Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSoulidarity
With Your Halo Slippin . . .
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlantis Flag
Do you know what a Kai Guang Amulet is?
    #17319107 - 12/02/12 06:16 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

so a few weeks back, i was walking through the city in the early morning on my way to work. i had just had a really bad day the day before and it was a time where i was uncertain about my future and my "place" and whether or not i "belonged". i was down and out, and felt betrayed by many people from many different spheres. things were going shit basically.

but while i was walking to the city, a bit more depressed and withdrawn then usual, i encountered a female monk. in the middle of the central business district. dressed in the brightly coloured robes and everything. this is a very peculiar occurence, you'd almost never see anyone dressed in this manner, at this place, at this time. so it naturally garnered my interest.

she approached me and offered me a Kai Guang Amulet. at the time i didn't know what it was. i just thought it was some cool looking shiney gold token. i kind of brushed it off in my mind at the time, but in the back of my mind i noticed something about this woman.

she was a special kind of person. she had this energy and radiance about her. i can't really put it into words, it was some kind of mystical shit. but there was something about her that seemed divine in the way she carried herself. it's almost like she had an aura or presence about her.

it was just a really awesome experience. it all happened just at the right time. and i'm a person who is prone to believing in delusional or un-explainable thangs such as this. that she was sent there or it was purposefully orchestrated that i crossed paths with this person at this point in time. anyway i'm very glad i did.

later on on my lunch break at work, i did some googling about Kai Guang Amulets, and found out that it was a Buddhist thing. it apparently translates to " Safe All One Life " , which i think is really awesome on many different levels. Safe All One Life. think about it.

theres many different interesting ways to approach this phrase. to think about it from a language and translation perspective, it shows how other cultures think, and how different their communications and emphasis must be to have a translation of Safe All One Life.

and then to actually digest the meaning, Peace and Unity. Theres nothing to fear when we Harmonize. We are all one. Solidarity.

I don't know dude. just the way the whole thing unfolded and the meaning of it and all really struck a chord with me. just thought i'd share. :sun:

TL;DR - Buddhism is awesome, you need to meet some monks, they give you shiney golden amulets if you encounter the right ones.

heres a nice sang for y'all too. hope y'all have a good day. :sun:

The XX - Angels (OdyC Remix)

:feelsgoodman:

--------------------

R.I.P. WoodRuss67, Todcasil, TheMerryIguana, The Rompus, Lord Senate.
[/url]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineImmortalZodd
I seek only the strong
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: do you know what a Kai Guang Amulet is? [Re: Soulidarity]
    #17319119 - 12/02/12 06:22 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Cool. Keep it safe. :strokebeard2:

--------------------
...the illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.

Carl Sagan

OfflineSoulidarity
 User Gallery

Re: do you know what a Kai Guang Amulet is? [Re: ImmortalZodd]
    #17319121 - 12/02/12 06:23 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I carry it with me every day now, it sits in my wallet right at the front so i can see its shimmering sparkle everytime i open my wallet. :sun:

--------------------

[/url]

InvisibleSalomon
ಠ︵ಠ balance ಠ_ಠ weaver ಠ‿ಠ
Male
Loc: America, FUCK YEAH Flag
Re: do you know what a Kai Guang Amulet is? [Re: Soulidarity] * 3
    #17319125 - 12/02/12 06:29 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

dirty buddhist hippies

--------------------
EVERYTHING EVENTUALLY BECOMES A DESERT

Offlinehuman experience
Stranger

Re: do you know what a Kai Guang Amulet is? [Re: Salomon]
    #17320010 - 12/02/12 11:09 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

開光 Open Light  護身符 Talisman/Amulet.

You can have it blessed over and over if you ever decide to go into a temple. Mostly used as a reminder to be compassionate and mindful throughout the day (Kuan Yin). Many also believe it can bring luck and protection. Donations are usually common if a gift is given by a monk, yet optional.

Bright robes and Chinese characters.....I think the monk may likely be from Fo Guang Shan 佛光山? One of the larger organizations worldwide. Great Story.

OfflineSoulidarity
 User Gallery

Re: do you know what a Kai Guang Amulet is? [Re: human experience]
    #17320793 - 12/02/12 01:39 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

so is that Open Light amulet the same thing, or a different type of amulet that they commonly offer??

hrmm... now that i think about it, it would be interesting to find out where she was from and what organisation/religious subset/purpose she represented. :strokebeard:

--------------------

[/url]

InvisiblezZZz
jesus
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: do you know what a Kai Guang Amulet is? [Re: Soulidarity] * 1
    #17320912 - 12/02/12 01:59 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

cool story. never heard of such amulets, but it all sounds interesting and i don't doubt it one bit that it was all for you.

such wonders little acts of kindness can bring.

--------------------
https://discord.gg/NHHd5y2Uyv

Offlinehuman experience
Stranger

#17321288 - 12/02/12 03:01 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Soulidarity said:
so is that Open Light amulet the same thing, or a different type of amulet that they commonly offer??

hrmm... now that i think about it, it would be interesting to find out where she was from and what organisation/religious subset/purpose she represented. :strokebeard:

"Safe All One Life" (left side down) Interesting translation.....

一生平安, I would say it's closer to "All (Entire) Life is safe and sound, or peaceful life, or life of peace and security. Whatever one has meaning to you.

"Open light" is written along the bottom. There are endless bracelets, amulets, beads, and necklaces from various temples. It's a common way to receive donations. Most people keep them in their wallets, cars, or homes for protection. The one you received is pretty cool. Good one to start your collection.

OfflineSoulidarity
 User Gallery

Re: do you know what a Kai Guang Amulet is? [Re: human experience]
    #17324678 - 12/03/12 01:59 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

ohh right, thats what it was, the translation of the other stuff on the amulet. thats awesome. it shows alot about the perceptions of different languages and cultures to hear the translations and stuff. as in how their mind works and the way they communicate and stuff. the amulet and all of its messages just wreaks of awesomeness. i'm going to get it blessed again if i ever encounter some other spiritual figures. it's just a cool thang to have around. i don't know if it's my good luck charm or anything yet but i defeinitely have an affinity for the golden thang. :grin:

are you yourself Buddhist?? have you got any similar talismans/amulets?? you seem to have a fair bit of knowledge on these sorts of things and the translations and stuff.

--------------------

[/url]

Offlinemenlee
Old but New
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: do you know what a Kai Guang Amulet is? [Re: Salomon]
    #17325052 - 12/03/12 05:18 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Salomon said:
dirty buddhist hippies

Made me smile thanks great post salomon

Offlinehuman experience
Stranger

#17325232 - 12/03/12 07:08 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Soulidarity said:
have you got any similar talismans/amulets?? you seem to have a fair bit of knowledge on these sorts of things and the translations and stuff.

I have a collection going from the temples/places I have visited in Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, China, Thailand, and Tibet.  Check out "Mala" (Prayer Beads), Prayer Wheels, or Thai Buddha Amulets. Each city in Asia seems to have at least 5 or more Temples and hundreds of monks walking around.

Living and working in the East for several years, I have an appreciation for the dharma and buddhist mind, but the common version in Asia is too superstitious for my tastes. Yet, I am exposed to the culture daily.

Speaking and reading Chinese (or any language) is difficult to learn, but has its advantages. It strengthens business and people seem to take my requests more serious. When you learn another language, you are also learning the culture.

OfflineHerusche
Stranger
Re: Do you know what a Kai Guang Amulet is? [Re: Soulidarity]
    #20092005 - 06/06/14 09:17 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Yes I know what it is. It is a rip off by fake-monks.

There are hundreds of them running around in Thailand and giving a bad reputation to all the others real monks there. They startet to do the same thing in western citys some time ago. I met one a few days back in Frankfurt and he was not satisfied with the amount of money I was donating him for his amulet. He tried to get some more money out of my wallet by himself.

The robes they wear might seem to be very monklike for us western people, but if you know how true monks wear their robe and behave when they are begging, then you know that theses people are pretenders and cheaters.

The amulet is without an adress of a temple or any place you can refer to.

So it is better to keep and safe your money for anyone who is begging for money or playing good musik on street.

If you have the feeling, the amulet is blessed and helpfull for you, then this is true, but has nothing to do with this greedy fake-monks, it has to do with you and your positiv thinking about Guanyin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guanyin

OfflineEastcider
    #20795709 - 11/05/14 08:32 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Wanted to share my story here about this amulet.
I have several spiritual beliefs and have a rather open mind to things like this. I too, had a bad run lately and just yesterday I was intercepted by a monk here in Vancouver, BC.
He offered the gold Kai guang Amulet (exact same as pictured by Soulidarity) and also showed me a wooden bead bracelet which he began to attempt to place it on my wrist as I reached to grab the amulet he was motioning for me to take.
When I took hold of the amulet, it was then he showed me a notebook and pointed to names that had donated 10 and 20 dollars each.
He became restless when I said "I can't pay for these" and I began removing the bracelet but he wasn't pleased by that, visibly. To prevent a scene I said, "Fine, I can give you 5 if you have change." (Judging by the list he had about $200) and I did end up getting 10 change from a 20.
Fair enough, 10 bucks for some good wishes and a not too shabby bracelet as well as a shiny amulet.. Ok maybe not 100% sincere, but I've paid more for less in this life already for things I didn't need. Which is kinda my point.
The timing of it was amusing, as I was wearing a different bracelet and my favorite silver chain, to "keep my good luck going" because things went very well after putting them on for months on end.
I am somewhat superstitious and vowed not to remove them lest I have troubles. Turned out, when I removed the old bracelet I wore for 6 months straight things went to hell at work and home. I didn't realize until yesterday I haven't been wearing the bracelet, I forgot all about it.
I took it off and can't remember why, but the funny thing is, once it was off I look back and see in fact my luck dissolved, my job came out from under me, and after that I fell ill for a time. The day before I met this 'Amulet Man' I ceremoniously removed my silver necklace as my good luck was failing and by removing it, I thought, would enable change for the better.
Surprising it is, that by removing my bracelet and necklace I wore during that phase in my life, was how quickly (next day!) they were  replaced by a different bracelet and amulet to carry through this next phase..
The timing is interesting to me, as removing my worn out lucky charms to prevent further stale luck from haunting me, is so quickly replaced by amulets and talismans..
That's why I don't really feel bad for paying 10 bucks for them. Not only was it timely and fitting in many ways, it's cheaper than another chain or bracelet and it helps the guy out, so why not?
No harm, no foul - just good intentions shared between two people.
  Take care, and be well,
Eastcider.

OfflineSoulidarity
 User Gallery

Re: Do you know what a Kai Guang Amulet is? [Re: Eastcider]
    #20796948 - 11/05/14 02:24 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Hey Eastcider,

Welcome to this corner of the internet, Jedi... There's a lot of cool thangs here.

Interesting story. It's funny how we can place importance on inanimate objects isn't it? I mean, bracelet, shiney golden plastic amulet, a lucky shirt or tie. Maybe something good happens while wearing or encountering one of them. And we mentally annex that object to that positive outlook. And I think that's what it comes down to - hope. Positive outlook. I think whatever someone does to cement that mind state in their psyche, whether consciously or unconsciously, the better off they will be.

It may be superstitious, but for me it works. And that's all that mattersrs.

Just do your own thing and let the rest sort itself out.

Thanks for taking the time to sign up and post.

--------------------

[/url]

OfflineTony2Times
Stranger
Re: Do you know what a Kai Guang Amulet is? [Re: Soulidarity] * 1
    #22025782 - 07/31/15 07:14 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Hey guys,

I was Googling about the Kai Guang Amulet and stumbled upon this forum.

I decided to sign up to share my experience:

One of those monk approached me in Montreal, Canada two weeks ago - he handed me a golden type of card and when I took it, he said a few words in a language I could not understand.

(I was having a very bad day and I thought it was some kind go a positive sign so I went along with it ...)

Then, he put an amulet (small wooden balls bracelet) on my wrist and took out (at the speed of a ninja) a pen and booklet saying "donation, donation". The booklet had a photo of a building being built somewhere in the world - I understood that it was donation to help build a temple. When I said I had no money, he took the amulet and card back and walked away. It left me surprised to say the least.

Today, I saw another one of those monks and I decided to play their game. I walked passed him and slowed down. He looked at me, approached me and same scenario: few words in foreign language, handed me the golden card, put the amulet on my wrist, "donation, donation" - this time, I asked "how much can I give" - he said "anything" - I had a quarter (a 25 cents coin) ready. I said "I don't have too much money on me" - he asked "how much?" - I showed him the quarter - he said "ohh no" (pointing at already written "donations": $10, $20, $40) - I said "that's all I have and my credit cards" - he said and repeated "ATM, ATM, ATM?" - I said "no, sorry, that's all I have, didn't you say "anything""? - he smiled and didn't know what to say - I kept the golden card, the amulet, said thank you and walked away.

I walk the city few hours every day and I notice that there are several "monks" walking the city of Montreal currently and even a woman "monk".

IMO, I think it's nothing else but a scam.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Tony2Times (07/31/15 09:25 PM)

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #22026014 - 07/31/15 08:11 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

That's a cool looking amulet, and would make for a nice conversation piece, but I'm afraid to tell you it doesn't have any magical powers. But remember, since it's supposed to bring good things into one's life, that the lady that gave it to you had nice intentions, anyway. Rather sweet of her actually.

InvisibleAroundtheSon
Learning to See
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest.
Re: Do you know what a Kai Guang Amulet is? [Re: Le_Canard]
    #22026841 - 08/01/15 01:46 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

This thread made me sad.

OfflineSoulidarity
 User Gallery

Re: Do you know what a Kai Guang Amulet is? [Re: AroundtheSon]
    #22026866 - 08/01/15 01:56 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Why?

--------------------

[/url]

InvisiblezZZz
jesus
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#22026870 - 08/01/15 01:58 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

a. cuz he didn't get one

b. cuz monks are being greedy

or

c. sad means happy to him

--------------------
https://discord.gg/NHHd5y2Uyv

OfflineSoulidarity
 User Gallery

Re: Do you know what a Kai Guang Amulet is? [Re: Tony2Times]
    #22026884 - 08/01/15 02:02 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Tony2Times said:
Hey guys,

I was Googling about the Kai Guang Amulet and stumbled upon this forum.

I decided to sign up to share my experience:

One of those monk approached me in Montreal, Canada two weeks ago - he handed me a golden type of card and when I took it, he said a few words in a language I could not understand.

(I was having a very bad day and I thought it was some kind go a positive sign so I went along with it ...)

Then, he put an amulet (small wooden balls bracelet) on my wrist and took out (at the speed of a ninja) a pen and booklet saying "donation, donation". The booklet had a photo of a building being built somewhere in the world - I understood that it was donation to help build a temple. When I said I had no money, he took the amulet and card back and walked away. It left me surprised to say the least.

Today, I saw another one of those monks and I decided to play their game. I walked passed him and slowed down. He looked at me, approached me and same scenario: few words in foreign language, handed me the golden card, put the amulet on my wrist, "donation, donation" - this time, I asked "how much can I give" - he said "anything" - I had a quarter (a 25 cents coin) ready. I said "I don't have too much money on me" - he asked "how much?" - I showed him the quarter - he said "ohh no" (pointing at already written "donations": $10, $20, $40) - I said "that's all I have and my credit cards" - he said and repeated "ATM, ATM, ATM?" - I said "no, sorry, that's all I have, didn't you say "anything""? - he smiled and didn't know what to say - I kept the golden card, the amulet, said thank you and walked away.

I walk the city few hours every day and I notice that there are several "monks" walking the city of Montreal currently and even a woman "monk".

IMO, I think it's nothing else but a scam.

I hope this helps.

In reality, yes i think its about donations. i wouldn't say a scam, but yes, they are looking for money i guess. It sounds a bit much that the monk was saying " ATM, ATM, ATM ". The ones i have usually just accept anything i give them.

Eitherway - i didn't care. it was a good experience for myself and the one that presented to myself seemed very genuine and had some indescribable specialness to her.

I don't see them very often. I've only seen them walking around maybe 2-3 times in as many years. Definitely not a regular occurence.

its interesting that your amulet is almost identical to mine - which was given to me in Australia.

Also, those beads you have with yours there, look almost identical to the EDC beads they send out in the ticket box they send you with all the tickets and everything.

--------------------

[/url]

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder