Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | Next > | Last >
OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Re: Stock Update for July 16, 2015 [Re: Bambi]
    #22008320 - 07/28/15 07:55 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

I cut my position in GILD by half when it broke its 50 day, will hold the remainder through earnings. I can say that the market is still very range-bound and a breakout to new highs does not appear imminent.  Whil I believe we will probably see a little bounce this week (which is why I am long Aug calls on the SPY for a trade), I am more inclined to believe that we see further downside at this point, although it is always difficult to tell and these things are never known. 

For what it's worth, I have pulled out of several longer term positions and am not a big buyer right now, even though I will trade opportunistically when presented with the opportunity. The later summer months tend to be slow, at times more volatile (because there are fewer participants and thus less liquidity), and with China's market problems and the feeling that the Federal Reserve will be raising rates sometime between now and the first half of 2016, there just aren't a lot of compelling reasons to buy, in a general sense.  Further, there is not a lot of leadership or "breadth" in the market. Over the past months, fewer and fewer stocks are working, and although this narrow leadership has kept the market in its high base for the better part of the year, ultimately we need to see more stocks participating in the upside to see a sustainable move higher.  My view right here is simply that there are no signs that warrant aggressive investing, and many signs that warrant a conservative approach.  Take that for what it is worth, and good luck!

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAhab McBathsalts
OTD Windmill Administrator
Other User Gallery Ultimate Champion: Blackjack

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Wind Turbine, AB Flag
Re: Stock Update for July 16, 2015 [Re: geokills]
    #22009163 - 07/28/15 11:55 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Intelligent investor by Benjamin graham is an excellent book about long term value investing. It seeks to avoid trading and speculation by buying stocks at low p/e multiples and holding on for long term to take advantage of multiple expansion over many economic cycles.

--------------------
"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's going to die."

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Re: Stock Update for July 16, 2015 [Re: Ahab McBathsalts]
    #22010097 - 07/28/15 02:47 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

I have heard of it, and should take the time to read it!  But I must admit, I enjoy the rush of trading, and while I do maintain some longer term exposure based on fundamental analysis in conjunction with where we are in the economic cycle, I lean towards momentum and fast money, largely because I have a lot of free time to watch my portfolio... If life gets busy in a different way, I might find myself more compelled to adjust my approach to favor longer term value oriented positions. For now, what I'm doing is working, but I'll always be a student of the market.

GILD beat estimates after the close, stock bumped up a few bucks but is right in the middle of congestion. I don't expect that this report will be able to propel it above its recent high, but it could be a good short term trade tomorrow. If it shows upside strength/follow through, I may add to my position with the expectation to sell most of it on a retest of the highs.

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflineTravelerOfSorts
sober pro
 User Gallery

Re: Stock Update for July 16, 2015 [Re: geokills]
    #22023423 - 07/31/15 08:27 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

JTR GREENSPACE BRANDS INC COM Buy  Sell
?600Intraday change 1.19 714.00 N/A N/A N/A
NWX NEWPORT EXPL LTD Buy  Sell
?1,000Intraday change 0.255 255.00 N/A N/A N/A
LRE LONG RUN EXPLORATION LTD COM Buy  Sell
1,465 0.56 820.40 1,163.30 -342.90 -29.48
Sub-Total : Sub-Total :1,789.40CAD Sub-Total :1,163.30CAD Sub-Total :-342.90CAD CAD

Level 2s?

So itry thikiing in yodish there is no try, Cause looking around to see how bears can make money?? bear?portfolio on the downward assault, salmon it must catch.

I want to have a swing at how bear profits, hear me out? 1)buys ontop of arch down? 2)aquires bulk stock from sellers 3) accummulated stockpile resurfaces around news of increase in market? 4)sell to the bull
essentially LRE is poised to either bust<bank debt> but could soar <rich claims>
I was pilled in there and may continue to do so because I like the idea of better CAD$ and canada has its quest to better energy, I'm confident in the stock holding onto the tow rope and returning over the dollar possible things that would make this happen is CAD increase and oil too.
my plan is to contact JTR and ask why I am unnable to buy any of their products locally, then to maybe communicate their brands to big names via social mediA!

--------------------
a soul of solitude
but a master of ecstacy
in waiting for my rebirth cycle i have hopes that when mushrooms find me it will occur then and i can go about the world as a medicine man
walking staff in one hand spaceship in the other
a journeyman of nature soon to be stepping up to novice hopefully i will have time to become an expert, and i believe only in death will i become a master

Edited by TravelerOfSorts (08/01/15 10:42 PM)

OfflineTravelerOfSorts
sober pro
 User Gallery

Re: Stock Update for July 16, 2015 [Re: TravelerOfSorts]
    #22034828 - 08/02/15 06:48 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Hi guys I really want to get into bonds?

reading the book called the excellent investment adviser. I was happy to see a Yoda quote in the front of this book lol. if you see my earlier post on ATVi in here you'll notice yodish philosophy has its grips on me like tobacco adverts
this website Canadian securities institute has real certifications and I wonder what ones are pertinent there is many different courses on this website, hard to say because same old thing never know where to point myself, do I do trading course or do wealth management or portfolio management? futures licencing?

--------------------
a soul of solitude
but a master of ecstacy
in waiting for my rebirth cycle i have hopes that when mushrooms find me it will occur then and i can go about the world as a medicine man
a journeyman of nature soon to be stepping up to novice hopefully i will have time to become an expert, and i believe only in death will i become a master

Edited by TravelerOfSorts (08/02/15 07:05 PM)

InvisibleAhab McBathsalts
OTD Windmill Administrator
Other User Gallery Ultimate Champion: Blackjack

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Wind Turbine, AB Flag
Re: Stock Update for July 16, 2015 [Re: TravelerOfSorts]
    #22036696 - 08/03/15 08:55 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Bonds are at a multi-year peak and will head for a decades long bear market.

Securities and stock trading is on the way out as people opt for index funds and shun actively managed investments. Most of financial planning is hawking mutual funds to people and selling insurance with high fees.

Robots and computers continue to take jobs. Only take security courses if you feel that you would enjoy it and can profit from it with your own portfolio. If you can't string together a cogent paragraph, I doubt anyone would give you money to invest on their behalf.

--------------------
"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's going to die."

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Stock Update for August 3, 2015 [Re: geokills]
    #22037309 - 08/03/15 11:51 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Another day and seemingly another choppy to lower session, with the S&P still smack firmly in the middle of its agonizingly long trading range.  Of interest, AAPL is now decisively below its 200 day moving average, for the first time since 2013.  After a nice trade on the earnings morning bounce a couple weeks ago, I tried to take another stab at it recently when it retraced to its 200 day, but today's action is not encouraging and I now no longer hold any AAPL in my portfolio.  If anything, I will be watching for a quick short entry if the stocks bounces back up to $122-$124 and falters.  I also closed out positions in NFLX and ULTA this morning, the former for a small gain, the later for a small loss.  I was able to recoup the loss on ULTA by going short for a brief moment on the break of its 20 day moving average, right as my long calls were stopped out.

I did pick up a little SUNE again today.  The stock is just plain fugly, and although I like the company (and its stock has rewarded me in the past), that was then, and right now the price action is just incredibly bearish.  Nevertheless, the thing is down over 35% top to bottom in the last 2 weeks, and I am expecting some measure of a relief rally.  I may even hold half of this position over earnings, which are due Thursday morning.  However there would seem to be a lot of resistance created by the intense rapid fall, so I will be expecting a move back up to $26-$27 and will be sure not to overstay my welcome if the stock gets there!

Because we are just mired in choppiness, my most confident trade at the moment (i.e. my largest trade), is an iron condor on AMZN.  This consists of a August 21st $565/$575 bear call spread on the top (for which I took in a credit of $135 per contract), paired with a August 21st $500/$475 bull put spread on the bottom (for which I took in a credit of $140 per contract).  So long as AMZN is somewhere between $500 - $565 in 18 days, the spreads will expire worthless and I will get to keep the credit.  Here's a visual representation:

Trade safely, and remember... sometimes the best trade is not to trade at all!

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflineTravelerOfSorts
sober pro
 User Gallery

Re: Stock Update for August 3, 2015 [Re: geokills]
    #22039794 - 08/03/15 08:51 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

I wondered about bears making money and I could t figure it but I've got to the point where I assume they are doing short sale and banking on the margin.

Edited by TravelerOfSorts (08/04/15 10:08 AM)

OfflineGorlax
Male

Re: Stock Update for August 3, 2015 [Re: TravelerOfSorts]
    #22040083 - 08/03/15 10:31 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Need advice on CPRX

I'm in at 2.46... It just hit a 52 week high around 5.80 and has stooped down to 4.90. I just don't want to see these crash back down. I'm hoping the stoops are just sell offs because these are pretty drastic spikes.

same with ZGNX ... In at 9.52 and the price is now 19.60.. analyst still project 40% increase and they still have Q3 results on pipeline drugs to release. Hoping it goes higher but once again. Hope I'm not just biting the bullet to lose these double gains.

My biggest concern with CPRX is they haven't gotten anything out yet. They are in a partnership with the chemist who invented lyrica and he's working on newer GABA drugs. That to me was promising enough to invest in this company. Knowing he was the key behind a blockbuster drug.

Zogenix is of lesser concern because they have run efficiently. Sold a few technologies, sold zohydro with milestone payments. I think they are a great company and really see them being purchased out.

My go to phrase is "my favorite holding period is forever".. so far it has paid off but that's because I've done my research.

Investing in biotech stocks for cancer is a pretty daunting task. One of mine is CYTR and there's always dips, ups, but never a solid run.

OfflineBambi
Friendly Forrest Animal
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Stock Update for August 3, 2015 [Re: Gorlax]
    #22040244 - 08/03/15 11:35 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

my advice would be to be a little more patient with CPRX since it could possible be finding support, but sell if it drops too much. And then if it gets back to ~3.50ish maybe buy it again if you still like it.

I would sell ZGNX if it goes below its recent low. I could see that stock falling down a bit before it goes on another run. As some say; sell the news (or something like that) and it sounds like this stock has had some recent news with the selling of a product.. or you could wait until earnings to see whats up.

Hell I dunno. I do a shit job of knowing when to sell

--------------------

"I want to read, talk with my friends via the computer, and enjoy my life now that people know I'm not dead. " -Rom Houben

OfflineTravelerOfSorts
sober pro
 User Gallery

Re: Stock Update for August 3, 2015 [Re: Bambi]
    #22040873 - 08/04/15 06:24 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

I picked up an ethical grass fed/organic food packaging company its 1.20 which might be too much, JTR got 600 worth and thats because no one had interest and it showed no movement after 185% increase in profits so I hope it will bring some value, Ended up near 2000 shares in LRE slump and I accuratly predicted the debt issue being resolved soI almost dont expect my market price bids to go through today as the reason LRE has dropped recently was impending debt deadline.

--------------------
a soul of solitude
but a master of ecstacy

OfflineGorlax
Male

Re: Stock Update for August 3, 2015 [Re: TravelerOfSorts]
    #22041625 - 08/04/15 11:07 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

I can't find much on that JTR stock besides one chart and their website. I saw the article about the profit and that's pretty intense and no movement. I think that's odd. It is an otc stock though so those are always beyond volatile. I would look into reviews of their products and see how good they are. That will tell you a lot about the company.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Re: Stock Update for August 3, 2015 [Re: geokills]
    #22041908 - 08/04/15 12:14 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

geokills said:
I also closed out positions in NFLX...  I did pick up a little SUNE again today...

Ugh, that was unfortunate.  NFLX pops to an all time high today, and I wasn't at my desk this morning to catch the move after having sold out of my position yesterday.  SUNE on the other hand is languishing around its lows, I'm taking it off the table.  Market is melting a little bit here, starting to wade into some UVXY in anticipation of heightened volatility as we move towards Friday's jobs report.  I've been saying it for a while, but I obviously need to keep saying it to remind myself, so that I don't try to pick bottoms a la SUNE, this is not a user friendly market, friends.  In this environment, the best trade may very well be no trade at all.  All the best.

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflineTravelerOfSorts
sober pro
 User Gallery

#22042012 - 08/04/15 12:36 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

okay, thank you. I have more topics of discussion you might enjoy, I assume you are american.
I wondered about the press coverage on dollar value, The american has I think 24cents over canadian the canadian press 'globe and mail' offers online articles reguarding the CAD and its evident the weak signals for canadian dollar. The 25c stagnant difference means americans got a good deal on canadian stocks. This time I wish the CAD has strength on foriegn currencies.
Couple of things:  Does the canadian have a place to go to guard their dollar value investing (gold/silver physically) inside of the stock market.
It would be impressive to pull ahead of lossing dollar using a foriegn market as a vehicle for that.  thats sort of like bonds or something maybe a japanese / euro manufacturer of sorts those types would be ideal for not lossing out with a 'dropping' dollar value. ..forex? foreign exchange?

and my LRE rallied 44+% in AM could have turned about .07 - .1o    on 1400 shares eh kind of wishing I got same here geokillah, but deffinatly looking more to a bit of GICs bonds next, keeping LRE regardless just maybe until I've finished the few books on investing.

--------------------
a soul of solitude
but a master of ecstacy

InvisibleConfucian
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #22048777 - 08/05/15 05:24 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Gorlax said:
Need advice on CPRX

I'm in at 2.46... It just hit a 52 week high around 5.80 and has stooped down to 4.90. I just don't want to see these crash back down. I'm hoping the stoops are just sell offs because these are pretty drastic spikes.

I would say if you are extremely paranoid sell on a break below the 50 day moving average ($4.51 but will increase slightly higher tomorrow).

If you are less paranoid put in a stop below $3.50 (say $3.46 to lock in a +$1). $3.50 was a brick wall of resistance in 2013 and 2014 (circled in blue below).

Lastly, pretty awesome support at the 200 day moving average. That's at about $3.70 but this long term trend line (very difficult/slow to change its slope) is on the rise so the long term trend is still up.

Still seems to be making higher highs and lower lows. But it's a pharmaceutical company losing money so super high risk. Just on technical analysis seems ok though.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Stock Update for August 6, 2015 [Re: geokills]
    #22053780 - 08/06/15 02:14 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Yeesh, tough week.  More chop.  In accordance with my constant reminders, I have been treading lightly and holding a lot of cash, but nevertheless still suffered a few paper cuts.  I did sell my small UVXY position today for a neat little profit, and if the S&P closes below its 200 day moving average (or bounces to reapproach its hard resistance at 2135), I will be back in this triple leveraged volatility ETF.

I was fortunate to have bailed out of SUNE earlier this week, as the stock tumbled over 25% today after they announced earnings!  That puts it down 48%+ since July 20th :whoa:!  Further, over 300 million shares traded hands this past week, which is more than the entire float.  Now I'm not one to try to catch a falling knife, but the premium on options is pretty good here with this slaughter, so I waded into a short put position by selling 10 contracts of the August 14th $15.50 puts for a $0.47 credit.  That means that so long as SUNE is above $15.50 (which is another 15%+ lower from today's close) by the end of next week, I get to keep $470.  If it's below $15.50, I'll take assignment on the 1000 shares for a net cost basis of $15.03.  This short put position is roughly a third of what I am comfortable with, so if SUNE takes another meaningful spill tomorrow, I will be selling additional puts.

Not much else to say, same story, different day.  Choppy market, no discernable trend but breadth/leadership continues to narrow and the yellow flags are brighter than they've been for some time.

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflineTravelerOfSorts
sober pro
 User Gallery

Re: Stock Update for August 6, 2015 [Re: geokills]
    #22059876 - 08/07/15 06:01 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.questrade.com/why-questrade/home

free iwatch with joining up

--------------------
a soul of solitude
but a master of ecstacy

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Stock Update for August 10, 2015 [Re: geokills]
    #22071199 - 08/10/15 10:40 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

geokills said:
I was fortunate to have bailed out of SUNE earlier this week, as the stock tumbled over 25% today after they announced earnings!  That puts it down 48%+ since July 20th :whoa:!  Further, over 300 million shares traded hands this past week, which is more than the entire float.  Now I'm not one to try to catch a falling knife, but the premium on options is pretty good here with this slaughter, so I waded into a short put position by selling 10 contracts of the August 14th $15.50 puts for a $0.47 credit.  That means that so long as SUNE is above $15.50 (which is another 15%+ lower from today's close) by the end of next week, I get to keep $470.  If it's below $15.50, I'll take assignment on the 1000 shares for a net cost basis of $15.03.  This short put position is roughly a third of what I am comfortable with, so if SUNE takes another meaningful spill tomorrow, I will be selling additional puts.

SUNE appears to be stabilizing today.  I added to my short put position by selling 10 x Aug 14th $15 puts on Friday for $1 and just sold another 10 x Aug 21st $13 puts for $0.50 today.  I am expecting most if not all of these to expire worthless, however if all of these puts are assigned to me, my net cost basis will be $13.84 on 3000 shares, and I will begin to sell out of the money calls against whatever common shares are put to me, to further lower my basis.

My AMZN iron condor is still working, with AMZN trading smack dab in the middle of the two spreads I sold.  In other news, I bought some AMBA common stock as well as some December $100 calls on WYNN today.  But I'm keeping things fairly small since I don't expect this market to do much else but continue to chop around.  If WYNN starts to move above today's high, I will add to my position under the assumption that the 50 day moving average, which has long held as resistance, will become support as the stock reverts toward its downtrending 200 day moving average, currently around $130.

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflineTravelerOfSorts
sober pro
 User Gallery

Re: Stock Update for August 10, 2015 [Re: geokills]
    #22073196 - 08/10/15 07:20 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

how much money are you making or lossing which ever on these strategys with all the lingo?

and another question from me of course, How does buying bonds work with a self directs account? I am looking at XYH and CYH ishares hedged&junk bonds or what ever How does that work with the interest?

blackrock website really helpful

not sure weather to buy ishares bonds and dividends or attempt to get my own dividends individually

--------------------
a soul of solitude
but a master of ecstacy

Edited by TravelerOfSorts (08/10/15 08:26 PM)

OfflineBambi
Friendly Forrest Animal
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Stock Update for August 10, 2015 [Re: TravelerOfSorts]
    #22074306 - 08/10/15 11:03 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

hey geo, question.

I've noticed you're talking a lot more about options than you did 4 years ago (or at least I'm noticing more). Do you think options are a better way to play the market?

I know ive had a bit of a hesitancy against options because I (being a bit dyslexic) often confuse all of the intricacies.

Do you think I should take the time to really learn how to play options through and through over the next year or so?

Note that I am happy sticking to stocks, but I often see options as an investment tool that looks enticing.

--------------------

"I want to read, talk with my friends via the computer, and enjoy my life now that people know I'm not dead. " -Rom Houben

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom