a Sea of Endless Coir Teks [Re: JohnnyR1ngo]
    #22072724 - 08/10/15 05:29 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

It's an oven bag.  They're made for baking turkeys inside of, so they should withstand up to like 350 without any issue.  Once you feel one you can tell the plastic is quality.  I think right on the rack is how you're supposed to do it.  I've put it on a baking sheet other times but it didn't make a difference being on the rack so I just do that now.

--------------------
                            :rainbowdrink: Tea doesn't work?                            AMU  (Q & A)                  Grain prep for Intergalactic Space Oats :pes:     

Coir-ca-cola
Jokes are funny until they're about you

OfflineJohnnyR1ngo
The Great One
Male

#22072763 - 08/10/15 05:40 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

When you store it for the week or so... How would one store it properly... In a bucket, or freezer...? Room temp?

--------------------
Post are for fictional purposes... Never have I had experience in anything mentioned in this forum.. Or will I ever, I just like to write a bunch of fiction for entertainment purposes.. Don't believe a single thing... All pictures and videos were used with respective owners permission.. And found elsewhere on the net... Not all views and opinions are necessary affiliated with JohnnyR1ngo or his affliates... Be Well....

Invisiblepaperbackwriter
Edward Lear

#22072764 - 08/10/15 05:40 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

:nothingtoadd:

--------------------
Why should we strive with cynic frown
To knock their fairy castles down?  ~ Eliza Cook

It's rather embarrassing to have given one's entire life to pondering the human predicament and to find that in the end one has little more to say than, 'Try to be a little kinder.' ~Aldous Huxley

Offlinenewera
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: A Coir Tek Among a Sea of Endless Coir Teks [Re: paperbackwriter]
    #22072768 - 08/10/15 05:40 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

:tipofthecap:

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #22072775 - 08/10/15 05:42 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

If you're following my tek, I keep it stored in the oven bag I prepared it in, since it comes with its own twist-tie.  I imagine this will all become much more clear when I do my batch of coir and take pictures the whole way through the process.  A bucket is fine too.  Anything that will seal it and keep stuff from getting in, and moisture from getting out.  I see no better option than the container it was cooked in.

Room temp is fine.

--------------------
                            :rainbowdrink: Tea doesn't work?                            AMU  (Q & A)                  Grain prep for Intergalactic Space Oats :pes:     

Coir-ca-cola

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Loc: sub-surface unseen
Trusted Cultivator
    #22072793 - 08/10/15 05:46 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

wheres the part about plastic tubs?

:rofl:
sweet prep bro

--------------------
A few thoughts on cultivation
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts

OfflineJohnnyR1ngo
The Great One
Male

#22072798 - 08/10/15 05:47 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

And following this tek, if one had the correct ratio of clean spawn... You would have enough substrate for a 66qt.. Mono... Or project of similar size I not using montub..?

--------------------

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #22072808 - 08/10/15 05:49 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

blindingleaf said:
wheres the part about plastic tubs?

:rofl:
sweet prep bro

I haven't done a monotub, SGFC, SAB, dub, TiT, or printing tek yet.  Those will all strongly encourage the use of a plastic tub, if I were to ever write such a thing.  Good enough writeups out for those though.

Quote:

JohnnyR1ngo said:
And following this tek, if one had the correct ratio of clean spawn... You would have enough substrate for a 66qt.. Mono... Or project of similar size I not using montub..?

Yes, 1 650g brick of coir and 2 quarts of verm is perfect for 5-6 quarts of grain spawn in a 66 qt mono.  I edited that into the last step.

--------------------

Coir-ca-cola

OfflineJohnnyR1ngo
The Great One
Male

#22072825 - 08/10/15 05:53 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

All I can say about this post is Hell yea...!! Success through innovation.. Congrats... Great write up and very helpful in answering questions... Be Well... Inoc....

--------------------

Invisiblenobody83
stranger danger
Female

Loc: around town Flag
    #22072865 - 08/10/15 06:03 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineAjahn Don
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: The buckle of the Bible belt
Re: A Coir Tek Among a Sea of Endless Coir Teks [Re: nobody83]
    #22072919 - 08/10/15 06:13 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

I'll be good. Just keeping up. Know nothing worth adding. Can't wait to see the rest of your teks, I.

--------------------
"He's not altogether dense, but he's not altogether there."

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A Coir Tek Among a Sea of Endless Coir Teks [Re: Ajahn Don]
    #22114708 - 08/19/15 11:16 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

See guys now this thread can't even make it PAST page 1.  You can't have your cake and eat it too, I see.

--------------------

Coir-ca-cola

OfflinetaGyo
Strainiac/AMU
Male User Gallery

Loc: Journal Land Flag
    #22114712 - 08/19/15 11:16 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

I'll message Bod, Space and Eatyu and bring another shit storm if it'll make you happy?

--------------------
Gyo's Better Grows
TNF Q&A :rockon:
AMU Q&A

Dominus fortunae meae sum

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A Coir Tek Among a Sea of Endless Coir Teks [Re: taGyo]
    #22114722 - 08/19/15 11:19 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

I'm pretty sure your willingness to do that has nothing to do with whether or not it makes me happy.  You just wanna watch the world burn don't you? :lol:

--------------------

Coir-ca-cola

InvisibleBuck513
    #22114739 - 08/19/15 11:24 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

:onfire:

--------------------
Fail to plan and you plan to fail.

Enter the Ban Lottery

OfflinetaGyo
Strainiac/AMU
Male User Gallery

Loc: Journal Land Flag
    #22114740 - 08/19/15 11:24 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Busted.

:hehehe:

--------------------
Gyo's Better Grows
TNF Q&A :rockon:
AMU Q&A

Dominus fortunae meae sum

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale